Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My report from Clemson (long)........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

My report from Clemson (long)........

Oct 21, 2011, 10:46 AM

Yesterday was a cold, windy clear day in Clemson. There is that beautiful, fall, colored hue to the campus that makes you just want to walk around and take it all in.....you remember! It was a light coat day and one which seems to bring out the scents of a campus which really seems to come alive at this time of the year.
As I've previously related on this board, whenever I get to town early for a game, its my wife and my "tradition" to go down to practice and thank the team and wish them luck in the upcoming game. Sometimes we're lucky enough to have the grandchildren with us because you just can't start early enough teaching them all things Clemson. We've been doing this for as many years as I can remember and as you can see from my handle, its been a while since we graduated from CU.
Yesterday was a little different because unlike normal, there were a few people there with us. A few young couples with their children and some grandparents with their grandchildren. Usually we're there by ourselves. Its nice to see that the team's hard work and success is being recognized and rewarded. We took a couple of Nike signature balls along for the man cave and a Xmas present.
As practice ended, the first to leave is always the defense. The coaches lead the way and they sprint, as a team, from the practice field to the waiting trams. For some reason, they can't stop and talk or sign autographs. One of the reporters told me that's the way they've started doing it....I never remember that before. We all did clap, wished them the best and they side fived everyone of us as they passed by us standing next to the tombstones.
After ten minutes or so, the offense then slowly and staggered started to come out. The first out was Mike Bellamy and he was in a slow sprint separated from the others who were walking slowly. I want to say right off the bat that Mike Bellamy is THE nicest player that we talked to yesterday which says a lot because they were all great! Bellamy has a wonderful personality with a big smile and wants to engage in conversation, even after a long practice. We discussed the fact that we were from Florida also and he asked if it was warmer at home. You just have to meet this kid. Quite an engaging young man. You can't help but really like him. He seemed very upbeat, asking questions and taking meticulous time to slowly autograph our footballs so that "it would look nice". He told me as he left that he was going to try to"bring one home" for Florida Saturday".
Next by was Tajh. When we asked him if he'd sign our footballs he said "of course". He was a big personality like Bellamy. We could clearly see why he is in charge of the team. He asked us a lot of questions and he, like all of the others, were so very kind to all of the fans and the children. Later, as everyone had talked to us, Tajh came back to us, asked us if we got everyone because if we didn't, he'd get them for us. When we told him we were good, he thanked us for asking him and told us to have a great weekend like"we intend to do".
Then Andre came by and he was great. As the others were following behind him, he told them to get over here and autograph these footballs for the folks. He pulled over D.J., Peake, Bryant Charone, Dwayne and some others and thanks to Andre, we actually had a group of players waiting to sign. They were fooling around making fun of each others autograph and telling each other to do a good job so that the people had a nice looking signature ball. They were really funny and Andre was really nice for doing that.
Sammy and Dabo were the last out because we could see them getting interviewed. Sammy was really quiet but took the time, as did Dabo and all of the offensive players to sign every autograph and take pics with everyone. We discussed that we were from Florida and I told him that Bellamy said that he was going to bring one home for Florida Saturday and he said that he would make sure Bellamy did't o"one up him". I told him that I liked the sound of that! Before he left, I asked him if he had seen the Sammy shirts that had a helmet with the number 2 and dreads coming out the back. He looked surprised and said he'd have to check that out. My wife told him that she bought one yesterday but it was too cold to wear there. He laughed.
Finally, Dabo was kept late by the reporters and he kept apologizing to everyone that he had to run because he was trying to get to his son's game, yet he signed EVERY autograph and took a picture with each and every kid.....as he was apologizing. He came over to us and in a matter of minutes, he had asked us 20 questions about us and thank us profusely for coming out to see the guys and coming all the way up to Clemson for the games.....he was thanking us!
I ran into a friend of mine at practice, Keith Jennings, former CU and Bears tight end. He was there with one of his friends, former Tennessee and Bears teammate, Jeremy Lincoln. They told me that they spoke with Tony Steward and that he was a little down but they told him that it was not uncommon at all that someone who suffers an acl injury to one knee often suffers another to the other knee. They saw it a lot in the pros. They both thought he'd be fine.
Anyway, Clemson was really getting crowded yesterday evening as the fans seem to be getting in early and its getting little congested already today. Our experience with the team yesterday and Dabo made me want to post this to let you all know the quality and character of the individuals that are involved in our program. There is NO doubt that we have a certain individual that we look for to enter this program and we are not going to settle for less. I can't say enough about these guys, but especially, Dabo Swinney. Successful or not, this is one of the finer men that you will ever meet and watching him interact yesterday assured me that he exemplifies everything good about Clemson University.
The last thing I remember about yesterday was Dabo leaving in his pikup for his kids game, after having spent time with EVERYONE, still apologizing that he had to run!!!!!! Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My report from Clemson (long)........

Oct 21, 2011, 10:51 AM

Great post, thank you for that! I like reading about the great character we have on our team. I want to see Mike and Sammy one upping each other back and forth all day tomorrow =D

I don't know how things have been in the past...

Oct 21, 2011, 10:51 AM

At least from an "inside" perspective..

But this team seems to have a lot of maturity and class and leadership. They seem to have embraced the fans. It also seems like in years past there have been times where the fans or the media have had high expectations for the team only to be let down. This year, I feel like the TEAMhas high expectations and are making every possible effort to see these expectations through.

Here's to a TarHole beatdown Saturday!

GO TIGERS!

Re: I don't know how things have been in the past...

Oct 21, 2011, 11:03 AM

I worked in the athletic dept. in the past and was around the football team for about 5 years around 04-08 and I don't know about this new group of players because I haven't been around them - but from what i've read and seen, they have something that alot of our former teams lacked.....swagger and confidence. This group bleeds confidence and I think it all starts at the top with Dabo, I think he's the difference.

If it weren't for all of the stupid celebration penalties, I think this team would remind us alot of those 1980's teams in terms of attitude and performance.

Celebration penalties....? Did I miss these?***

Oct 21, 2011, 11:24 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't mean that we had been getting celebration penalties

Oct 21, 2011, 11:46 AM

I was referring to the rules of celebration penalties that came into effect about two years ago.

Very nice report.

Oct 21, 2011, 10:55 AM

You make me want to quit my job, jump in the truck and head down there right now! I hope you and your family have a great visit this weekend.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very nice report.

Oct 21, 2011, 11:06 AM

Made me want to do the same thing. Very nice post, enjoyed all of it. Makes me feel great about our program and what Dabo has done. I said from DAY 1, that Dabo is the guy to change the culture. Win a championship or not , he's my guy for a long time and hope he stays here for a long time. Can't help but like the son of a gun.

Amen and AMEN ! ! ! ! ! !***

Oct 21, 2011, 12:45 PM

Me Too!!!***

Oct 21, 2011, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Very nice report. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2011, 10:55 AM

I enjoyed reading that. It's sort of a testament to the fact that we recruit nothing but high character type kids.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for that.***

Oct 21, 2011, 11:02 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Dabo is special. And he wants and appreciates special people***

Oct 21, 2011, 11:07 AM

Oct 21, 2011, 11:09 AM

Good show. I think that you confirmed something that we all suspected. Just a few years ago this may not have been the case but the Clemson Tigers are blessed with great leadership and the results show on and off the playing field. Not everyone can say that. It is a wonderful experience for me to read the morning paper and not be concerned about something embarrasing happening at Clemson. Do you know anyone who is a Tiger and isn't proud of it? I bet not.

There really is something special in them hills up there...***

Oct 21, 2011, 11:28 AM

Great report...I hope you told them ClemBert sez RUTS!***

Oct 21, 2011, 11:14 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Forgot to mention RUTS for you but........

Oct 21, 2011, 11:19 AM

got them to commit to getting a few for the Sunshine! Give everyone at the club my best!

paragraphsssssss***

Oct 21, 2011, 11:14 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: paragraphsssssss***

Oct 21, 2011, 11:24 AM

Uh - they're in there.

Great write-up 72FLA!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great story.***

Oct 21, 2011, 1:16 PM

63-17

I think you mean, indentionnnnnn and spaaaaaaaaaaaacing***

Oct 21, 2011, 12:28 PM [ in reply to paragraphsssssss*** ]

Since you two are being sorta rude, what's "indention?"***

Oct 21, 2011, 3:23 PM

Own less, do more.

Thank you. Good post!***

Oct 21, 2011, 11:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for sharing...proud of our team/coach***

Oct 21, 2011, 11:33 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Oct 21, 2011, 11:39 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience. We are blessed to have Coach Swinney and his staff at Clemson. His leadership sets the tone for the entire team/program.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

excellent post!

Oct 21, 2011, 11:50 AM

Thanks for sharing!

I'm bringing my Dabo Swinney autographed

Oct 21, 2011, 11:55 AM

football down to get some more signatures! Great post. Thank you for posting.

Great report 72 Fla Tiger. Glad the team is ready to go!***

Oct 21, 2011, 11:57 AM

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

good stuff***

Oct 21, 2011, 12:05 PM

Bellamy: Re: My report from Clemson (long)........

Oct 21, 2011, 12:30 PM

Does Bellamy seem like he's happy to be there from what you can tell?

Thank you 72 Fla. Tiger....great post!!****

Oct 21, 2011, 12:44 PM

Nm

Great post - thanks for sharing !***

Oct 21, 2011, 12:47 PM

Great post. Thanks so much for sharing!

Oct 21, 2011, 12:50 PM

We are so lucky to have Dabo!

Point for you, thanks for sharing!***

Oct 21, 2011, 12:56 PM

Oct 21, 2011, 12:56 PM

I usually don't read long posts. Usually I have a lot of things to do and a lot of places to go. So, I post here on my phone when I can.
I'm certainly glad I opened this one. Makes me very proud to be part of the best fanbase in the country.
Thanks for posting and thanks for making the trip!

All In, All The Time...1314797352813

Watching this team score a TD says it all

Oct 21, 2011, 2:15 PM

* They act like they belong in the end zone
* They don't taunt the opposing fans
* The players on the field and off congratulate each other
* The "skill" players block for each other and thank the guys that got them there
* The coaches are happy, like they should be.

agree 100%...not that I care what they think but I wish the

Oct 21, 2011, 2:41 PM

rest of the country realized we come down on the field, not rush the field, after every game regardless of who we play and the outcome of the game. It's what we do. Like I said, not that I care, but I'd like people to understand that we as fans aren't acting like we've never been here before. Although for an undefeated season I'd be willing to do almost anything regardless of anyones thoughts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for taking the time to write this. Wish I could have

Oct 21, 2011, 2:33 PM

been there!

Thank You....***

Oct 21, 2011, 2:50 PM

Really enjoyed that. Question: Are they available like

Oct 21, 2011, 3:30 PM

that after every practice, or just the Thursdays before the game or what?

And how many people were there?

Sounds like fun.

Good post....good folks.....both you and the team.***

Oct 21, 2011, 3:35 PM

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic