Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More from EA SPORTS about Clemson (Posted Today)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,299

More from EA SPORTS about Clemson (Posted Today)

Feb 25, 2009, 10:12 AM

EDIT: "FTW" means "For The Win", internet slang to show enthusiasm

Message was edited by: OberTiger®

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/news/FTW_022509

Wednesday FTW – Clemson Sure is a Tough Place to Play

ClemsonJumotron_NewsSm"They've been in line camped outside the arena since Wednesday and Thursday," said Mike Money, Director of Marketing, when I asked about the diehard fans that were lined up outside Littlejohn Coliseum at Clemson University.

Last week I had a chance to meet up with NCAA Basketball Producer Novell Thomas who was en route from his stop in Syracuse to catch the Orange host the Georgetown Hoyas in the Carrier Dome. I had just come from Phoenix where I was covering the NBA All-Star Game and was really looking forward to getting a taste of some ACC action as the Tigers hosted conference rival Maryland Tarrapins.

The Tigers were coming off a disappointing loss to Virginia over the weekend and they were looking at bouncing back against a Terrapin team that they’ve played well against, winning their last five out of seven games prior to Tuesday’s match-up.

The reason for the college tour is to find out which arena really is the toughest place to play and there is nothing like getting a first-hand look to get a sense of why opposing teams fear these school arenas.

The first thing I noticed upon our initial tour of the arena is how close the end bleachers were to the court. Those that were camped outside would eventually prop themselves on these standing room only spots and were no more than ten feet away from the baseline.

During the game, while we were sitting on the end with other press taking pictures, these fans were all over the Terrapin players whenever an inbound pass or free-throw was being made. One fan even told me about a time when he asked an opposing player how his time in jail was after a recent mishap only to have the player respond back, “Why don’t you ask yo mama who was in there with me last night?” Awesome.

All the way up on both ends the students would file in all wearing Clemson orange, some even painting themselves completely orange to show their true colors. Many more would fill in the rest of the Littlejohn Coliseum seats and from grandparents to grandkids, you could tell that the roots run deep here in South Carolina.

Before the game, the crowd had a chance to watch the EA SPORTS NCAA Basketball 09 tournament final on the jumbotron between Stephen Medearis and Anthony Martin. The two battled their way through a 64-player bracket for a chance to take home an Xbox 360 and compliment of EA SPORTS games. Both teams played with Clemson and a lot of people thought it was pretty cool to see their school team in the video game. In the end, Stephen ended up coming out on top FTW and was crowned Clemson U’s Champ.

As the players ran on to the court, the band would start and the fans would all kick-in to tune singing the Clemson fight song, the Tiger Rag. It was guaranteed to get them off their feet and cheering in unison followed by some Zombie Nation that would rile them up even more. Though the seating was just over 10,000, at times it sounded like a lot more.

“It really is all about the fans here,” said Jeremiah Dew (“J Dew”) the in-game host who helps work the crowd during time-outs giving away prizes or announcing special guests. “There is a lot of history at this school and the students play a huge part in continuing the traditions that have been started by others who have been through these doors before.”

“It doesn’t take much to get our crowd into the game,” says Martin Jernigan, the Tiger Cub mascot. “When the crowd does seem out of it, we get right up into the stands and get in their face and shake them up a bit. We remind them that they’re part of the game and our team definitely feeds off of them."

“This facility is a unique one, especially on the ends as they stand more vertical than the sides,” adds Matt Money, Manager of Facilities at the campus. “This really brings the student sections closer to the court.” On numerous occasions whether it was following a big dunk by Trevor Bookner or on a questionable call against the Tigers, even the fans in the back of those rows could be heard courtside where Nov and I were sitting.

“I’d have to say my most memorable moment here was just recently when we beat Duke earlier this year,” says Mike. “Even as the team made the ACC final last year, there was still some question about whether or not we deserved to be there. With the huge win over the Blue Devils (74-47) I know that we’re finally deserving of our standing as one of the top teams in the nation.”

Coach Oliver Purnell has definitely brought this team beyond respectability and a huge sign of that will be seen not only by their potential run come March, but also with the recruiting class that we’re told Purnell has already attracted to attend next year.

"Though we’ll lose a couple of key seniors next year,” continues Mike, “we’re looking at gaining some talented kids that love what the team stands for and really enjoy the opportunity here at our historical campus.”

In the first half, neither of the teams got on any big runs to control the tempo of the game. Clemson had the lead but could not capitalize on numerous Terrapin turnovers. Though the student sections did their best to energize the team, there also remained a nervous energy among the crowd sensing that the score was a little closer than it should’ve been.

A spark would occur, however, right before the end of the half as a Tiger steal with seconds remaining would send them running the other way. With a big dunk at the buzzer, it seemed the entire crowd was right back into it, confident that their boys would get it together.

During the second half, the Tigers would feed off the crowd again and caught fire going on a 33-10 run over an eight minute span, practically putting the game out of reach to the delight of the Clemson faithful. One would think that at this point, the crowd would settle down, but even with every basket and every bad call, the crowd let their feelings be known regardless of the score.

The highlight of the run and of the night was when Trevor Booker slammed home a 3-point shot miss, climbing the ladder and finding the ball nearly two feet above the rim. His athleticism sent every fan in Littlejohn Coliseum off their chairs and yelling in unison with Booker who screamed as well satisfied with his electric play.

“I wasn’t sure if I could make it or not,” Booker reported saying to the Greenville News, “but I was totally energized by the crowd and it was a pretty memorable dunk.”

"Trevor makes big plays and our whole team feeds off his enthusiasm,” remarks Purnell in an ESPN news report. All the starters would go on to shoot in the double-figures and six Tiger shooters would find their range hitting 3-point shots.

Though at first I didn’t feel a part of the Clemson orange crew, Josh Oden, a fan in student section, decided to make me an honorable member of the OPP, Oliver Purnell Posse. He threw me his orange shirt that a picture of the coach on the front to put on seeing as I wasn’t wearing the team colors. Once I did, I too felt the energy that came with being a Tiger faithful as I looked up at him clapping with his friends and other fans in approval of my wardrobe change.

At the final buzzer, the Tigers would turn a six-point halftime lead into a 29-point victory as the home side won 93-64 matching their highest point total of the year. Immediately following the game, in what has become a tradition for the school, the lights dimmed with the team at center court and the fans sang their alma mater song in unison showing their pride and satisfaction with the night’s big win.

In the end, it was quite something to see everyone’s arms lifted in unison chanting a song which has been sung generation after generation at this school, signifying a true and strong sense of heritage that at least, for tonight, lifted the Tigers far and above their ACC rival FTW!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of you.

FTW?***

Feb 25, 2009, 10:21 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson football isn't fancy. Clemson football is having a good kicking game, winning with the kicking game, hit you on defense, don't turn the ball over and be able to control the ball.
-Danny Ford

"For The Win" - random message board lingo***

Feb 25, 2009, 10:22 AM

Most of you.

I thought it stood for Eff the World...***

Feb 25, 2009, 11:08 AM

Clemson football isn't fancy. Clemson football is having a good kicking game, winning with the kicking game, hit you on defense, don't turn the ball over and be able to control the ball.
-Danny Ford

for future reference...urbandictionary.com is your friend

Feb 25, 2009, 10:24 AM [ in reply to FTW?*** ]

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ftw

kind of odd reading the mascot's name be mentioned... I

Feb 25, 2009, 10:23 AM

thought that was supposed to be a hush hush deal??

unless they changed things it's always been known...

Feb 25, 2009, 10:24 AM

usually on the cheerleaders page of the programs.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I was there, it was no secret. I knew the Tiger and

Feb 25, 2009, 12:42 PM

Tiger Cub. It was kinda cool - the picture on their IDs was taken with the costume head on!

What does "FTW" stand for?***

Feb 25, 2009, 10:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"For The Win" - internet lingo for enthusiasm***

Feb 25, 2009, 10:25 AM

Most of you.

awesome thx for posting..point. Caption for the third pic...

Feb 25, 2009, 10:26 AM

8 reasons why you should have gone to Clemson

Yep.

Feb 25, 2009, 12:13 PM

I never thought the cheerleaders or Rally Cats (bless their hearts) represented the Clemson coed accurately for the sports world. This is more like it. ;)

Good post!***

Feb 25, 2009, 10:39 AM

Who the #### is Trevor Bookner?***

Feb 25, 2009, 11:18 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be..." - Winston Churchill

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,299
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic