Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To those saying that I "sold out"...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 2,400

To those saying that I "sold out"...

Sep 5, 2007, 4:18 PM

First of all, maybe you are dense or something but I DIDN?T get any job with Clemson. IN FACT, when Clemson heard it was ?Shoeless? who wanted to help them out they didn?t want to have anything to do with ME. I am not making videos at all anymore for Clemson, for money or for no money. I?m not selling them online for Clemson (or any other outlet) either.

I really don?t understand what is so difficult about that.

The plan was to do that, but even if I had... what about this would have been selling out?

I have worked for nearly 3 years for FREE? when?s the last time you put in 20+ hours a week on something that didn?t pay you a dime? Even if I had started getting paid to make these videos I wouldn?t actually turn a profit for a year or more but I still had to try. You try working a full time job, going to games, having a girlfriend and a life and putting in 20 hours a week for free on something that gives back zero in monetary value. It is a bad investment, but I did it b/c Clemson fans loved it. Even fans of other schools (FSU, VT, Texas, ND, SC, NCSU, Florida to name a few) would write me at times telling me that even they enjoyed my videos ?even if it was for the wrong team?.

From my ?hobby? I have earned a career, lots of friends, great memories, and saved $1000s b/c I don?t drink or go blow my money on alcohol like all the ?cool? people do. Not to mention it granted me access to the players and coaches last season as well as sideline access for the Bowl and Spring games. Its not like all I do is sit at home and make videos in some dungeon of my mom?s house. I have a career, live alone in my own place, have a girlfriend, go to the games (home and away), do everything a lot of people do, I just made a decision a few years ago to sleep 3 hours less a night during football season so that I could make these videos.

Another thing. I didn?t go up to Clemson to try to get paid. I went to them to ask permission to continue making videos. I went to the university so that I could improve my quality of video for Clemson. I never asked Clemson for a penny and we were hoping to give any extra money we earned back to Clemson as well as some charities.

I?m sorry to say it, but highlight videos have a ceiling? you can?t make them too fast or nobody can tell what is going on. You can?t make them too slow or it?s just a bunch of boring clips. You have to try and tell a story of the game with music and highlights that are relevant. That can get pretty boring every week when essentially all I?m doing is telling the same story with different video clips and music. Not to say that I, among others, didn?t enjoy that? but I wanted to take it a step further. I wanted to added NEW stories to the mix. I wanted to show an entire season as a story with behind the scenes footage of players and coaches. I wanted to offer videos you COULDN?T get on TV or otherwise. I wanted to give you everything you could ever want about Clemson football and for a minimal price and Clemson didn?t want to move in that direction.

So to say I ?sold out? is insulting and laughable as well as to fault me for trying. Clemson is in a bad place right now and every-time they show that late 80s, early 90s video during the pre-game they take another small step backwards. Many schools, including Notre Dame, GT, and even SC are moving forward with online video and Clemson is not. It might take a year, it might take 10 but Clemson wasn?t open to most of our ideas and that?s a shame b/c I was willing to work for literally pennies on the dollar to do this. I wanted to do this LAST season and now they?ve blown their chance again for at least another year.

Clemson deserves the royal treatment on the video side - ask your IPTAY rep to get behind a new approach for online video. If you want to help, call the athletic department and ask them to be open to change.

If they tried to hire any other professionals to do this they would spend $10s to $100s of THOUSANDS and would not get nearly the heart, effort, or desire I would put into it alone. I loved doing what I was doing and Clemson decided for me that it was over.

Sorry for the rant but it?s insulting to me when someone says I sold out without merit.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-shoelesscu.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol...come on, man. You are better than this.***

Sep 5, 2007, 4:20 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is the biggest burn this side of A&M***

Sep 5, 2007, 4:21 PM

Thanks for all the videos you did. Great work.***

Sep 5, 2007, 4:21 PM

....but you earned priceless points.***

Sep 5, 2007, 4:22 PM

Chill, man. It's ok. Don't get so worked up.***

Sep 5, 2007, 4:22 PM

Re: Chill, man. It's ok. Don't get so worked up.***

Sep 5, 2007, 4:54 PM

Easy to tell the man to chill when his integrity has been questioned after he put alot of his time and effort into something for nothing.

Who said you sold out? And believe me, if I could get a

Sep 5, 2007, 4:23 PM

job for Clemson photographing Clemson sporting events I would do it in a second. Instead I pay to drive to Clemson, sit in the stands, or hang out around the sidelines if possible (soccer, baseball, etc) and shoot what I can. We don't do it for the money. We do it because we hope people enjoy it.

null

You spent 20 hours a week on those?***

^^^^^^^^^not a true fan^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

;)

holy crap, I just noticed your points to post ratio!!!!!!!!!***

71 points per post!?!?!?!?!?!!?***

Sep 5, 2007, 4:24 PM

Did you approach Coach Bowden about this?

I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't back you since this would help recruiting, but I know he wouldn't have the final say in something like this anyway.

He does not make the call - ath dept does...***

Sep 5, 2007, 4:28 PM

Yes, I know. I even said that, but his endorsement

Sep 5, 2007, 4:31 PM

should probably be convincing.

Then Terry Don Phillips and Tim Bourret are goat monkeys***

Sep 5, 2007, 6:23 PM

I sincerely appreciated every one of your videos and I

didn't realize how much until I didn't have one. I miss you man! Terribly!

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

I think some people...

Sep 5, 2007, 4:26 PM

just like to run their mouths.

I agree with you. I love making videos and someone could do a great job if given the opportunity. Who better than someone who loves the University.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks Shoe for all your hard work; you do not owe anyone

Sep 5, 2007, 4:26 PM

an explanation as to your decision.

I know you spent a lot of hours and while I have kept most if not all of the vids and enjoy them thoroughly, I certainly don't feel owed any more or have anything but gratitude.

I think there was a lot of confusion...

Sep 5, 2007, 4:29 PM

that spun out of control like the game of "telephone" because your posts on the matter were somewhat cryptic about things. People assumed certain things based on your posts and other people assumed things based on those and it just spun out of control - that's the nature of the main board.

I can understand you being ticked about it completely and I can also agree with people telling you to have a thicker skin about it as well.

I've seen the same thing you're saying about online video at more than one school for a while now. Before that, it was the same with anything web-related.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep

Sep 5, 2007, 4:32 PM

Management of media usage is getting to be a bigger issue due to the enormity of negotiated media rights.

Ironically, everyone at Clemson would've probably been happy for him to continue unaffiliated with Clemson and without any real blessing, but once he stepped forward to ask they had no choice but to say no because they've already negotiated the video usage rights for Clemson games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You make a very good point, everyone needs to make their

Sep 5, 2007, 4:30 PM

voice heard that they want to see the quality of athletic media improve. When tons of e-mails and phone calls start pouring into the athletic department, it will start to make a difference.
Thanks for your work Shoeless!

Your videos are FANTASTIC, Shoeless, but to say you

Sep 5, 2007, 4:32 PM

haven't gained (monetarily) doesn't seem to quite mesh with your words:

"From my ?hobby? I have earned a career, lots of friends, great memories, and saved $1000s b/c I don?t drink or go blow my money on alcohol like all the ?cool? people do. Not to mention it granted me access to the players and coaches last season as well as sideline access for the Bowl and Spring games."

It's kinda like saying scholorship football players don't gain monetarily - - they gain because of what they don't have to pay.

I'm just trying to understand your position, NOT flame because YOU ARE the essence of what is great about TigerNet - seriously.

So Clemson won't pay even pennies on the dollar to get some serious video work going - which it should.

So you take your product off the market to not hurt Clemson (if I remember your post talking about you not doing the vids any more) . . . I can't make the connection in my feeble mind.

I would think continuosly making a bunch of people aware of how good video CAN BE (because of your skill and passion)would be the way to bring attention to the fact that the University is WAY behind the times.

And the way to make people aware is to keep the product on the shelf.

Would TigerNet offer a $1-2 a month upgrade to get the Shoeless access from here ? And pass 75% of those proceeds on to you ?

Maybe that would help you make the University aware that this technology's time has come . . .

I appreciate all your effort and time and passion . . . it VERY MUCH shows in the finished product.

But thats the thing, Tigernet can't do that

Sep 5, 2007, 4:34 PM

The video used in the majority of his videos (not to mention the music) make them not strictly legal. No one much cares when no one is charging for them, but once Tigernet becomes a paid gateway to them then almost all of the "fair use" arguments go away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point.***

Sep 5, 2007, 4:36 PM

so where is

Sep 5, 2007, 4:38 PM

the link to the FSU highlights?

www.tommybowdenshow.com/index.php***

Sep 5, 2007, 4:56 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't pay it a bit of attention. You do/did great work and

Sep 5, 2007, 4:56 PM

it is just missed is all. Hope to see you around!!

Go Tigers.

Your'e not kidding when you talk about how horrible that

Sep 5, 2007, 5:16 PM

video from the 90's is they played. It's almost as embarrassing as the dancing paw commercial.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

All you did was give the rest of us hours of enjoyment....

Sep 5, 2007, 5:18 PM

thanks Shoeless.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You'll eventually find those that will appreciate your work***

Sep 5, 2007, 6:26 PM

No way did you sell out. I just appreciate your time and

Sep 5, 2007, 6:43 PM

and effort in doing the videos that you did.They were the highlight of my week. Thanks again for the great job.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can we get a petition to being you back? I miss your videos

Sep 5, 2007, 8:22 PM

so bad, I'll pay you for just like 3 mins of highlights each week so with my kids as they grow up

Say it ain't so Shoeless, say it ain't so!!

It takes Clemson a while to catch on sometimes . . .

Sep 6, 2007, 12:51 PM

Don't worry, man . . . it will all work out for you one they wise up.

Replies: 33
| visibility 2,400
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic