Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Re: Suspensions---As a judge, I just gotta get this off ....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 852

Re: Suspensions---As a judge, I just gotta get this off ....

Oct 28, 2004, 2:14 PM

my chest. I've been a trial court judge for 18 years. As such, I am usually a lightening rod for those dissatisfied with the criminal justice system. No matter where I go (Rotary Club, breakfast at a local restaurant, wherever) people carp about what they perceive to be a dysfunctional criminal justice system. Courts are said to coddle criminals,to give them light sentences, and to have no concern for the rights of the victim.

BUT whenever someone faces the prospect of someone he is close to (family member, trusted employee, or athlete on that person's college team) being drawn into the justice system (including student disciplinary proceedings), they suddenly turn into card-carrying members of the ACLU,insisting that all due poocess protections be accorded to the accused and, more importantly, accepting as the gospel truth everything the defendant says. In the case of the recent campus fight, the university is prohibited by federal privacy laws from saying anything, So, without question, only one side of the story is being told.

I hope those who have posted here to roundly criticize the university do not have jobs where they must make important decisions, or if they do, I hope that they make decisions the proper way--after hearing all the information, not just a one sided version handed out through a news release.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed...

Oct 28, 2004, 2:21 PM

probably not a bad idea to make your voice heard to the Clemson "Heads"

why does the legal system send so many gay men to prison?***

Oct 28, 2004, 2:28 PM

Question: When a judge says to someone in court...

Oct 28, 2004, 2:36 PM

"I won't have you wasting time in 'my' courtroom," aren't they being arrogant? Doesn't the courtroom belong to and serve the public? Is the purpose of court to be expedient or to serve the public and see that justice is served?

My wife is a lawyer and I saw her in court where the defendants she was going against needed an extension b/c of new facts that came into play. I don't know the whole story but the judge told the defendent that he won't push back cases in his court just to suit them. It struck me as very odd.

Re: Question: When a judge says to someone in court...

Oct 28, 2004, 2:52 PM

The language you quoted is inappropiate, in my opinion. I will say, however that judges generally spend a lot of valuable time listening to lawyers argue over whether one side or the other should be excused from some deadline that was imposed long ago. I'm not saying that was true in your wife's case, of course, but in my court it is not unusual for lawyers to request postponements, extensions and delays, while at the same time blaming the judge, or the legal system (when explaining the delay to their clients).

Here comes da judge, here comes da judge****

Oct 28, 2004, 2:44 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmm

The Wire is awesome. Will McNaulty ever get Stringer?***

Oct 28, 2004, 2:50 PM

Yes

Oct 28, 2004, 2:55 PM

i am B-more born and bred so The Wire is naturally, my favorite show. although it portrays Baltimore in a negative light, there are several areas of the city that are just like they are shown. anyone with a brain knows simply not to go to those areas. the rest of the city is pretty nice.

that being said, the answer is yes, he will get Stringer, but Avon may get rid of him first. that situation is coming to a head and i think Avon might off Stringer before the end of this season. i have met a couple of the actors around town including Keema and Herc. pretty nice people.

if you see Bubs, tell him I got an old radiator he can have***

Oct 28, 2004, 3:02 PM

seen him too

Oct 28, 2004, 3:11 PM

i've seen him at local bars. he looks a lot different cleaned up. i'll be sure to pass on the message. i'll ask him how "mcnutty" is doing.

Replies: 9
| visibility 852
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic