Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fighting at practice/The Great Bear Crawl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 101

Fighting at practice/The Great Bear Crawl

Aug 10, 2023, 8:29 PM

I guess everyone has seen my tweet (or X?) by now about fighting during the W drill at practice today. I've heard that practices have been very competitive and everybody has been going at it. That's all good to hear because I think the best teams have that fighting spirit to them. And that made me think about the 2018 team, which we know won a title. I have heard the story before, but called a former player tonight to make sure I have the facts straight.

Practices were chippy that year, and the DL and OL had been going at it for a few weeks. Remember, that OL had guys like Matt Bockhorst and Gage Cervenka and Sean Pollard and John Simpson. The DL had Dexter Lawrence and Christian Wilkins and Clelin Ferrell, and we all know they loved to get chippy.

Well, one day it all boiled over. Something happened fairly early in practice and Big Dex and Bockhorst, egged on by Wilkins, went at it. Epic fight. But they got them separated, and Dabo told them that if they had so much energy they had to fight, he would work it out of them.

So he made the entire team do bear crawls. Bear crawls, for 100 yards, are brutal. You are on your fingertips and your toes, and you go the length of the field that way. Did they do it once or twice? Nope. One OL told they did it for eight or nine periods, and players had trouble walking the next day. But they stopped fighting and started hating Dabo and that turned into a championship club. A lot of people have told me that was the day that team really became a TEAM and was the turning point of the season.

Anyway, I remembered that today, and thought I would share it. I will share it again in the morning.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fighting at practice/The Great Bear Crawl

Aug 10, 2023, 8:30 PM

Thanks David!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 10, 2023, 8:35 PM

cool story...

when we getting out of the acc?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 10, 2023, 8:40 PM

cool story...

when we getting out of the acc?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you regret this username ever?

Aug 10, 2023, 10:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Fighting at practice/The Great Bear Crawl ]

What with the evolution of windbreakers and all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 10, 2023, 8:37 PM

OK…..soooooooooo……I’m in favor of the team doing 20 X 100yds Bear Crawls, every day for the next week. That’s how much I like winning.

All in favor?

Aug 10, 2023, 10:08 PM

According to Coach Frank Howard, players fighting at practice was a good sign. I remember when he was coaching, and the team had a big game that Saturday. A reporter asked Coach Howard if he thought his players would be ready. He answered that he knew they were ready because they already had two player fights in practice that week. He went on to say that players were ready to play when they were fighting each other at practice.

Aug 10, 2023, 9:52 PM

Great story David. Hope we see a little of that this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2023 Clemson Football

Aug 10, 2023, 10:03 PM

Program Changers

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2023 Clemson Football

Aug 11, 2023, 2:33 PM

I don't know if we need it to change, but we do need it to get back to what it was a couple years ago!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 10, 2023, 10:05 PM

Great story!!!
Go Tigers!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

That's a shithot story.

Aug 10, 2023, 10:08 PM

Thank you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's a shithot story.

Aug 11, 2023, 2:41 PM

I would very much appreciate if you only used that joined word to describe only one person place or thing, that one thing is for Shitface Swofford!!! ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BRING ON THE BEAR CRAWL, COACH!!!!!!***

Aug 11, 2023, 12:39 AM

Re: BRING ON THE BEAR CRAWL, COACH!!!!!!***

Aug 11, 2023, 5:55 AM

I hope your right Mr. Hood. Thanks for the information.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Aug 11, 2023, 7:25 AM

Great story but hard to grasp the concept that that team hated Dabo???

Dabo always had a theme “word” for the team each year. I was thinking that team’s word was “love”. Maybe that was the day he came up with it??

Lol, that sounds like a direct throwback to Bear Bryant days

Aug 11, 2023, 7:42 AM

at Bama. Being as Dabo learned under a Bear disciple, Gene Stallings, the lineage is clear.

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lol, that sounds like a direct throwback to Bear Bryant days

Aug 11, 2023, 10:03 AM

Any team that can do that nine times has no chance of ever losing!

Re: Lol, that sounds like a direct throwback to Bear Bryant days

Aug 11, 2023, 2:44 PM

Playing either!!!;)

Aug 11, 2023, 11:32 AM

I do NOT miss bear crawls.

Shirley CW would have never egged anyone on. ;)***

Aug 11, 2023, 11:34 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shirley CW would have never egged anyone on. ;)***

Aug 11, 2023, 1:42 PM

Yep, that didn't need to be vetted!!
[+] Maybe nowadays, if players get in a fight, Dabo threatens to send them into a dogpile with CW42.

Message was edited by: WarDaddy17®

Aug 11, 2023, 2:29 PM

Any time you have two or more men, women, boys or girls competing against each other, there is a high risk of a fight breaking out, it's human nature IMO!!!

Separating Big Dex and Bockhorst...

Aug 11, 2023, 2:50 PM

that's one third of a ton of people.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wilkins was involved? Somebody got their oil level checked!

Aug 11, 2023, 2:55 PM

Re: Wilkins was involved? Somebody got their oil level checked!

Aug 11, 2023, 10:24 PM

You know he was a clown and laughing the whole time knowing he messed with that guys head & all…lol

Christian Wilkins still plays with joy in the NFL talking mess and having fun the whole time!

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Replies: 25
| visibility 101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic