Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board...

Oct 16, 2022, 12:13 AM

And can only assume there's a lot of newer users in comparison to some of us around for 15+ years.

The younger fans are spoiled. Sometimes worse than others.

This team is UNDEFEATED. I just can't forget Clemson being underdog, winning 8 wins a year for half decent bowls. Many years in a row. THIS team had become a dynasty over a decade

Be happy. Be proud. This team is playing above expectations right now. Onwards and upwards

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board...

Oct 16, 2022, 12:14 AM

Exactly!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2022, 12:16 AM

Agreed. We’ve always had one of the best fan bases in the country. Now it seems to deteriorate every season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2022, 12:17 AM

I graduated in '81, am a MENSA member and have followed Clemson football since the 70s. What's my demographic in your eyes? It was a win on the road, I'm happy for that. But the way it ended did us no favors. If you think otherwise . . wow.

So MENSA means nothing apparently.***

Oct 16, 2022, 12:18 AM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never has.***

Oct 16, 2022, 3:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Oct 16, 2022, 12:20 AM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board... ]

You left out the part of being a bad fan on your bio.

Oct 16, 2022, 12:21 AM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board... ]

Hey MENSA you misspelled CLEMSON in your profile.

Oct 16, 2022, 12:24 AM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board... ]

It ended with us having more points than Florida St. If you don't understand that is the goal, then MENSA doesn't have the standards that I thought it did.

Oct 16, 2022, 12:27 AM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board... ]

I’ve been a biglaw corporate lawyer for 37 years. I have dealt with many many people who are intelligent and stupid.

Oct 16, 2022, 2:20 AM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board... ]

Why the hell did you feel the need to say you joined MENSA? First of all, it's not that hard. All you needed in your day was to get a 1250 SAT. Guess what, Clemson's median SAT for incoming freshmen is higher. Second, way to pay to join an organization with 0 benefit other than to tell people you're a member. There's no benefit to the group. What do you get? The right to pay to subscribe to a terrible magazine? The right to get a terrible credit card? It's a racket.

I have never met a legitimately smart person to be stupid enough to join Mensa. Even if I agreed with your base point, this is so pathetic it's not worth doing so.

Oct 16, 2022, 2:23 AM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board... ]

Judge, is that you?

Oct 16, 2022, 7:47 AM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board... ]

I graduated in '81, am a MENSA member and have followed Clemson football since the 70s. What's my demographic in your eyes? It was a win on the road, I'm happy for that. But the way it ended did us no favors. If you think otherwise . . wow.

I was gonna say your demographic is moron but that would be unkind so I won’t. No one likes the prevent style of play but some don’t whine constantly about it nor let it detract from a win or being 7-0. Our best football is still ahead for this team so what do you gain by sulking cause the margin of victory did not meet your needs?

Oct 16, 2022, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board... ]

I drive a dodge stratus!

Oct 16, 2022, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board... ]

How much does it cost to be a Mensa member?

Oct 16, 2022, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board... ]

I graduated in 75 and I saved the MENSA rip off annual fee. I just go once a year and stay in a Holiday Inn Express

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2022, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board... ]

Why would you mention Mensa. Who cares.

Oct 16, 2022, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board... ]

Since you identify yourself as a "MENSA" member, that is a big red flag right there. Who does that? Is that on your business card so everyone knows how smart you are?

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2022, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: I sometimes wonder the demographic of this board... ]

You can tell someone’s age by whether or not they think MENSA actually matters.

Some are spoiled younger kids.

But there are plenty of Debbie downer older fans just waiting for the shoe to drop. I don’t know if they will get a lot of pride from saying they told us so when they are eventually right but I do know they haven’t enjoyed our run nearly as much as they could have.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been here since like 2004. The second half was not ok. Hoping the team and coaches learn from it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2022, 12:19 AM

Not only are we undefeated, but we have beaten a very good Wake Forest team on the road, a good NC State team, and a good Florida St team on the road. The offense is looking pretty good, and the defense is finally getting healthy. I like where we are.

Oct 16, 2022, 12:31 AM

I feel like some of the older fans are even getting that way! My mother was complaining and she's be a fan since at least the 70's.

It's not about "demographics"...

Oct 16, 2022, 12:35 AM

It's about mindset. Many people here just cannot abide anything said that isn't in praise and positive about the team, the coaches, and the performance on the field. Most of them like to point to the days when Clemson was mediocre and a perennial 8-4 team that never sniffed an ACC championship, much less national aspirations. These same people love to smugly and self-righteously criticize fellow Clemson fan board posters for issuing their opinions and concerns.

Others here, many of which also remember the ups and downs of the past, are interested in actually DISCUSSING the games and are not shy about expressing concerns when it appears that the "Best is the Standard" philosophy seems to be waning in one aspect or another.

If this had been a CFP game against the dawgs or the bucknuts tonight and we had survived to win in that same manner, absolutely NO ONE would be concerned because those teams are top-level competition; we expect them to put up that kind of fight. As the #4 ranked team, we should expect to be able to compete with anyone, including those teams. FSU AIN'T THAT NOW. And if we aren't able to put them away, and we are allowing them to come back like that in the fourth quarter because the defense effing QUIT, then we aren't ready to play the UGAs and OSUs of the world. Those teams would ROLL US. All of us know that, and none of us want that. And some of us aren't concerned with those who don't really want to discuss football here... they just want to show everyone what a great fan they are.

By the way, Dabo spoke AT LENGTH in his post-game comments on TV and his locker room interview about how displeased he was with the defense's collapse in the fourth quarter. So maybe some of y'all uber Tiger fans need to go call him a "whiner" and chastise him.

FT
CU '90
Tiger Net User #13, Registered 1995

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said...

Oct 16, 2022, 1:43 AM

expect derogatory insults to follow but no evidence contradicting any of your statements--

Re: It's not about "demographics"...

Oct 16, 2022, 8:27 AM [ in reply to It's not about "demographics"... ]

T-net never wants to hear the truth. Most think Dabo is perfect and CBB is terrible and are unwilling on listen to the truth in the middle on either.

One point in response. Reading the board this AM if I had not watched the game I would think we lost the game. We became compliance letting FSU creep back in the game. But when the only thing fans can talk about is the margin of victory was too small then it becomes whining and not a good look,

Oct 16, 2022, 9:21 AM

Jstone, you hit the nail in the head. Most of us pumpers are not bothered by objective discussion of the games, team, and coaches. It is the “nothing is ever good enough” crowd that gets under my skin. I do believe in the power of being “pawsitive” even in the face of adversity but I posted yesterday after watching Bama/ TN that we have some work to do before we are ready to face one of those teams. That’s not being negative, especially since Dabo’s teams have a history of getting better as the season goes along. What I didn’t say is either of those teams would kill us or boat race us or our coordinators stink or some of the other negative stuff we are seeing on here this morning.
And for the demographic question, I’m a 1984 CU grad, definitely not a member of MENSA or any other hey look at me group and my daughter is a 2017 grad and former Tiger Cub mascot. Yea - it runs in our veins.

Oct 16, 2022, 9:44 AM [ in reply to It's not about "demographics"... ]

Sure but it's Dabo's job to worry about that. For the fan, this is supposed to be a fun hobby , not something that makes you miserable.

GO TIGERS

Oct 16, 2022, 10:03 AM [ in reply to It's not about "demographics"... ]

Well said and I have a TU for you but I disagree partially. I think what people refer to as whiners aren't the ones that want to discuss the in's and out's, x's and o's of the game and point out where we need improvement. It's the ones who are never happy, trash players half of the time and the sky is falling if we don't win every game by 30. I made a post last night saying that the offense went vanilla late in the game and that while I'm sure all involved were a little disappointed that the defense didn't hold the lead, the game never felt in jeopardy until the last kick. I was chastised for that and got multiple TDs. I love a good discussion on improvements needed but it seems to be the posters that only post one liners like "that's why we won't be in the playoffs" and then TD anyone that is happy with a W that people call whiners.

Oct 16, 2022, 2:05 AM

TS_Tiger said:

And can only assume there's a lot of newer users in comparison to some of us around for 15+ years.

The younger fans are spoiled. Sometimes worse than others.

This team is UNDEFEATED. I just can't forget Clemson being underdog, winning 8 wins a year for half decent bowls. Many years in a row. THIS team had become a dynasty over a decade

Be happy. Be proud. This team is playing above expectations right now. Onwards and upwards

Dang Straight!

In what way exactly are we playing above expectations?***

Oct 16, 2022, 3:39 AM

I’m pretty sure many here set some pretty low expectations

Oct 16, 2022, 9:29 AM

for DJU after the Spring Game.

They saw what they wanted to see and pointed out that he had not improved at all from the previous season.

This mind set continued through the early games of this season, but now DJU is being mentioned among the best QBs in the nation.

So ... are we playing above expectations?

Well, yeah. I think we are.

That's the exact same thing people whine about when

Oct 16, 2022, 12:28 PM

basketball gets picked 14th and finishes 11th

Offenses exceeding expectations

Oct 16, 2022, 12:29 PM [ in reply to I’m pretty sure many here set some pretty low expectations ]

Defense is not meeting expectations IMO

We beat the spread

Oct 16, 2022, 9:44 AM [ in reply to In what way exactly are we playing above expectations?*** ]

By definition we exceeded expectations.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2022, 7:42 AM

When talking football, Clemson fans are some of the most knowledgeable high football IQ in the college world. Older fans talking about 8 win seasons but still being better fans back in whatever day are basically using a metric that makes the USUCK fan base better than ours. They show up knowing they’re gonna lose but still they somehow convince themselves they won’t. Rah Rah’ing a bad team doesn’t make you a good fan, it makes you an idiot.
We have seen the peak of this college football hill and we know what it takes to get there. You can bet your bottom dollar when the team shows gaps and weakness someone is going to point it out. It doesn’t make them less of a fan, it means they have wisdom!
There is a difference in pointing out problems and just bashing Clemson, but I see less of the latter and more of the former here on Tnet!

Message was edited by: InletTiger15®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2022, 7:51 AM

I think we are frustrated bc we see the potential if the players and coaches can put together a whole game . Hopefully that complete game is coming.

Always good to come out of tally with a win. Painful to

Oct 16, 2022, 8:11 AM

watch at times. Run defense bad early, pass defense late. The offense just died after the beginning of the third quarter. Certainly not good for my heart but great win!

Hard to understand being negative

Oct 16, 2022, 8:19 AM

FSU has really good athletes. These guys are 18-22 years old and can lose focus with a big lead. We got the win in a tough place to play at night. Enjoy. Or at least be satisfied.

It's like some have never competed at anything. Geez

YEP.

Oct 16, 2022, 8:28 AM

What a game. Still smiling. Beat the noles at home when they got that thing kicked into gear..

63-17

Oct 16, 2022, 9:31 AM

You are right!! The late 90’s into the mid 2000’s were difficult. Winning breeds impatience and expectations, and I’m guilty of being overtaken by it times. Go Tigers!!!

Oct 16, 2022, 11:21 AM

DK. I’m 75 grad and early 70s we’re horrible
We usually beat Citadel or Furman. Lost close to an SEC or BIG 8 by playing over our heads
Beat another random ACC school and Virginia and couldn’t even beat coots. These are the best time ever. Even better than Danny years I hope people can appreciate what they have now. Frank Howard had the vision but not the money. He once commented that if he had the resources he could make Clemson the Notre Dame of the South. Now Dabo has both and I for one am just going to enjoy it

Oct 17, 2022, 11:35 AM

I am a 1966 grad and an ex-football equipment manager under Frank Howard. Our facilities were terrible. Football players in ACC had higher admission standards than the general student body.( all sports).We were the SEC's homecoming games which we played for the $$. Bear Bryant would bring in 120+ freshmen a year including players he knew would never see the field for him just to keep others from getting them.
How times have changed.Yes we have gotten spoiled. We have fans who think we should be able to score like an x-box game.I don't care if they complain about a play, or play calling, even if they gripe about our coaches because with what they are making they should be able to take it. But it's easy to coach in the stands or from your recliner.What galls me is bashing some kid who is out there busting his (or her) butt because they don't play up to their expectations or they aren't who they think should be playing.None of us sees what goes on in practice so we aren't qualified to make a starting line-up. I will never bash a player who wears the paw.

Yes, this is all true. I remember well the extreme disadvantages

Oct 17, 2022, 3:42 PM

that ACC teams faced back then. We had higher SAT score requirements... that's why Frank Howard called the SEC "that knucklehead league" ...because they were getting kids in school we couldn't. Then he'd watch them line up for a SEC school, play us, and kick our butts. Also true that before scholarship limits many SEC schools would bring in huge classes, they could give out as many scholarships as they wanted. I may be off a bit, but as I recall in the 80's they finally started with a total scholly limit of 105, then 95, and finally 85. But before that... there were no limits.

I also remember the Bear Bryant quote: "I'd rather have him sitting on my bench than on the field playing against me". Or something similar. So he'd sign kids that he knew would probably never see the field at Bama, because they were already 4-deep with better players. Just to keep him from going somewhere else. I used to have a photo saved, probably can't find it right now, but it showed the Bama sideline from a game in the 70s... there were so many players dressed out they were packed like sardines from one endzone to the other. LOL

I think the All American QB from Summerville (Perry Cuda) fell into that trap. Could've started anywhere else in the country, but Bama. But that's where he signed. And I think he mostly rode the pine there...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Oct 16, 2022, 9:39 AM

Nah this site bitched and moaned about every single win fifteen years ago too.

GO TIGERS

Oct 16, 2022, 10:12 AM

I don’t.

Did you just assume my demographic??

Oct 16, 2022, 11:41 AM

*scoffs

I actually identify as an 82 year old woman, thank you very much!

Ohh we have our fair share of cantankerous old

Oct 16, 2022, 12:16 PM

Farts here.

They’re a joy

Oct 16, 2022, 12:30 PM

I would guess largely white, Christian, conservative, and 40-60 years old

Yep***

Oct 17, 2022, 12:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2022, 2:53 PM

I road through those times for many years, and I guess that's why I hate so much just thinking that we could go back to those times again, and I felt for felloe fans and coaches along with what I felt during some really miserable seasons. So I understand some fans being spoiled bc they don't know of the good and bad times of Clemson FB!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic