Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hot Seat coaches with 7-12 years under their belts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Hot Seat coaches with 7-12 years under their belts

Aug 9, 2007, 8:56 PM

1. The hottest seat belongs to mystery man number 1. In 12 years this guy has posted records of.....6-5, 1-10, 4-7, 6-6, 1-10, 1-10, 6-4, 7-4, 9-3,9-3,10-3, 8-4, 7-5. He only won 48% of his games his first 12 years and somehow the dope put up THREE 1-10 records. EVERYONE says he's a lousy game day coach. Never won a conference title. I cannot believe he's still at the Division 1 level. Tigers own this guy.

2. Mystery man number 2 has won only 51% of his games in his first 12 years. He's been up and down and mostly very much middle of the road going....8-3, 4-7, 7-4,9-2,7-3,7-4, 2-9, 3-8,6-4, 6-5, 5-6, 2-8. What a joke. He's got two TWO win seasons, a three win season and a four win season. He must still be living off that one 9 game winner.

3. Mystery hot seat coach number 3 went a LONG way on the strength of ONE spectacular 11-1 season. I guess that let him survive his 1-9 disaster. His record through 12 years? 6-2-1,7-3, 8-3,5-3-2,9-3,11-1,8-4,5-4-2,7-2-1, 1-9, 8-3 and 5-4-1. It's a respectable but not guady 62% of games won record. One louser in 12 isn't really too bad and that 62% is about like Ole Hot seat Tommy at Clemson. Anyone name this guy?

4. Mystery man number four only has 11 seasons and he's rung up two losers and a bunch of 8 game winners. It is a respectable 67% of games won, sort of like Tommy Bowden's 65% through 10 years but some of those games came at a lower level. Beats me why this guy stays in the game at all.

5. Coach Five is a newcomer. He's only been in the game for 7 total years. He has put up two nine game winners but what I notice most is all the SIXES. With a record of 9-2,6-5,6-6,7-5,6-6,9-2 and 8-4, he doesn't look like he'll ever get to top dollar does he? You wouldn't really expect that 62% winning percentage to pay big, would you. I say fire this guy.

I'm not really suggesting we compare Tommy Bowden to Mack Brown, Frank Beamer, Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden or Nick Saban, but the numbers are interesting to me. Perhaps we aren't the kind of fans and this isn't the kind of time that a fellow can start off just a bit slowly and still be a big winner. I dunno about us.

Tommy Bowden's been coaching ten years. He's never had a loser and he's won 65% of his games. I guess a lot of guys with that sort of record spend time on the hot seat.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hot Seat coaches with 7-12 years under their belts

Aug 9, 2007, 9:16 PM

> 1. The hotest seat belongs to mystery man number 1.
> In 12 years this guy has posted records of.....6-5,
> 1-10, 4-7, 6-6, 1-10, 1-10, 6-4, 7-4, 9-3,9-3,10-3,
> 8-4, 7-5. He only won 48% of his games his first 12
> years and somehow the dope put up THREE 1-10 records.
> EVERYONE says he's a lousy game day coach. Never won
> a conference title. I cannot believe he's still at
> the Division 1 level. Tigers own this guy.
>
> 2. Mystery man number 2 has won only 51% of his games
> in his first 12 years. He's been up and down and
> mostly very much middle of the road going....8-3,
> 4-7, 7-4,9-2,7-3,7-4, 2-9, 3-8,6-4, 6-5, 5-6, 2-8.
> What a joke. He's got a two TWO win season, a three
> win season and a four win season. He must still be
> living off that one 9 game winner.
>
> 3. Mystery hot seat coach number 3 went a LONG way on
> the strength of ONE spectacular 11-1 season. I guess
> that let him survivie that 1-9 disaster. His record
> through 12 years? 6-2-1,7-3,
> 8-3,5-3-2,9-3,11-1,8-4,5-4-2,7-2-1, 1-9, 8-3 and
> 5-4-1. It's a respectable but not guady 64% of games
> won record. One louser in 12 isn't really too bad
> and that 62% is about like Ole Hot seat Tommy at
> Clemson. Anyone name this guy?
>
> 4. Mystery man number four only has 11 seasons and
> he's rung up two losers and a bunch of 8 game
> winners. It is a respectable 67% of games won, sort
> of like Tommy Bowden's 65% through 10 years but some
> of those games came at a lower level. Beats me why
> this guy stays in the game at all.
>
> 5. Coach Five is a newcomer. He's only been in the
> game for 7 total years. He has put up two nine game
> winners but what I notice most is all the SIXES.
> With a record of 9-2,6-5,6-6,7-5,6-6,9-2 and 8-4, he
> e doesn't look like he'll ever get to top dollar does
> he? You wouldn't really expect that 62% winning
> percentage to pay big, would you. I say fire this
> guy.
>
> I'm not really suggesting we compare Tommy Bowden to
> Mack Brown, Frank Beamer, Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden
> or Nick Saban, but the numbers are interesting to me.
> Perhaps we aren't the kind of fans and this isn't
> t the kind of time that a fellow can start off just a
> bit slowly and still be a big winner. I dunno about
> us.
>
> Tommy Bowden's been coaching ten years. He's never
> had a loser and he's won 65% of his games. I guess a
> lot of guys with that sort of record spend time on
> the hot seat.
>
> Harley

Harley - the greatest post ever on Tigernet! Please send your message to Bart Wright.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Posted to ESPN comments under article....(link)

Aug 10, 2007, 1:14 AM

http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id=2967204&status=ok

Thanks Harley.

post of the day, down time, season, year, decade!! well put!***

Aug 9, 2007, 9:34 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome post! A few more of these just might save

Aug 9, 2007, 9:39 PM

tigernet from all the blasphemers that have taken over.

Aug 9, 2007, 9:39 PM

I appreciate this info. Its very good. It shows that while there is a such thing as a hot seat often times it is stupid and based on unrealistic expectations. Man I for one don't give a #### about a hot seat. We are the second coming of VT but better IMO. If we act reasonably as a fan base and administration we are sitting on a gold mine.

There are people trying to put pressure on TB and pressure on TDP to make a move. Think about all the questions over the years and TB has turned it into top recruiting classes. He and his staff have not backed down and I know people don't want to hear it but we are so close. Regardless of what happens I think we have the right staff. Dabo didn't leave, coach west, and others that had chances to go. There is something goin on over here and I cant wait for it to jump of.

The only good thing about the hot seat is that everybody will be watching us expecting the negative and BOOM!!! It will happen. ACC Champs! Tommy hears all the talk and I don't think it bothers him. This is being blown way out of proportion.

If you don't feel it then just go over and look at our freshman, redshirt freshman and sophomores and you will see what I am talking about.

Alpha...VT not quite the second coming of CU

Aug 10, 2007, 9:50 AM

From 1978-1992, Clemson ranked 8th in the country in winning percentage (.75714), we won 7 conference and one national title, and went 7-3 in our bowls.

From 1993-2006, VT ranked 7th in winning percentage (.75862), but the Hokies only went 6-8 in bowls, they only won 5 conference titles and they failed in their only legitimate shot at a national title.

VT is not quite the second coming of Clemson. We do NOT aim to be as good as VT. We expect to be better.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post Harley. I feel TB finds himself on the "hot seat"

Aug 9, 2007, 9:40 PM

because of not gettin' over the "hump." Hump, being not ever playing for a conference title in 9 years. Does that mean he's a bad coach? Absolutely not. He's accomplished a lot of good things here. If he gets fired, it will be because of him, not fans on a message board, media, etc...And those stats will not factor into the decision if he is fired.

Re: Good post Harley. I feel TB finds himself on the "hot s

Aug 9, 2007, 9:44 PM

Good point. some people don't even believe the hot seat exists, lol. The proverbial hump you speak of has been a pain in my #### but i really feel like we will get it. I thought we were going to get it with Charlie but there were too many other issues unseen. Now is the time. The next two years will be a very good beginning to a long run. I even thought honestly that last year would be the beginning but horrible luck and among others doomed us. We have the proper depth and talent now i believe.

So it begins.........

He has really, really increased the talent pool in the

Aug 9, 2007, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Good post Harley. I feel TB finds himself on the "hot seat" ]

last 3 years since the WEZ got underway. That fact is easily support by the fact that we have only 9 scholarship seniors on the team this year.

People can say what they want, but we are just now getting the talent back to where we can play on a national scale. We had some great players that carried the team pretty far like Woody, but those were not deep and talented teams.. especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Now that we are finally getting the players that we need we can see what Tommy is really able to accomplish. The next couple years are really put up or shut up time.

Re: this post needs to spread like wildfire******

Aug 9, 2007, 10:02 PM

Re: this post needs to spread like wildfire******

Aug 9, 2007, 10:05 PM

Let us get this to Bart Wright. Also to Larry Williams.

Helluva post. We don't always realize how good we have it.

Aug 9, 2007, 10:16 PM

Fans have always been and always will be fickle. And it's not just with coaches. I can remember usc fans being so grateful that Phil Petty was done. A year later, they were lamenting what could have been had he been there for one more year. To some extent the same thing goes for Charlie Whitehurst. There were many that appreciated what he did but felt Will Proctor would be twice the QB.

Sometimes our expectations don't coincide with reality.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How good we have it?...lol

Aug 9, 2007, 10:24 PM

Compared to who? Prairie View?

Well played, sir***

Aug 9, 2007, 10:37 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice post, Harley- Should be a petition signed by about 100k

Aug 9, 2007, 11:08 PM

of us and sent to all SC media outlets along with ESPN and all the networks.

Aug 9, 2007, 11:09 PM

one of the best posts ever.

I agree.....excellent post.....GO TIGERS!!!!!!***

Aug 9, 2007, 11:35 PM

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Aug 10, 2007, 10:05 AM

Harley, thanks for the best post I've seen in a long time. In today's age of instant gratification people are always looking to just start over, roll the dice and hope you get lucky with the next coach. Is it possible, yes, but compare it to people who try to lose weight. They will do anything, magic pills which allow you to sit on the couch and watch TV and lose weight, crazy diets that seem to go against all nutritional sense, to even having surgery to remove the fat. All these things offer the possibility of instant results only to leave you where you started or worse off later in time. When the only proven method with consistent results is a change in lifestyle which will provide steady gains over time. (Hmmm, see a parallel there.)

Just an analogy that popped into my mind, it seems to me the improvement of our program over the last 10 years is obvious, we are on the up trend and have yet to peak. I'd say we are mediocre to a little above at this point but at our current rate of improvement I really don't see us staying here for long. I guess what is so obvious to me is hard form some who measure championships as the only sign of improvement to see. In my investments I don't accept mediocrity over time, yet I accept passing through it as a reality for something with a starting point well below. Wow, writing definitely isn't my strong point but hopefully there were a few points for all to consider throughout that ramble.

Regardless of your position on Bowden, it's time for everyone to unite and back this team. Go Tigers

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic