Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Seriously, folks, it's time to change the names.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 6,120

Seriously, folks, it's time to change the names.

Jan 16, 2015, 4:09 PM

Maybe our Gamecock friends are on to something criticizing us about Tillman Hall. Maybe we need to look at the buildings named after some other prominent racists in our state's history:

John Drayton
Connection to USC: Served as SC governor and pushed the initiative that founded the Univ. of South Carolina.
Known for: Drayton Hall, his plantation that still stands in Charleston today.
The dirt: Drayton had 45 slaves working on the property each year, according to the plantation’s historical records. During his gubernatorial tenure, Drayton helped push legislation that blocked emancipation of slaves.
What’s in the name?: The university’s auditorium in the Wardlaw College is named after John Drayton.

John Rutledge
Connection to USC: One of the university’s intellectual founders.
Known for: Served as an SC governor and Supreme Court chief justice
The dirt: Rutledge owned several slaves and twice defended individuals who abused slaves. He convinced the Constitutional Convention not to abolish slavery.
What’s in the name?: Rutledge College on campus is named after him.

Charles Cotesworth Pinckney
Known for: Famous Charlestonian and Revolutionary War general
The dirt: Pinckney owned 250 slaves and argued its necessity for SC’s economy. Although he eventually agreed to abolish the slave trade, he fought strongly against abolishing slavery. Once gave his daughter a nice wedding present of 50 slaves. Bet you can’t get that on the registry at Target today.
What’s in the name?: Pinckney College on campus is named after him.

Charles Pinckney
Known for: Cousin of the clown listed above; signer of the Constitution, fought as a lieutenant in the Revolution, and served as SC governor.
The dirt: Owned 200 to 300 slaves and argued that slavery provided security for blacks. He also believed crawling in the sack with his slaves provided them security as well and he fathered multiple children with his property. Pushed the Fugitive Slave Clause in the Constitution.
What’s in the name?: The same connection as above.

Henry William DeSaussure
Known for: Framer of SC Constitution and mayor of Charleston and Columbia
The dirt
: Owned plenty of slaves but apparently didn’t like the institution. But he felt it was necessary for the economy. How regal of him.
What’s in the name?: DeSaussure College on campus is named after him.

Thomas Cooper

Connection to USC: Served as president and professor at the school
Known for: Renowned economist and friends with Thomas Jefferson and James Madison
The dirt: Cooper wasn’t a slave owner, but he supported slavery in the U.S. Of course, he argued the economic benefits of the practice.
What’s in the name?: The library is named after him.

John and Joseph LeConte
Connection to USC: Professors at South Carolina before and during the Civil War.
Known for: Pretty much being professors
The dirt: Slave owners. Argued that abolition would lead to slave revolts and the eroding of racial classes. Couldn’t stand the post-bellum South and their lack of slaves, so they bolted for California. They were paternalists, which means they believed suppressing the rights of others (slaves) was justified because you were doing them a favor. Seriously. It was a thing.
What’s in the name?: LeConte College on campus is named after him.

Stephen Elliott

Known for: Renowned American botanist
The dirt: Slave owner.
What’s in the name?: Elliott College on campus is named after him. Check it out: slaves built the building and slave quarters were located there.

Francis Lieber

Connection to USC: Professor from 1835 to 1856
Known for: Famous German author who took up residence in America
The dirt: A staunch anti-slavery scholar and abolitionist. Oh. So why is he listed here? Because he was the obvious choice to become South Carolina’s next president in 1856, but the mob of racist professors and students ran him out of town. So there’s that.
What’s in the name?: Lieber College is named after him and was surprisingly not burned down by his colleagues.

James Henley Thornwell
Connection to USC: Former president, served a few years before the Civil War
Known for: For the above
The dirt: Actually started out young as an abolitionist until Thomas Cooper converted him. Nice! After that, he became a raging pro-slavery proponent. He wrote several pamphlets and articles defending it.
What’s in the name?: Thornwell College is named after him.

There are more. These are just some of the big ones.

I’m not throwing my hat into the Tillman Hall discussion; I understand the arguments on both sides. This post is for our little hypocritical feathered friends in Columbia. You want to poke fun and push for name changing at Clemson? Okay. Game on. Let’s start looking at your school’s history.

Oh, and my primary source for this info? The University of South Carolina:

http://library.sc.edu/digital/slaveryscc/index.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: I C WUT U did thar!***

Jan 16, 2015, 4:14 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I appreciate you posting this education. I was amazed at

Jan 16, 2015, 4:41 PM

the ignorance of the SCU fans jumping on the Tillman issue. I know that there are enough embarrassing skeletons in that institution,s forefathers' past to fill Willy Brice to the brim. You only posted some of their records of it. I would love to see what an unbiased jornalist could uncover. I have heard some stories. Believe me, the dirtpeckekers do not want to journey down this road.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they should name a building after the 1st black QB Slurrier recruits.***

Jan 16, 2015, 5:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: they should name a building after the 1st black QB Slurrier recruits.***

Jan 16, 2015, 5:14 PM

haha...I think we will be long dead before that happens..

Syvell Newton would have to be the temporary fix

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Lorenzo Nunez ? do your homework, course he may flip too.***

Jan 16, 2015, 5:54 PM [ in reply to they should name a building after the 1st black QB Slurrier recruits.*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seriously, folks, it's time to change the names.

Jan 16, 2015, 4:51 PM

Marion Sims tortured and killed many black women in the name of science.

null

Jan 16, 2015, 5:29 PM

You, Sir, will get an A+ on your term paper and thank you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We could call them Confederate Coots

Jan 16, 2015, 5:28 PM

They have a Confederate flag flying within sight of their campus.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thomas Sumter, the Carolina Gamecock, used slaves as currency

Jan 16, 2015, 5:34 PM

https://jubiloemancipationcentury.wordpress.com/tag/thomas-sumter/

what a great tradition to celebrate with your athletic teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Muy bueno, Cata!!! Bookmark this post and feel free

Jan 16, 2015, 6:23 PM

to repost it anytime......hopefully, someone will get this over to fgf so they can read a little about the history of higher ed in SC since they seem so interested in it

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Judging history by today's standards is a fool's errand.***

Jan 16, 2015, 6:58 PM

Jan 17, 2015, 11:40 AM

I've never taken so much pleasure in giving a post a TU as much as I have this one, great post. I've always believed that before you start measuring how much dirt that is under your neighbors Rug, check and see what's been swept under your own. It could be that your pile is a much bigger pile!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

I'm fine with changing those names

Jan 17, 2015, 11:54 AM

I'm not sure I see your point?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Great Great Post!!!!

Jan 17, 2015, 12:53 PM

It looks as though Jesse Jackson has a lot of work to do. ;)

Also, let's not forget their fans are known for shouting...

Jan 17, 2015, 3:15 PM

racial slurs, at opposing players. The coot fans landed themselves on the national news for yelling racial slurs at an Asian player on the Arizona baseball team at the CWS. There student section at their men's basketball games have a long history of yelling the n-word at opposing black players. I've witnessed this at least 10 times on tv, hearing their racial slurs.

Replies: 15
| visibility 6,120
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic