Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Bowden is doing a good job.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Why Bowden is doing a good job.

Jun 16, 2007, 7:27 PM

I can fondly remember my absolute favorite game I ever watched. It was the Clemson vs. Miami game in 2004. We Had a losing record, Miami was ranked 10th, and we were playing in Miami. It was a late night game, and Me, even at a young age of 14, felt like we had no chance of winning the game. I was even more assured we'd lose when it became 17-3 at the half. Somehow, even though we didn't have the most amazing offensive performance in that game, we found a way to win by taking advatage of our oppourtunities, an excelent fake field goal, and Reggie Merriweather's strong running with a purpose. A purpose of raising this program from the depths of expecting to lose some games, to the way we were this year, where before every game this year I expected to win. No longer are the years where NC. State beats us by 30 at death valley, and the only points we score are off an extremely lucky muffed kickoff retrun by Justin Miller. No longer are the days where all the freshmen are redshirted. No longer are the days where one injury kills the team, it takes 12 now. I would rather have a chance at every game and lose 4 or 5 any year instead of winning the games against the creamcakes, and one miracle win against a team that isn't even in the top 10 sometimes. Bowden has raised this team up, and he has given us a foundation to build on. And I think this is the year, where we take it to the next level. Maybe not even win the ACC championship, but I definately think we get there. This is a rebuilding year, and still people are excited, that never would have happened in 2004. We have only 8 scholarship seniors, and we think we're going to win the ACC. But whats even more impressive than that, is that we could win it. We expect to win it, and I believe it will happen.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are going to get beat up pretty bad for your comments

Jun 16, 2007, 7:31 PM

but they are good ones and I hope all of the unobjective whiners will go away (even though I know they will not). It is not even football season and they are stirring up animosity, anger, etc.
Go Tigers!

Well......

Jun 16, 2007, 7:33 PM

it'd be stupid to fire bowden now that he's finally getting good recruiting classes that didn't start happening until the '05 class........let's see what he can do with talent then make a decision in about 2 years..(end of '08)which should as a rule be the most talented team he's ever had.

Re: Why Bowden is doing a good job.

Jun 16, 2007, 7:34 PM

Great Post! I think a lot agree, but a lot of people wish we were here a couple years back.

Only a few more months and we crush the noles

Re: Why Bowden is doing a good job.

Jun 17, 2007, 12:11 AM

Puhahahha, this year we should dominate with everyone healthy we would've dominated last year.
We should keep bowden and give Spence/Koenig a seven year multi-million dollar extensions.

Just imagine when Koenning gets kids quick enough to play that zone and Dlinemen that bring pressure with just four. Try to throw into that zone with Crezdon, McDaniel, and Maxwell sitting on your routes while Sapp & Bowers are bearing down on you, yeah right.

Try loading up against the run and going man/man against the fasted man on the planet on the outside, good luck.

I can't wait to be under rated all year. And I can't wait to go into Columbia and show them what Class really looks like in person.

Can't wait for Labor Day...

Oh, and just imagine for a second what recruiting looks like when we do make the BCS and win and the zone is finished.

Yeah, fire Bowden, he only built an absolute Gem out of what Hatfield neglected for five years...we're money, just be patient you spares.

D

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Repeat after me...paragraphs***

Jun 16, 2007, 7:41 PM

what is those?

Jun 16, 2007, 7:45 PM

just kidding, it's just i hate paragraphs, when i type, it's all one big thought proccess

just randomly hit enter once or twice

Jun 16, 2007, 8:10 PM

while typing. Makes it easier on all of us ;)

GO TIGERS

I don't see how that makes it easier

Jun 16, 2007, 8:19 PM

unless you are refering to on the eyes

yep a wall of text hurts my eyes I dont care if your

Jun 16, 2007, 8:29 PM

transition from paragraph to paragraph make any sense at all I would just like to see some kinda break in there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Is this what you had in mind?

Jun 16, 2007, 8:34 PM [ in reply to just randomly hit enter once or twice ]

I can fondly remember my absolute favorite game I ever watched. It was the Clemson vs. Miami game in 2004. We Had a losing record, Miami was

ranked 10th, and we were playing in Miami. It was a late night game, and Me, even at a young age of 14, felt like we had no chance of winning the game. I was even more assured we'd lose when it became 17

-3 at the half. Somehow, even though we didn't have the most amazing offensive performance in that game, we found a way to win by taking advatage of our oppourtunities, an excelent fake field goal, and Reggie Merriweather's strong running with a purpose. A purpose of raising this program from the depths of expecting to lose some games, to the way we were this year, where before every game this year I expected to win. No longer are the years where NC. State beats u

s by 30 at death valley, and the only points we score are off an extremely lucky muffed kickoff retrun by Justin Miller. No longer are the days where all the freshmen are redshirted. No longer are the days where one injury kills the team, it takes 12 now. I would rather have a chance at every game and lose 4 or 5 any year instead of winning the games against the creamcakes, and

one miracle win against a team that isn't even in the top 10 sometimes. Bowden has raised this team up, and he has given us a foundation to build on. And I think this is the year, where we take it to the next level. Maybe not even win the ACC championship, but I definately think we get there.

This is a rebuilding year, and still people are excited, that never would have happened in 2004. We have only 8 scholarship seniors, and we think we're going to win the ACC. But whats even more impressive than that, is that we could win it. We expect to win it, and I believe it will happen.

there is a button between space and backslash its your

Jun 16, 2007, 8:01 PM

friend

null

even though im being a smart ### I agree with your post 100%***

Jun 16, 2007, 8:04 PM

null

Nice observations. I'm with you.

Jun 16, 2007, 8:20 PM

Like everyone else, I want more wins, a conference title and a BCS bowl or two or three.

That said, I agree with your post and your optimism.

GO TIGERS!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're too young to know how different things can be.***

Jun 16, 2007, 9:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ding....Ding....Ding..........We have a winner

Jun 16, 2007, 9:31 PM

This is exactly what I was thinking. Even though I cant remember the early 80's, I can vividly remember seeing Major Harris's career end right in front of me one night.

I'm old enough to know how REALLY different things are...

Jun 16, 2007, 9:46 PM [ in reply to You're too young to know how different things can be.*** ]

and I like what he says.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We all know what opinions are like

Jun 16, 2007, 9:55 PM

You are free to think how you want, but Bowden has proven that he cant effectively gameplan or motivate against inferior competition. He has also proven that he can not make in game adjustments.

Thank you very much...

Jun 16, 2007, 10:11 PM

many would argue that he has proven in his 8 years that there have been games where he can gameplan and make adjustments.

He has proven your argument in your mind. I by no means think he's the greatest coach in the world, but I surely don't think he's even close to the worst in Clemson recent history. The ACC is a totally differnt animal than it was in Ford's era and when it began to change, Clemson did nothing to change with it until Bowden's hire.

We could go on and on and on. But we'd waste our breath. You know what they say about opinions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm old enough to remember tommy west

Jun 16, 2007, 10:13 PM [ in reply to You're too young to know how different things can be.*** ]

and i've been to over 200 games including all the bowl games after the 99 peach bowl, aswell as went to BC this past year

Tommy West? my lord he was way back in the last

Jun 16, 2007, 10:15 PM

century..Did we have flush toilets back then???

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

What are these "flush toilets" you speak of?***

Jun 16, 2007, 10:17 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Have only heard of them******

Jun 16, 2007, 10:18 PM

Orange Googlers Unite

Heard of what?***

Jun 16, 2007, 10:22 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Flush Toilets & Tommy West******

Jun 16, 2007, 10:23 PM

Orange Googlers Unite

Flush toilets of course***

Jun 16, 2007, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Heard of what?*** ]

I wasn't saying it was a long time ago, i was saying it was

Jun 16, 2007, 10:18 PM [ in reply to What are these "flush toilets" you speak of?*** ]

a miserable time to be a tiger fan

TW vs. TB is about a wash for me.

Jun 16, 2007, 11:30 PM

Yes, TB has done a little better all around. No losing seasons and several "big" wins(plus some embarassing losses). But we still haven't sniffed an ACC title in more than 15 years. The BCS is still a pipe dream.

In my opinion, TW was much better with fans and the media. He was a genuine, likeable guy (I'm only speaking for me) and the even though he was perhaps too much a of "player's coach" the players did truly like him. What you saw was what you got. I think that's a big part of why they like him in Memphis.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This may cause me to get a beating but...

Jun 16, 2007, 9:28 PM

I believe Bowden will be at Clemson a long time after Spurrier leaves S.C. and I believe his tenure will be regarded as more successful than Spurriers. Clemson was the better coached team in their first meeting. We were just flat out played this past game. I don't think Spurrier's game plan was that much better than the Tiger's. However; if motivating the players is part of job, then Spurrier did have the edge. I don't know if we'll have a 10 win season or challenge for the conference title,this year but I do believe the tigers will win in Columbia. And I believe this is the beginning of what we've all been waiting and hopeing for.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

at 1.5 mil a year, how long do you wait?***

Jun 16, 2007, 9:34 PM

Until we can afford this??...

Jun 16, 2007, 9:39 PM

that is not that much compared to others....

Coaching salaries, as compiled via various sources and news reports:
(as of January 5, 2007)

Rank School Name Annual Inc.
1 Alabama Nick Saban $4,000,000
2 Oklahoma Bob Stoops $3,400,000
3 Notre Dame Charlie Weis $3,300,000
4 Southern California Pete Carroll $3,000,000
5 Iowa Kirk Ferentz $2,840,000
6 Texas Mack Brown $2,664,000
7 Louisville Bobby Petrino $2,500,000
8 Ohio State Jim Tressel $2,450,000
9 Auburn Tommy Tuberville $2,231,000
10 Tennessee Philip Fulmer $2,050,000
11 Texas A&M Dennis Franchione $2,012,200
12 Virginia Tech Frank Beamer $2,000,800
13 Florida Urban Meyer $2,000,000
14 Penn State Joe Paterno $2,000,000
15 North Carolina Butch Davis $1,860,000
16 Virginia Al Groh $1,785,000
17 South Carolina Steve Spurrier $1,750,000
18 West Virginia Rich Rodriguez $1,750,000
19 Georgia Mark Richt $1,713,000
20 Florida State Bobby Bowden $1,691,900
21 Maryland Ralph Friedgen $1,691,864
22 Nebraska Bill Callahan $1,690,317
23 Texas Tech Mike Leach $1,600,000
24 California Jeff Tedford $1,505,300
25 Kansas Mark Mangino $1,501,241
26 Michigan Lloyd Carr $1,454,619
27 LSU Les Miles $1,450,000
28 Washington Ty Willingham $1,414,772
29 Oregon Mike Bellotti $1,256,000
30 Fresno State Pat Hill $1,253,982
31 Illinois Ron Zook $1,241,750
32 Purdue Joe Tiller $1,217,742
33 Clemson Tommy Bowden $1,198,028

http://www.dopke.com/Archives_Pages/Coaching_Changes/DIACoachesComp2006.htm

Looks like we are getting what we pay for.***

Jun 16, 2007, 9:48 PM

Looks like UF has a bargain on their hands***

Jun 16, 2007, 9:50 PM

Re: Until we can afford this??...

Jun 16, 2007, 11:52 PM [ in reply to Until we can afford this??... ]

Wow....pretty eye opening....those are some excellent $$$$ reasons to keep Bowden. I'm all for Bowden. I was at Clemson between 2001 (National Title) and 2005 and was a big Ford fan....but Ford didn't have FSU, VT, Miami, and BC to deal with. He pretty much had guaranteed wins over Duke, Wake, and until the very end of his tenure, Virgina. Add to that the normal out of conference wins, and NC State, I don't recall, being a power house. That left UNC, Maryland, and G Tech to contend with. Knock on wood, we haven't been getting our rears whooped like a few years ago, we compete every game, our players stay out of trouble (fingers crossed) and they graduate. I'm pretty darn proud of our program. GO TIGERS!

Here's the difference...

Jun 17, 2007, 1:15 AM

Danny Ford's ACC (1979-1989)...

1. Clemson 96-29-4 (.760)
2. Maryland 70-55-3 (.559)
3. North Carolina 69-55-3 (.555)
4. Virginia 61-62-2 (.496)
5. N.C. State 59-63-2 (.484)
6. Georgia Tech* 35-40-3 (.468)
7. Wake Forest 54-66-2 (.451)
8. Duke 49-71-2 (.410)
*GT didn't enter the ACC until 1983

These are overall records in and out of conference. This doesn't take anything away from Danny Ford, he was a great coach, but the fact that the second best team during his era was 200 points below him in winning percentage spells weak conference. There were only 3 teams with winning percentages above .500.

During these 11 years, Clemson won 5 ACC titles. Second was Maryland with 3, (Bobby Ross won 3 in the 5 years he was Maryland coach). This conference was weak enough for Spurrier to win an ACC title with Duke in 1989 (split with Virginia).

We can ignore the fact that FSU came in and took our seat and won 9 straight ACC titles. We can ignore the fact that we did nothing to improve our placement under 9 years of Hatfield/West and equate our current situation to theirs. It's much easier to be sarcastic than to talk about facts.

Add to FSU - BC, VT, and Miami and I don't think it's much of a stretch to say the ACC is tougher today. I agree with your assessment.

I guess since I want to look at these statistics to make a judgement means I want to lose and think that 8 wins is good (and there's my sarcasm).

I wish I could give you 1000 points for that

Jun 17, 2007, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Until we can afford this??... ]

It's also how Alabama ended up in the situation they were in last year. Everybody wants to fire the coach, but then you have to hire the new one.

I think some people would try to hire dead people, they are so unaware of the current landscape.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

1.5 mil a year really isnt that much when you look at the

Jun 16, 2007, 9:40 PM [ in reply to at 1.5 mil a year, how long do you wait?*** ]

pay of other coaches

null

8 wins really is not that much in a 14 game season***

Jun 16, 2007, 9:45 PM

it's not that many for a 16 game season, but

Jun 16, 2007, 9:56 PM

we haven't played one of those either. Just saying.

I was hypothetically using the maximum amount of

Jun 16, 2007, 10:05 PM

games we could play

How can you debate hypotheticals?

Jun 16, 2007, 10:22 PM

I have honestly tried in my own mind to see Bowden as the horrible coach. I have studied pages and pages of statistics and Clemson history and comparatively speaking in terms of Clemson coaches, he looks like one of the better ones to me.

Again, my opinion.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic