Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: The runner stumbles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Sunday sermon: The runner stumbles

Oct 30, 2011, 6:58 PM

"In many things we all stumble. Yet though the righteous may stumble, they rise again."

For the first time this year, we stumbled. And make no mistake, we did a whiz-bang job of it.

Offensive turnovers, defensive lapses, special team lapses ... this one was a team effort. Credit the Jackets, who were clearly better prepared, blame the coaches, blame injuries, blame the long stretch before our desperately needed week off, blame Sports Illustrated, blame the guys finally buying into the shouts of "BCS!"

Blame anyone you'd like. They probably all had a hand in things. But, there's no escaping one glaring fact:

It's the end of October, and the Sons of Clemson have lost a game. There is no reasonable scenario that will allow them to play for the national title.

I'll give everyone a moment to pause at the enormity of that statement. Going into the first week of November, Clemson has no hope of a national title.

None. Zip. The best we could possibly do is perhaps a Top Six finish, an ACC and BCS title and national accolades for the coaches, players and school that we have come to embrace.

Heck, we might as well close the concession stands for the Wake game. NOBODY wants to see an also-ran.

Why, wasn't it just last year that we were in the national title hunt until ... Sept. 18. The year before that, Sept. 10. The year before, Aug, 30.

Obviously, y'all get the idea. The runner has stumbled. What matters now is how he gets back up and runs.

If I know this team, if I know the collective heart of the Sons of Clemson, they will get back up and sprint. They will mount up on the wings of eagles. They will run and not grow faint. They will run without ceasing to the goal which is there before them.

A dream is gone. Reality remains.

And that reality is better than any dream. We stand poised to be the most successful team a generation of Tiger faithful have seen.

We need only climb up, dust ourselves off and claim it.

Rest well, then prepare and rise to capture all that is there before you, Sons of Clemson. No one will be able to stop what you together commit to.

Let this be our commitment: Forget what lies behind and look forward to what is coming. And let those who choose to turn back know lament at the things they denied themselves.

The runner has stumbled. Behold how he shall run from here.

It's going to be glorious, Tigers.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen Brother!!!!***

Oct 30, 2011, 7:04 PM

Nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice!***

Oct 30, 2011, 7:04 PM

Oh My brother, Testify!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Oct 30, 2011, 7:05 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice as always Chick. And IMO we win out! *******

Oct 30, 2011, 7:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just one more thing...maybe rethink the Gee-Hawd, as

Oct 30, 2011, 7:09 PM

those always seem to end up as a Childrens' Crusade.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

It has been glorious-who can disparage a team that's gone 8

tough, tough, games and won. So we stumbled..who doesn't? These are our Tigers-National Titles can wait for our youngsters to grow up a bit. Who would have thought we'd be here now?? I think we should enjoy every moment of this year so far (ok,maybe not all of last night-but how bout sammy as QB?) and look forward to the rest of this season and the next and the next....Go Tigers! All well said as usual Rev!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Win out and the road to the BCSCG will be so much

easier. 13-1 teams with a BCS victory on their resume get preseason love. If we finish strong, we'll the chased rather than the chasers. I predict a whole lot of fun in our future.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Amen Brother! Couldn't have said it better!***

Oct 30, 2011, 7:11 PM

Right On, Rev! Right On!***

Oct 30, 2011, 7:40 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rev, I'd never sleep through one of your sermons.***

Oct 30, 2011, 7:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Yep, we as fans shouldn't be writing checks

Oct 30, 2011, 7:45 PM

our guys can't cash!!

Stupid is as stupid does!!

Fans are notorious extremists...

Oct 30, 2011, 7:48 PM

Remember: The fans of Jesus on Palm Sunday were hollering for Barabbas on Friday.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is applicable to SO many things in life.

Oct 30, 2011, 8:02 PM

Thanks Rev!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday sermon: The runner stumbles

Oct 31, 2011, 8:52 AM

Rev, I always look forward to your sermons after the games on Saturday. I must confess that when I read that sweet front page story about the little girls that greet the team and Dabo every week, I groaned a little. The part that made me groan was when Dabo said he started looking for the girls to get high fives and that they were his lucky charms. I know this may seem a little far fetched, but that statement made me think that Dabo was looking to superstition for his team's wins. Stay with me. Before that, Dabo gave glory to God and stayed focused on the fact that what they had achieved was all from God and that they were to let their lights shine! Then the story about the lucky charms appeared and I got a knot in my stomach. I didn't voice out loud that I felt the team was going to lose, but it was a very real feeling. After the loss, the story about Peter getting out of the boat and walking toward Jesus on the water came to mind. I thought about how Peter believed, but he took his focus off of what got him on the water in the first place. He started sinking when he focused on the 'other' things. BUT, when he cried out, Jesus immediately took his hand and pulled him out and led him back to the boat. You know what feeling I have now? Win out! I believe the focus has returned and Dabo and team are back in the boat. Go tigers!

Oct 31, 2011, 9:36 AM

Well I think the thing about the little girls was directed to them rather than about what kept our team going. Dabo's gift is to make people around him feel good about themselves. So he praised two little girls who were doing all they could for their Tigers.
As usual, Rev. is right on.

Oct 31, 2011, 12:57 PM

I know. I realize the thoughts I have have nothing to do with the outcome of the team. I just thought it was a neat analogy to soothe the blow of a loss. I thought the story was inspiring and shows the class of our coach. :)

Re: Sunday sermon: The runner stumbles***

Oct 31, 2011, 9:04 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice job again Rev!***

Oct 31, 2011, 9:05 AM

Thank you. My Monday morning is already better!!***

Oct 31, 2011, 9:35 AM

Thank you reverend for a lovely sermon

Oct 31, 2011, 5:17 PM

I believe we will rise and and run after the off week. I think this team is different. At least I hope so.

My point in the plate.

Preach on, brother.***

Oct 31, 2011, 5:19 PM

Very Well Written Rev

Oct 31, 2011, 6:06 PM

Lets fix what's broken and move on. This means not glossing over the poor tackling, lack of toughness and weak effort on Defense and Special Teams and moving forward with our best solution. Coach Steele and Coach Dabo will have to decide if the LB and DB starters can change their stripes or they need to be replaced.

Oct 31, 2011, 6:51 PM

You write the best post and make the most sense.

First of all, TU for a great post.

Oct 31, 2011, 6:54 PM

I wish you were my pastor because I can honestly say that I would never sleep through one of your sermons. Thanks Rev and keep 'em coming.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Nice Rev.

Oct 31, 2011, 9:06 PM

:)

Lead, Follow, or Get out of the Way.
Sine Pari- The tip of the spear.
Cofounder / USASOC Black Daggers 2001

Great as always...got me thinking. Who is the "Rev" of FGF?

Oct 31, 2011, 9:34 PM

Lol.

Re: Great as always...got me thinking. Who is the "Rev" of FGF?

Nov 1, 2011, 12:43 AM

I would not have you for a pastor simply because you think God acknowledges football games. He might answer a prayer to keep all safe but I cant believe he sides with anyone in games we play.And the sacrifice of our Lord and the thread of redemption should not be compared with the actions of any game. I have been a lurker here through many football seasons but I had to say this. Call me a coot or whatever but if we sought after Him as much as we do football there would be much less sin in the world. Can I preach a little ? Just doing as I am called.

No problem: If we all followed the same preacher...

Nov 1, 2011, 7:36 AM

...a lot of us would be out of work. There are folks who refuse to listen to preachers because of the color fo carpet in their sanctuary, and I guess your errant assumption that God doesn't enjoy football is no less specious.

To me, the notion that the Almighty doesn't carry a special place in his heart for the Sons of Clemson and their faithful, a group he has clearly blessed above others, is confusing at best and sorrowful beyond measure.

God loves Clemson and Clemson fans, like he does all people. He just allows us to spend our time on Earth a tad closer to heaven than the common rabble. Makes it easier for him to watch the games.

Re: No problem: If we all followed the same preacher...

Nov 1, 2011, 6:02 PM

Are you a snake handler? Not bashing your faith just wondering because of your picture. If you think God blesses one team over another what did Ga Tk does this week to gain His? How many gamecocks hate the tigers? How many tigers hate the gamecocks? I would suspect many.
I used to hate UNC with a passion before the Lord found my raggedy tail.If you read this post consider this: Anyone who hates his brother is a murder and you know a murder cannot enter the kingdom. Is it not your calling to preach this,I love all of you and I love all carolina fans and pray for all to come to repentance. I do not think a sports message board is a place where Christ wouldnt go because of the fans . You never know when God is speaking through another. But enough, Rev I will see you on that glorious day for I discern you are my brother.

BTW, since you brought it up....

Nov 1, 2011, 7:18 PM

I'd appreciate your showing me where in this missive it was stated (1) that the Almighty follows football (which he does, BTW) and (2) where it said he prefered Clemson over other teams (which he also does, btw).

I never said that was the case, but I'm certainly willing to accept that the Almighty holds Clemson near and dear to his heart.

Thanks!

Thanks Rev!***

Nov 1, 2011, 7:39 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you...

Nov 1, 2011, 6:49 PM

I needed that for more than just post-game blues.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 1, 2011, 7:21 PM

Rev, absolutely great!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic