Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you have never been on a headset during a football game..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 3,901

If you have never been on a headset during a football game..

Sep 12, 2023, 11:29 AM

there are typically several folks giving "input" on every play. That input is typically not opinion, but rather observation from the responsible coach including, but not limited to...

On offense:

- Down and distance
- Defensive line technique (What are they showing 0,1,2i,2,3,4i,etc...)
- Linebackers (what they are showing)
- DB Coverage (what they are showing)
- Defensive tendencies for given situation w/ corresponding offensive options to counter tendencies.
- Direct questions are answered by the appropriate coach.
- Play selection and call.

This all happens really quickly and typically in good order. The guys with headsets are not, in my experience, all discussing play calling and/or speaking over one another. Each has a predetermined responsibility and each provides that input as required/requested.

It's also pretty hectic on a sideline. You have players coming and going, coaches and players talking/yelling over one another, fans yelling, officials communicating with coaches, etc... and the headsets provide a calm/quiet environment where all of those distractions are muted and decisions can be made.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Well I read somewhere that Dabo is changing or even...

Sep 12, 2023, 11:35 AM

...straight-up calling plays.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Well I read somewhere that Dabo is changing or even...

Sep 12, 2023, 11:39 AM

Somehow, I doubt he would intentionally undermine his high paid OC, but I guess anything is possible

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2023, 11:41 AM

link...

http://www.tigernet.com/clemson-forum/thread/even-if-riley-is-indeed-calling-all-the-plays-2277131?tstart=0

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

LOL

Sep 12, 2023, 11:57 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hes done it in the past, whos to say hes changed?

Sep 12, 2023, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Well I read somewhere that Dabo is changing or even... ]

“Tony’s always been up and I’ve been down. We’ve kind of always done it together. We’ll put Street up and that’ll be the biggest difference. It’ll be Street and I,” Swinney said.

Do people really think he’s holding that playsheet for no reason?

Of course hes holding it for a reason

Sep 12, 2023, 12:23 PM

But we can only speculate as to why. If anyone tells you what Dabo IS doing on that headset, they are merely speculating. That is a fact.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Of course hes holding it for a reason

Sep 12, 2023, 12:30 PM

those NASCAR-like headsets for Clemson fans would be hot sellers

Sep 12, 2023, 2:14 PM

What is NASCAR? Isn't that what used to be Car Racin" ?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you ignore the quote above

Sep 12, 2023, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Of course hes holding it for a reason ]

Where Dabo clearly said he called plays with Elliott and Streeter?

I didnt miss that quote

Sep 12, 2023, 12:37 PM

just like I didn’t miss this one…

“It was Tony Elliott who changed the offense to help Cole speed up his decision making. It was also Elliott who called the plays.” -coolbreeze864

https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-forum/message/why-do-you-mention-scott-33039166

Nice flip flop.

By the way, serious question, did Chad Morris call the offense while he was here?

Try...again...

Sep 12, 2023, 1:28 PM

Your attempt to deflect has been rejected. Please address Dabo's quote and tell me again how he doesn't call plays. We're talking about Elliott, Streeter, and now the possibility that it has continued into Riley's time.

That is not deflection

Sep 12, 2023, 1:32 PM

That is you contradicting yourself on the topic at hand.

Regarding your question, what Dabo did with Elliott/Streeter is not evidence of what he is doing with Riley any more than what he did with Morris was evidence of what he’d do with Elliott/Streeter.

Re: That is not deflection

Sep 12, 2023, 1:33 PM

That's the answer I want. Do you think Dabo changed his ways with Riley?

Did Dabo call plays when Morris was here as OC?

Sep 12, 2023, 1:35 PM

null

Message was edited by: Francis Marion®

Good question

Sep 12, 2023, 2:19 PM

Morris relied on input from players and other coaches (like Brandon Ford suggesting the play that worked on 4th and 16 against LSU). Not sure if Dabo was as comfortable with playcalling at that time. Dabo spoke about his evolution as a play caller in an On3 article, so maybe it’s something that he grew into over the years.

https://www.on3.com/college/clemson-tigers/news/dabo-swinney-evaluates-his-evolution-as-a-play-caller/

I appreciate the response

Sep 12, 2023, 2:31 PM

And at this point it’s safe to say that there is no correlation between Dabo having a headset and/or play sheet, and him meddling in offensive play calling as this photo depicts him wearing a headset and holding a play sheet while not calling plays.

I clearly said Im not sure during Morris' time

Sep 12, 2023, 2:35 PM

But you're making leaps in logic that are not connected to the truth. If Dabo called plays during Elliott and Streeter's time, that establishes a pattern. What makes you believe he's changed for Riley?

You implied Dabo holding that play sheet is evidence...

Sep 12, 2023, 2:48 PM

He is involved in play calling. The leap in logic is yours, not mine.

By the way, the subject line of the article clearly says “Dabo Swinney explains hands-off play-calling philosophy …”

And for the record, I’m not saying Dabo isn’t calling plays, but I’m absolutely saying wearing a headset and holding a play sheet is not evidence he is. I know, because there have been games I’ve had both and wasn’t involved in play calling at all.

Message was edited by: Francis Marion®

Well, Cool is the same person that said a white man can't...

Sep 12, 2023, 2:58 PM

teach a black man to play quarterback.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The guy seems to be one of the most ignorant folks on the site.

Sep 13, 2023, 11:28 AM

So full of crap. He loves his entire “fandom” searching for things to b!tch and moan about. What a sad life dudes like this must live.

What if Dabo called the TD play to Beaux?***

Sep 12, 2023, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Re: That is not deflection ]

Lol, yup. Dabo has been calling all the plays that made him the

Sep 13, 2023, 11:32 AM

2nd leading head coach during his tenure, behind only Nick Saban. The only difference between these two coaches is Nick is obviously a hands-off coach. He never overrides play call on both sides of the ball. Maybe one day Dabo will stop trying to coach the whole game. He obviously loses a bunch of games, and he needs to back off!

{sarcasm}

There's no question that Dabo gives input on offense.

Sep 12, 2023, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Did you ignore the quote above ]

And there's also no question that Garrett Riley is calling the plays.

Sep 12, 2023, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Of course hes holding it for a reason ]

I understand Dabos dilemma. After dominating my grandsons flag football league for many years, my offense got a little stale.

I poached the OC off a rival team by promising her Olive Garden gift cards for every win. She jumped at the chance.

It was hard for me. I was used to carrying around my 11x17 laminated play sheet and calling plays. Because it was in 8 font, I could get 122 plays front and back.

We practiced all those plays during our daily 3 hour practices. The new OC came in with an index card with 8 plays.

I began to doubt my choice but soon we were back to dominating. Now I just stuff my large play sheet down in the front of my khaki pants to look important.

Sometimes I pull it out and cover my face to make it look like I’m discussing strategy when I’m really just asking my OC if she’s having the soup or salad.

Trust the process Dabo!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2023, 7:14 AM

Raider gets it! And always go with salad. Soup is a rookie mistake.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

I know for a fact that Dabos calling

Sep 12, 2023, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Of course hes holding it for a reason ]

out dance moves to Beaux Collins. Sort of the Arthur Murray school of Wide Receiver play.

Don’t you dare call BS on me…

What are you talking about? Tony Elliott called playa then Brandon did.

Sep 13, 2023, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Hes done it in the past, whos to say hes changed? ]

Coaches can override any and every play they want, but Dabo is giving free reign to his OCs. Of course he’s on the headset talking about the game and giving his staff leadership direction. That’s what coaches do. I guess you think Nick Saban and Kirby are saying nothing in their headsets??

What you said is patently false. You made it up based on similar ignorance posted on this site.

You’re one of those clowns who thinks his role is to make a negative light about anything Clemson. Your opinions are ALWAYS hot garbage. Contrived BS really.

Sep 12, 2023, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Well I read somewhere that Dabo is changing or even... ]

That doesn't sound good.Dabo needs to take the head set off
and just manage the side line...also make decision on going
for it on 4th down.

Many times the headset is the most important....

Sep 12, 2023, 11:46 AM

way to communicate with the head coach. When the bullets are flying, having 4 coaches and 11+ players standing around all providing info is more than can be processed. Having a few, predetermined, people communicating this information through the headset is critical to time management.

Maybe that's true...

Sep 12, 2023, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Well I read somewhere that Dabo is changing or even... ]

maybe it isn't. But the fact that a head coach is communicating on a headset is not evidence of either. It is evidence that the person making that connection has never worn a headset in a game.

I believe the source you "heard" this from was TNET

Sep 12, 2023, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Well I read somewhere that Dabo is changing or even... ]

seems that some folks think Dabo is calling plays... I have no clue, but somebody is getting paid to make these decisions and I hope they help the Tigers win the remainder of the games this year.

Go Tigers!!

Lol, where did you read that??

Sep 13, 2023, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Well I read somewhere that Dabo is changing or even... ]

This was discussed at length on the radio at least. It’s been doubly confirmed Garret Riley is calling the offense completely. Every head coach has the right to override a play, but this is not something Dabo is doing on a regular basis. Inside people have confirmed for the silly crowd - Garret Riley is the guys calling plays. As it should be.

I’m interested is reading what you did. Please share.

Re: If you have never been on a headset during a football game..

Sep 12, 2023, 11:35 AM

What music do they usually listen to?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2023, 6:26 PM

Elevator Muzak

Observation is the heart of the scientific method...***

Sep 12, 2023, 11:37 AM

TLDR

Sep 12, 2023, 11:41 AM

Sep 12, 2023, 11:57 AM

I understand completely. When I was coaching my grandson's flag football team a couple of years ago my wife kept texting me during the game. I assumed she wanted me to call the post corner play for our grandson so I ignored her. After the game she told she was just trying to tell me my fly was open.

Message was edited by: raider12®

Sep 12, 2023, 12:02 PM

Good observation on her part.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2023, 12:20 PM

It was a good observation. They were playing cover 1 and the their safety was busy looking for 4 leaf clovers and drinking his juice box. Man our QB had a field day.

like these?

Sep 12, 2023, 12:08 PM

Message was edited by: theclash®

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Dabos coaches look for all the options on the headset

Sep 12, 2023, 12:16 PM

Sometimes they pray for first downs and touchdowns in previous seasons.

We need to get back to the basics that have worked for our Tigers.

Believe, All In, best is the standard because nothing is better than the King of ALL In!

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: Dabos coaches look for all the options on the headset

Sep 12, 2023, 12:57 PM

FM Practicing calling plays for his QB. Note orange bowl and jacket being used as symbolic behavior for CFP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do you hate sideburns?

Sep 12, 2023, 12:22 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Because they are attached to your face.***

Sep 12, 2023, 12:25 PM

Bottom line: I was told that our offense would improve and

Sep 12, 2023, 12:31 PM

we have already punted 5 times this year. These are basically turnovers.

SIX teams average more yards per game than us, and we are being told that Best Is The Standard...

Dabo lied to us all summer

Sep 12, 2023, 12:38 PM

We deserve the truth now.

As a public university, the full audio from those headsets

Sep 12, 2023, 1:07 PM

should be public.

Do you FOIA?***

Sep 12, 2023, 1:15 PM

I no longer FOIA...

Sep 12, 2023, 1:48 PM

as it has gotten me in trouble with too many ex-girlfriends

How many teams average more points against FBS competition than us?***

Sep 13, 2023, 7:57 AM [ in reply to Bottom line: I was told that our offense would improve and ]

Exactly right, and players also give input when they come to the sideline.

Sep 12, 2023, 1:44 PM

I even remember Sammy Watkins telling Chad Morris to let him break off his route on the next play because of how tight the defender was playing him.

Btw, the result on that next play was a td catch made by Sammy against Osu.

this is why I wear a headset at work

Sep 12, 2023, 1:54 PM

although it does NOT allow others to communicate with me. It is more of a rose gold embossed status symbol that I connect to an amplifier twhich costs more than an average mortgage payment. It lets others who may wander into the office know immediately who is in charge.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The Office"

Sep 12, 2023, 4:08 PM

Sep 12, 2023, 1:55 PM

I don’t miss all the hours I had to put into coaching, when I coached. However, there’s not a drug that could get me as high as I was on Friday nights when I put on that headset and called the offensive plays in the late 90’s into the early 2000’s. Gave up coaching because I was spending more time with other people’s kids that I was with my own.

People only see the time you invest in games...

Sep 13, 2023, 10:17 AM

and sometimes practices. Most have no idea how many hours are invested outside of that. Actually doing it makes you appreciate how much work goes into a program, and how difficult it is to win. And when you have done it you see what many of your critics don't, just how uneducated they are about the sport.

Sep 13, 2023, 2:19 AM

there are typically several folks giving "input" on every play. That input is typically not opinion, but rather observation from the responsible coach including, but not limited to...

On offense:

- Down and distance
- Defensive line technique (What are they showing 0,1,2i,2,3,4i,etc...)
- Linebackers (what they are showing)
- DB Coverage (what they are showing)
- Defensive tendencies for given situation w/ corresponding offensive options to counter tendencies.
- Direct questions are answered by the appropriate coach.
- Play selection and call.

This all happens really quickly and typically in good order. The guys with headsets are not, in my experience, all discussing play calling and/or speaking over one another. Each has a predetermined responsibility and each provides that input as required/requested.

It's also pretty hectic on a sideline. You have players coming and going, coaches and players talking/yelling over one another, fans yelling, officials communicating with coaches, etc... and the headsets provide a calm/quiet environment where all of those distractions are muted and decisions can be made.

Hadn't considered all the info that is processed, and delivered in such a short amount of time.

Also, I don't frequent the boreds as often as in the past, this is one of the few football posts I've seen from you.

Nicely done

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

And with all of what you said being true.....that is why I

Sep 13, 2023, 7:04 AM

have in the past called for a "FAN"....just an every day "FAN" to be in the booth who would yell out," That was a BAD SPOT COACH', " HIS FOOT WAS OUT OF BOUNDS COACH", "The safety tweaked his ankle coach!!", you know...just little observations WE have that sometimes gets missed....and WE are like, "WHY DID WE NOT ASK FOR A REVIEW"...Know what I'm sayin'?

Re: And with all of what you said being true.....that is why I

Sep 13, 2023, 7:14 AM

No I don't. If you know or see enough to provide input, apply for a staff position. Just because you know how to eat the cake doesn't mean you get to help make the cake. Get out of the kitchen.

What I am saying is that a fan.....doesn't have to keep up

Sep 13, 2023, 8:58 AM

with all of the business stuff...WE are FREE to just watch....All of the coaches have jobs to do. Watch what my receivers do, watch what my guards do, my linebackers, my corners,etc. Fans get to watch for the trivial stuff....Like the ref stepped on the the 30, and then moved his foot BACK TO THE 29 and a half....Like, the receiver stepped out of bounds just before coming back in to make the TD catch....WE , the FANS, have NO responsibilities. Just watch. And sometimes we notice stuff that gets missed because the coaches are really glued in to what they have to do before the next play is run...The FAN, does not have that handicap....AND IF SAID FAN was put in the box...he/she would have to be quiet as a church mouse...UNTIL THAT ONE PLAY OCCURS THAT COULD BE A GAME CHANGER. We lost a game in Columbia because they gave Petty a first down on a 4th and 1 on the coots 30 yard line. He WAS CLEARLY SHORT. CLEARLY SHORT. ANd we didn't even ask for a review.

Or, as happened in a Colorado game, many years ago that eventually helped them to a co national championship with GT....a fan in the box that can COUNT. Colorado was given 5...yessir..FIVE downs on the goal line to score,which they did....

What I am saying is that a fan.....doesn't have to keep up

Sep 13, 2023, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Re: And with all of what you said being true.....that is why I ]

with all of the business stuff...WE are FREE to just watch....All of the coaches have jobs to do. Watch what my receivers do, watch what my guards do, my linebackers, my corners,etc. Fans get to watch for the trivial stuff....Like the ref stepped on the the 30, and then moved his foot BACK TO THE 29 and a half....Like, the receiver stepped out of bounds just before coming back in to make the TD catch....WE , the FANS, have NO responsibilities. Just watch. And sometimes we notice stuff that gets missed because the coaches are really glued in to what they have to do before the next play is run...The FAN, does not have that handicap....AND IF SAID FAN was put in the box...he/she would have to be quiet as a church mouse...UNTIL THAT ONE PLAY OCCURS THAT COULD BE A GAME CHANGER. We lost a game in Columbia because they gave Petty a first down on a 4th and 1 on the coots 30 yard line. He WAS CLEARLY SHORT. CLEARLY SHORT. ANd we didn't even ask for a review.

Or, as happened in a Colorado game, many years ago that eventually helped them to a co national championship with GT....a fan in the box that can COUNT. Colorado was given 5...yessir..FIVE downs on the goal line to score,which they did....

Re: What I am saying is that a fan.....doesn't have to keep up

Sep 13, 2023, 11:12 AM

If our head coach (Dabo) was not involved in play calling I would be concerned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sir are a true warrior and gd American hero! Thank you for serving...

Sep 14, 2023, 2:22 AM

your entire 18 month prison term without incident *.

(*) Prisoner was in protective custody for the entirety of his stay

Replies: 62
| visibility 3,901
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic