Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pulling for the chickens and moral relativism (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Pulling for the chickens and moral relativism (long)

Jun 23, 2010, 8:33 PM

This is long. If you do not read it, I understand. But if it reaches just one person, it will be worth it.

I have seen several posts and discussions lately that remind me of a pervasive problem in society today: moral relativism.

I define moral relativism as the belief in a moral code that is not absolute, but rather a moral code that is relative to time, location, emotion, or even logic.

This brings us to the question of pulling for the Gamecocks – against OU in baseball, maybe against UNC in basketball, maybe against UGA in football. We must ask ourselves, “Is it right to pull for the Lamecocks”? The answer to that questions lies in your understanding of the moral code: is it relative or absolute? I submit that it is absolute.

Assuming it is relative for a moment, I would ask, when is it right to pull for them and when is it not right? It may seem ok to pull for them in the name of state pride. But what if one moves from SC or never lived there for that matter, should he or she pull for the Lamecocks? What if a Shamecock win would result in Clemson moving up in the polls? Should we pull for them then? Maybe that same win would sway a recruit to them. Is moving up in the polls ever really that important? The only occasion that I can recall when one win by another team made a significant difference in Clemson's fortunes occurred in 1981. That is one time in over 100 years of football. Is that probability really worth staining your soul? If you pull for them and they loose, what then? Are you happy or sad? If you pull for them, and they win, would you want to find yourself celebrating a Chicken win? What if someone gives you a “**** lover” shirt? Do you wear it? I believe that there is no good reason to pull for them.

I must warn you, my Clemson family, not to follow my path. If you dance with the Devil, you will be sorry. Learn from my story.

I was born with orange blood. My dad went to Clemson; I have been going to home games with season tickets since I was born; I have two degrees from Clemson; I have season tickets for my family and I am raising my 9 and 7 year olds to go there. Do not doubt my family ties.

I used to think that it was ok to pull for the Chickens in the name of state pride. So I pulled for them against the “big boys” like Notre Dame etc. This continued until the 1987 football game. I was a student and the game was in Columbia. I watched from Clemson. I don't remember the details of the game, only that we lost. I do, however, distinctly remember the cheap, tawdry feeling I had knowing that at one time I had actually hoped the Chickens would win a game or two. I faced the abyss that night. My foundation was gone. Everything I thought I knew was turned on its side. I regret to say that I turned to the balm of alcohol that night.

I awoke, however, a new man. I saw the light and realized that it may seem like a good idea to pull against them at times, but ultimately, it compromises your life, love and joy. You must resist that temptation.

I live the code: Always pull for Clemson and always pull against the Chickens. I never have to ask unanswerable questions about when it is ok to pull for them and when it is not. Now that I know the truth of moral absolutes, life is good. I can live clean through all sports seasons. I am glad when the Chickens loose and disappointed when they win – as it should be.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pulling for the chickens and moral relativism (long)

Jun 23, 2010, 8:43 PM

You are wise and correct my friend. Just 2 things: it is lose, not loose. And the 87 loss was due to their entire team being on steroids. (See Sports Illustrated's "The Agony of Steroids" by Tommy Chaikin.)
Never give in to moral relativism.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Amen and amen

Jun 23, 2010, 8:45 PM

As I have always said, if USuC was playing Russia, I'm pulling for Russia. No moral relativism issues here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Loose? That doesn't speak well for your CU degree.

Jun 23, 2010, 8:48 PM

While I appreciate your thesis and heart felt reprisal and even forgive your very common mis-spelling of "lose" as "loose", your trying to take the "moral high ground" and trying to disguise it as some sort of intellectual "moral relativism" is quite disingenuous.

However, I in-courage you to keep on trying. :)

I know.

Peace.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Win, lose or draw . . . I'm a Tiger fan forevermore!

Hurricane Duane

Re: Loose? That doesn't speak well for your CU degree.

Jun 23, 2010, 9:08 PM

typo. i am a thinker, not a typist!

Jun 23, 2010, 9:11 PM

upon review, i found many typos. i guess i prefer the spoken word.

Jun 23, 2010, 9:13 PM

No problem. Your typed words spoke volumes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 23, 2010, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Loose? That doesn't speak well for your CU degree. ]

Duane, it's you're, not your. And I'm sure his posting was quite tongue in cheek.

null

pwned***

Jun 23, 2010, 11:18 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sighhh.***

Jun 24, 2010, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Loose? That doesn't speak well for your CU degree. ]

null

Re: sad isn't it? And they don't even know they're wrong.

Jun 24, 2010, 4:04 PM

Reading is fundamental.

Wrong

Jun 24, 2010, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Loose? That doesn't speak well for your CU degree. ]

Read it again.

Fail.. ***

Jun 24, 2010, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Loose? That doesn't speak well for your CU degree. ]

"in-courage", "your"??... Are you serious Duane?***

Jun 24, 2010, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Loose? That doesn't speak well for your CU degree. ]

Well said! Satan seeks those whom he may devour...

Jun 23, 2010, 8:49 PM

...and Clemson fans who pull for the Chickens might as well planning on holding the soap in Satan's shower.

Pulling for the Chickens as a Tiger is a moral revulsion on par with the Children of Israel building a golden calf in the desert. It's an indication of wayward faith and one that cannot be allowed to permeate the Tiger faithful.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well said! Satan seeks those whom he may devour...

Jun 23, 2010, 8:54 PM

Are you effing serious? Please say you're not. Religion (organized) is the very thing that Christ warned us about. RevDodd, you must be being sarcastic? Surely you know what I mean?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Win, lose or draw . . . I'm a Tiger fan forevermore!

Hurricane Duane

Well, let's see....

Satan wants only bad for us, agreed?

And one of the weapons he uses to divide us and mislead us is lies, agreed?

And what will make us happy is Clemson winning, agreed?

And what makes us unhappy is UCS winning, agreed?

And success for UCS stand in diametric opposition to success for Clemson, agreed?

Therefore, it logically follows that those who would promulgate support for South Carolina must therefor be in opposition to support for Clemson. Thay must therefore be either misled or worse, actively trying to mislead the Clemson faithful.

The inevitable conclusion is that support of UCS by Clemson fans is the work of none other than Satan.

Resist the devil and he will flee back to the Congaree.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, let's see....

Jun 23, 2010, 9:16 PM

Testify!

Re: Well said! Satan seeks those whom he may devour...

Jun 23, 2010, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Well said! Satan seeks those whom he may devour... ]

I thought we were supposed to be having fun here!

The 13th Tribe............

Jun 23, 2010, 8:58 PM [ in reply to Well said! Satan seeks those whom he may devour... ]

The Tribe of Tillman........children of God and Tigers of the Blue Ridge

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2010, 8:51 PM

Unfortunately some of us have to walk longer paths to understand that Usuc is evil and as a Tiger you can never ever under no circumstance wish for anything other than total defeat at all times and in all ways of the coots.

Jun 23, 2010, 8:54 PM

Spoken like a True Kantian

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2010, 9:18 PM

Was Kant a Clemson fan? I'll bet he was.

Jun 24, 2010, 12:58 PM

Kant was most certainly a Clemson fan and from what I can tell Hume was Gamecock.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only chicken I ever favor is crispy fried chicken.***

Jun 23, 2010, 9:03 PM

Preferably extra-crispy with Cajun spices.

Jun 24, 2010, 1:44 PM

:)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

There are only two teams that I will always cheer for

Clemson, and whoever the shamecocks are playing

I don't always talk shit on the internet, but when I do I prefer TNet. Stay thirsty my friends

Jun 23, 2010, 9:28 PM

My theory on pulling for for chickens and relativism is I don't pull for 'em no time, no way, now how, whether I'm kin to 'em or not!!!!!!!!!!!! If I was kin to one I wouldn't admit.

Jun 23, 2010, 11:14 PM

If I went there I wouldn't admit it.

null

Jun 24, 2010, 1:30 PM

1st reason to pull for the coots: Easier team to beat.
2cnd reason:It'd be awesome to send them home.

Jun 24, 2010, 2:43 PM

Willie Underwood.
Jim Stuckey
Steve Fuller
Perry Tuttle
Jeff Davis
The Bostics
The Mac Attack
The Perry bro's
Danny Ford
Dale Hatcher
Terry Kinard
Etc
Etc

Did you watch them die on that field ?

Did you watch Steve Tanneyhill tear up OUR tiger paw at midfield ??

Pull for the chickens ??????

Are you kidding me.

Clemson Tigers don't give a #&&*! if USCjr ever wins a good game of checkers.

Ever.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic