Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here's what I know about Watkins, Billie, and Capote ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,871

Here's what I know about Watkins, Billie, and Capote ...

Dec 18, 2007, 5:29 PM

Watkins had to deal with having his hometown ravaged by Hurricane Katrina. I have spent two weeks on the Gulf Coast, and I can't imagine what that storm did to those who lived there. Plus, there are other issues at work with Watkins that most of us will never fully know.

Billie had to deal with losing an entire season to a broken ankle. He could have quit, but worked hard in the classroom and everywhere else to come back and play.

Capote could have died in the car accident before the Champs Sports Bowl. His career didn't really go as he'd hoped until this year.

I see three guys who persevered through some pretty tough things and made huge contributions to this year's team.

They seem to be character young men.

I'm betting things turn out just fine for each of them.

Best of luck to those young men.

RB ~

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree! Good Post!.

Dec 18, 2007, 5:36 PM

Merry Christmas!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Katrina

Dec 18, 2007, 6:07 PM

I understand the hurricane is the reason everything costs more today. That's been drilled into my head by my company's suppliers.

Now it's the reason someone fails academically. Good one.

I'm starting to think Katrina is behind Al Queda.

WOW! So these guys aren't really to be held accountable...

Dec 18, 2007, 6:33 PM

for their academic whoas because they have some really great excuses!! BS!!! My daughter, a junior at Clemson, just about a year ago broke her back in a four wheeler accident and she didn't flunk a single course although she was laid up in the hospital for nearly two weeks and had to wear a back and neck brace for three months! I'm sure these players are really great guys, I know they are good football players, but go to class and get the work done ######! Nuff said!

GO TIGERS!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where in that post did I say anything about not being ...

Dec 18, 2007, 6:37 PM

held accountable???

Of course they are accountable.

And, as I suggested in my post, they should also be given credit for overcoming some pretty severe obstacles, much like your daughter.

It's easy to criticize and jump on people when they mess up.

I choose to focus on the fact that these young men are not failures.

They have already succeeded.

If you choose otherwise, then fine. But please don't put words in my mouth (or, in this case, in my post).

RB ~

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where in that post did I say anything about not being ...

Dec 18, 2007, 6:49 PM

And I am saying they should be held accountable for THEIR grades. People are way too much into excuses these days! At some point accountability just has to supercede excuses!
GO TIGERS!!!

I agree..........

Dec 18, 2007, 6:58 PM

I love them as players and as young men but its ok to call a spade a spade. They had every opportunity to succeed. I know these kids. No one ever asked them to come in and be deans list kids but to stay eligible and be available to your coach and teammates, with all the academic support, this is definitely possible under many different circumstances and hardships.
I am for athletes and people understanding how difficult it is to work in those dual roles in todays sports world. Time consuming weeks, injuries, etc. No money in some cases. BUT it is completely possible to do what is asked at a very minimum. Billie for example had an entire season to focus while he was injured. He faced academic uncertainty before as others have. He himself should have been prepared regardless of what we have to say.
Just my 2 cents.

Right On. They knew better, and they chose to put themselves

Dec 18, 2007, 7:14 PM

in this situation.

They chose by neglecting their academic responsiblities. They could have chosen differently. And this hurts more than themselves. It hurts the team, the staff, the fans, and possibly their future (if they choose not to "finish the job"). Yes, they have good qualities, but we must not give in to the temptation that they deserve excuses.

What about the college student who is struggling to pay his own way by working and going to school? Or the student who is married and supporting a family? Believe me, there are other scenarios with greater challenges than these guys had, and the "ordinary Joe" faced with those challenges knows he MUST "finish the job." That is the attitude that Rashaad Jackson has. And that is the attitude that every player should have.

If TB wasn't running such a clean program, a tutor could

Dec 18, 2007, 7:03 PM

have stepped in

You're retarded. They did poorly academically because they

Dec 18, 2007, 7:21 PM

were morons and didn't take their studies seriously. Stop making excuses, it makes you look like a dunce.

All Rock Bottom's post shows is that he might have

Dec 18, 2007, 7:50 PM

a little compassion in his heart, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Your post makes you look like a heartless fool.

Photobucket

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,871
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic