Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My story (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,107

My story (long)

May 1, 2008, 10:39 AM

Five years ago, I walked onto this campus as an 18 year old boy. My first class in the summer of 2003 was in the most recognizable building on campus: Tillman Hall.

I had no idea how much of an effect this place would have on me. I remember hanging out with the guys of Byrnes 7th floor like it was yesterday. Walking to Schilletter and getting sandwiches loaded with meat by Ms. Sue. Picking my brother up every Friday from Sirrine to go eat at Dyar's Diner where we would have the most delicious country steak and bread pudding. I also remember getting excited because if we made it early enough, we would get to see Danny Ford.

Then, I remember waiting out in line for Wake Forest football tickets sophomore year. Tommy Bowden came by and was nice enough to talk and take pictures with us. Going to Fike to play basketball at night when you should be studying for a test. Then I remember switching majors in the spring and my advisor telling me I'd have to spend another year in God's Country.

My third year started out in the Ridge. The brand new Ridge. I remember simply walking across to Bowman all the time to throw football and baseball. Seeing all the beautiful Clemson women laying out. I found out one of my friends had the same love and passion for Clemson football that I did and we decided to go to every game in 2005. I remember the road trips to Wake Forest, Maryland, NC State, Georgia Tech, and South Carolina.

Then I moved to University Place for my fourth year. I continued the Dyar's tradition with another of my friends. However, we would sometimes change and go to Wild Wings in Anderson for the wing buffet. I remember intramural softball with 11 of my good friends. The Tom Emanski All-Stars weren't that great, but we had fun playing. I got to experience College Gameday and "KaMichael Hall: see ya, Kenny Scott: goodbye!" I remember having to work for the entire 2005 home schedule in the press box where you can't cheer. This carried over into the first few games of the 2006 season. The first game I returned to the stands in 2006 was Louisiana Tech. Before the game started, when the alma mater was played, tears welled up in my eyes. That could only happen at a place like Clemson. It is true what they say: There is something in these hills.

And finally this year. I will miss Tiger Town Tavern, Backstreet's, the Esso Club, TD's, and Loose Change. I will miss Wednesday night trivia at TigerTown. I can't believe that it is almost over for me.

I would like to thank several people for my experiences.

First off, I would like to thank Tigernet. Thank you for being a part of my life everyday for the past 4 years. It's good to know there are people just as sick as me. ;)

I would also like to thank Tommy Bowden, who endures a lot of criticism but still sticks with it. Oliver Purnell, for taking on a monumental task and doing a great job. Jack Leggett, for always keeping us in the hunt.

Derrick Hamilton, Charlie Whitehurst, Jad Dean, Reggie Merriweather, James Davis, Chansi Stuckey, C.J. Spiller, Aaron Kelly, Charles Bennett, Cory Groover, Jamie Harper, and all the others who put their heart and soul into playing for Clemson.

Shawon Robinson, Akin Akingbala, Vernon Hamilton, James Mays, Sam Perry, Cliff Hammonds, K.C. Rivers, Terrence Oglesby, and all the others who have made Clemson basketball good again.

Kris Harvey, Taylor Harbin, Andy D'Alessio, Stan Widmann, Brad Chalk, Travis Storrer, and Tyler Colvin for that great run to the CWS.

My brother for guiding me along the way my freshman year. My friend Matt who was crazy enough to spend all that money and go to every game for two years.

Most of all, to my parents. Thank you for everything. I couldn't possibly thank you in enough words. My dad, who has been a diabetic for 42 years, did not think he would live to see me graduate high school. Well, he is one week away from seeing my graduate from the greatest institution on Earth.

So today, with my exam at 1:00, I will complete a journey that has made me a better person and a man. But more than just a man...a Clemson man. Today, around 2:00, I will walk out of my last exam from the same building that I took my first class in: Tillman Hall.

In the famous words of Robert Earl Keen: The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it me or did that ending feel like you were watching the

May 1, 2008, 10:47 AM

grammy's or some other awards show ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

congrats. but you forgot to thank your agent.***

May 1, 2008, 10:50 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best thing I have read on here in quite a while. Thanks and

May 1, 2008, 10:57 AM

CONGRATULATIONS !

Except it is a very sad day ! :)

someone should start a travel agency...

May 1, 2008, 11:22 AM

that lets relive college for a week

you stay in your choice of dorm, off campus apartment, or a house.

you get passes to off campus partys, atheltic events, mixers, and happy hours.

you have passes to all campus dinning halls

it would have a list of which bars are busy on which nights.

you would have basketball games organized in fike and flag football games on the fields.

a round of golf at the walker course

and your room would have a playstation and an x-box.

of course no classes

Clemson

My friend and I had basically the same idea, except

May 1, 2008, 11:55 AM

you'd still have classes, but the fun ones, like golf, tennis, sports officiating, shag, etc. Could even add some other ones like bartending 101, Clemson athletics history, etc. Of course, no penalties for sleeping thru them.

A half day on Lake Hartwell, coupons to all the restaurants downtown, lunch at Mac's, and on and on.

You'd see a lot of grown men cry when it was time to leave, though.

Re: My friend and I had basically the same idea, except

May 1, 2008, 12:34 PM

Yeah, you need to have class so you can see the ladies. Maybe sunbathing 101, meets at bowman beach, or behind hendrix. a necessity

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Great story, can't believe it's been almost six years

May 1, 2008, 11:57 AM

since I graduated.

I purposely left off one of my English classes, so I would have to stay one more summer and graduate in August. After 5 years of ChE, I needed 3 months to have some real fun up there.

You sound like you are saying goodbye......

May 1, 2008, 11:59 AM

the internet works everwhere for Tigernet. You can take annual leave anytime and come back. There will be more names that will still make Tiger football, basketball, and baseball something special. There are TV broadcasts and you always listen to WCCPFM via the web to watch or listen to the games. Point is, it will be a little different when you graduate but you get your own money and a lot more of it AND you still get to be a part of the family :) Clemson will always be part of you, that will never change.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,107
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic