Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just listened to the Spurrier interview on the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Just listened to the Spurrier interview on the

May 6, 2006, 2:01 PM

Paul Finebaum show.

http://www.finebaum.com/audio_current.html

It's about 30 minutes long.

Here are my observations:

As reported a while back Spurrier now says the Gamecocks don't have adequate facilities to recruit well enough to compete for a SEC title. Just last year he said everything was in place to win. Remember the "Why Not Us" slogan he borrowed from the Red Sox. If the facilites are not good enough now, then they were not good enough last year also. He was only out of college football for what, 3 years, and he acts like everybody made epic strides in his brief absence - and it took him a year to figure it out.

It's funny how the Gamecocks blasted Tommy Bowden when he said the same thing a few years ago. When TB said it, he was making excuses. Now when SOS says the same thing it becomes the gospel.

He also comes across to me as being a bit lazy when it comes to recruiting. He wants to change the rule to where only assistant coaches could visit high school juniors. He said the only reason he is actively recruiting juniors is because all the other head coaches are doing it, and he has to do it just to keep up. He also said he was only going to visit the ones that were real close - like "in-state" guys. I think it upset him that it cuts into his free time. He's been playing a lot of golf lately and all this recruiting stuff is hurting his handicap.

He also wishes they would change the rule about text messaging recruits. Spurrier thinks it's the same as a phone call. I guess it's just too hard to type on that little cell phone keyboard and drive the golf cart at the time.

Last but not least he took a jab at the pathetic SC Football history - or lack thereof. Spurrier said he was not "re-building" because it had never been built. It's almost like he was rubbing it in when he said they had never won the SEC or even the Eastern division, never finished in the Top 10, never been to a MAJOR bowl game (I guess ol' Steve does not consider back to back Outback Bowls MAJOR like all the coots do). When Clemson fans point out these same things we are blacklisted from their message boards, called "rednecks", told to go hump our sister, a goat, or other farm animal.

I also loved it when he talked about losing out on a recruit and implies that other schools are "giving away" more than he or his school is. An Alabama fan calls in and confronts him with it - he quickly spins it and says he was referring to the "comforts" of the facilities and did not mean to imply "cheating".

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurrier was always lazy when it came to recruiting at

May 6, 2006, 2:09 PM

Florida.....so his comments dont surprise me.

At least Louser worked hard ar recruiting, he cheated, but

May 6, 2006, 4:44 PM

he worked hard. Spurrier could get by with his lack of work ethic in talent rich Florida. It will destoy him in Cootlumbia.

Re: Just listened to the Spurrier interview on the

May 6, 2006, 2:19 PM

That's the ole' ball sack for ya'.... wrinkled, and slack.

I agree on the text-messages...

May 6, 2006, 2:21 PM

It is out of control. Some schools send like 80+ in a day. I'm sure it is easy to automate the whole process and just hit everyone like spam emails.

That fact that he is lazy when it comes to recruiting, and putting in "work" as a coach, is well documented. Lucky for him there is top talent in Cola who are lifetime fans and they are willing to recruit for him this year. That said, this job is going to end up being too "hard" for ole' stevie. The SEC is no cakewalk, nor is his instate rival which is stockpiling talent and depth at every position. He's going to have to fight tooth and nail to compete and I don't see that lasting very long.

Yeah, 80+ a day to a single recruit in some cases

May 6, 2006, 2:43 PM

It's getting out of control. The NCAA will adress this issue pretty soon I'm guessing.

Schools are giving wake up messages and tons of messages a day. It almost works like a phone call when coaches can't initiate a phone call but they text and say call me. So they get the same result.

Doesn't SOS know the Outback is a NYD BOWL?????!!!????!!!???

May 6, 2006, 4:08 PM

I think FGF just had a heart attack.

Spurrier was right in many things that he said but I would

May 6, 2006, 11:37 PM

be shocked if most of those ideas/improvements are put into USC for another 4-5 years

Will he be around still?

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic