Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I feel really terrible about this.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

I feel really terrible about this.

Sep 11, 2009, 11:16 AM

I mean, first of all that you each had to endure that heartbreaking loss last night. And then...you all had to wait all night and most of the morning before you could get my thoughts and opinions on the game. I've just been busy at work this morning, and I'm sorry. I can't say it won't happen again.

I spent the first half of the game last night just completely sick. I just get this way. I was sweating and shaky and feverish just sitting on the couch. I was concerned not for the game (which was all but lost) but that we had shown zero signs of having a football program. At all. The national embarrassment was bad enough - to be concerned that we were going to be that way all year long was just not something I could take.

But I wasn't angry. Or bitter. Or venemous. I certainly wasn't happy like so many of you who just live to see other people fail so that you can take the cheap shot at them. If you think I'm about to get up on my soapbox and talk down to you like you're a lesser form of human being...well, you're probably right. And if you feel that way already, then you can just about rest assured that I'm talking to you.

You, the target of this portion of my missive, may kiss my rear end at your earliest convenience. Not because we came back and made it close at the end. But because you, Mr./Ms. I'm-So-Insecure-All-I-Can-Do-To-Make-Myself-Feel-Big-And-Bad-Is-Take-Cheap-Shots-At-Better-People-Than-Myself, were HAPPY last night when the Tigers looked awful. You were EXCITED that you could call out our coaches and administration for an awful hire, or an awful performance. And that's just sad. Even more sad than I was when we turned it over on that last 4th down. Boys and girls, I was awfully sad. And before you call me out about taking cheap shots...yeah, I'm probably doing it right here. But I don't think you're better than I am.

Get a grip. If you can't be a Clemson fan during good times and bad - if you're so thrilled with others' failures and problems - there are plenty of seats available at Williams-Brice this year. Better jump on the bandwagon while there's room. There's plenty of love to hate to go around.

Now I'll admit it. I yelled at the TV some last night. I frustrated. Sick. Sad. Never angry. Never bitter at our coaches and players. Never. I was never bitter at Tommy Bowden. Just frustrated and disappointed.

I don't believe in moral victories. Clemson is 1-1, 0-1, and that's awfully tough right now when your goal is the ACC Championship. The good news is that FSU already has a loss too.

But I do believe you can take positive things away from a loss. I saw a bunch of positive things.

I saw three things we would NEVER have seen under Bowden (and I'm not trying to throw him under the bus, this is just the truth). I saw us get up off the mat - in every phase of the game - and absolutely annihilate Georgia Tech. I also saw (heard/read) our Head Coach say the words, "I got my butt outcoached in the first half."

Hell yes you did, Coach. But you and your assistants also did something we haven't seen in 10+ years. You made adjustments, and then you outcoached the other side in the second half.

Who among you would have thought after 24-0 that GT would have only 6 more points in the game? Or that Clemson would score 27 straight? In DOMINATING FASHION? Clemson dominated this game, if you look at the whole package. We gave up 3 stupid plays, all of which went for touchdowns. We were a little unlucky at that...but mainly we were outcoached and outplayed on those 3 plays.

Georgia Tech needed another great play, combined with another totally BS holding call to win that game. I am so incredibly disappointed that a call such as that just changed the whole game. I certainly don't throw this game at the feet of the officials, but what horrible timing for a horrible call. Without that call, chances are excellent that the worst-case scenario is overtime. Give something up for Nesbitt - he showed no ability to make that last throw the entire game, but he laid that one in there. I almost lost a $3,500 TV when he did. :)

I thought our OL started out poorly, but improved. They wore down the GT defense, when I thought the exact opposite was going to happen to us. They may have taken a giant step towards manhood last night.

I thought our defense was powerful last night. I don't know how many other defenses will be that effective against GT all year.

I thought CJ Spiller was the man again last night. I can't believe they kept talking about how they kept CJ in check during the game. Sure, he only had 230 all purpose yards. I usually rather like Chris Fowler, but he was pretty full of it last night.

I remain impressed with Kyle Parker. He's a freshman, and certainly that shows through from time to time. That, and the fact that he got hammered in the play before really showed up on that last 4th down. A good throw has the first down, but I think he just couldn't get it there. That was tough. And I like the fact that he's apparently tough on himself, and his helmet. I think his helmet learned some new words.

I was just heartbroken last night. You should never have a comeback like that fall short like that. But I'd far rather lose that way than 40-0. I don't pretend that a loss is anything other than a loss, but I think you spend your day being proud that our team and coaches are men you can be proud of.

I can't get away from this - when was the last time you saw our coaching staff make in-game adjustments?

I'm upset about losing last night, but I feel better about the state of the program. A lot better. If that's a growing pain, I'll take it. Not gladly, but I'll take it.

Oh, and guys: I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings with some of that stuff earlier. Just take a couple of Midol and go to the water cooler to say more hateful things about a co-worker or something, and you'll feel better in no time.

Give 'em hell, Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^***

Sep 11, 2009, 11:21 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly with the exception of 3 plays, our coaches

Sep 11, 2009, 11:26 AM

out coached them and dominated. Unfortunately like you said those 3 plays were tds, but all very correctable.

1) we wont see option again except possibly ACC championship-corrected

2) Dabo will probably never do the pooch kick again-corrected

3) We will pay close attention whe other teams are shifting players on and off the field, maybe add a safety or something to fg unit on long fgs. - corrected

so there the 3 plays we got beat on are corrected. Cant fix ACC refs though

wow...

Sep 11, 2009, 11:30 AM

What about 3rd and 11 at the end of the game? Stop blaming the refs...

There were bad calls that impacted the game, but not why we lost.

BTW... I was pretty impressed with how our staff responded.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

You know that pass was incomplete, right?

Sep 11, 2009, 11:31 AM

I mean, we DID stop that play. And you CAN blame the refs because they quite literally cost us this game.

Keep chasing those windmills, Steve!

it wasn't incomplete***

Sep 11, 2009, 11:32 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

It absolutely was.

Sep 11, 2009, 11:33 AM

If you care (which I suspect you care more about complaining than what actually happened) go watch the play. The ball hit the ground. Had that been a Clemson WR, it would have been reviewed and overturned.

wow***

Sep 11, 2009, 11:34 AM

Where is the video? Thanks***

Sep 11, 2009, 11:35 AM [ in reply to It absolutely was. ]

On my DVR. Or ESPN 360, I would guess***

Sep 11, 2009, 11:36 AM

Oh, okay. Thanks.***

Sep 11, 2009, 11:39 AM

I thought I saw that...

Sep 11, 2009, 11:43 AM [ in reply to It absolutely was. ]

But I haven't had a chance to catch a replay. Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. Guess I'll see for sure tonight. I want to watch that "hold" again, too.

Regardless, that's how the game turned out. I'm proud of our Tigers (coaching staff included), but I expect that effort for 4 quarters from here on out.

It was close if it wasn't. I rewound and watched. It may

Sep 11, 2009, 2:02 PM [ in reply to It absolutely was. ]

have been fulled a catch, fumble, recovery. Chancellor definately got a hand in and knocked the ball lose momentarily.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

read..i didnt say that was why, never blamed the refs

Sep 11, 2009, 11:37 AM [ in reply to wow... ]

just one of the reasons out of our control. You did see the other 3 bullets didnt you. And it did have an effect on outcome, it probably cost us an additional 3 or 7 pts. Like I said, giving up only 2 3rd downs the entire game is not bad, just the timing. It was a good play on their part, coverage was there, their guy just made a play.

It would be a lot easier not to blame refs...

Sep 11, 2009, 11:39 AM [ in reply to wow... ]

if it was the right call--and if we wouldn't have had the ball inside their 30 with time winding down.

To have comebacks like that everything has to be perfect--I wish it hadn't come down to a subjective call.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 3rd and 11 was not a coaching error

Sep 11, 2009, 12:10 PM [ in reply to wow... ]

Chancellor got beat for what seemed like the 5th time and Gilchrist was late getting over the top.

dude make some cliff notes***

Sep 11, 2009, 11:29 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The People don't want the cliff notes.

Sep 11, 2009, 11:30 AM

Cliff notes are for sissies. Or freshman general ed classes. This is football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: dude make some cliff notes***

Sep 11, 2009, 11:34 AM [ in reply to dude make some cliff notes*** ]

quit whinning

Spot on. To actually read a "Clemson fan" express that

Sep 11, 2009, 11:32 AM

they were disappointd in CJ's performance last night is just...insane.

The guy put up almost 250 yards. He had almost 100 yards rushing, a huge TD catch and laid some incredible blocks.

Dang Straight - how the heck did you write this.......

Sep 11, 2009, 11:41 AM

Never read anything that so resembles what I felt too, although I guarantee I was sicker than you that first half....I literally almost threw chunks

Go Clemson!!

Post of the week, Francis.

Sep 11, 2009, 1:29 PM

Could not possibly have said it better myself.

The only postscript I can add is to the rest of our scheduled opponents: Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic