Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have a source... I know, I know, everyone has a source...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

I have a source... I know, I know, everyone has a source...

Jan 11, 2012, 9:45 PM

I have been very vocal for a very long time that our strength and conditioning program is holding us back. In fact, I think it's the biggest issue facing the Clemson football program. Clearly we've made a move upward and are rising, but if we hope to move to another level, then the S&C Program must be improved from the ground up.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=1069250&messageID=11751743

I have a "source" that says its finally about to change. After a stretch going back to Tommy West, and a stretch where many teams have passed us by in this critical area, including South Carolina, the current staff will be no more. Put it in the official rumor basket if you must, but I think my source is solid.

It's not anything personal with the leader and staff of that group. I am sure they're all cool fellas who love Clemson. I'm sure they know a thing or two about lifting weights. But I don't think the current staff is best for Clemson right now. I am of the opinion (and I think it's visibly and physically supported) that the entire group needs to be gutted and replaced. I think it would pay tremendous dividends, immediately. Starting in spring ball.

I am told my wishes are about to come true. I am trying to not get too excited until I hear it announced from Dabo, but this is what I am told from my "source". I think my source is solid.

Spring Ball starts on March 2nd. The time is now. Stay tuned.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one believes you.***

Jan 11, 2012, 9:55 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I kinda sorta believe him

Jan 11, 2012, 9:57 PM

it probably took a while to write out that message. that's a lot of effort for nothing, right?

I'm not one tell stories on the internet. I am absolutely

Jan 11, 2012, 10:04 PM

telling the truth that a Clemson person I've known for nearly a decade has told me a change is imminent. I trust the guy, 100%. As far as our football program goes, nothing would make me happier.

One way or the other - we'll see.

Jan 11, 2012, 10:07 PM

Pretty black and white.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I wasn't trying to mock you...I hope you are right.

Jan 11, 2012, 10:08 PM [ in reply to I'm not one tell stories on the internet. I am absolutely ]

How soon will we know?

Oh, I know. As far as timing, don't know. There's not even

Jan 11, 2012, 10:12 PM

anyone in the media who knows when Dabo will address the Clemson nation. But he will be.

Re: I'm not one tell stories on the internet. I am absolutely

Jan 12, 2012, 1:02 PM [ in reply to I'm not one tell stories on the internet. I am absolutely ]

Blah blah

and I dont believe YOU***

Jan 12, 2012, 9:28 AM [ in reply to I kinda sorta believe him ]

Re: No one believes you.***

Jan 12, 2012, 11:36 PM [ in reply to No one believes you.*** ]

Yep, thats exactly the way that went down....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The time is now. Stay tuned"

Jan 11, 2012, 9:57 PM

The time is later.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoops I just turned the channel. Crap!

Jan 11, 2012, 10:00 PM

Need to replace the batteries in my remote

Heard from a friend who heard it

Jan 11, 2012, 10:01 PM

from a friend who heard it from another you between messin' around. I don't believe it. Not for a minute.

That's cool. But it's 1 friend, who works at Clemson.***

Jan 11, 2012, 10:05 PM

Re: Heard from a friend who heard it

Jan 11, 2012, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Heard from a friend who heard it ]

http://youtu.be/CZd_YyFzPD0

Hey...he was under the gun so he took it on the run...***

Jan 12, 2012, 1:48 AM [ in reply to Heard from a friend who heard it ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have a source... I know, I know, everyone has a source...

Jan 11, 2012, 10:05 PM

I hope your source wasn't coot radio in cootlumbia. B/C I heard it there today. Caught the tail end of it headed to the store....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am sorry but you guys don't know what you are talking

Jan 11, 2012, 10:11 PM

About when it comes to Coach Batson. I am biased I know because I worked for the man, but the program that he uses is always cutting edge. He tries to always learn what's the best thing to use. The program is a mix of Olympic Lifting, core training, traditional lifting,grueling conditioning work, top notch speed training and very position specific training. how do you know that the Carolina strength program has passed us by? The OL excuse holds no water, we have had maybe 2 top notch OL recruits in the last 20 years and the ones that were supposed to be good have been really bad. I coached in college for 8 years and professionally for 2 at it is really hard to listen to you guys bash his program when none of you guys have ever even seen a session. The Clemson off season Training program is probably one of the most grueling in the NCAA, and I beg anyone on hear to go watch the team lift or run this off-season(assuming coach B is still here). If you want you can see a little bit of the bench and squat program by looking up Louie Simmons on the website and finding the chains and bands part off his workouts. He also uses speed specific training when it comes to hang and power cleans (to ensure explosive movements). I understand everyone's frustrations but I just wanted to defend him a bit. There have been some enormous gains from players throughout the years. One example is a 219 LB as freshman became a 310lb DT who has now played about 8 years in the league(Nick Eason). John Leak could hang clean about 235 his freshman year and saw him during his sophomore summer do 5 sets of 3 at 315lbs on the hang clean with a 30 sec rest in between. I know this is a small sample but again I think Coach B needed to be defended a bit. Don't hate me guys I love Clemosn as much as anyone can, and I was throwing things at the TV during the Orange Bowl too, but please don't just read some article from a guy who probable never played football or just think because we lost to UsuCk the last 3 that Coach B has forgot how to coach. he was here for a lot of wins against those turds from Columbia to.

Thanks for listening to me.

Sorry for the typos, on an IPad and trying to be fast

Jan 11, 2012, 10:16 PM

F

Re: I am sorry but you guys don't know what you are talking

Jan 11, 2012, 10:20 PM [ in reply to I am sorry but you guys don't know what you are talking ]

I`ll tell you why I am all for a change in this area. One, we have changed coaches in every position at least twice in 20 yrs and sometimes 3 times. But, at the end of the day, we are still physically whipped in those matchups. Not only in the o-line but at rb, db , lb and dt!! That much is without debate. When you`ve changed coaches multiple times, and there is still a problem through multiple players, then ya gotta look at what you haven`t changed. And that is S&C coach. I went to the Wake game this yr and sat directly behind clemson bench, thank you whoever holds those season tickets that we walked up on and they sold them to us. but, what me and my son saw was staggering. Before the game wake players had a look of physicality that was so glaring that I told my son to look at those guys over there. They look like men compared to us. And you know that they were the more physical team.... by a loooooonnnnnnggg way. Not to mention , but wofford was more physical than us as well. Talent, maybe not. You can be not in as a shape and still out talent some teams. But when you play teams that are more talented and physical, then you`re gonna get beat more times than not!!!

they should look bigger we have like 43freshman

Jan 11, 2012, 10:36 PM

I get your points but the thoughness is not lacking from what happens to theses kids in the off weakness. We have basically had the same "bowdenisque" leadership at the top off the program for what the last 11 years? with that being said I think the moves that Dabo made last year were Awesome and know sometimes there just needs to be a change. But I pretty sure from my experience coaching at 3 different d1 programs and traveling to "learn" from others that coach B is giving these guys everything he has. I wished their could be some kind of fan clinic you guys could go see. I do respect your response.

Re: they should look bigger we have like 43freshman

Jan 11, 2012, 10:38 PM

Nice input. I haven't commented on it because I simply do not know.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Hey man, just wanted to say thanks for the post

Jan 12, 2012, 2:03 AM [ in reply to they should look bigger we have like 43freshman ]

I've been very critical of the man myself, for the most part without any evidence to back it up. I think the various stuff we've seen posted on here is somewhat convincing, but like you said, that's only from the other side. It's tough to argue with the critics. Everyone is looking for someone to blame and fact is, we haven't been a physical team since he's been here. We've been pretty soft, but maybe it's a psychological thing (I think that's what you were alluding to?). I can tell you one thing, fans ain't gonna tolerate getting blown off the ball by frickin' Wofford and Troy, that's for sure. I don't doubt Batson's strength building methods, but perhaps it's the wrong kind of strength. Perhaps a competing philosophy emphasizes flexability and functional strength over power lifts. Just spit-balling here, hope you don't take any of this stuff (not just in this post, but in general, personally). I think we all are just trying to figure out why this team is so #### inconsistent.

Re: they should look bigger we have like 43freshman

Jan 13, 2012, 12:58 AM [ in reply to they should look bigger we have like 43freshman ]

I know Batson and his staff. I have spent time in the weight room (the old one in Jervey and the new on at the stadium) He is a master at tooting his own horn and people like you lap it up. You are emotionally influenced by a personal relationship with someone who is using outdated methods and has been producing subpar results during his entire tenure. I know he is convincing but if you really went to comparable clinics at Alabama, Oregon, Florida, LSU etc...you'd know how foolish your argument is. There is a massive difference in the functional strength, speed and expectations of excellence at other programs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s not personal. You’re clearly influenced by knowing Joey

Jan 11, 2012, 11:19 PM [ in reply to I am sorry but you guys don't know what you are talking ]

All I can say is, if you haven’t noticed South Carolina has gotten stronger and more physical than us since Craig Fitzgerald arrived, then there’s really no sense discussing this any further. Do some research on Fitzgerald. You’ll see he has the pedigree.

Along those lines, did you watch the National Championship game on Monday? Could you not see the size, strength, and explosiveness of those players? Do you think those guys came out of high school like that? No. They were basically the same size as the guys we have, but they grow 'em differently. Again, do some research on those S&C staffs.

Citing a couple strong and/or self-motivated guys that have come through our program does not counter the obvious. We are talking about the program as a whole. And saying or guys are young means nothing either, since we don't see guys get bigger in our program. There is data that supports that. The eye test supports it, and the numbers support it. We are not making the gains that leading programs are. Simply put, we're getting beat most often because we are not strong enough. It cannot be realistically denied. It must change, and I believe it's just a matter of time.

Guys do get bigger and stronger. Where is this data?I

Jan 11, 2012, 11:35 PM

Can call Joey tomorrow and get the guy records from Freshman-Senior years and I will bet you anything there are huge differences in them since they go here. That makes no since saying their are no gains.

Devil I have a serious question for you and others...

Jan 11, 2012, 11:44 PM

If you looked at the Bama linebacker (the not so eloquent one in his interviews) he is a beast. He ALSO has that sculpted forehead where the bottom along his brow jutts out big time. Many of the Bama athletes have this characteristic forehead. Is that from juicing with roids or HGH? I've read and been told by someone in the know that it was likely HGH. Could this be the difference in Batson's S&C and other programs?

Does the NCAA test for HGH? If not.....

Jan 11, 2012, 11:47 PM

we're behind the coots for a reason then.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Does the NCAA test for HGH? If not.....

Jan 11, 2012, 11:53 PM

no..they test for steroids and the PE's that would be listed on their website....also for drugs like adderal ....high levels of caffeine....to date they do not check for some of the drugs that can be taken in the off season...discontinued and then started again..like right now when no one is drug testing.....most schools scared to "go there"...but there are some that are already doing so.....

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HGH is definitely a possibility. Those guys are also differ

Jan 12, 2012, 12:02 AM [ in reply to Devil I have a serious question for you and others... ]

Cats than we have been getting to. We get maybe 3-5 true beast a year while Bama gets about 15-20 a year that are almost ready made. And to the other guys comment that bama and LSU players are the same as ours in high school I guess that means that about 100 other schools can not develop players like Bama and LSU either. It's not some big secret on how to lift weights, and each team has the same amount of hours to work with.

Do they not test for that in college. Was HGH used ...

Jan 12, 2012, 12:09 AM

routinely by college players when you were coaching in college? in the pros?

Not used then, but more prevalent now

Jan 12, 2012, 11:50 AM

G

Oh Stanley. You little joker, you.***

Jan 11, 2012, 10:12 PM

Jan 11, 2012, 10:21 PM

I believe you!!

I'll believe it when I see it. Hope you're right****

Jan 11, 2012, 10:27 PM

Jan 11, 2012, 10:37 PM

Batson has won the title of master s\c coach from the cscca which is its highest honor

Jan 11, 2012, 11:18 PM

http://cemetery-hill.com/2011-articles/december/talking-clemson-strength-and-conditioning-problemgram-w-scott-gunter.html

if i could give your multiple thumbs up..i would

Jan 12, 2012, 12:02 AM

great link...

Good post.

Jan 11, 2012, 11:40 PM

I actually pointed you for offering such a comprehensive description of our S&C program. It's good information. Based on what you wrote I would argue that the protocol does what it is designed to do. But, I can't dismiss the obvious fact that something's still out of whack. The unnecessary losses we had are pointing at SOMETHING. Don't know if it's lack of DESIRE, COMPLACENCY or some other mental factor. At some point our will to fight just flys out of the stadium and we concede defeat WAY too early. I would have almost enjoyed seeing us take some personal fouls in the OB or anything just to know that ours guys were AT LEAST p!ssed off.

I agree with on that

Jan 12, 2012, 12:06 AM

T

Listen to this, and you'll be convinced a change is needed

Jan 12, 2012, 12:04 AM

It's a bit of a interview, but this guy absouletly knows his stuff. I really hope Dabo & crew got a hold of this and listen to this.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cfravels-community-call/id481548432

Play #2

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is wrong in the first .30 sec

Jan 13, 2014, 3:26 PM

The dead lift is not one of the 3 core lifts. The Hang Clean and The Power Clean are part of Joey's core lifts. And he uses two "speed " days on the bench and squat where he uses bands and chains on the end of the bars and you have to exploded through the lift and it gets harder the further you get in the extension. At NO point in any lift does Joey teach a slow controlled lift. he actually teaches the opposite in the clean,bench,squat and power clean. This guy has no idea what Joey's program is. Louie Smmions does not teach slow movements either, and the Olympic lifting part of Batsons program is all about speed and explosion. They do a 3 rep max for speed instead of a 1 rep. this guy has no clue.

He could be wrong on all accounts. You obviously know

Jan 12, 2012, 1:40 AM

more than 99% of this board since you worked for Batson. Right?

However, the results on the field don't lie. Entirely to often, our players get physically whipped, when there is no reason too.

While there may be a discrepancies b/n the O'line recruits we get and other schools (I feel we've lacked in this area), there is no reason to see our players in most other positions get handled. Especially to inferior schools with inferior talent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indefinitely understand your feelings there. I have no

Jan 12, 2012, 11:51 AM

Answer for that

Re: He is wrong in the first .30 sec

Jan 12, 2012, 7:48 AM [ in reply to He is wrong in the first .30 sec ]

He has his program. Batson is a power lifter and employs those techniques

Re: Listen to this, and you'll be convinced a change is needed

Jan 12, 2012, 7:46 AM [ in reply to Listen to this, and you'll be convinced a change is needed ]

http://cemetery-hill.com/2011-articles/december/strength-conditioning-a-coaches-most-important-hire.html

The notion that explosive lifting creates explosive strength

Jan 12, 2012, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Listen to this, and you'll be convinced a change is needed ]

is a crock.

Did you pay off all your bets? Are you still solvent?

Jan 12, 2012, 6:26 AM

Obviously, we finished behind SCar in the polls.

Re: Did you pay off all your bets? Are you still solvent?

Jan 12, 2012, 9:13 AM

Nothing yet.

Jan 12, 2012, 9:23 AM

I'm shocked; absolutely shocked.

Jan 12, 2012, 10:54 AM

It has only been a few days so hopefully he will pay off the bet.

Link to bet.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=9&threadID=986186&messageID=10867461#10867461

One bet, and no, not yet.***

Jan 12, 2012, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Did you pay off all your bets? Are you still solvent? ]

The athletic department should invest in P90X. You should..

Jan 12, 2012, 9:19 AM

see the before and after pictures on their infomercials.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

so much for your source!***

Jan 12, 2012, 11:17 PM

Jan 12, 2012, 11:56 PM

go back to FGF coot...Batson is stayin' just read the presser on the front page of TNET.

What presser?***

Jan 13, 2012, 12:00 AM

Boy were you wrong, and proven wrong very fast to***

Jan 13, 2012, 12:22 AM

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic