Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The roar in Death Valley will be quieter this year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

The roar in Death Valley will be quieter this year

Aug 15, 2011, 4:20 AM

About three months ago I asked for prayers for my Father, and this week after a tough battle with cancer he passed peacefully at home surrounded by his family. Thank you all so much for the prayers, and know we were all strengthened by your thoughts and prayers. Our family is mourning, but taking some measure of solace that he is at rest and no longer in pain. This is, as you could imagine, a tough time for our family, but we are also spending time celebrating his life.

This post will do little to share even an ounce of the amazing man he was, but some may find it interesting to glimpse into the life of a Clemson man who made his family, school, and country proud. And if anyone is interested here is his obituary ( http://tinyurl.com/GTFabian )

He was a lifelong Clemson fan and a member of the class of 69.

While at Clemson he was part of Scabbard and Blade as well as AF ROTC

(2nd from left)

He served his country in the Air Force as a Doctor and did so honorably. After retiring from the Air Force he spent the last seven years working for SC DHEC.

There are a million things he was. He was a doctor, a military man, a Clemson fan, a movie buff, a South Carolinian, as well as being the hardest working man I've ever met. When he decided something was the right thing to do, he decided to do it. And when he decided to do something, it got done. I've never met a man like him and one day I can only hope to be a tenth of the man he was.

He was all of those things, and so much more.

But, to me, he was simply my Dad. And I miss him.

Sorry for rambling, but I felt like sharing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The roar in Death Valley will be quieter this year

Aug 15, 2011, 4:26 AM

Thom, I am very sorry for your loss. Lost my dad last October and still am not sure how I will re-act at the Troy game this year. I can tell from your post how proud you were of him. All I can say is God bless you and your family and we will continue to remember you in our prayers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, and my condolences on your father

Aug 15, 2011, 4:28 AM

Suddenly the USF game has gone from a day I wanted to forget, to a day I will always remember. It may have been ugly football, but it was the last time I got to sit next to my dad and watch the Tigers play. What a sweet memory it is now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know what you mean....SC game of 84 was my last game

Aug 15, 2011, 7:24 AM

sitting next to my dad.

Aug 15, 2011, 4:54 AM

So very sorry for your loss. He will always live in your heart and memories....

Aug 15, 2011, 5:16 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with you in your time of grief. May your memories bring you comfort.

The Valley might be quieter but Heaven will be louder.

Very touching...Thanks for sharing and

Aug 15, 2011, 5:14 AM

I think I speak for all of us when I say "Go Tigers!"

Aug 15, 2011, 5:48 AM

I promise we will make some noise for him.
Sorry for your loss.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2011, 6:09 AM

So very sorry for your loss. Will keep you and your family in my prayers. We lost my dad 2 years ago, so I know what you are feeling. Knowing that your dad is no longer suffering is a comfort, as it was for us. Every time I hear the Tiger Rag or see the Tigers at the top of the hill, I know my dad is there. God bless.

I'm sorry to hear of your fathers passing. He sounds a lot

Aug 15, 2011, 6:30 AM

like my dad, a Clemson grad and a career Navy man. I lost my dad in '95 and I can still feel him when I am at the games, he is cheering on the Tigers with your dad now.

Re: I'm sorry to hear of your fathers passing. He sounds a lot

Aug 15, 2011, 11:31 AM

I lost my Dad the last day of '88 and I still get tears in my eyes when I am in the valley thinking of him being there.

Great post thanks for sharing.

Aug 15, 2011, 6:43 AM

Prayers for you and your family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You've done your Dad proud, Thom.

Aug 15, 2011, 6:54 AM

Thank you for sharing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Aug 15, 2011, 6:56 AM

My sincere condolensces. My Dad died in 1989, and I am now 60, but I think of him, and miss him, every day. God Bless you and your family.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Savior. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Aug 15, 2011, 6:58 AM

Great Post!!! I know how you feel, my dad was an origioinal member of IPTAY and he too loved the tigers. I lost him twelve years ago and I still have great memories of him when I think of Clemson. Just know he will always be up there for your to talk to. Thanks again for your great post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am sorry for your loss....

Aug 15, 2011, 7:15 AM

I lost my father last month who was a class of '56 graduate. He was the foundation of our tiger family. I know prayer will comfort you but hold those memories close to you as well in the days to come. God bless you and your family.

You and your family are in my prayers.***

Aug 15, 2011, 7:20 AM

Here the sons of dear Old Clemson reign supreme always

Aug 15, 2011, 7:22 AM

RIP

Dang! So sorry for your loss, Thom!***

Aug 15, 2011, 7:33 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our prayers and hearts go out to you.

Aug 15, 2011, 7:33 AM

Heaven will ring a little louder with roars for the Tigers this year.

I too!

Aug 15, 2011, 7:50 AM

As a Clemson grad '98, SSgt in AF Guard, and a current SC DHEC employee..... I feel as though a small part of me has moved on to a greater part of life. I appreciate everything he has done for not only this state but for our country as well. He is what a lot of us should look up to. My Clemson family passes on their prayers to yours!
PS: If anything, Death Valley will be louder as he cheers from the heavens!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice tribute to your Dad ! Prayers to you and the family.***

Aug 15, 2011, 7:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My prayers go out to you and your family

Aug 15, 2011, 7:53 AM

Such an event is surely a sad time, and it is good you are celebrating his life cause now in the place he has gone he is disease free and living eternally with our Lord!!

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Thanks for sharing. God bless.***

Aug 15, 2011, 8:07 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Awesome man!! Meaning your father. I know you and your

Aug 15, 2011, 8:12 AM

family are hurting right now but just remember what you said, he is in no more pain. Hopefully he will look down on the Tigers this year and help them even more. I know he will be giving all those carolina fans hell up there!!!!

Touching tribute. Sorry for your loss.***

Aug 15, 2011, 8:24 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very touching post.

Aug 15, 2011, 8:26 AM

I am very sorry for your loss. It appears your Dad was an incredible man. You and your family are in my prayers.

Chip

my thoughts are with you and your family***

Aug 15, 2011, 8:27 AM

God Bless. Made me think of my dad.***

Aug 15, 2011, 8:34 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with your family. I had the

Aug 15, 2011, 8:38 AM

pleasure of meeting your dad a couple of times. My mother worked with him at DHEC. He was a very nice man and a great Clemson man. Sorry for your loss.

Prayers for you and your family Thom***

Aug 15, 2011, 8:54 AM

Aug 15, 2011, 9:04 AM

What a fine tribute to such a fine man. Went to High School, 4 years at Clemson and then Medical School with your Dad. He is all that you said and more. I only recently learned of his illness and am so sorry that it happened so quickly but his faith ensures his Peace and comfort now. And I am sure you you have a multitude of memories to sustain you during the difficult days ahead. Your Dad would be very proud of your tribute to him. And thanks to him for his service to our country and to our profession.

Thanks for sharing that man...

Aug 15, 2011, 9:05 AM

You are just gonna have to roar twice as loud this season for your dad. Sounds like an awesome Clemson man.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The TIGER NATION will miss him***

Aug 15, 2011, 9:11 AM

Aug 15, 2011, 9:18 AM

Great post. God bless and I am sure your Dad will be yelling again come kick off! Thanks for the reminder that it is just a game.

Aug 15, 2011, 9:30 AM

Prayers for you and your family as you both grieve and celebrate his life. I graduated in 1970 but did not know your father.

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your

Aug 15, 2011, 9:32 AM

tribute to your father.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2011, 9:37 AM

Your post puts things in the right prospective. It isn't all about the wins and losses it is about the things that are important in our lives. The important thing is that we share the games with people that we love and we create memories that last forever. I am close to your Dad's age and you can bet that I will do things this year to make sure that I do some special things with my two children. Your post was a tribute to you and your father. Thanks for putting things in the right order of importance.

So sorry that your dad had to suffer and that you could

Aug 15, 2011, 9:39 AM

not have had him with you longer. Condolences to you and your family.

A fine post and condolences to you and your family.***

Aug 15, 2011, 9:41 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A great and loving tribute. God be with you.***

Aug 15, 2011, 10:23 AM

Aug 15, 2011, 10:45 AM

God bless you and your family. Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my Dad 10 years ago to cancer, and it's never an easy thing to do. He was 51.

I hope your grieving will be short, and your fond memories will sustain you.

Aug 15, 2011, 11:29 AM

Prayers go out to you and your family at this tough time. Please don't ever apologize for lauding the praises of a man such as your father. These memories help in times such as these.
God bless.

Your father sounds like an awesome man......

Aug 15, 2011, 11:38 AM

May God bless you and your family.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prayers from your family from mine.

Aug 15, 2011, 11:49 AM

I lost my dad to cancer last month. Your father sounds like an awesome man.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

A salute to Dr. Fabian...a Clemson Man Supreme, Alway!.....

Aug 15, 2011, 12:01 PM

C.L.E.M.S.O.N. & Cadence Count 1,2,3,4, 1,2,3,4, C L E M S O N T I G E RRR S Fight Tigers, Fight Damit, Fight-Fight!

And, May He rest peacefully...where the Blue Ridge Yawns Its Greatness...where the Tigers Play.

Thank You Sir for your love for Clemson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prayers and best wishes to you and your family

Aug 15, 2011, 11:56 AM

What a great representative of the Clemson family. Makes me even more proud to be just a small part of it :)

Literally have tears in my eyes...

Aug 15, 2011, 12:05 PM

I do not know you or your father, but he sounds like he was an outstanding man. I mourn for your loss, but know that he is in a better place, looking down on you and Clemson both.

Prayers are with you and your family.

null

Likewise - just realizing that he was a fellow "Rat"..

Aug 15, 2011, 1:43 PM

adds to the realization that our time here grows shorter and we should strive to leave a similar legacy for those around us as this fine Clemson gentleman did.

Awesome tribute, your dad would be proud of you!*****

Aug 15, 2011, 12:08 PM

Nice tribute Thom.....

Aug 15, 2011, 12:14 PM

My God bless and comfort you and your family during this difficult time.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

sorry to hear of his passing...

Aug 15, 2011, 12:14 PM

thanks for sharing

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for sharing. God be with you and your family

Aug 15, 2011, 12:15 PM

I'm sure your dad is proud of you all! God bless.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we'll just make it that much louder in his honor!***

Aug 15, 2011, 12:15 PM

Prayers offered.***

Aug 15, 2011, 12:17 PM

Sorry for your loss***

Aug 15, 2011, 12:22 PM

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

Aug 15, 2011, 12:29 PM

Somebody gave this a TD????? ###

Aug 15, 2011, 12:39 PM

I am very sorry for your loss and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

You must have been extremely proud of your father in that he was a veteran. God bless him.

Prayers for you and your family. God bless***

Aug 15, 2011, 12:41 PM

Aug 15, 2011, 12:47 PM

What a lovely post.
I'll be thinking about this as I sit next to mom and dad on Sept 3.
So sorry for your loss. I am glad you have these wonderful memories.

Sorry for your loss. Whoever down-pulsed this:

Aug 15, 2011, 12:55 PM

end yourself.

Aug 15, 2011, 1:39 PM

Thank you for sharing. I am sure he will be sitting right beside Frank Howard and Jim Phillips to watch his beloved Tigers play.

Thank you for posting this. It is a wonderful tribute.***

Aug 15, 2011, 2:09 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2011, 5:08 PM

In your prayers tell him I said thanks.
And in the many conversations you have with him over the coming years, as you ask for guidance and say thank you as you will many times, remember that he was a great man and worthy of the respect of all of us.
Even the ones like me who were never privileged to meet him.

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Aug 16, 2011, 1:14 PM

Dear Thom,
i know what you are going through right now. I lost my Dad--Class of 1941--Dec. 14, 2008 and there is not a day I don't think about him.
I know that our Dads will know each other in Heaven. We know this because "Clemson Gentlemen need No Introduction".
Thom, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your Family at this time, and remember that "Our Tigers' Dad Roar Will Echo o'er all the Mountain Heights"

Ron Wright

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic