Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The School in Columbia Should Change It's Name
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

The School in Columbia Should Change It's Name

Feb 5, 2007, 1:09 AM

What comes to mind when you hear USC?

The Trojans of course, the one's from Southern California. Everyone outside a 100 mile radius of Columbia associates USC with the school from California. While not a big fan of Southern Cal, they have established themselves as the USC and have the history and tradition that give the moniker meaning and respect.

Now the University of South Carolina uses the initials USC and even claims to be the "real" USC. Thus the question arises, why does one have to explain that they are refering to the University of South Carolina and not Southern Cal when they are speaking of USC outside the state of South Carolina? Dare I say that the "real" USC wear cardinal and gold?

Well, let me suggest that maybe Gamecock U has an identity crisis which stems from not only having to explain that you are the "real" USC, but also from a lack of sustained historic productivity on a national scale. STOP...I'm aware that Spurrier has changed all that. All the more reason to get a fresh start.

This is one of two reasons that I am urging that the University of South Carolina change it's name. The second argument for the change is a bit more selfish on my part but nonetheless valid.

I find it troubling that the school in Columbia has our wonderful state's name in it's title. As a South Carolinian, I'd hate to think that people from the rest of the country would associate me with a program that illicits such thoughts of mediocrity. I, for one, do not share the same measurement of success that I hear rumbling out of the capital.

It is my proposal that those in charge of the school in Columbia might consider how they make the state of South Carolina look to the entire nation when they use her name in regards to their educational institution, athletic programs, and those who are supportive of it. While it might be representative of a few from some of the more sparse areas of South Carolina, it is a misrepresentation of a great state and it's citizens as a whole.

Do not let me conclude without being part of the solution. I find it frustrating when people are quick to point out a problem, then give no input as to how a resolution might be reached. Therefore, I have formulated a few ideas.

First: Richland Junior College. It's great! It gives the school's location as well as it's respective status in the State.

Second: Columbia Community College. Just imagine the CCC #####! (No I'm not stuttering) This is actually my favorite, but probably least practical. I do not intend to be negative, but this could be a real tongue twister for the students and alumni alike. Oh come on, Gamecocks. Say it 3 times real fast. See you can't do it.

And finally: Spurrier University of Columbia. This one is perfect for the "new era" in Columbia. What an appropriate name and tribute to the man who, in two years, has already single-handedly changed the direction of the school and created a reputation as one of the best 8-5 football teams in the nation. Not to mention they'll have sole ownership of the initials SUC.

It's something to consider.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The School in Columbia Should Change It's Name

Feb 5, 2007, 1:22 AM

as clemson80tiger would say

they are called "that school in Columbia. Not Allen, the other one"

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Loved it!***

Feb 5, 2007, 2:50 AM

Corso said it best when Gameday was in Columbia

Feb 5, 2007, 3:19 AM

"The REAL USC, Southern California..."

You know why this post makes me laugh?

Feb 5, 2007, 8:20 AM

Because you guys can't really talk trash about the on the field play. So now you're just holding onto weak name insults, which no one cares.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Yes, your one game winning streak...

Feb 5, 2007, 9:44 AM

has put an end to all our bragging rights. You have made my point, my friend. Apparently you care or else you wouldn't have posted. Thanks for your input. Now I'm laughing.

Message was edited by: franc1968®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wake up and smell the chicken scratch

Feb 5, 2007, 11:29 AM [ in reply to You know why this post makes me laugh? ]

We (meaning the entire country) have been making fun of USC's name for years, including during those two four-year Tiger win streaks over the last 10 years. Why? Because it's funny. Carolina...oops, I mean *South* Carolina fans...can claim all they want that they're the "real" USC or the "real" Carolina, but once they step over the SC borders they're the "other" USC and the "other" Carolina that nobody gives two craps about except that you have a media darling head coach.

Your post makes *me* laugh because you're trying to talk trash with a one-year blip on a 10-year radar. But go ahead, talk trash all you want. You've got a 365-day free pass, backdated to November. Enjoy it, I know it doesn't occur very often.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic