Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You guys are going to hate this story, at least some of you
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

You guys are going to hate this story, at least some of you

Jan 10, 2014, 11:55 AM

My wife and I are both working on our Doctorate degrees (second for my wife) at Texas A&M. We occasionally attend basketball games for a little cheap entertainment. On Wednesday we went to the A&M vs Arky S.E.C. opener ($5 tickets) with a friend and her little boy, and guess who else showed up at the game....the evil, egomaniac JOHNNY FOOTBALL.

So anyway, the little boy (Byron) was obviously not raised right, and is a huge Johnny Manziel fan. During a time out in the first half my friend and I walked little Byron down to where Manziel was sitting she asked him if he would take a picture with Byron because he was Byron's favorite football player. Well, I'm sure we all know how this turned out, I mean how else would the epitome of all evil respond to a small child asking for a photo during his personal time.

He graciously accepted the request and tried to chat with the obviously start struck Byron, who had been working out what to say for the entire game, but could not manage to force the words out of his mouth when the crucial moment came (think A Christmas Story: The Santa Claus scene). Anyway, Johnny put his arm around Byron, let my friend take the picture, thanked us and Byron for the support, and went back to watching the game / chatting with the kids sitting behind him.

We made it back to our seats and Byron was on the verge of exploding with excitement. After the excitement had worn off Byron became distraught, the one thing he was trying to ask for but couldn't was Johnny's autograph. My friend found a sharpie (the people at the concession stand were nice enough to donate to the cause) but my friend told Byron if he wanted the autograph he would have to go down and ask himself.

Byron (in 1st grade) walked down to where Johnny was sitting at halftime and Johnny invited him to sit in the empty seat next to him for a few minutes, where they proceeded to have a 2 minute conversation. At the end, Johnny signed Byron's hat (no charge).

To Byron - You the Man! - Johnny Manziel

Byron returned, or basically floated, back to our seats. We asked him what they talked about, and he informed us that Johnny remembered his name from earlier and wanted to know a little about him. Byron said when he was getting up to leave Johnny told him to "go and do great things".

Anyway, the moral of the story, Johnny Manziel, at least on this night, was an awesome guy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great story...made the kid's yr and he will remember it

Jan 10, 2014, 11:57 AM

for the rest of his life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You guys are going to hate this story, at least some of you

Jan 10, 2014, 12:00 PM

nice to hear that. as a grandparent I always appreciate when athletes are nice to little kids. they can ignore old guys like me but be nice to a kid and you have a fan for life.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Johnny football

Jan 10, 2014, 12:01 PM

Is not a terrible person despite what some people say. He won the heisman at a very young age and didn't really handle the stardom correctly. I don't have anything against him and I hope he does well in the NFL, but I don't think he will be a star. He is arrogant but he was raised that way and won the heisman.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Johnny football

Jan 10, 2014, 12:20 PM

John, very well said. I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the main issue in all this was just Manziel being overwhelmed by the press. I graduated from Clemson in 2008 and while Facebook was a powerhouse, things like Twitter/Snapchat/Instagram/etc didn't exist or weren't what they are today. This insane amount of media connectivity is brand-freaking-new.

A huge chunk of the guys here are probably over 35 and they make dumb, emotional rants on here daily. At least Manziel has the benefit of saying he's young. The big difference is, when he says something his 700,000+ twitter followers see it instantly, while the crazy stuff on Tnet is seen by 10 people, many of whom are as dumb and as emotional as the creator of the dumb thread. People shouldn't be so quick to criticize because who the hell knows how you would react in a similar situation at 19 years old.

Regarding the original post here, that's a great story. It's always nice to see bigshot athletes be great to kids. It can really make a huge impact in a little one's life to see their hero is everything they hoped he would be.

It is a great story but as far as us guys on here,

Jan 10, 2014, 12:48 PM

the one's over 35(that mean 36 is old, if so i am hosed) .. when we make a comment or do something stupid, which we can, we check to make sure nobody is recording it or taking pictures of it. Called discretion. Comes with being old!

We certainly don't type it on the world wide web.

Hopefully Johnny has figured that out.

Great for the young man and his autographed hat. Even better it was personalized!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is a great story but as far as us guys on here,

Jan 10, 2014, 12:56 PM

I wouldn't consider 36 old haha, don't worry. Just older than 18-22. The way we act now (I'm 28) is so much different than we did back then. I remember doing and saying things I really wish I could take back while I was in college...I can't imagine having the exposure that a guy like Manziel has had and what sort of trouble it would have brought me.

You may not type dumb stuff on the world wide web, but there are plenty of non 18-22 year olds who do!

+1 for the (no charge) comment

Jan 10, 2014, 12:05 PM

Good story though.

Jan 10, 2014, 12:14 PM

That is good to hear about JM. I had read the SI article back in the summer and it was not flattering at all and then also heard about him getting sent home from the Manning camp in New Orleans.

Everyone is more complicated than the good guy/bad guy personalities we see in movies. Might have caught Johnny on a good night or maybe that is more who he is and he just gets bad press. Don't know.

I do know that I think he will be a successful NFL qb because he obviously has skills and even if he may be a screw up off the field at times, when he's on the field he is the most competitive guy in uniform. He's amazing to watch.

is his acne as bad in person as it looks on tv?***

Jan 10, 2014, 12:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually no

Jan 10, 2014, 12:20 PM

My wife always says that he looks greasy. She was impressed by his lack of greasiness on Wednesday. It was probably because he hadn't just pulled a football helmet off his head.

Are you greasy? You sound greasy.

Jan 10, 2014, 12:24 PM

Cool story tho!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Right now...yes

Jan 10, 2014, 12:26 PM

Need to shower.

Careful,

Jan 10, 2014, 12:35 PM

bob goes for the greasiness....

Complete baptist

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Oh, I know

Jan 10, 2014, 12:36 PM

I'm an internet tease.

That shower line probably

Jan 10, 2014, 12:38 PM

sounded like an invitation to him

I do think

Jan 10, 2014, 12:40 PM

it moved...a little.

Wait, wut?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see anyone judging you here

Jan 10, 2014, 12:50 PM

;)

Love stories like that !***

Jan 10, 2014, 12:30 PM

Jan 10, 2014, 12:36 PM

That is a great story. You know, he might have grown up some since all of the trouble he had in the offseason a year ago. I remember being 19 and dumb, and I also remember growing up pretty fast around that age.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All I can say about Johnny

Jan 10, 2014, 12:37 PM

Is that his teammates genuinely like him. I think that says something about a player.

Cool story but I still wish

Jan 10, 2014, 12:41 PM

they had lost to Duke cause that would have been hilarious and I can't wait until he gets plastered by an nfl safety or linebacker when he tries his cutesy little moves on the pro field

People have been saying that for the last 2 years

Jan 10, 2014, 12:43 PM

I've yet to see him actually get lit up when scrambling, and that's against teams like Alabama, L.S.U., Auburn, etc.

True to some extent I guess,

Jan 10, 2014, 12:53 PM

I could be wrong but I just feel that nfl safeties and backers are going be more disciplined and break down better in general. Time will tell and I'll definitely be watching with interest

I hate that story. ..

Jan 10, 2014, 12:44 PM

Needs more ninjas and pirates...lots of pirates

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Mike Leach...

Jan 10, 2014, 12:46 PM

is that you?

he's already declared for the draft, yet he's still in

Jan 10, 2014, 12:48 PM

school, it seems. as good as the actual story is, that's another smart move by him. he can always come back to finish his degree, as that's usually provided for in the contracts.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ehh, it's still winter break

Jan 10, 2014, 12:50 PM

I doubt he hangs around for actual classes.

That being said. He's a junior and most college football players finish their degree in 3 years because most take summer school. I'm not sure how far he is away from his degree, but he's probably close.

Johnny.......

Jan 10, 2014, 12:53 PM [ in reply to he's already declared for the draft, yet he's still in ]

So, I have always thought Johnny was a competitor, a trash-talker, and a guy who likes to party with the ladies, but I haven't heard anything about him being an a$$ off the field. That video that shows him leaving a Texas frat party, he wasn't running his mouth, he was leaving quietly.

There is a competitive fire in some that just ignites during competition. When I see him being interviewed, he respects everyone and gives props to all those before him and with him, like Tajh and Sammy. He was incredibly respectful to Tebow and David Pollack during the NC game.

Texas AM loves him, all kids, moms, dads, alum, and student body.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic