Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FIRE (Fill-in-the Blank) !!!!!! Posts . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 748

FIRE (Fill-in-the Blank) !!!!!! Posts . . .

Oct 26, 2007, 5:56 PM

Ok, I'm usually very nice and civil on this board, but I'm getting tired of you MORONS who, every time a big name coach loses or screws up, get on here and post sarcastic garbage suggesting that those who haven't donated their firstborns to Bowden are somehow rabid reactionaries that can never be satisfied. If the Patriots lose to the Colts you'd be on here saying "SEE, Belichick lost, his team gave up a big play, got a kick blocked, blah blah blah. All to suggest what? Your comments - by their substance and frequency suggest that if Bowden has the least little thing in commmon with any coach, such as having two ears and a nose - then Bowden must therefore compare favorably!!!!!

Bill Clinton isn't a Republican merely b/c his hair is the same color as Newt Gingrich's. My mother is not a Nazi merely b/c she had the same color eyes as Hitler! And Helen Thomas isn't as pretty as Sandra Bullock merely b/c she, too, has teeth. FOR GOODNESS SAKE EINSTEIN was on the short side, so are all short people just scientific geniuses waiting to explode! NO! AND GUESS WHAT, ALL COACHES LAY EGGS. Losing a game, underperforming from time to time, getting a kick blocked, and even having a bad season doesn't mean that Tommy Bowden is your PEER. Guess what, it is about consistency, and meeting potential. Others have the same struggles as Bowden . . .
JUST NOT PERPETUALLY!!

Now I'm not saying is a crime to disagree with me on this point. But for goodness sake WHATEVER side of this issue you're on, -WHATEVER SIDE - please OH FREAKIN' PLEASE just ARGUE on the merits of the position itself. If Bowden's the biggest and best football genius in the history of the universe, then fine, but don't expect to convince people of it merely by pointing out every one else's OCCASIONAL imperfections - especially when we can all CLEARLY SEE that those folks don't have a CHRONIC regular, predictable, HABIT OF laying fat ones in the crapper!!
GOOD DAY!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somebody who speaks in tongues please interpret this post!! ***

Oct 26, 2007, 6:06 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen. Also, point for pluralizing "post" correctly.***

Oct 26, 2007, 6:06 PM

I'm afraid you lost me there! What do you mean***

Oct 26, 2007, 6:10 PM

Tons of people on here think the plural of "post" is "post".***

Oct 26, 2007, 6:26 PM

POst of the DAY!!!***

Oct 26, 2007, 6:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

FIRE BUD FOSTER!!!

Oct 26, 2007, 7:41 PM

I mean, GEEZ...he's named after cheap domestic and foreign beers. Name one other successful coach named after two beers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No offense but this post sucks balls.***

Oct 26, 2007, 6:47 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you meant "kicks," not "sucks."***

Oct 26, 2007, 7:48 PM

i fell asleep half way through..

Oct 26, 2007, 6:47 PM

so we should fire you because you didnt motivate me to finish.

haha i kid i kid

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Oct 26, 2007, 7:35 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

What did you say?????

Huh***

Oct 26, 2007, 7:02 PM

Hey Great! I'll make a deal with you...

Oct 26, 2007, 7:07 PM

If the "FIRE BOWDEN" crowd will stop pointing to every sentence CTB finishes with a preposition as justification for firing and possibly incarcerating him, AND stop telling us how infallable the rest of these coaches are, then the rest of us will stop pointing to the numerous times these coaches actually screw up EXACTLY the things for which they are worshipped.

null

Regarding the first point....

Oct 26, 2007, 7:09 PM

can we still point out the instances in which he puts the word "done" before a verb or uses "was" after "we" and "you"?

badge-ringofhonor-elscorcho.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The committee will review your argument. ******

Oct 26, 2007, 7:13 PM

null

umm, you've got it backwards . . .

Oct 26, 2007, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Hey Great! I'll make a deal with you... ]

the hyper-defensiveness OF Bowden came first. That criticism leveled on him subsequent to problems is justified of it's own merit when his record is held up to the light - and thus no one owes it to anyone else for any reason to apologize for that.

It was the NORMAL type of criticism that inspired the insipid and sarcastic responses of those that would defend Bowden if he were caught on tape murdering the Pope. And in response to THAT there has been a good deal of over the top criticism and over analyzation of TB's every word and move, and yes, it is wrong. But make no mistake, the latter is the cause of the former, not the reverse. So I suggest that those who are willing to defend Bowden even if Jesus came down and equated him to Judas, - I suggest that those folks calm down, recognize the merits and resonableness of what some critics are saying - retract all the sarcasm and suggestions of insatiable "militant" fanbases, and then watch in awe as the number of overly critical minutiae comments drops as a natural result of not being pummeled so often.

LOL! You're crazy! People were not overly-defensive

Oct 26, 2007, 8:02 PM

about Bowden before every component of the man was under attack!

That is hilarious!

null

sure they were . . . as early as

Oct 26, 2007, 8:10 PM

2002 AT LEAST that early, any critique of TB's job performance got immediate jeers of disloyalty, insatiability, impatience, unreasonable expectations, and the like. Couple with the vitriolic tone with which it took, it is easily classified as overly-defensive. It has continued to this day on this and other boards.

This doesn't mean that those who are decidely in favor of retaining Coach Bowden need to shut up or go away. It just means that it is high time that anyone with another opinion isn't kicked to the curb as if they were a fair-weather fan or general menace.

And just for the record - I'm not a big fan of Bowden's performance thus far, but I'm not in favor of a mid-season fire. Nor am I decided that he should be fired at all. I'm on the fence so to speak.

Well, agree to disagree, because I sure as heck won't be

Oct 26, 2007, 8:20 PM

doing the legwork to confirm if it was the chicken or the egg.

I will say that trying to defend CTB after a loss will get your head ripped off in exactly the same way that you are describing.

I'm not sure how you can be this impassioned to argue that people who are unreasonably defensive for CTB need to stop so those who are unreasonably antagonistic don't feel intimidated on a message board. Perhaps those who have had enough of CTB should feel more comfortable to express their concerns in ridiculous, counterproductive ways. Power to the people.

null

where are you getting this . . .

Oct 26, 2007, 8:31 PM

What do you mean by this impassioned and me worrying about message board intimidation? You yourself suggested that WHEN TB bashers stop being nitpicky - the others would stop pointing out the coaches they worhsipped making mistakes - suggesting that the TB supporters are only holding down the fort for their side in light of all the nitpicky attacks from the TB bashers. Yet when I say something similar I'm "impassioned" in defense of non-intimidation? I think you're overanalyzing that - I'm just convinced of my side like you are yours. I'm not crying serious foul by suggesting the TB folks back off any more than you are by suggesting the TB bashers back off.

Look, it's not that kind of a serious thing - I'm not worried about folks being intimidated. But the conversation is uselessly cluttered by people on either side that over-react. I just happen to think that the majority (though by no means all) of the snappiness has come from the TB defenders.

Again...

Oct 26, 2007, 8:42 PM

"But the conversation is uselessly cluttered by people on either side that over-react."

...well said, but...

"I just happen to think that the majority (though by no means all) of the snappiness has come from the TB defenders."

...we just disagree.

null

and one other thing . . .

Oct 26, 2007, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Hey Great! I'll make a deal with you... ]

you said that the rest of you point to the "numerous times those coaches actually screw up EXACTLY the things for which they are worshipped."

You see, THAT is not what you do. That is technically impossible. And the reason is that your presupposition is wrong. Your presupposition is that those coaches are "worshipped," as you put it, for being flawless on such matters. Thus, with that as your presupposition, the argument flows from there that when those coaches screw up in said area, that those who worship them for those things are proved inaccurate in their assessments.

But here's the truth. Those coaches don't get pointed out and praised based on any assumption that they are immune from bad games, struggles with certain phases of the game, bad gameplans from time to time, bad player discipline, or even bad years. No, they get praised for not having those problems CHRONICALLY, PREDICTABLY. They get praised PRECISELY BECAUSE bad performances/gamplans or whatever are the exceptions rather than the rule - that indeed those exceptions PROVE the rule. It's the CONSISTENCY of results, not perfection, that they are praised for. Therefore, when a coach screws up in an area, his perfection may be marred, but his consistency on the whole remains, and thus that does NOT constitute "screw[ing] up EXACTLY the things for which they are worshipped."

Therefore, you are attempting take folks to task for claims they are making - namely that all these other coaches perform without fail. The reason you do so is b/c were you to take on the real argument regarding compartive consistency - the logic would hold no water.

Look, I clearly won't win an argument with a guy who

Oct 26, 2007, 8:16 PM

uses "presupposition" on a message board on a Friday night.

You are nuts if you think that people posted the "FIRE BEAMER" posts before there was a constant barrage of "FIRE BOWDEN"-esque posts. I agree that it is a stupid argument, but no more stupid than the people who take every quote out of a Bowden press conference, interpret it in the worst possible way, and then scream about how awful it is. The difference is, one is foolishly bashing OUR coach, and the other is foolishly bashing some other team's coach.

null

the difference is

Oct 26, 2007, 8:25 PM

that the default reaction - not just to folks that REALLY "BASH" Bowden, but to even those to take issue with his job performance based on record - the DEFAULT attitude is to whip out the Beamer type comments. The failure to distinguish between Bowden criticizers and Bowden bashers is the problem. To many, they are one and the same.

And to be clear, I wasn't making any claim that they particular method of making the point in the "Fire Beamer" style dates back to 2001 or 2002 - all I conveyed was that an overly defensive reaction was in the works at that time too, regardless of whether that particular method was used or not.

So you claim that the problem is that people aren't

Oct 26, 2007, 8:40 PM

distinguishing between Bowden Bashers and Bowden Criticizers. Possibly. Would you also agree, though, that another problem is that those who no longer believe in CTB can't distinguish Bowden Supporters and Bowden Worshippers (often referred to as "apologists")?

After the GT game, there was so much ridiculous venom on this board toward CTB, I'm sure many people became overly-defensive. Too many of the posts were WAAAAY over the top. Insulting his character, mocking his religion, blaming him for every little thing that went wrong with the team. Completely belittling the man. Many of us recognize that THAT sort of public comments can do absolutely ZERO good for the program...they can only hurt. So, if they were overly-defensive, I say too bad. Not that it's "right", but I'd prefer people getting overly-defensive about their coach than overly-defensive about their right to attack their coach.

Well-crafted argument, by the way. Kudos.

null

Why is everyone yelling!!! haha***

Oct 26, 2007, 8:38 PM

Re: FIRE (Fill-in-the Blank) !!!!!! Posts . . .

Oct 27, 2007, 12:10 AM

That has to be the longest post I've seen (yet). My ADHD kicked in but I tried lOL.

Replies: 26
| visibility 748
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic