Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ouch
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

ouch

May 31, 2007, 8:36 AM

For some reason outside of common sense, there are some Clemson fans who believe the team is ''this close'' to winning an ACC championship.

Then again, they were ''close'' in both 2000 and 2003.

After the humiliating implosion that was the 2006 regular season and before heading into Nashville to lose to Kentucky in the Music City Bowl, Coach Tommy Bowden held a press conference and stated, "Two straight years we are just one point away. Now, on the other end, I do think that shows signs that we are close."

Right.

It's true that if Clemson had just one more conference win, the team would have represented the Atlantic Division and played in the ACC title game against Georgia Tech. But Bowden's "one point away" excuse is little more than, well, an excuse.

Fact is, Clemson perennially ends up around sixth in the conference when all is said and done, period. For the past bunch of years, the Tigers have always had a total collapse somewhere in the season that lasts between three and five games and ends up costing them their shot at the conference title. It has certainly been this way throughout most of Bowden's tenure.

Forget Bowden's "one point away" theory and consider Clemson's overall ACC standing since he took the reins. The following rankings have been re-weighted to take into consideration head-to-head wins and losses, which apparently wasn't done years ago:

2006 FINAL ACC STANDINGS
1. Wake Forest 6-2
2. Georgia Tech 7-1
3. Virginia Tech 6-2
4. Boston College 5-3
5. Maryland 5-3
6. Clemson 5-3
7. Virginia 4-4
8. Florida State 3-5
9. Miami (FL) 3-5
10. North Carolina 2-6
11. North Carolina State 2-6
12. Duke 0-8

2005 FINAL ACC STANDINGS
1. Florida State 5-3
2. Virginia Tech 7-1
3. Miami (FL) 6-2
4. Boston College 5-3
5. Georgia Tech 5-3
6. Clemson 4-4
7. North Carolina 4-4
8. North Carolina State 3-5
9. Maryland 3-5
10. Wake Forest 3-5
11. Virginia 3-5
12. Duke 0-8

2004 FINAL ACC STANDINGS
1. Virginia Tech 7-1
2. Florida State 6-2
3. Miami (FL) 5-3
4. Virginia 5-3
5. North Carolina 5-3
6. Georgia Tech 4-4
7. Clemson 4-4
8. North Carolina State 3-5
9. Maryland 3-5
10. Wake Forest 1-7
11. Duke 1-7

2003 FINAL ACC STANDINGS
1. Florida State 7-1
2. Maryland 6-2
3. Clemson 5-3
4. Virginia 4-4
5. North Carolina State 4-4
6. Georgia Tech 4-4
7. Wake Forest 3-5
8. Duke 2-6
9. North Carolina 1-7

2002 FINAL ACC STANDINGS
1. Florida State 7-1
2. Maryland 6-2
3. Virginia 6-2
4. North Carolina State 5-3
5. Georgia Tech 4-4
6. Clemson 4-4
7. Wake Forest 3-5
8. North Carolina 1-7
9. Duke 0-8

2001 FINAL ACC STANDINGS
1. Maryland 7-1
2. Florida State 5-2
3. North Carolina 5-3
4. Georgia Tech 4-3
6. Clemson 3-4
7. Wake Forest 3-5
8. Virginia 3-5
9. Duke 0-7

2000 FINAL ACC STANDINGS
1. Florida State 8-0
2. Georgia Tech 6-2
3. Clemson 6-2
4. Virginia 5-3
6. North Carolina 3-5
7. Maryland 3-5
8. Wake Forest 1-7
9. Duke 0-8

1999 FINAL ACC STANDINGS
1. Florida State 8-0
2. Georgia Tech 5-3
3. Clemson 5-3
4. Virginia 5-3
5. North Carolina State 3-5
6. Duke 3-5
7. Wake Forest 3-5
8. Maryland 2-6
9. North Carolina 2-6

As you can see, the absolute highest Clemson has risen in the ACC was No. 3, done on three separate occasions. But even in third place, to put it in baseball terms, in 1999 Clemson was four games out from being the champ, and three in both 2000, and 2003. That's not exactly one game away.

Bowden's teams have ranked sixth four times, third three times and seventh once. But the addition of three new teams since 2004 impact these numbers because -- although ACC teams still play eight conference opponents each year -- there are now more conference teams to outrank from an overall standpoint. So to mathematically adjust the earlier years to mimic a 12-team conference, Bowden's teams are looking at an adjusted ranking of:

'06: sixth
'05: sixth
'04: sixth
'03: fourth
'02: eighth
'01: eighth
'00: fourth
'99: fourth

Recalculated with these adjusted rankings, the team's average conference ranking throughout Bowden's Clemson career is 5.95 out of 12 (let's just say sixth). In terms of conference record, that's just under .500 and is clearly mediocre, below average, ho-hum, and so forth.

Far from being "close."

Bowden has proven that he is incapable of bringing an ACC crown to Clemson, and excuses make him look desperate.

From the looks of things, it appears that the number of fans who want Bowden out and an elite replacement hired are growing. They view him as the one constant in the Tigers' era of mediocrity, because for the past eight years there have been changes in players, assistant coaches and even athletic directors. Not coach, though.

Original Clemson Tigers insight, courtesy of RealFootball365.com.

Message was edited by: STERLING®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is "clemson nation" ready to pay two to three times bowden's

May 31, 2007, 8:42 AM

salary to the next guy?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY***

May 31, 2007, 9:17 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

are there not divisions now? we were 1, yes 1, game away

May 31, 2007, 8:44 AM

from going to the ACC Championship game if Wake went with a 5-3 record and we were 6-2, the year before FSU went, and we were 1, yes 1, game away with them being 5-3 and us at 4-4

Bitter Bitter Bitter***

May 31, 2007, 8:47 AM

so does anyone think our 2000 team was better than the last

May 31, 2007, 8:50 AM

two year's teams? I don't, despite the better conference record

Re: so does anyone think our 2000 team was better than the last

May 31, 2007, 8:52 AM

Poppa do not bring logic into this. It will not allow the non-athletic trolls like sterling to post their crap.

*******DISCLAIMER********* My intent of this post was not to upset the manginas who frequent some of the boards.

What if Bowden left and Rodriguez was promoted?

May 31, 2007, 8:56 AM [ in reply to so does anyone think our 2000 team was better than the last ]

poppa tiger is right the 2000 team is not as good as our past 2 teams, however with Rodriguez, we go the most out of the least..our coaching especially on the offensive side of the ball made the difference in the record...he had a coherent offense who utilized what we had...we did some trick plays, and looked organized. I dont remember too many bubble screens either. I would like to throw this out...if Bowden would have left for West Virginia, and Rodrguez was promoted to head coach, based on his tenure at WVU, would Clemson have prospered over the past 5 years? I think so.

not so sure about that...Rich Rod plays in a weak conference

May 31, 2007, 8:58 AM

and has one real impressive win imo, the peach bowl over uga two years ago...he lost to south florida last year and was beaten soundly two years ago by vpi, much the same way we were this past year

Big East is getting better and they upgraded when they got

May 31, 2007, 11:49 AM

rid of Miami and signed on Louisville.

Would he coach up our boys better? Maybe. Would he

May 31, 2007, 9:05 AM [ in reply to What if Bowden left and Rodriguez was promoted? ]

have our QB throw more than just bubble screens? Maybe. Would the special teams not suck? Maybe. Would "all" those "extra" wins turn the program back to its 'glory days'? Maybe.

OR...

Would the WEZ have been built? Would our recruiting be markedly better? Would we have beaten FSU 3 out of the last 4 years, including in Tally for the first time in 17 years? Would we have kicked the Chickens 63-17 on their home turf? Maybe not.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

LOL..."elite replacement hired "

May 31, 2007, 8:50 AM

good luck with that. Fulmers won a national championship and lots of Tennessee fans want him gone. Same with Penn State, Texas, until Mack Brown finally won one (remember they ran him out of NC because he was a loser). I know plenty of Georgia fans that want Richt gone because he can't seem to get to the NC game. Just can't get them past the hump to the big game. I don't know if Bowden can get Clemson to the ACC championship but I know a lot of Clemson fans that don't want him to do it because then they will have another reason not to fire him. I believe that Bowdens got 2 years tops to win an ACC championship. If not he's gone no matter how many students he graduates.

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

"they ran him out of NC because he was a loser" ?!?!?!

May 31, 2007, 8:58 AM

Nothing could be further from the truth. By and large, UNC fans absolutely loved Mack Brown and were very disappointed when he resigned his position at UNC to accept the job at Texas. In his last year at UNC, Mack Bown's team was 11-1 and rakked 4th nationally which was his third 10 win season (second consecutive) in ten years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I reacted the same way to that comment. Hilarious

May 31, 2007, 9:13 AM

how viewpoints change over time. Or it could just be that this poster is uninformed.

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Other than his first two seasons at UNC....

May 31, 2007, 9:19 AM

where he was a combined 2-20, he did pretty well. In his last six seasons he compiled a win/loss record of 54-19 which included one 9 win season and three 10 win seasons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

and I stand corrected about Brown

May 31, 2007, 9:51 AM [ in reply to "they ran him out of NC because he was a loser" ?!?!?! ]

being run out of UNC because he was a loser.

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

UNC did'nt run Mack Brown away cause is was a loser

May 31, 2007, 9:03 AM [ in reply to LOL..."elite replacement hired " ]

Mack Brown told unc to kiss his ### cause he had NO support.

realfootball365.com.....hack journalism at it's finest***

May 31, 2007, 8:51 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Paging Tooka.***

May 31, 2007, 8:53 AM

Don't you mean "Shaking the #### Cheese" ??

May 31, 2007, 10:32 AM

lol.

Funny how you can spin numbers to prove just about any

May 31, 2007, 8:55 AM

point of view. What I saw was a coach who has NEVER had a losing season. You may not want to hear it - because it certainly doesn't support your position - but when TB says we were one win away from the ACCCG, he is correct.

Reminds me of this quote from our current RB coach.....

May 31, 2007, 9:00 AM

Andre Powell....

"Statistics are like loose women.... Once you have them, you can pretty much do anything you want with them."

Hope you had a ball in Memphis!

May 31, 2007, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Funny how you can spin numbers to prove just about any ]

Thank goodness for 60 teams making bowls. Good thing they've added so many new ones or else we couldn't have experienced the thrill of KY's home bowl win!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ruh roh!***

May 31, 2007, 9:00 AM

Re: ouch

May 31, 2007, 9:02 AM

well your little statistical thing at the end was about as slanted as possible.

null

Mine? LOL!***

May 31, 2007, 9:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes your bull #### adjustments at the bottom that assume

May 31, 2007, 9:04 AM

we would lose to teams that weren't even in the league yet. Those Bull #### adjustments are the ones I'm talking about. Also how about the fact that Bowden wasn't given the assets that he was promised when he took the job until 2 years ago?

null

Sterling forgot to site his sources***

May 31, 2007, 9:05 AM

Yes, and he needs to clear that up b/c it looks like its his***

May 31, 2007, 9:07 AM

so, since this guy went back and readjusted for the new

May 31, 2007, 9:03 AM

teams, does Danny lose the 88 acc title since we lost to FSU, and do the loss and the tie to BC in the Flutie years get added back in to the equation? just asking

What a waste of time...

May 31, 2007, 9:05 AM

last time I checked, if Clemson won one more game the last two seasons, it would have played for the ACCCG. I guess that still means Clemson was fifth in the conference...

Considering

more than 300 folks have read this message, and only 2 have voted positively for it, I question this sentence in the last paragraph:

"From the looks of things, it appears that the number of fans who want Bowden out and an elite replacement hired are growing."

easy with the facts***

null

Bowden's days are numbered, and he knows it.

He may survive a mediocre season this year, but if he doesnt win 10 in the 2008 season he is done.

This year I personally believe the magic regular season record is 8-4. If Bowden goes 8-4 and beats USC...he keeps his job. If he goes 8-4 and loses to USC ......it will be hard for him to stay employed.

Anything less than 8 wins and Bowden is gone, 9+ wins he will see a 2 to 4 year extenstion (buyout will certainly not be as steep as the 4mil after 2003 season)

Bowden Haters and Supporters all want the same thing, for Clemson to return to its rightful place. If Bowden can get us there....W00T!!!! more power to him!!! but the excuse will only be acceptable for so long.

Fact has it.. he won't be able to

May 31, 2007, 10:36 AM

Playing in the ACCCG will be a must this year. No more excuses for shortcomings. You'll see.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ouch

May 31, 2007, 9:09 AM

As an old insurance salesman once told me: "Figures don't lie but liars sure can figure". If we ran Bowden off which "high profile" coach do you think that we could drag in and how long before you would start bashing him?

I heard Lou Holtz is looking for a job...

May 31, 2007, 9:15 AM

;)

for all Bowden haters!!!!

May 31, 2007, 9:21 AM

Some people just don't want ayone to be successful. For all you Bowden Haters who continually put down his abilities let me shed some light on a few things.

First of all look at the recruiting classes of Coach Bowden since he was named head coach. We have improved drastically in this area. 10 years ago we could not sign the CJ Spillers and the James Davis'. And we currently as of right now have more rivals top 100 players looking very hard at Clemson than we have ever had.

Secondly, No one can argue that the facilities upgrades we have gone though in the past 8 years have been enormous. Both Concourses have been renovated, the feild has had the crown taken out of it, the addition of the West Endzone and the new Scoreboard. Currently they are working on Phase two for the WEZ as well.
This is something Coach Danny Ford tried to get the University to do for many years and failed.

This program has made huge strides in the last eight years to try and catch up to other elite programs. None of this would have been possible if it were not for Tommy Bowden. People seem to forget that during the Ken Hatfield/ Tommy West era other universities advanced there programs, while ours seemed to dwindle where it was. Fact: 23 universities made major renovations or additions to their stadiums before Clemson did; including Maryland, North Carolina, NC State, Florida State. These are some of the teams that are mentioned as finishing ahead of us in the ACC standings for the past five years. Is it so hard to believe that this is because recruits saw these universities getting behind the football program and how do you compete when your university is doing nothing. We are competitive now in recruiting. We are doing the things that entice major recruits to come to Tigertown.

Coach Bowden has not been the problem. Sure a couple of close games. A few meltdowns and you are willing to throw him under the bus. Rediculous. You would be willing to set our program back another 5 years to get someone new who will put forth the same effort just to be ridiculed by the same detractors. Become part of the solution rather than part of the problem. Why would any recruit want to come to CLemson when they see that the coachs' job is in jeoperdy 24/7. I wouldn't.

Go Tigers.

Who is elite in the ACC?? The ACC is the 6th best conf now

May 31, 2007, 10:41 AM

according to Athlons. The #'s don't lie. It has nothing to do any longer of what the local bumpkins think. This is how the nation is perceiving Clemson now. They have had TB on the hot seat every year in these mags and if another sub par season is a result...

with out a doubt that is the dumbest post I have ever

May 31, 2007, 9:23 AM

read. Suppose two teams would have pulled out of the ACC instead of thrww joining, would you have accepted the Bowden lovers conclusion that with "adjusted" numbers he really won three ACC Championships? No you wouldn't. It's just a whacked post. If you don't like Bowden and want him gone just say so, as many of you Bowden haters have. But your "adjusted" numbers are far worse than any "one point away" argument.

I suppose you could complain if you wanted to...

May 31, 2007, 9:34 AM

Click here to send gripes or maybe complain to Crump for posting the article under the news

or perhaps you could site your sources the first time***

May 31, 2007, 9:36 AM

OH boo flippin who it's on the front dad gum page.***

May 31, 2007, 9:39 AM

not everyone reads the front page...and its hoo. not who

May 31, 2007, 9:41 AM

insert winky face here

maybe I was being more specific than 'hoo'

May 31, 2007, 9:45 AM

;)

and it's cite...not site

May 31, 2007, 9:45 AM [ in reply to not everyone reads the front page...and its hoo. not who ]

insert winky face here

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

write me a tigernet citation then***

May 31, 2007, 9:48 AM

For meritorious service to Tigernet, I hearby award you

May 31, 2007, 9:51 AM

a traffic citation. PLease pay at the clerks desk.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

I guess you can play the "one point away" argument is

May 31, 2007, 9:41 AM [ in reply to I suppose you could complain if you wanted to... ]

false then invent a worse one. Bowden's steatement is actually more accurate than yours. For the record I am neither a Bowden hater or fan. I want Clemson to win championships. I want us to have great facilities. I want us to have players that stay out of trouble and don't embarass the university. I want players to graduate so that when they need that degree they have it. By those standards Bowden is either already very successful or making progress.

That guy's opinion really skewers me....LOL***

May 31, 2007, 9:48 AM

For those who view "1 game away" as a positive...

May 31, 2007, 9:57 AM

the fact is, one game or five games away, Bowden must find a way to get us to the ACCCG. If we continue to miss the CG, does it really matter wether we are 1 or 3 games away? Find a way to win, period!

I'm still scratching my head losing to sub par MD

May 31, 2007, 10:15 AM

What other non football school gets to go to a BCS game? WF and MD in a BCS bowl before Clemson? The love affair some CU fans with mediocrity is a disgrace in itself. If half the "new generation" had been in Death Valley in the 80's experiencing a taste of winning conference championships, perhaps they would understand better that mediocrity should not be accepted at a football school such as Clemson.

If the Tigers don't win the coastal, buh bye Tommy. I'm sick of a decade of excuses. He would've been long gone at Nebraska, UF, OU, Tenn, VT, UGA, UM, OSU as for many other majors. And he can not afford to lose any home games this year.

Re: I'm still scratching my head losing to sub par MD

May 31, 2007, 10:55 AM

If Bowden wins the coastal I'll be REALLY impressed.

I could not agree more...

May 31, 2007, 2:02 PM [ in reply to I'm still scratching my head losing to sub par MD ]

I want Tommy to succeed, but so far, he has not taken us where we should already be. If Freidgen, Grobe, Spurrier, and numerous other good "coaches" had inherited Clemson, imagine the possibilities. These coaches have taken inferior programs and won b/c they can coach and motivate. So what Tommy did not get his facilities right away. What kind of facilities did MD possess when Fridge took over, or WF, or even SC?? Yet they won due to excellent coaching with high expectations, no excuses!

Progress in facilities and recruiting, but not in results.***

May 31, 2007, 10:06 AM

Well I disagree with that. Our results are CONSIDERABLY

May 31, 2007, 10:29 AM

better than they were when TB got here.

The problem is we are 'stalled' in the middle of the pack and can't seem to get past that level. The improvements TB has made are inarguable. The current results are what is in question.

Recommend you change your picture

May 31, 2007, 10:37 AM

have "Sterling" at the top and "Bowden" on the bottom.

Bottom Line is this...

May 31, 2007, 10:48 AM

When you cut away all the statistical manipulations, it comes down to one question. How many ACC championships has Clemson won under Tommy Bowden???? He hasn't even been to an ACC championship much less won one.

Overall, I have been a Bowden supporter b/c he has run a clean program, recruited well and represented the University well, but at a certain point I want to see results. I want to see Clemson in the ACC championship game this year or if that doesn't happen, then I want Bowden gone. Nine years is more than enough time to get a team of Clemson's caliber to the ACC championship game and if he doens't do it this year, then I am going to start pushing very hard for his dismissal. You can be the best guy in the world, but if your not getting the job done, then you need to be removed period.

Dear Mr. Elite Replacement,

May 31, 2007, 11:20 AM

We are interested in you becoming our football coach. It sure would be great if you were our coach as we love your sure fire approach to football and winning. We know you are a hard nosed football genius and would not tolerate any on-field gaffes, mental errors or losing a game for that matter.

We love you Mr. Elite Replacement. As this article clearly states, you are the answer to all of our problems. So please Mr. Elite Replacement if you could find it in your heart of hearts to come to Clemson, that'd be really swell.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
- Steve Martin

although I like seeing you rerank and moving CU down,

May 31, 2007, 11:43 AM

do not think that it is fair when trying to extrapolate to 12 team conference...there is nothing to say that with additional teams that Cu would not have won more and finished even higher. Then again, nothing to say that they could have lost more and finished lower.

If I am second best among a group of 5 in running a mile, who is to say I would not be second best among a group of 100. Nothing to say that I would be 40th either; using the same percentage for the group of 5.

This said, I agree that Bowden likely has reached his peak and is full of excuses.

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic