Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Clowney, or anyone, want sto go to Clemson (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,524

Why Clowney, or anyone, want sto go to Clemson (long)

Feb 7, 2011, 10:15 PM

I know there are probably many ways that T-net would like to influence Clowney, most of which would be a violation. I would like to suggest the following:

Trust in Clemson

What I mean by that is….I was raised in Columbia SC, and was a typical teenage male. I only paid attention to the things I absolutely had to and only for as long as I had to. In my mind, life was for the experiences and I was experiencing all I could. This left me very impressionable.

So as a Sophomore in High School I went to Clemson for the first time to participate in a ROTC drill meet. I knew absolutely nothing about Clemson and certainly had not even thought about attending college. Therefore, I had no expectations or pre-conceived notions about Clemson, but that was about to change.

I still have a perfect picture in my mind of the first glimpse of the campus (I'm 53). The bus had come through downtown and as it turned in front of Bowman Field ( it was early spring, the grass was green, the trees were budding, the sun was shining through the oaks and backlighting Tillman Hall) I was totally, 100% percent AWE-STRUCK!!! (remember I grew up in Columbia, so USC was my only Campus reference, and trust me, prior to this, the only thing that had ever impressed me was of the female variety) Needless to say after being on campus for 2 days I knew without a doubt that this was the ONLY place I would consider attending. For the next 2 years I did experience other campuses, and some were very nice, but there was never a doubt that Clemson was the only place for me.

I spent over 5 years here as a student (I never said I was a good student) and every day spent here only reinforced the love I have for Clemson. I don't remember EVER having a bad day at Clemson. I moved back to Clemson 2 years ago to work in the area, and I can't explain the why it feels SOOOOO GREAT to be back but it is totally unbelievable.

I know that there are literally thousands that have similar feelings and experiences from Clemson. That is why I'm not really worried about what we DO to recruit Clowney. Clowney has been to Clemson and that is really all that has to happen. If the Clemson "EFFECT" doesn't hook him then maybe there wasn't "Something in Those Hills" for him, and in that case, then, it is probably best that he go somewhere else. But I think that is very unlikely.

Just to make thing clear, I don't really care if Clowney plays for Clemson or not, but all the talk about why he would want to come drove me to relate why I think most people come to Clemson and why, once they get here, they usually fall in love with the place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Niiiiiiiiice

Feb 7, 2011, 10:20 PM

Thanks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Yeah...Tigertown is home away from home, every time I come.

Feb 7, 2011, 10:23 PM

Go TIGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Clowney, or anyone, want sto go to Clemson (long)

Feb 7, 2011, 11:10 PM

A great post. People who have never been to Clemson will never understand what you just described. It is a special place.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2011, 11:16 PM

here here! Nice post and I had the same feelings the first time i was on campus

Clemson is truly a special place.....

Feb 7, 2011, 11:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Why Clowney, or anyone, want sto go to Clemson (long) ]

in the hearts of anyone who catches the spirit.

Feb 7, 2011, 11:42 PM

I grew up in and still live in Pickens County. I have been around Clemson University all my life and have attended football games for 39 of my 42 years ( thanks Mom and Dad). I graduated from CU in 1992. I love to be in Clemson and I appreciate even more now what a special place Clemson is. No one should be shocked when people want to be a part of it.

Feb 8, 2011, 5:47 AM

True,and very well stated..

Re: My first trip was 1979..

Feb 8, 2011, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Why Clowney, or anyone, want sto go to Clemson (long) ]

I was 8 years old and a buddy invited me to go to the Maryland game. We sat at the very corner of the one upper deck at that time on the lake side. I could see the lake, the mountains, the campus, the countryside. It was beyond belief for a young lad from Lexington County.
It didn't matter that we lost 19-0 that day, I was hooked and went on to see me and my brother graduate in the early 90's.

Feb 8, 2011, 6:34 AM

Dittos!!! Point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2011, 7:48 AM

The last home game my son asked a friend of his who is a long time coot, if he would like to come to the game with us. We got on campus at 730am my son wanted to show is friend around since he had only flew across the campus. Now understand he is a die hard coot has box seats and 2 parking passes in the lot where the trains are. While we were tail-gate-n my son got his friend to put on a Clemson coat & hat for pictures.Don't know if it was because my son is his Cpt. and hes a Sgt. either way we got pictures. Long story cut short after the game on the way home he ask me if USC was playing an away game and Clemson had a home game would it be ok if he came with us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice post Dfan....

Feb 8, 2011, 11:26 AM

This was actually a very well thought out and nicely written piece on Clemson. I graduated in 1989 and each year since then my memories of Clemson being "a special place" only seem to get stronger every year. My father and my mother were Clemson grads too, so when I come to Clemson once a year to visit them I always feel like I am coming "home". Beautiful campus and the southern hospitality is always such a nice change from the Florida crowd. Great write-up!!!

Re: Why Clowney, or anyone, wants to go to Clemson (long)

Feb 8, 2011, 11:31 PM

Thanks for all the positive replys

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Clowney, or anyone, wants to go to Clemson (long)

Feb 8, 2011, 11:48 PM

Pointed you but that doesn't seem like enough. Great post. Says it all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,524
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic