Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Double Standard of the ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 4,100

Double Standard of the ACC

Jul 12, 2015, 1:01 PM

I am old enough to remember the probation days in the early 80s. I remember the NCAA came down on us with a 2 year probation period. Then due to the "embarrassment" we caused the ACC at the time we were hit with an additional year by the ACC.

I guess it goes without saying that the ACC stance or standard has changed in this regard. The University of North Carolina has been nothing but an embarrassment in the media in the last few years. Academic fraud and other issues landed them on 3 years of probation by the NCAA. Sure the school itself imposed some penalties, but where was the ACC and why did they not take a tougher stand on UNC? UNC wants it all just to go away because certainly these problems were around when Dean Smith was the coach and they certainly don't want that news coming out.

Now all we have to do is look at the internet or watch ESPN and FSU is all over the place regarding player conduct. I saw the other day where FSU was "in danger" of getting a bad image with all the off the field problems? WTH? If you didn't know better you would think FSU was a part of the SEC.

Step up ACC and take a tougher stance on these schools not living up to the your standard.

Good days to be a Tiger!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Double Standard of the ACC

Jul 12, 2015, 1:15 PM

The ACC is quickly becoming a total joke with the conduct of schools like NC, and FSU. Throw them out!!!

Jul 12, 2015, 4:41 PM

Um, please don't. They are far & away the two largest brands in the conference.

Jul 12, 2015, 4:58 PM

exactly what I was thinking, the ACC would lose at least 30% of it's value.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: Double Standard of the ACC- what gets me is the

Jul 12, 2015, 2:20 PM

commish is an alum of UNC and former AD there. He goes hand holding with them to INdy at the NCAA in attempt to minimize their penalties. He also cuts a tv deal which delays areal network and cash the schools need so his son and his cronies can continue the charade of tv exposure propogated by Raycom. And yet somehow this seems ok to the ACC Presidents. Very disappointing

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Double Standard of the ACC- what gets me is the

Jul 12, 2015, 2:41 PM

there is A TOTAL LACK OF GUTS by the ACC Presidents!add Louisville to the list of schools that need to shape up or get out!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2015, 3:06 PM

no kidding. the double standard has been getting old for years.

Jul 12, 2015, 3:08 PM

Don't kid yourself, the tv contracts changed the landscape of college athletics. Remember when they used to impose tv bans? The conferences must support CBS, ESPN/ABC, and Fox with product. Banning the broadcast of Clemson vs. FSU because one of the two is on probation is never going to happen anymore. Follow the money these days for your answer. Limiting scholarships and recruiting contacts is the worst they are willing to impose on anybody.

"We didn't do anything everyone else isn't doing...

Jul 12, 2015, 5:22 PM

we just got caught" is the party line.

It's fun to see the dumb look on their faces when you challenge them by saying what they have been caught doing is the single most eggregious set of NCAA violations in the history of college sports. "Really?" Yes, really. SMU, Penn State, USC, Miami... The whole lot don't come close to the extensive athletic malfeasance and academic fraud that have defined the true "Carolina Way".

But, alas, the mighty dollar rules, and sadly, it is not even in Clemson's best interest to throw the book at UNC. No one wins by UNC getting the death penalty, so it won't happen.

Roy gets off with a hand slap. The current students and student athletes will pay due to scholarship reductions and bans on post season play, and that's all she wrote.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

That maybe the excuse of some of the fans but that isn't...

Jul 12, 2015, 6:36 PM

the position of Clemson University. Our Football Program and fans paid our debt and served our time. I'm not one to try and minimize the offense by pointing the finger at others. If we live and ran our program by their standards the excuse would be fitting but we don't, therefor it doesn't.

Since then we've suffered the tenure of several coaches whose only virtue seem to be that they ran a squeaky clean program. They led us through decades of mediocrity until now. We've found one in Dabo who has all the virtue of any we've ever had and is leading our Football Program to the top.

Looking back and making excuses for cheating is denying what Dabo is doing. It's cheating him and our program today by refusing to acknowledge the tremendous difference in how our place at the top will be and will have been secured and remembered.

Wrong is wrong and right is right. If we excuse wrong we insult and lessen the effort and work required to accomplish a goal the right way. That's all I'm saying.

Perhaps we may be the first to win a National Championship without cheating?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You'll only get full agreement from me. Good post.

Jul 12, 2015, 8:02 PM

Recent history, the huge stakes involved with conferences and TV contracts, and an emasculated NCAA suggest that UNC will not have to deal with any sanctions of long term consequence,

I wish this was not the case, but I believe our only vengeance will be the satisfaction we can derive from the high standards of athletic and academic excellence that Coach Swinney has developed here at Clemson.

I hope I'm wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 10
| visibility 4,100
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic