Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The week ahead: Supper's on the table
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

The week ahead: Supper's on the table

Feb 21, 2010, 9:57 AM

I figured at least one of the ACC's top-tier teams would fall back within striking distance.

But I'll have to admit: I'm surprised it was Wake. The Deacs' 0-2 week opened the door for 2 more teams to snag a first-day bye. Both Clemson and FSU are right behind the Deacs, and we both have a shot at them before the season is finished.

Elsewhere, Duke was Duke, Maryland was very good and VTech for whatever belittling I gave them for a cupcake OOC schedule and my distaste for the ref-bedazzling histrionics of Dana Delaney, have almost assured themselves a Dance Card. I say almost because of how this week's schedule shakes out.

Here's where we stand right now:
1. Duke 10-2
2. Maryland 9-3
3. Va Tech 8-3
4. Wake Forest 8-5
5. *Clemson 7-5
5. Fla State 7-5
7. Ga Tech 6-7
8. Virginia 5-7
9. Bost College 4-8
10. Miami 3-9
10. N Carolina 3-9
12. NC State 3-10

*Holds the tiebreaker on Fla. State

The Week Ahead:
Tonght: Virginia Tech at Duke: Wow! Who will the refs fall for tonight? I think we all know. When Duke's guards don't have to leave their feet to defend Delaney, when Allen's step-slow jumper gets devoured a few times, the Hokies will bend over and take it like everyone else on Cameron.

Tuesday's Game: Virginia at Miami If the Hoos have any thought of bailing out their Titanic end of the season, this is the game. Since we've seen both of these teams lately, it should be a dandy ... as in Jim Dandy, the cut-rate dog food. I'd give the edge to the Canes...mainly because they've had a week off, and the home court (such as it is down there) is a plus. Leg-weary UVa's slide continues.

Wednesday's Games: Florida St. at UNC:
If we want to get some breathing room on the Noles, this is a game UNC needs to win. And they could, if FSU wishes to stumble around a bit. BTW, anyone notice that the Noles last 5 ACC wins have been against the lower-tier teams? It's too close to call, so I call the home team. Repugnant as it may be, I'd like the Heels to take this one.

Va Tech at Boston: Another "Should be an easy call" games that really isn't. VTech already lost to BC at home, and the Eagles' style of play gives VTech fits. Plus it's a classic trap game, between Duke and Maryland for the Hokies. I'll call for the upset. BC sweeps the Hokies.

Clemson at Maryland:
Ahhh, the only game that really matters. A 9 p.m. Raycom game to boot. After seeing what the Terps had to go through to beat Tech at home yesterday, there's no question Clemson can take them. There's also no question that the Terps are not going quietly. If you're going to dress in dog-pee yallow outfits, you've got to be tough. I'm giving Clemson the rare road win because (1) Maryland hopefully be be preparing to play the team that didn't have Demontez Stitt back and (2) I really don't like the road we have to travel if we lose.

Thursday Game: Tulsa at Duke:
Why you ask? Maybe Leon Russell was passing through town. But there's nothing in this game of league interest. Move along.

Saturday Games: Maryland at Va Tech: An intriguing game as far as tourney seeds go ... and if Clemson beat Maryland on Wednesday and BC beat the Hokies, a game that both teams will need to stop skids. It's amazing they haven't played each other yet. I like Maryland in this one.

NC State at Miami: Another clash of the Titans. It would be fun to watch in a car-wreck sort of way. Heck, give it to Miami at home. Why not?

UNC at Wake: Can Wake snap its skid? They've had a week to prepare and UNC has no one who can keep up with Ish Smith, so I'd say they can...doggone it! Wake keeps in the hunt for a bye in the conference tourney.

Boston at Ga Tech: The Eagles suffer from the same malady as GTech...they can't win on the road. That's about the only reason I'd pick them over the swooning Jackets.

So, at the end of the week, if all goes as planned, here's what we've got:

1. Duke 11-2
2. Maryland 10-4
3. Wake Forest 9-5
4. Clemson 8-5
5. Va Tech 8-6
6. Fla State 7-6
7. Ga Tech 7-7
8. Virginia 5-8
9. Bost College 5-9
9. Miami 5-9
11. N Carolina 4-10
12. NC State 3-11

It looks strange to have VTech in a three-game swoon at this point, but if BC can hold up at home, that's exactly what we should have. But we've got one HUGE road game this week, then an extra day to rest before facing FSU. Make it count, Tigers!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ish Smith

Feb 21, 2010, 10:18 AM

From what i have seen he is the CJ of basketball.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Re: The week ahead: Supper's on the table

Feb 21, 2010, 11:42 AM

Wow,you got it all figured out except for one small detail;nothing ever goes as planned!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The week ahead: Supper's on the table

Feb 21, 2010, 11:47 AM

Yeah, just ask UConn about the Pizza Bowl

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great job as always....one minor correction though.....

Feb 21, 2010, 10:15 PM

BC actually lost to VT the first time around. They gave it away in the final minute. VT's losses are all road losses: UNC, FSU, Miami and now Duke.
But BC had VT last time until the refs gave the assist down the stretch, since apparently Blacksburg has become Chapel Hill north this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Leon Russell reference, I love it!

Feb 21, 2010, 10:41 PM

Wow, I AM old.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic