Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruiting observation: There is no way for someone like me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Recruiting observation: There is no way for someone like me

Jul 9, 2016, 12:16 AM

to know something like this, but even though we don't always get the absolute highest rated player at every position, my gut tells me we are getting who we want. I know we are just never in it with some guys, but I don't think we are "losing" on many either. I'm sure our coaches are evaluating without regard to star ratings, and are relying on their own judgement and considering which players are the best fit for our program, and I think we are landing an extrordinarily high percentage of those. Just my impression.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Recruiting observation: There is no way for someone like me

Jul 9, 2016, 12:23 AM

Seems to me like you are correct. Most the young men we recruit and get seem to have their heads on straight and get the big picture and ofcourse they seem to appreciate family and being a team. It is great what Dabo is doing and now we are getting the best of the good guys. We know who fits our system and our teams and coaches personalities. From what I have seem most of our guys are very similar in demeanor and have great work ethic. Gotta love that not only are we getting talent but great character as well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2016, 10:11 AM

I think you are right. I also think we make very few mistakes now in our recruiting. It is showing in our performance, on and off the field, too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you know what....

Jul 9, 2016, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Recruiting observation: There is no way for someone like me ]

to follow up on your post; I don't think I have ever, ever seen a Time in Clemson
football history. Where we have this high of a percentage of actually getting our
entire recruiting class into school.
I think that shows the great job the staff is doing at going after high quality
people, not just players.

So sure, agree.

Jul 9, 2016, 12:27 AM

Dabo said that we got out top 3 receivers that we wanted, even though they weren't the top 3 receivers (ranking wise) in our recruiting region. Also there is more to our recruits than pure talent that we look for.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jul 9, 2016, 12:28 AM

it is those 5* guys that go to places where they are king and do not work hard and do not get drafted. We go after those top 4* they have a chip on their shoulders and are willing to be coach and work hard. They end up the 7* nfl guy that is drafted in the 1st round. Getting a 5* like Watson and Wilkins are very hard to find. Not many of them. When they see something great they jump on it and do not play the $recruiting$ game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2016, 12:30 AM

Meh....I mean lets make no mistake...those 5 stars were really good to us and lived up to the ranking

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jul 9, 2016, 12:56 AM

We miss every year, every team does!

But we miss wayyyyyyy less than we used to!

ALLIN

Jul 9, 2016, 1:28 AM

^^^ We miss less and we are swinging at much better pitches now too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2016, 1:08 AM

The "SEC should be worried about Clemson" article said something to the effect that we are landing almost every prospect at the top of our board as far as identifying guys that fit well in the program, on and off he field.

I never remember expectations being this high.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2016, 10:15 AM

We have become a very elite program. We are one of the "big boys" now, and it is killing our competition that we are among the very best. Don't you just love it?

Jul 9, 2016, 10:34 AM

Nobody has mentioned two elements which I feel have made a huge difference. Dabo kept Jeff Scott's mentor, Brad in a HS contact position. Both the Scotts are superb recruiters who know how to evaluate talent and character.

Second Coach Venables brought a totally new perspective to defensive recruiting as he made a clear demand for auperior talent and character on his side of the program. He also has an eye for talent and is not afraid to go after whoever he wants for the program. He has quickly made a good defense into a great one year end and year out. We just reload instead of rebuilding as such.

Go Tigers!

Jul 9, 2016, 1:43 AM

Clemson coaches make up their own board. It isn't the 247 recruiting board, the Rivals board, the ESPN board.

They evaluate guys their own way. I've heard from several places it's a 25-point system...a guy who is ranked 25/25 is their "10", or their Ultimate 5-Star.

Dabo - and I do think it's Dabo - seems to lie awake at night figuring out things. He lowbrows it, a lot, but he's a concept-mover, a paradigm guy. He trusts his own evaluations, he does not necessarily follow the herd, and he will seemingly follow his own convictions to the stubborn bitter end. Strangely, there's really not a lot of difference in a lot of ways between Dabo and that ex-Wall Street guy down at Coastal Carolina who is doing all that blue-sky stuff. We've gotten used to pretty much exactly the same blue-sky, weirdo stuff from Dabo too, and we just go with it now because he usually knows something.

There's a fine line between a great fool and a great genius, and the determining factor seems to be whether what you're doing is working or not. Right now it's working - amazingly well, actually - so he's a genius.

The really funny part is, early on in his tenure, some of us who were In The Know and proud of it used to refer to Dabo as "Goat Boy" for his tendency to go home to Alabama and come back with a herd of 2-star goats who couldn't play a lick in tow. The guy learns from his mistakes, maybe better than any coach I've ever seen. Now he's maybe got the best talent-identification and talent-development system in America. NOBODY would have ever seen this coming in 2003, when Dabo first arrived at Clemson.

The guy figured it out.

That's what I figured, and I agree 100%. Back in 2003 I

Jul 9, 2016, 9:26 AM

worked for a company that was headquartered in Birmingham. The President of the company was a Bama grad and a big donor. He told me then "Y'all got a good one". He said he had met Dabo and he couldn't believe that Bama let him get away, and that a lot of folks there felt the same way. He told me then to expect "big things" from Dabo Swinney. I guess for that reason I've always had faith in Dabo, or at least more than some.

"Concept-mover", "paradigm guy", "follows his own convictions" . . . I think you nailed it. I've felt for some time that every aspect of this football program bears his mark, that this is HIS program. It's his vision and it's his drive that makes it go.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: That's what I figured, and I agree 100%. Back in 2003 I

Jul 9, 2016, 10:23 AM

I never referred to him as "goat boy" though. I always thought Dabo had special skills and was a great choice for our program. He has proved it over and over, especially once we got him some money to get good assistants. Everybody needs to remember that Dabo took over the program on an austerity budget due to the Bowden buyout, yet he still managed to keep us heading in the right direction. He is the real deal. He fits Clemson to a tee, and we are a perfect fit for him, too.

im just curious which players from bama were like that?

Jul 9, 2016, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Recruiting observation: There is no way for someone like me ]

A

Jul 9, 2016, 7:33 AM

I would add that HCDS & Co have accomplished a lot by getting max production out of most guys they've recruited. It's as if you can add an entire star(+/-) to each recruit's rating. And that's what good coaching can do.

And since I'm loving this 'high' we're currently on, but am a believer of strategic planning 'five years out', goals, objectives, and etc., what is most reassuring to me is that the coach who is currently rated number three in the nation for recruiting is/would (IMHO) be the heir apparent should HCDS move on to other endeavors.

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Great player development, for sure.***

Jul 9, 2016, 9:33 AM

- H. L. Mencken

Jul 9, 2016, 8:51 AM

Just for the sake of discussion I Would add the following - Clemson recruiting has added 1 critical criteria into the mix. The 'character' of the player. I think the role played by what CDS has referred to as 'Clemson Google' - where potential recruits' social media is analysed along with determining if this recruit is a 'fit'. Is he a team player, hard worker, coachable ... etc.

Maybe the talent evaluation - is similar to all or most other schools but paying close attention to the recruit's character is making the difference. A 3* or 4* talented, coachable hard worker is preferred over a 5* with character flaws.

I think in earlier years the coaches (possibly) did make this mistake - in offering Bellamy, Clowney, Chad Kelly .... as examples. I know that this is an inexact science & also there is a difference between youthfulness and character issues.

Anyway - just my 2 cents.

Jul 9, 2016, 11:58 AM

BUT all of you are missing something. The first week as coach of Clemson he brought the team to Greenville Memorial Hospital and took them to visit kids in the icu dept.I have a picture of him at the bedside of my granddaughter who had suffered a stroke. He developed a culture that was radical. Some did not understand him saying there are somethings more important that football. You have to win - I get that - but Dabo is developing young men who understand - you need to give back to others, AND NOW his former players keep coming back - drawn to the environment - OTHER TEAMS ARE NOT GETTING THAT SO MUCH.

Around 20 four stars for 8 spots

Jul 9, 2016, 9:41 AM

Can't take them all.

Paraphrasing Mel Brooks

IT'S GOOD TO BE A TIGER

I think every Clemson fan agrees.

Jul 9, 2016, 12:54 PM

I believe that some of our 'kneejerk,' Clemson brothers grieve if a commit decommits but in all honest I try to appreciate that it is likely that he was invited to decommit. A group of possible reason is available upon request. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, but.....

Jul 9, 2016, 1:17 PM

the topic is always fun to talk about and hear everyone's point of view.
What they heard, what they read, what they know or think.
But I agree, for the most part. I think CLEMSON/DABO gets the players they
want. And for me it starts with Devon Hunter and AJ Terrell with our secondary
needing addressed. But also getting big TREY SMITH would be as HUGE as any, right.

Otherwise, spot the ball.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic