Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am an avid off shore fisherman…
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

I am an avid off shore fisherman…

Aug 30, 2022, 1:08 PM

Each year my father and I participate in one of the largest off shore fishing tournaments in the country. We always did pretty well, but it was more for the fun and excitement than anything. A few years back the boat captain we used retired and we went with a young guy who had just bought his first used boat. He didn’t have a lot of experience as a captain, but we were really impressed when we talked to him, so we took a chance. In a few years it was clear, this guy was good. So good, we started placing in the tournament. In fact, we won it all a couple times.

Fast forward to this summer…

Everything that could go wrong went wrong. First, he had a brand new boat, really nice, top of the line. He took it out twice in the spring and it ran flawlessly. No issues. 30 minutes after we get out there for the tournament, engine trouble. I suggested we just call it a day, get a tow, and head in, but they said they wanted to try and work on it, so we agreed. After an hour or two, the captain and first mate had it running, not great, but we were able to fish. Then a rod holder broke and took out 4 rods on its way to off the boat. We lost the holder, 4 of his best rods, lures, everything! The captain didn’t panic though, he got the backups out, got them set up, and we started fishing again. Then a storm hits. Other boats started heading in, and I asked if we should do the same, but he said let’s see if we can’t ride it out. Looks like it might be breaking up on radar. We stayed, and sure enough, it broke up. At any rate, it was just one thing after another. But through it all, the captain remained upbeat, and found reasons to stay positive and keep trying, and when it was all said and done, we still finished 14th out of 130 boats.

At dinner later that night, a few friends were questioning our experience, and asked if I was going to switch boats/captains after the let down this year. Some even suggested that if I stuck with the captain, maybe I should encourage him to find a new first mate. I told them no, I wasn’t going to do any of that. In fact, and much to their surprise, I told them I actually tipped the captain and first mate extra this year. I felt they did an unbelievable job despite extraordinary circumstances. I was ready to give up, as other boats had, but they never did. That’s exactly why he's the the captain and they’re the crew I want every year.

I can’t wait for next summer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: I am an avid off shore fisherman…

Aug 30, 2022, 1:16 PM

Interesting post ... less satiric than Voltaire, analogous with depth, and some could claim almost inspirational. +1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2022, 1:48 PM

Please don't encourage her. You never know what you're going to get.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was it the General Cup Tourney ? Chicken feathers make gret

Aug 30, 2022, 2:05 PM

fish jigs !!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Aug 30, 2022, 6:41 PM [ in reply to Re: I am an avid off shore fisherman… ]

SocMan2® said:

Interesting post ... less satiric than Voltaire, analogous with depth, and some could claim almost inspirational. +1

You have to be desperate for entertainment to enjoy anything he or Balm posts on here.

Aug 30, 2022, 1:23 PM

Great parabola!

The morale of the story is fire Brownell!, right?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. 14th place is definitely a reference to Brownell***

Aug 30, 2022, 1:28 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do decleah, you spin more yarn than an old man with a

Aug 30, 2022, 1:25 PM

sheep fetish and a foot treadle. Now I know why you said Patches was missing part of his coat, you probably knitted you a possum fur scarf off him!

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2022, 1:27 PM

What kind of fish were you after? What kind of bait were you using? Did you see any sharks?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I bet he was fishing for mermaids...

Aug 30, 2022, 1:36 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I try to save a life a day, usually it is my own.

Re: I bet he was fishing for mermaids...

Aug 30, 2022, 2:16 PM

Can't see it in this photo, but she has a turrible scar from a harpoon encounter. Brave woman, right there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

lol, I remember that trip

Aug 30, 2022, 1:33 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope that person is ok.***

Aug 30, 2022, 5:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I get the feeling this was some sort of ana1-

Aug 30, 2022, 1:34 PM

ogy

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Can this be considered...

Aug 30, 2022, 1:34 PM

WRONG BOARD MORAN!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2022, 1:46 PM

which tournament the White marlin one ?

Gov cup ??

null

Aug 30, 2022, 2:46 PM

FM and Balm on the same fishing trip ? They would end up smoking Cuban cigars while trying to find directions to Murrell's Inlet.

Aug 30, 2022, 2:51 PM

the kinda Chite show where Cigar Minnows take on a Hole new meaning of "Bait"

and er Master Baiter .....

null

Sounds like you love being on the water more than fishing

Aug 30, 2022, 2:20 PM

Sounds like you got lucky
Sounds like having spare tools is always a good thing - just in case. (hope my wife reads this line)
Sounds like "just in case" came in handy.
Sounds like ...

....Sounds like a fishing story to me .... and how BIG was the fish?

Message was edited by: HuntClub®

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

TL; DR

Aug 30, 2022, 2:27 PM

But, this GIF seems appropriate ...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Is there Video footage of the Master Baiter on yer

Aug 30, 2022, 2:52 PM

"Fans OnlY" page ???

null

i’m certain you “caught” something.

Aug 30, 2022, 4:47 PM

looks like you were chumming - a lot.
psa: not good for your rod. be safe out there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Aug 30, 2022, 8:33 PM

Good story! How upset do you think you might be next summer though if the captain brags about how great that engine is after it was worked on all winter, but it breaks down 1 hour into the tournament and you find out that all he did was place a slightly slimmer cover on it? Hopefully he has a spare engine ready to go!

Aug 30, 2022, 9:26 PM

Congratulations…

Aug 30, 2022, 9:34 PM

on 4000.

Congrats on 103,487!

Aug 30, 2022, 9:36 PM

Nm

Tl;Dr

Aug 30, 2022, 9:36 PM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Aug 30, 2022, 9:52 PM

Great story. Sometimes no matter how you prepare things will go wrong. He took a bad situation and made the most of it.

Aug 30, 2022, 10:14 PM

R U sayin’ we should have tipped El Capiton with a bigger tip after last years successful 10am 3 season in spite of the storm????
Keep tellin’ them stories and Leavin’ us to wonder what’s true and what’s not.

Never Give Up The Ship

Aug 31, 2022, 10:01 AM

Real fisherman never give up. My son is going to college but has been a mate on multiple charter boats out of Virginia Beach, VA since he was 14 years old (he's now 22). Learned the trade at a very young age. He's been working on the Smoke Show this past summer and even participated in the Big Rock Fishing Tournament down in Morehead City, NC. They almost won the Junior Angler Mahi category. Anyhow, he's had many experiences but the latest was the best. About a month ago they had a charter and went offshore looking for tuna and maybe deep dropping for sea bass and tilefish. Around noon they began to have engine trouble on the port engine. It basically shut down suddenly. Could not get it to restart so they decided to head back in unfortunately the starboard engine was not working correctly neither and they could not get it to go more than a couple knots and not fast enough for rudder authority so they were stuck going in a circle. So what do you do when you are 70 miles offshore in this situation?? You call Sea Tow. They were southeast of Virginia Beach offshore Hatteras, NC so Virginia Beach Sea Tow would not come down that way. They had to get Sea Tow from North Carolina to tow them up towards Virginia Beach and then once the Virginia Beach Sea Tow was done towing someone else in they would come get the Smoke Show. So by the time all this happened it was midnight before they got back to the dock. Yes, 12 hours after the engine problems started. Now keep in mind, this kind of fishing starts at 4 a.m. in the morning so it turned out to be a 20 hour day. The next day a dock mate is walking past the boat and says to my son "What is that sticking out behind your boat?" Well, it was apiece of thick fishing net!! It had gotten fowled in the props and caused to port engine to shut down and prevented the starboard engine from working properly. They cleared the net from the props and the boat ran fine. Never know what might happen when you go fishing.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic