Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sigh...another Mickey Blog.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Sigh...another Mickey Blog.

Apr 28, 2011, 12:54 PM

Don't ask me why I care so much about principles like the quality of journalism and the sanctity of the written word. I recognize that I'm a 36-year-old dinosaur. But today's blog from Mickey is one of the strangest pieces of "journalism" I've seen in a long time. It blends a faulty premise with an utter disregard for grammar and punctuation while displaying a complete lack of understanding of the definition of the word "similar." Where to begin?

The blog starts with a wonderful trip down memory lane, recollecting one of the most amazing baseball seasons in Clemson history. Of course, you’d have to remember it well to know exactly what year Mickey is talking about. The blog never once mentions that Khalil’s amazing season was in 2002. Some people may not have been Tiger fans back then, but that’s OK.

Then we get this gem:

At the time I thought I would never see anything close to that type of season again but for the past month, I have seen something similar from Brad Miller.

Isn’t that kind of like saying, “That pizza was so good that I don’t know if I can ever have another pizza again, but for lunch I’ll have the tacos”? No doubt about it, Brad Miller has had an amazing month at the plate. But what made Khalil’s 2002 season so amazing is that…well…he did it over the course of a full season. Minor detail, I know.

But what I love most about this blog is Mickey’s definition of “similar.” You know, since Miller’s month is “similar” to Greene’s 2002 season. And by “similar,” Mickey apparently means “high on base percentage and not much else.”

Khalil not only hit for average and got on base, but he hit for power with 26 home runs and a staggering 234 total bases. He knocked in 86 runs. He stole 16 bases. Mickey gives us all the stats.

And then Mickey tells us that, for the SEASON, Miller has two homers to Greene’s 26 and 69 total bases compared to Greene’s 234. Anyone who remembers 2002 knows it wasn’t just about the homers with Khalil. He swatted 30 doubles that year; I think Miller has 7. So Khalil had 57 extra base hits, to around 12 or so for Brad. This is like saying that Sam Fuld is performing similar to Barry Bonds because his batting average is high coming out of the gate.

Finally, Mickey leaves out the one statistic that could actually strengthen his point – Miller has 18 steals, in 21 attempts. He has been valuable on base like Greene was in 2002, even though his power numbers are so different.

I am in no way trying to take anything away from Brad Miller, who is a heck of a ballplayer and our offensive MVP thus far this season. But this is simply one of the laziest pieces of writing I’ve ever seen on Tigernet. It’s an insult to Greene’s 2002 season to call Brad Miller’s year “similar.” It’s lazy, sloppy writing in concept – before even getting into the usual grammatical errors, punctuation mistakes, and typos.

Like this last line:

Clemson does need him to hit over .500 like he has been as of late but a hot Miller could really help take this team to its goals still on the table.

This is the only website that I read regularly where I often walk away with absolutely no idea what the writer is trying to say. Does Mickey really mean that Clemson needs Brad to hit over .500? Does he mean that we don’t, but we need him to be as strong as he can be? Is there a word missing? Should “does” be “doesn’t”? There are so many options. It’s like a half-filled Mad Libs page sometimes.

I really enjoy Tigernet, but the “oldest and largest Clemson Sports Community” deserves better than this. It was bad enough when the execution was poor and embarrassing, but now the content is just ludicrous.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well...

Apr 28, 2011, 1:10 PM

Brad is hitting .431 for the season. Granted, he only has 116 at bats compared to Khalil's 265 at bats in 2002. Still, .431 this deep into a season is really good. Kyle Parker is hitting .435 so far, but it's a much smaller sample size. Yes, Brad is not the power hitter that Khalil was, but he's a better base stealer. Brad gets to balls hit to him very quickly and has made some outstanding plays. He's only committed 6 errors all season, a .955 fielding percentage, a percentage that is close to what Khalil had as a senior. Again, Brad hasn't had as many chances as Khalil did in an entire season, but if you figure that defense is more consistent than hitting, it isn't unreasonable to figure that Brad will finish the season somewhere in the .950 range. Of course, if you compare their junior years, Brad blows Khalil out of the water.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely - Brad is having a wonderful season.

Apr 28, 2011, 1:34 PM

It's just not really "similar" to Khalil in 2002.

Sigh...another complaint about Mickey

Apr 28, 2011, 1:14 PM

i always thought blogs were intentionally informal and non-traditional. What makes me curious is this lenghty whine...sorry, but i am not on the same page as you on Mickey's comments.
nice structure, grammar, spelling on your part

Informal shouldn't mean sloppy...

Apr 28, 2011, 1:29 PM

I have a blog with a readership probably .00001% of the one here, but I read through my posts at least three times before publishing to catch any mistakes.

Informal? Yes. Nontraditional? Sure.

Apr 28, 2011, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Sigh...another complaint about Mickey ]

But nonsensical? Nah, I can't agree with that.

Like I said in my original post, it was bad enough when it was just poor grammar and punctuation. But today's concept is a fallacy, and contains sentences that can't be decoded into English. And if that's the case, then what's the point in writing at all?

informal does not equal incoherent

Apr 28, 2011, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Sigh...another complaint about Mickey ]

The blog is trash

How about a spellcheck?***

Apr 28, 2011, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Sigh...another complaint about Mickey ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sigh...another Mickey Blog.

Apr 28, 2011, 1:32 PM

Yes, Miller is a crucial part of our club (especially offensively). He doesn't really think we need him to hit a ridiculous & almost impossible .500 though does he? We have guys like Schaus, Kieboom, Schaffer, Hinson, etc. It's not like Miller is the only guy that can hit.

I wish I knew the answer to your question.

Apr 28, 2011, 1:38 PM

I'd really like to know what Mickey's point was there.

Apr 28, 2011, 1:45 PM

As for Mickey's blogs - I just read 'em for what I think they were intended - just a relaxing, almost interesting, almost correct short reading about our TIGERS. Nothing more is expected by me. Perhaps you're trying to expect too much from his blogs. I read some of them in recent weeks and was underwhelmed too - until I realized that no matter what ANYONE blogs - there are always those who will disagree and rip it apart. I wanted to do the same (and may have actually done that), before I sat and thought for awhile how very difficult that job would be for me.

So for me - in the future - I'll just read 'em and enjoy them - fully understanding that I probably disagree with almost every one of them. :)

Peace.

Mickey's blogs are often painful to try to read...

Apr 28, 2011, 1:50 PM

The grammar is usually very bad. I can't really excuse this in the day of auto spell, etc. C'mon Mickey, just take a little more time in checking your work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey's blogs are often painful to try to read...

Apr 28, 2011, 2:10 PM

The guy was a frat boy golfer. Cut him some slack. ;)

Mickey is a moron...don't waste your time with his blog***

Apr 28, 2011, 2:34 PM

Mickey fail English? That's unpossible****

Apr 28, 2011, 2:37 PM

Apr 28, 2011, 3:06 PM

Miller will end up probably be the better avg hitter, ob% and steals; but wont come close to KG's power, TB, RBI's.

They are really only comparable with their defense (Brads this year and KG's jr. and sr. year.. look back at KG's freshman and soph fielding at 3rd(easier to field than SS) and at SS they were atrocious as well))

With these bats Miller wont ever be able to hit for power but Khalils great year was his senior year, and you probably wont see Millers unless you follow minor league baseball closely.

Don't rain on his ticker take parade...***

Apr 28, 2011, 3:27 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2011, 3:32 PM

I enjoy Mickey's blogs and find them informative for the most part. They are not intended to be literary masterpieces. You can either complain constantly about them, enjoy them as they are written or not read them at all. Seems with these choices available to you, there shouldn't be much to complain about.

another Mickey Blog. Triggers a Khalil comment and ?

Apr 28, 2011, 3:40 PM

Your mention of Khalil reminds me I checked to see what he is doing. He signed with the Rangers last year but never reported due to his social anxiety disorder as I recall. I've seen and heard nothing about him this year baseball wise. Does anyone know what he is doing?

I wish him well as a person whether he ever plays MLB again or not. I always liked him and hoped the MLB thing had gone better for him as I think skill wise he could have been a great player.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But, bet 'You're gonna miss him when he's gone'!***

Apr 28, 2011, 3:51 PM

I won't wait by my computer anymore...****

Apr 28, 2011, 4:04 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dunno, "similar" is a pretty amorphous term.

Apr 28, 2011, 4:37 PM

I think your definition is "almost identical."

didn't he major in PRTM?

Apr 28, 2011, 4:42 PM

there's your answer

Apr 28, 2011, 9:29 PM

Mickey continues to devalue a Clemson diploma

Apr 29, 2011, 10:49 AM

yeah see his blog last week

he answered two emails? 2?
Lazy would be a good word.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2011, 1:21 PM

I'm pretty sure that's because he only got 2 emails. His blogs are very poorly written, but I think the 2 emails last week have more to do with his lack of credibility than with laziness.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic