Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Would TB ever be man enough to say the following?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Would TB ever be man enough to say the following?

Jul 26, 2008, 8:56 AM

"We need to win the division somewhere along the way. That's the next step we need to take, or else, if that doesn't happen in about 5 years then somebody else needs to try to do it because we have a lot of good players...That's what coaching is all about. If one guy doesn't get it done in 7 or 8 years, something like that, give the next guy a chance."

How refreshing. Here's a guy that acknowledges that if you aren't getting the job done in a certain amount of time then someone else is going to get a shot at it and deserves to get a shot at it. That's how it works in the real world and no matter how big the guy's ego is, he has a grasp of that fundamental truth. His statement is more...a LOT more that "win or I quit."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the aliens fault.****

Jul 26, 2008, 9:13 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would TB ever be man enough to say the following?

Jul 26, 2008, 9:13 AM

W > $

Jul 11, 2023, 12:48 PM

It is not all the west end zone, 80% is Bowdens recruiting and the staffs character>

it was just a jab at Bowden. how ghey.

Jul 26, 2008, 9:14 AM

his ego was bruised over the "six wins" comment recently by bowden.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Define irony

Jul 26, 2008, 9:15 AM

You, someone who has a Battlestar Gallactica icon in your user profile and spends his times trying to convince people that ET is on his way, questioning a major college football coach.

Bowden has consistently said he needs to win.....

Jul 26, 2008, 10:29 AM

a championship.........sans the Spurrier escape hatch that you seem to be in love with.

Wrong place...sorry Don. Meant for original poster...***

Jul 26, 2008, 10:31 AM

ROFLMAO***

Jul 26, 2008, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Define irony ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ROFLMAO***

Aug 1, 2008, 6:17 PM

Pwn***

Jul 26, 2008, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Define irony ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will Macin ever be man enought to donate to this site?*****

Jul 26, 2008, 9:29 AM

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Battlestar whatever DVDs ain't cheap!***

Jul 26, 2008, 1:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

So what you're really saying is that we should dump Tommy

Jul 26, 2008, 9:31 AM

because a wide-out dropped a pass or because a corner fell down? What's "getting it done"? How about very, very few legal problems? How about graduating players (one of the best graduation rates in the country)? How about getting the WEZ done (make no mistake - that was Tommy's doing)? How about representing Clemson University in a positive light? How about developing troubled young boys into quality people (cough, cough Dwayne Coleman)?

You know what - winning's fine and winning is fun. Tommy Bowden has done more for this football program and for the reputation of Clemson than (yes, I'll say it) Danny Ford.

When you look at the big picture, Tommy has gotten it done. I think, before it's all over, he'll even have it done in your eyes (assuming your measuring stick is a championship). Now, that all being said, I'm not taking anything away from coach Ford ... Danny's bar for "getting it done" was measured differently than Tommy's. It's a whole different world in college football than it used to be. Just my two cents.

Plus we're considered the #22 program in the U.S. since 2000

Jul 26, 2008, 12:33 PM

and climbing.

Combine that with the things you said, and obviously only a fool, cough, cough, Macin, would want to change course.

HOF******

Jul 26, 2008, 3:10 PM [ in reply to So what you're really saying is that we should dump Tommy ]

I would not measure manhood on statements like that.

Jul 26, 2008, 9:32 AM

This is pretty easy talk when you are at a place you don't really want to be. Columbia is a stoppoing point for him on the way to achieving his personal goals, to e discarded on his own timetable. He can say stuff like that.

Stevie thought he was the biggest dog in the NCAA, so he wanted to be the biggest dog in the NFL. He got his head handed to him, and rather than stay in the league and figure out how to win he went back to what he thought were easeir pickings. But nobody really wanted him, except a school so shackled by its own insecurities it was willing, not once but twice, to sell itself to a rock star rather than to principles.

So, Stevie's view of life is that its about proving who is the baddest boy on the block. A guy like that says things like that, and people like ucs like that stuff.

A person, a team or an institution can win and not be bound by this mentality. It can have larger goals and more comprehensive and long term definitions of success. Some of those goals and definitions never reach the public eye.

Does this mean we have to accept 8 wins as the maximum number? No. But I have no desire to be a part of an organization to associate with a person who says "we hit this one measure of success by this date or we are gone." With that mindset, too much will be sacrificed to get there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man enough?

Jul 26, 2008, 9:33 AM

That statement had nothing to do with being a man. It was a shot at Tommy Bowden. Kind of hollow, though, considering he hasn't had too much success against him (or his father). He also knows he will be leaving usc soon (within 5 years). He is not going out on a limb with that line.

By the way, didn't Gundy at OSU kill all "man" lines last year? To say you're a man now just draws chuckles, it does not inspire fear.

Also, consider this thought. Would it be cool or stupid to make a statement like "I'm going to win a championship or you should fire me."? I'm pretty sure that people who think it is cool would not actually make the statement themselves about their own job and some lofty goal. Or they would be regretting the statement in 3 -4 years.

Sounds more like a quitter than a fighter. I'd rather have

Jul 26, 2008, 9:33 AM

the fighter as the coach instead of the quitter.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You said in a handful of words what took me a hundred.***

Jul 26, 2008, 10:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL Scott Rhymer. LOL.***

Jul 26, 2008, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Sounds more like a quitter than a fighter. I'd rather have ]

Of course that's what you think.

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Seems to me that the joke is you, Toogie***

Jul 26, 2008, 11:44 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As usual, he's oblivious to it.***

Jul 26, 2008, 12:17 PM

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's gulping his Milk of Amnesia now..***

Jul 26, 2008, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Seems to me that the joke is you, Toogie*** ]

null

Message was edited by: Dr. Nikola Tesla®

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

You can drink Amensia? I thought it was a place.....***

Jul 26, 2008, 12:44 PM

^^^ Truly one of the funniest things ever posted here.***

Jul 26, 2008, 1:02 PM [ in reply to LOL Scott Rhymer. LOL.*** ]

Sorry Toogie, but here's what your guy said:

Jul 26, 2008, 1:27 PM [ in reply to LOL Scott Rhymer. LOL.*** ]

COACH RAISES POSSIBILITY HE'LL LEAVE IF HE CAN'T PRODUCE A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM.
By Joseph Person
The (Columbia) State
APSouth Carolina coach Steve Spurrier speaks to the media Friday at the SEC football media days in Hoover, Ala.
HOOVER, Ala. --A year after South Carolina climbed into the top 10 but failed to finish strong, Steve Spurrier said a few more seasons of mediocrity would prompt him to let another coach try to finish taking the Gamecocks to the SEC championship game.

On the day USC was picked in its customary fourth-place position in the SEC East, Spurrier talked about the challenges of coaching at a school with one conference championship in its 114-year history.

?I knew it would be difficult. If it was easy, it wouldn't be that much fun to try to do it,? he said Friday near the end of SEC media days. ?If it was easy, all them other coaches would have been winning at South Carolina.?

Spurrier, who won a national title at Florida and an ACC crown at Duke, said the Gamecocks need to have a couple of big seasons and break the stronghold the troika of Tennessee, Florida and Georgia has held on the East.

And for the first time since arriving in Columbia before the 2005 season, Spurrier, 63, mentioned the possibility that someone else might be the man to do it.

?We need to win the division somewhere along the way. That's the next step we need to take, or else, if that doesn't happen in about five years then somebody else needs to try to do it because we've got a lot of good players,? Spurrier said. ?That's what coaching's all about. If one guy doesn't get it done in seven, eight years, something like that, give that next guy a chance.

?But South Carolina can win. I really believe that.?

With a 21-16 record, Spurrier has more wins than any USC coach after three seasons. Following an eight-win season and a Liberty Bowl victory in his second year, the Gamecocks started 6-1 last fall and vaulted to No.6 in the BCS standings.

Again sorry, dude, but it sounds to everyone except gamecock fans that SOS is unlocking the back door...just in case....... Now, every Clemson fan has had some issues with Clemson football since Coach Bowden took over and NO Clemson supporter is happy with the perception that Clemson doesn't "meet expectations." But NEVER ONCE has Coach Bowden intimated he'd leave Clemson if the going got tough---because its been tough and he's taken a lot of heat (and do not confuse that question with Coach Bowden listening to offers from outside universities and parlaying it into job security and a raise)

Holtz quit because he decided he wasn't going to get the job done within the time period he'd initially anticipated (and McGee fled cognizant of pending NCAA probation and the awareness of who Holtz's recruiting had landed on campus) and it sure sounds like Spurrier is close to conceding the same thing. The continuity of Clemson's football program having kept Coach Bowden has leant itself to very tangible results: excellent graduation rates, very low legal problems, facilities improvements and sharp increase in recruiting success. Hopefully, the championships are far behind.

Your amusement with Rhymer's post not withstanding; at least Bowden has never given any indication he's going to quit on Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correction: "aren't far behind"***

Jul 26, 2008, 1:29 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no indication of quitting

Jul 26, 2008, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Sorry Toogie, but here's what your guy said: ]

unless arkansas pays more

Jul 26, 2008, 10:07 AM

Notice that he gave himself a few more years. He plans to 'cut and run' after those 6 or 7 years, no matter how his teams perform.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2008, 10:36 AM

I don't know how you measure men, but in my book, Tommy is twice the man spurmouth is. This statement is just proof that the OBS is always thinking about us and CTB.

Regardless of your interpretation of what a man is

Jul 26, 2008, 10:57 AM

Bowden has outlasted one "gamecock answer to the problem" and he will outlast this one. When Spurrier was hired I said we had the better man and I still believe that. When all is said and done; we'll be saying Tommy was one of the greatest to ever coach, at Clemson. This I also believe.

Agreed. And you know what? Bowden is already one of the

Jul 26, 2008, 12:56 PM

greatest coaches in our history. You can say that just by looking at his accomplishments on the field, and then you can add in the character, graduation, representing our school with class and integrity, and the other things he's done for our football program as well.

Laughing out loud!!!!!!!

Jul 26, 2008, 11:08 AM

MacinTiger questioning if Coach Bowden is man enough....

I guess you can question just about anyone's manhood sitting behind a keyboard.

Tommy Bowden is a fine man and coach, which takes in to account other things than just winning the ACC.

And for the record MacinTiger, I am very familiar with what it takes to win championships.

MacinTiger one of Danny Fords NC Players is Callin' you out***

Jul 26, 2008, 11:59 AM

Well he was (is) from Virginia but the Ford part is right*****

Jul 26, 2008, 12:19 PM

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

NC = National Championship***

Jul 26, 2008, 4:30 PM

And just for curiosity's sake

Jul 26, 2008, 11:12 AM

I wonder if Florida is happy that spurrier had such an ego when they were trying to hire him back. Seems like they wound up on the long end of that deal.

I think Spurrier's math is bad...

Jul 26, 2008, 11:48 AM

if he's giving himself 5 or 6 more years to win something, that's more than 6 or 7 years to "get it done". Maybe the first 4 years don't count.

In any case, I'll take coach Bowden over Spurrier any day. How is coach Bowden not "getting the job done"? Isn't part of his job to graduate players? Isn't part of his job to sign players that won't embarrass the school with their off-the-field shenanigans? While his players aren't perfect, he's had a lot fewer problems than Spurrier has.

Re: I think Spurrier's math is bad...

Jul 26, 2008, 12:20 PM

I don't think it is bad.

I don't think he was being specific. I think he was talking generally

" If one guy doesn't get it done in 7 or 8 years, SOEMTHING LIKE THAT, give the next guy a chance."

Lets just be happy with wrere we are now with a chance to do

Jul 26, 2008, 12:48 PM

something special. It's obvious that the program is growing as recruiting has improved dramatically with the new facilities.

What an ABSOLUTE load of BS!!!

Jul 26, 2008, 12:58 PM

Spurrier just feathering his nest/= Buying himself MORE time. He realizes he's accomplished NOTHING and he has a NOTHING team to field in 2008.

Oh yeah, a REAL COACH is "MAN ENOUGH" to control his players. To assert himself and communicate to his players the wild, lawlessness, for which cootville's known, is UNACCEPTABLE at a MAJOR university (of A REAL MAN.)

Till then, USuC is just "an outlaw program." = Thank you very much Mister "I'd Rather be Playing Golf" Spurrier!!! You know, in 5-6 years, Steveo might be "shooting his age" on the golf course... That in itself must be worth paying him $Millions a year. And, so long as coots are suckers enough to pay it, Stevil is MAN ENOUGH to extort it from them!

Meanwhile Spurrier has had 22 players ARRESTED over the last 21 games he has coached.

Guess it's time for CTB to "man up" huh??? Or, PERHAPS it's time for SOS to SHUT THE eF UP and produce some winning seasons w/o all his juco/Canadian thugs. So, for once, his players remain off the police blotter!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, because that is loser talk *

Jul 26, 2008, 1:54 PM

One think that needs clarifying

Jul 26, 2008, 2:02 PM

Is that it is IMPOSSIBLE for TB to win a division in football for the first 6 years he was at Clemson, since there weren't divisions in ACC football until 2005.

To that point, we played FSU for the ACC championship in the last ACC game of the year in 2000, which would seem dang close to playing in a championship game (we played in the last ACC game of the season that, had we won, we would've been champions).

No one will argue its not time for us to play in the ACCCG, but lets not pretend its been 9 years in which we haven't played for the title.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic