Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Take on Dabo's 2 Full Years of Coaching Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

My Take on Dabo's 2 Full Years of Coaching Clemson

Jun 2, 2011, 3:58 PM

in terms of Good and Bad for Clemson

1st Full Year

Won the Atlantic went to Champioship Game - Good for Clemson
Lost to the Coots - Bad for Clemson
Beat Kentucky in Music City Bowl - Good for Clemson
1st Full Recruiting Class #19 in the Country - Good for Clemson

2nd Full Season

Lost to Coots 2nd Year - Bad for Clemson
Losing Record - Bad for Clemson
Lost Bowl Game - Bad for Clemson
Fired Napier and Powell - Good for Clemson
Hired Caldwell, Elliot, Morris, Hobby - Good for Clemson
Brad Scott Moved to Administration Role - Good for Clemson
Recruiting Class #8 in Country - Good for Clemson

When it gets bad you look for moves that are good and he made them!!

While most of this looks fairly good it is still to early to tell if Dabo will or will not work out. I personally think these changes and the increase in talent will most certainly make us better.

I saw, in this off season, a coach who learned from his mistakes and from my point of view grew into the position of Head Coach a little more.

I also see a coach who will gamble on Gameday which is what a lot of us were griping about with TB. TB is too conservative, our D doesn't attack.

Well guess what, Dabo is not conservative and now our defense does attack. Seems to me we got a lot of what we were looking for in Dabo when the hire was made. Sure he was not experienced, but it is the decision the administration made.

If we support Clemson we will support our Coaches, up to the point that a change needs to be made. It is a bit too early to cry for a change. He gets this year and I am willing to say next year for sure. If we are no better by then, it is time to start the search for the next Head man.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

some points

Jun 2, 2011, 4:08 PM

In the first full year I would throw in losing to a 2 win Maryland team in yet another Whiskey Tango Foxtrot game as a 'Bad'.

Also, there are some things in the second full year you have as positives which might as well be negatives for the first full year. By that I mean you have 'Fired Napier- Good for Clemson' which also means that in year 1 'Hired Napier - Bad for Clemson'. See?

Also, you seem to be attributing a lot of the defensive credit to him, but he's not really involved with that side of the ball. Now, give him marks for getting and keeping Steele. But honestly that's sort of a wash. The defense under Koenning was in the top 15 or so every year he was here.

Defense hasn't been our problem; offense has. And we promoted and kept the majority of the offensive staff back in '08. Because we're brilliant like that.

Once again, I support Clemson, a coach is a means to an end. In your opinion it's too early to draw conclusions about Dabo, in other people's minds, it's not.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

very true, thanks for your opinion

Jun 2, 2011, 4:14 PM

I knew I had missed stuff as I was thinking at a very high level to get this posted quickly.

I was hoping for rational replies and this is a good one

well... it's just no fun...

Jun 2, 2011, 4:15 PM

when we're all rational and there's no name calling.
I demand to be called a name!!

Re: well... it's just no fun...

Jun 2, 2011, 7:15 PM

Shirley you don't mean that.

Re: well... it's just no fun...

Jun 3, 2011, 10:39 AM [ in reply to well... it's just no fun... ]

You're just a a "A Name!"

Koenning's problem was he could not get off the field late

Jun 2, 2011, 4:16 PM [ in reply to some points ]

in games. When we needed a three and out his passive give but don;t break system gave too much.

and yes Steele orchestrates the defense and the credit to dabo was hiring and keeping him.

You are claiming we fixed that problem?

Jun 3, 2011, 10:24 AM

6:11 to go in the 4th. All we have to do is keep our opponent from driving 86 yards and we win the ACC Championship.

The best Clemson fans are the ones who don't watch the games. But at least all your posts are starting to make sense.

And...here we go***

Jun 3, 2011, 3:30 PM

Re: some points

Jun 2, 2011, 4:27 PM [ in reply to some points ]

Not trying to justify anything, just making points:

> In the first full year I would throw in losing to a 2
> win Maryland team in yet another Whiskey Tango
> Foxtrot game as a 'Bad'.

Virtually every team, every year has losses to team they should have beat. Upsets happen every single Saturday.

> Also, there are some things in the second full year
> you have as positives which might as well be
> negatives for the first full year. By that I mean you
> have 'Fired Napier- Good for Clemson' which also
> means that in year 1 'Hired Napier - Bad for
> Clemson'. See?

Every coach in the history of the game has made hiring mistakes. Dabo kept Billy because the college football world see Billy as an "up and comer", Billy was involved in team's offense prior to Bowden's departure, and for continuity. Dabo made a hiring mistake, but assistants are fired every single year. Nobody makes all great hires.

> Also, you seem to be attributing a lot of the
> defensive credit to him, but he's not really involved
> with that side of the ball. Now, give him marks for
> getting and keeping Steele. But honestly that's sort
> of a wash.

Dabo, the CEO, gets just as much credit for our defense as the blame he did for our offense. It's just that simple.

>The defense under Koenning was in the top
>15 or so every year he was here.

Not sure what that means? Tommy Bowden should get credit for that.

> Defense hasn't been our problem; offense has. And we
> promoted and kept the majority of the offensive staff
> back in '08. Because we're brilliant like that.

Offense wasn't a problem in 2009, granted it sucked out loud in 2010. But again, the head coach is responsible for both sides, both good and bad. You can't criticize him for one side but not praise him for the other.

>In your opinion it's too early to draw
> conclusions about Dabo, in other people's minds, it's
> not.

Bottom line is, it is too early to tell about the staff. Anyone who thinks they have enough to go on is not being reasonable or logical.

Jun 2, 2011, 5:42 PM [ in reply to some points ]

you mean 'promoted' Napier, not 'hired'...there's a difference you know?

I'd like to know how some people think Dabo is going to get promoted and then clean house immediately without ruining his reputation from the get go.

Napier was 'promoted' and Clemson managed to get to the ACC championship game. Napier was let go after a disappointing season.

Jun 2, 2011, 6:13 PM [ in reply to some points ]

WOW tiger6 You nailed that on the head.

I fell out with him when he called us (the fans out) when it was his terrible job of coaching that was to blame.

And just about a month before he was forced to get rid of his church buddies Scott and Napier, he stated he had the best assistants in the nation?? I still think Napier got a raw deal because we never found out if he could coach. Dabo was running the offense. All facets of it.

Dabo was ordered to make the coaching changes, to hire an offensive guy, promote scott sideways ----- if he wanted to keep his job---the attendance at the bowl game shook the admistration up.

Dabo made these changes reluctantly, kicking and screaming all the way.

I don't trust him. I don't think he can keep his hands off the offense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow

Jun 2, 2011, 6:21 PM

you don't have a clue ....that's a FACT

You've obviously twisted simple facts into your own soap opera.

Jun 2, 2011, 6:18 PM [ in reply to some points ]

WOW tiger6 You nailed that on the head.

I fell out with him when he called us (the fans out) when it was his terrible job of coaching that was to blame.

And just about a month before he was forced to get rid of his church buddies Scott and Napier, he stated he had the best assistants in the nation?? I still think Napier got a raw deal because we never found out if he could coach. Dabo was running the offense. All facets of it.

Dabo was ordered to make the coaching changes, to hire an offensive guy, promote scott sideways ----- if he wanted to keep his job---the attendance at the bowl game shook the admistration up.

Dabo made these changes reluctantly, kicking and screaming all the way.

I don't trust him. I don't think he can keep his hands off the offense.

Re: My Take on Dabo's 2 Full Years of Coaching Clemson

Jun 2, 2011, 4:14 PM

Hired Caldwell, Elliot, Morris, Hobby - Good for Clemson

You made a mistake "great for Clemson"

Getting rid of Scott should be in bold too

Jun 2, 2011, 4:16 PM

and a larger font.

Brad Scott is done damaging Clemson. Jr's turn now.***

Jun 2, 2011, 4:17 PM

Watch our WRs run circles around you in November. Gonna

Jun 2, 2011, 4:40 PM

be fun.

Jun 2, 2011, 4:15 PM

Good breakdown of the last two seasons. We will see how things work out the next couple of years.

Staff changes are a "push" until we play this season.***

Jun 2, 2011, 4:17 PM

DANG!!!!!! I was hoping you wouldn't reply!!!!

Jun 2, 2011, 4:20 PM

but I guess I gave you the opportunity to dog out our coaches some more!!

He can't pass that up!***

Jun 2, 2011, 4:25 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I agree, but not all "good" and "bad" points are equal.

Jun 2, 2011, 4:21 PM

Winning or losing a game here are there (yes, even if it's the coot game) is not nearly as important in judging a head coach as 1) the quality of staff hires and 2) the ability to recruit.

So with this in mind I would say the first year Dabo's staff hires would have been a C- or a D. The defensive hires were great, but the offensive hires were very weak.

The assistant coach changes this year get a A. I like all of the new coaches.

Recruiting his first full year gets a B and last year gets an A+.

Jun 2, 2011, 4:41 PM

Don't think any of us are qualified to judge, good post though.

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

It is certainly too early to cry for a change.

Jun 2, 2011, 4:52 PM

However, Dabo doesn't have a lot of rope to work with either.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

This season will tell us whether Dabo is over his head.***

Jun 2, 2011, 6:22 PM

Re: This season will tell us whether Dabo is over his head.***

Jun 2, 2011, 6:34 PM

I know last season turned out a losing record. Clemson took Auburn to the woodshed, until Parker got hurt. Had he been healty all season, then it could have been a different type season. It was some of the best football played all season against the national champions. The prevent defense at the end of the first half allowed the Auburn fans back into the game, too. Prevent defense sucks!

possibly, but still hard to tell

Jun 3, 2011, 8:46 AM [ in reply to This season will tell us whether Dabo is over his head.*** ]

with all the coaching changes and relying on the freshman so hard in their first year, it will still be hard to determine if he is in over his head.

You have to expect some rough times with the new scheme and relying on youth so hard.

I hope the rough times are ironed out though for the sake of our football program!!

while you are correct

Jun 3, 2011, 9:38 AM

that normally bringing in a new OC and having young talent would warrant a two year commitment; that would be basically 5 years he's been here.

Now, without going too far down paths already travelled many times the problem with that is that people who feel that he was unqualified to begin with OR people who thought we weren't that far away back in '08 probably aren't going to be receptive to the 'wait until the year after this' line of argument.

Do you NEED 5 years to tell if someone is a good coach given the situation our team was in back in '08(by his own words an 'oil change' rather than a total rebuild)? I submit you don't.

I like the changes he's made, I like the talent he's brought in(though I qualify that because we've been hearing about talent around these parts for the last 6 years and haven't gotten much in the way of hardware out of it). But to me, this is the year. Win or get out of the way. You may say that that's not fair, and it may not be, but I don't think he deserved the job in the first place back in '09. Honestly now, had he not gotten the job at Clemson do you think at this point he would be a head coach at any other BCS level school?

Dabo will git er done...he's a Bama Boy, isn't he?!

Jun 2, 2011, 9:34 PM

Go TIGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2011, 9:39 AM

cant get his crap together early in the year

consecutive 2-3 starts, maybe a third on the way

took him half the season to figure out who needs to be on the field last year

first coach to lose to cooters b2b in 40 years

last couple of seasons have been failures....blown opportunities and spotty play...tb had a better staff and a better team...do not forget which coaches dabo beat usc with

did dabo wink at you guys the right way ot something?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You expose yourself when you call for

Jun 3, 2011, 10:14 AM

1 or 2 more years before we fire Coach Swinney. It is the definition of pumper shortsightedness. The truth is that if you truly believe in Coach Swinney, his fire point is 3 years from now. This year is a throwaway year while we install a new system. Next year we lose 4 out of 5 starting offensive linemen, so we throw that year out. 3 years from now Boyd will be a senior, our superstar class will be coached up (can you imagine Sammy Watkins after 3 years under Coach Scott?), and our new offense will be running like a well oiled machine.

Stop with the "1 more year" mantra. Call for 3 or better yet, completely stop with the "next year will be better" approach. It is tiresome.

Pumper shortsightedness sure beats arrogant negativism!***

Jun 3, 2011, 3:40 PM

You made some very valid points***

Jun 3, 2011, 10:55 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Morris was the biggest hire of all.....

Jun 3, 2011, 11:31 AM

If Dabo has the fortitude to allow Morris to "completely" run the offense.
That's putting a lot of faith in a first year coach to save your job.
Morris did amazing in his first year out west adapting to what he had in personnel. Hopefully he can do the same again.

Morris is the key.

As others stated Steele and our defense didn't get the job done in the Championship game. Either they were gassed and/or weren't aggressive enough.

You did a good job looking at the overall picture for the last two years. It was a good read.

Bottom Line: Wins and losses

Jun 3, 2011, 3:22 PM

too much shinola in this post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bfe6CgYbH8

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic