Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looking Forward... Cooler Heads Must Prevail
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Looking Forward... Cooler Heads Must Prevail

Nov 29, 2010, 3:34 PM

After many years of regular posting, I quietly quit several years ago and became an ever more infrequent lurker. I have recently been back on and am pretty appalled at much of what I have been reading...

Here is the story from where I sit...
1) We have an underachieving football team.
2) Due to great recruiting, we have the talent, so why aren't we winning?
3) Our coach couldn't coach a peewee team and he needs quit or get rid of his staff, espicially the offensive staff because we can't score on anyone.
4) Our A/D has made bad hires and is running the program into the ground.
5) Our administration is a bunch of idiots with no idea what is going on.
6) The fan base is getting restless and is tired of mediocre football.

For the record... the above summary is referring to the 2009 South Carolina Gamecocks. The same Gamecocks who stayed the course with a young football team and a good coach and just whipped our a$$ in our own backyard. Now, they are SEC Easy Champs.

No one hates how this season has gone as much as I do, but one year ago, this same coaching staff was dropping about 40 points a game on all comers and had us one minute away from winning a conference championship.

This AD we all want to crucify has resurrected both the football and basketball programs from the dead and made them winners again.

This administration we want ousted has invested record amounts of money in facilities while raising the profile of a Clemson degree to unprecedented heights.

IMHO... if we are truly CLEMSON fans, we follow South Carolina's lead (Lord... never thought I would type THAT!) and stay the course. This is a very talented and physical football team that will be returning 17 - 18 starters. The last thing we want is for a new HC or OC to come in and have these kids learning a whole new system and terminology. They did that THIS year! We need them all to come back in '11 with the system nailed down and ready to advance. We have the talent to be really good and our schedule is favorable next year.

Fact is... 6-6 sucks no matter how you slice it, but with the exception of the Carolina game, we were in every single game. With all of these kids coming back, we have every right to expect alot out of this team next year. If we don't see dramatic improvement, THEN and only then will it be time to make a change. Any coaching staff worth their salt should be able to take 17 or 18 returning starters of the caliber we have and a crackerjack recruiting class and win 9+ games.

Keep Dabo... Keep Napier... Move on.

That's my two cents...

Tide

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am a bitter and angry man.

Is the SEC Easy Champs a typo?

Nov 29, 2010, 3:37 PM

because that there is funny.

Did the Gamecocks win their division last year? If they get worse next year than this, then maybe we have a comparison.

And I am no program/coach/player bashing poster.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SEC Easy... USC would have finished fifth in the West***

Nov 29, 2010, 3:42 PM

exactly...***

Nov 29, 2010, 3:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just for clarification purposes, USC . . .

Nov 29, 2010, 3:49 PM

has a shot to be 2-2 against 3 of the 4 best in the SEC West this year, may not happen, but it has not yet not happened either, and, a shot to beat the #1 team in the nation from the SEC West for the second time this year; South Carolina was not within its control to pick the teams it played this year from the SEC West, although we drew 3 of the top 4, lucky for us, with all the teams, except for Auburn, having dropped 2 games or more against the SEC West as well; not saying that South Carolina is a top 10 team, especially after the poor offensive showing last Saturday night, but if South Carolina were to manage a 2-2 record v. the SEC West this year, gaining a Sugar Bowl BCS bid to boot, I'll take it and it will not matter what anyone else thinks of it - g&b

You also have a shot at being 1-3 against the SEC West

Nov 29, 2010, 4:01 PM

The smart money goes with that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I anticipated that being your perception, . . .

Nov 29, 2010, 4:55 PM

I didn't get out of the stadium on Saturday night before I heard the first "War Eagle", and I told the guy I understood, "when all else fails, . . . ." - g&b

Here's a news flash for you.

Nov 29, 2010, 7:46 PM

I predicted y'all would win 43-13 and I wasn't far off in the point spread. The last thing I would say is go war eagle after a loss to the Coots.

That said, you are on our site so expect the crap you get here. Expect it to sometimes be truthful, brutal, and ridiculous. Personally going onto another school's website makes me think you, Toogie, class09 and others have some real psychological and mental issues. Why you want to find companinonship with your rivals or validation makes no sense. I've never been to any of the Coot, Steelers or Browns sites and see no reason to do it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are 100% right.

Nov 29, 2010, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Just for clarification purposes, USC . . . ]

Many of the teams in your division were down this year, but you still won it. You still beat the #1 team in the land. You still went to the swamp and beat Florida. You still whipped your in-state rival, so you have every right to be proud...these kind of events do not come often in Columbia (that was my one jab). Go win a championship this weekend against the best paid team in the land, and I hope to goodness we can right our ship and get back on the winning side of the rivalry next year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Comments are . . .

Nov 29, 2010, 5:03 PM

appreciated and respected, without question - g&b

And for clarification purposes on my part...

Nov 29, 2010, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Just for clarification purposes, USC . . . ]

Just as we did last year, you guys won a weak division. Were we happy and proud for it? Most were (I think). Should you guys be proud of your accomplishment? Absolutely.

I completely agree with you: all you can do is play who is on your schedule.

Now, g&b, you possibly can disregard what I post about South Carolina. I am not going to stop bashing the coots, especially for the good number of trolls in here, just because you boys do something good.

If you guys beat Auburn next week. I'll take it all back.

Why is it so many coots on here want to insist on us telling them how good they are?

I formulated this in response to sandlapper's link. Some I believe, some embellished for showmanship:

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Internet/toughest%20schedule/fbs_9games_cumm.pdf

Southern Miss 8-4 (Conference USA juggernaut)
Georgia 6-6 (team that can't tackle, lost 17-6 to SCar. Lost to Colorado. Worst Georgia team in recent memory.)
Furman 5-6 (FCS team in which SCar starters played the whole game. Furman was driving getting ready to make the score 31-26 late in the game when starter, Stephon Gilmore intercepts a pass and takes it all the way back to make it the score look worse than it was, 38-19 with 6:38 left in the 4th quarter)
Auburn 12-0 (Scar lost by 8 in regulation. Not as close as the Clemson-Auburn game.)
Alabama 9-3 (Bama came into Willy Brice on a 19 game win streak. They were overconfident and got surprised early. As with most SEC teams, Bama viewed the Gamecocks as a joke. Quality win by the Gamecocks. Gamecocks could never beat them again.)
Kentucky 6-6 (beat Scar. Lost to a dismal Georgia team, terrible Ole Miss team, and awful Tennessee team).
Vanderbilt 2-10 (horrible team that got blown out by ACC Atlantic bottom dweller. Lost to SC 21-7, but were tied 7-7 41 minutes into the ball game.
Tennessee 6-6 (a team that wasn't predicted to be bowl eligible preseason. Beat UAB 32-29 hard fought overtime game. Worst Tennessee team in years.)
Arkansas 10-2 (totally dominated the Gamecocks in their house 41-20. Gave up a trash TD to the Gamecocks at the end of the game and were on the sideline laughing about it.)
Florida 7-5 (worst Gator team since Ron Zook was at the helm. Got totally dominated by FSU.)
Troy 6-5 (sunbelt juggernaut)
Clemson 6-6 (middle of the pack ACC team. Had difficulty scoring TDs most of the season. SCar wins 29-7 although Clemson gave them a pick 6 and the ball on the Tiger 5 yard line after a botched punt snap. Gamecock proclaimed Heisman hopeful, Lattimore could only manage 48 yards on 23 carries while "decoying" so QB Stephen "Achilles" Garcia could complet under 50% of his passes.)

I have absolutely no problems . . .

Nov 29, 2010, 5:01 PM

with your posts, you are completely free to post as you wish, with regards to your posts on my end, I have respect for them regardless of whether or not I agree and do not recall that you have ever disrespected my right to do the same; also, not looking for any "praise" for my team on this board, I am well aware of where I am, but, there is a difference between "no praise" and outright "personal hatred", understanding that South Carolina allowed it to get to that point, they did not do their part to keep the level of hatred down, you have to win to do that and until last year, South Carolina had not done so enough to make a difference; in that regard, your points are taken and noted - g&b

Well, g&b...

Nov 29, 2010, 7:24 PM

whether you care or not, I think you know I like you. You talk you share of smack, but you are as nice and fair-minded as they come. You are here whether you team wins or loses to give or take what's coming.

Wow, that reads just like a post from Gamecock Central...

Nov 29, 2010, 5:17 PM [ in reply to And for clarification purposes on my part... ]

circa 2008. The worm really has turned.

Re: Just for clarification purposes, USC . . .

Nov 30, 2010, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Just for clarification purposes, USC . . . ]

Let's also remember that 4- weeks ago Gamecock nation wanted Spurrier fired !!Now they want to give him a HOUSE . Dabo will be fine - Go Tigers

Oh dear, tidey watch out.

Nov 29, 2010, 3:37 PM

You will admit, I hope, that there is still a steep learning curve for our staff.

step away from the steep cliff!!***

Nov 29, 2010, 3:40 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

OKAY!!!***

Nov 29, 2010, 3:47 PM

oh please, scu didn't have predictable play calling last...

Nov 29, 2010, 3:39 PM

year, their oline was terrible while our oline was great this year. Last year SCU had no running backs to go along with their bad oline, this year we had ellington and harper and a good oline yet we refused run the ball and passed 35-40 times a game.

also they have a coach who has won a national title and

Nov 29, 2010, 3:41 PM

a bunch of conference titles and has been a coach ever since his pro football career ended, unlike dabo who only had 4 or 5 years experience as an assistant

Even ESPN did a story last year wondering if Spurrier

Nov 29, 2010, 3:43 PM

was washed up.

Re: Looking Forward... Cooler Heads Must Prevail

Nov 29, 2010, 3:42 PM

Disagree. In no way, shape or form are we going to regress if we hire a proven, solid OC. I just don't see it. The play-calling was way too predictable down the stretch this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 29, 2010, 3:44 PM

You're right. Where would VA Tech be if they had fired Beamer after his first few years? And Danny was 6-5 in his second full season - much younger than Dabo - and people were calling for him to be fired and that he was too young and inexperienced.

We are going to have a great year next year. I believe!

Go Tigers!

Nov 29, 2010, 3:45 PM

I like most of what you said, but I dont quite understand what our offensive system is.
If someone asked me, what kind of offense does Clemson run? I would have no idea what to tell them. A Spread/Power Run Hybrid? If we find some offensive identity, I am fine for next year, but we have to find some consistency on offense.

Losing 2 in a row to SC is unacceptable. Period.***

Nov 29, 2010, 3:48 PM

nm

There are no cool heads on Tigernet. Just internet geniuses

Nov 29, 2010, 3:53 PM

who could have won 10 national titles by now if they were coach.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: There are no cool heads on Tigernet. Just internet geniuses

Nov 29, 2010, 5:30 PM

AMEN TO THAT.

Nov 29, 2010, 3:53 PM

The Gamecocks also have a PROVEN head coach, one who has coached circles around our guy two years in a row.
If you swap the coaching staffs Saturday night, we win by 50.

Nov 29, 2010, 3:54 PM

Tiger Tide, I couldn't have said it any better.

Nov 29, 2010, 3:54 PM

How has the AD resurrected the football program? And have you noticed how most of his hires have been disasters?
Our soccer teams are worse than they've ever been.

Nov 29, 2010, 4:29 PM

The basketball program hasn't gotten out of the first round of the tournament. Granted we've made it, but
we've been in no real danger of winning the ACC much less a national championship. We also still haven't found a way to make free throws...

The football program has been on cruise control for the last 20 years. (despite the talent that we somehow are able to recruit) Our issues here have been coaching related if you ask me.

The soccer program used to be an elite program and is not now.

Baseball and Golf have been championship contenders recently, but that's it.

Although I agree that cooler heads must prevail, there are obviously issues that have needed to be addressed that have not been for some time. You can only bury your head in the sand for so long... Eventually, you have to recognize problems and solve them.

Nov 29, 2010, 3:55 PM

imgTag

Nov 29, 2010, 4:12 PM

So now we're comparing Clemson to South Carolina...

For the record...

Spurrier:
1 national title
Slew of SEC titles.
Produced a Heisman winner.
Is a Heisman winner.
Former NFL head coach.
3-3 versus Clemson.

Swinney:
Failure of a WR coach
Zero coordinator experience.
Won ACC Atlantic.
1-2 versus SC

Hmmmm.....

We installed a new system this year?????

Nov 29, 2010, 4:17 PM

You're going to have to elaborate on this.

great post, but you can not expect cooler heads on

Nov 29, 2010, 4:20 PM

this board. so many are irrational, emotionally responsive whiners. they rant about little except their team losing. if they win, they surely do not give credit, just mainly stay silent.

Re: great post, but you can not expect cooler heads on

Nov 29, 2010, 4:26 PM

On the other hand, so many others are excusionists and apologists who are deathly afraid of any change whatsoever, including much needed change, due to a perceived destruction of recruiting and overall image. If they lose, they surely don't criticize the coaches (only the players) or they just never show up to the boards to begin with.

Oh come on Bizzaro, your name tells the tale....

Nov 29, 2010, 4:29 PM

you're the anti-Christ, I mean anti-tiger.

Dabo /= Spurrier

Nov 29, 2010, 4:22 PM

Of course you stick with Spurrier, he's a proven guy. Dabo not only has never been a head coach before, he's never even been an OC. If Dabo had that kind of cred you could bet your bottom dollar I would be preaching patience because there's data to suggest he knows what he's doing. The only thing anyone supporting Dabo has is blind faith.

Never should have hired Dabo, and once you DID you never should have let him hire Napier. Period.

Re: Dabo /= Spurrier

Nov 29, 2010, 4:34 PM

agreed.

Although I like Dabo, he had no business getting the job at Clemson...

Just post some more pics of your wife so we can all move on

Nov 29, 2010, 4:26 PM

;)

The post that will live in infamy!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Re: Uhh...Excuse me, but weren't we clocked by SCU last

Nov 29, 2010, 4:28 PM

year??? After back to back blowouts to SCU, it is time for drastic change. If that doesn't prove it to any doubters, just wait because next year will be 3 straight blowout losses to SCU.

Nov 30, 2010, 4:10 PM

Very well said ! We HAVE to let our Coach find his way !Dabo has been a Head Coach 2 yrs., He loves Clemson & given time I think he will be one of Clemson's greatest ! Go Tigers

Dabo and Spurrier are in 2 different leagues......

Nov 30, 2010, 4:35 PM

Spurrier has been there dont that and is doing it again. Dabo hasnt done it, isnt doing it and wont ever get it done here! Put the ornage glasses down and call a spade a spade....we got jipped when we hired him!

You weren't saying that 2 years ago when Dabo beat

Nov 30, 2010, 9:57 PM

Spurrier in DV.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Re: You weren't saying that 2 years ago when Dabo beat

Dec 1, 2010, 1:47 AM

More to the point, Chris Smelley beat Spurrier in DV that day.

Tigertide is a true idiot or just another COOT***

Dec 1, 2010, 6:48 AM

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic