Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
PreSeason 18th in Football..finish unranked
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1,188

PreSeason 18th in Football..finish unranked

May 20, 2007, 8:53 AM

Preseason 2nd/3rd in Baseball..finish?????
PreSeason top 10 Golf,currently Ranked 8th..Finish???
Basketball 17-0 to start, Finish 25-12..finish unranked

Music City Bowl, NIT , No Golf NCAA Championship Tournament, No Regional Host Baseball...

Sorry, but this was not a good year in Clemson Sports!
I'm looking forward to Football season! :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do beg to differ, While that football finish

May 20, 2007, 9:02 AM

was very disappointing we had some great moments. The 2 road wins at FSU and WF were scintillating and who can forget the first Gameday at Clemson for the GT game.

The hoops team made a great run to the NIT finals and but for 3 games decided by officials may have made a similar run in the NCAAs.

Our baseball team has battled hard all season and just last weekend defeated FSU--the nations #2 team 2 of 3 on their own field...something we have not done since Bill Wilhelm was the coach.

I hate whiny glass empty post. We have a fabulous sports program at Clemson, a great school and the best gameday atmospheres in America. Enjoy it...Embrace it...You will find yourself smiling a lot more.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: I do beg to differ, While that football finish

May 20, 2007, 9:09 AM

I love the atmosphere at Clemson, its special..but facts are that one or two games during a season, doesn't make a season. Atmosphere does not win football games, the truth is we started out with higher expectations than we ended with, in most our programs. All this crap about injuries to players is why we did'nt do good.(Excuse) Thats sports, you must overcome the obstacles set in front of you. I'm a realist and I like to see results!

Bowden

May 20, 2007, 9:58 AM

I am not anti-Bowden by any means but I am on the fence now after thinking about it for a while.

On the positive side, Bowden as helped improve the image of the program by recruiting good kids and working hard to keep after them in the classroom. Players graduate and keep out of trouble for the most part, all while upgrading the talent on the team. And doing this working against the AARC, etc. this is clearly no easy feat.

Questionable decision making and inconsistency are the major negatives. The decision to openly blame your kicker on the blocked kicks last year might have been the biggest beef I have ever had with him. Clearly, Lambert "opened the gate" way too early time and time again and I don't think any reasonable person would disagree after watching the replays. So Bowden gets inside of the head of the ONE person you don't want to and normally steady Dean has a senior year to forget. That and taking Merriweather out of the USC game cost us the win and almost cost us the FSU game. Still, I don?t like to blame games on one or two decisions but they are just glaring examples.

Take out GT game and last season was mediocre at best. With the amount of time he's had and the money we pay, I believe this is kind of inconsistency is unacceptable.

Having said all of that, even with the QB and OL situation, I still believe that this year's team might be the most talented team we have had in over 15 years. I think that Bowden might have enough in the tank to pull it out but it won?t be because we out-coached anyone on the field or made the game winning adjustment at halftime. Winning next year will get us out of this jam and no one is pulling for Bowden more than me. I don?t think changing coaches every 5 years is good for the health of any program.

In the end, Bowden is starting to remind me more and more of Mack Brown minus some of the wins.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I Agree, good post

May 20, 2007, 10:30 AM

but I was just basically stating the obvious, Clemson sports has started out with some high expectations, high rankings and has not live up to them. Its amazing looking at some of these replies!

I agree with you too and thanks...Tigernet is not the place

May 20, 2007, 11:18 AM

to say anything other than positives for the most part. Healthy discussion doesn't seem to be well respected.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How are injuries an excuse?

May 20, 2007, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: I do beg to differ, While that football finish ]

I don't follow your logic...

If we had Waters and Billie in the secondary our pass coverage would of been drastically better. Imagine the Maryland, USC, and Bowl game with those two; I'm not saying we still would of won, but the outcome sure would be different.

We all know how JD went down hill the second half of the season due to being hurt. Imagine having both backs at 100% down the stretch. Maybe JD would of powered through on that final drive in the Carolina game.

When Taylor went down we lost a vital key to the passing game. Kelly was our big man, but is not as physical as Rendrick.

Finally, when Bennett went down in the GT game, JD lost his go to lineman. If you saw any interview with JD on who he follows when powering a run in, it was Bennett. Those two worked together a large amount, and their cordination together was missed after the GT game.

Bottom line is injuries DID have a huge impact on this season, and to expect a backup to fill in and perform as well as the starter is a lofty expectation at best.

I believe it was Wake that lost their starting QB and RB

May 20, 2007, 10:31 AM

but still won the ACC.

And how many times is a replacement going to be better than

May 20, 2007, 10:40 AM

a starter? Your only example of this (Wake) is weak at best.

Re: And how many times is a replacement going to be better than

May 20, 2007, 10:41 AM

Weak or not. They are the ACC Champions and well we haven't won it in 18 years!!! Dissapointing!

Nice sample size.

May 20, 2007, 10:48 AM

You sound like a cockfan. You gotta have some #### in your blood somewhere.

So injuries dont matter?????????

May 20, 2007, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Re: I do beg to differ, While that football finish ]

Darn it man. It is not an excuse. Its a reality. We lost 2 of our 3 best defensive players for the entire season and that doesn't matter?

WE lost our best 2 wide receivers for extended periods and that doesn't matter???

Our best remaining linebacker tragically loses his sister in a car wreck and goes into late season depression loses weight and is unable to play at his previous high level and that doesn't matter??

We lose arguably our best offensive lineman for the last 5 games of the season and that doesn't matter???

You have expectations that will never be met unless you pull for the Globetrotters. They are the only team I know that wins em all

Orange Googlers Unite

One word: Wake!***

May 20, 2007, 10:32 AM

What about them? #1, we beat them, #2, the guys that stepped

May 20, 2007, 10:37 AM

in for them were as good or better than the guys they replaced. Skinner was a tremendous QB. If we would have had him under center, we would have won several more games.

Re: What about them? #1, we beat them, #2, the guys that stepped

May 20, 2007, 10:39 AM

Get a grip man, Wake now is The ACC Champion. Clemson is still trying to build a winning program..How old are you guys..nobody seems to remember the great Clemson teams, you all are just trying to use an excuse anyway you can. Fukin lost cause!

LOL. Did we or did we not beat Wake Forest?

May 20, 2007, 10:47 AM

Wake Forest has done a good job, but they have a losing record under Jim Grobe. Clemson has been a FAR superior program.

The answer is Yes

May 20, 2007, 3:45 PM

We beat Wake Forest.

Orange Googlers Unite

You must have a miserable life.***

May 20, 2007, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Re: I do beg to differ, While that football finish ]

Re: You must have a miserable life.***

May 20, 2007, 10:34 AM

No actually, married for 20 years with a beautiful daughter ,12 yr. old JUNIOR OLYMPIC Swimmer. Life is Good!

So Clemson sports are all that you b!tch about?

May 20, 2007, 10:36 AM

I find that HIGHLY unlikely.

Re: So Clemson sports are all that you b!tch about?

May 20, 2007, 10:38 AM

Hahaha...actually YES! About to go surfin , man!

Unbelievable. You state the absolute truth about Clemson

May 20, 2007, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: You must have a miserable life.*** ]

sports this year and someone who doesn't know you says you have a miserable life. Too many people on here with totally orange colored glasses who can't see beyond the lenses.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I do beg to differ, While that football finish

May 20, 2007, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: I do beg to differ, While that football finish ]

you just said 2 games don't make a season but I guess based on your post that 2 losses DID make the season bad.

you can't have it both ways.

I agree...

May 20, 2007, 10:08 AM [ in reply to I do beg to differ, While that football finish ]

Football showed what it is capable of despite the finish. Injuries played a big part. Recruiting is still going well in football. While there are concerns about the future, we've just got to put a complete season together.

Basketball is still building and probably met most expectations. Most of the losses were really close, we just lacked a few pieces which appear to be addressed through recruiting. Nothing to worry about in basketball.

Baseball lost Sean Clark before the season started and with the loss of Widmann and Chalk to injuries was not the same team that had the preseason hype. We started 5 freshman yesterday and won. Nothing to worry about in baseball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Road win at WF and beating a .500 FSU team was awesome!!***

May 20, 2007, 11:22 AM [ in reply to I do beg to differ, While that football finish ]

Why??***

May 20, 2007, 10:11 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not that Mr. Negative is interested...

May 20, 2007, 11:04 AM

but regional hosts have not been announced and there is a chance that Clemson could still be awarded a host site. Coastal Carolina has split its first two games with Winthrop (game three is today) and if Winthrop wins this one, and Clemson does well in Jacksonville (even if Clemson just does well in Jacksonville), then the Tigers could still be playing at home in early June. Hosting chances are not gone.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1,188
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic