Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Memories of the '70's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 157

Memories of the '70's

May 4, 2004, 12:09 PM

My first Clemson game is something I do not remember. It was back in the late '60's and I am not even sure who we played or if we won. I think I was around five or six years old. What I remember about it is that it rained....and rained....and then, it rained! The first game that I really remember going to was on October 13, 1973. It was against Virginia and I was 11 by this time and the reason that I remember the date so well is because I still have the stub.

I still love the way these older tickets look. 1973 was my brothers freshman year at Clemson and he lived on B-5 in the old tin-cans. To me that was always the BEST place to live on campus. We would walk around campus on Game Saturdays and it seemed that everyone in Johnstone was either listening to the “Fox” out of Gainesville, Ga or some other “cool” album that I would have to track down. Years later when I was a student there I made the mistake of living off campus and have regretted it ever since. My biggest downfall here is the fact that I was living maybe 70 yards from Tiger Town Tavern on Earle St. (I think)…. Oops!! (But this story will be part of the ‘80’s)

Our family went to almost all home games from the 1973 season on. We had family in the area (other than my brother) and we would often drive up Saturday morning before a game and stay until Sunday to go to church with my cousin’s family.

Looking at that ticket from the UVA game in ’73 reminds me of something that I mentioned on here yesterday…. My cousin worked at the University and his kids were close to my age. We would use whatever pass was available to get in the gate. I even remember a few games where we used “field passes”…. It didn’t matter because we still sat on the hill…. Even with the “Presidents Box” ticket above, we were still on the hill, but that was fine because we had a ball!

There were other games in other years but some always remained more firmly fixed in my memory…

I don’t really know why the hype seemed more intense before the 1974 season. Mark Fellers ended up being our QB after Ken Pengitore graduated. We DID have Ben Cunningham coming back and at 6’5”, 252 lbs, he was bigger and taller than anyone else on the O-line. 1975 and 1976 were hard seasons to live through for Tiger fans but it always seemed to me that the 1974 team gave us all a glimpse of what the Tigers could do and who they could compete with. This team went 7-4 with rare HOME victories against Ga Tech and UGA

Many times at the end of the games we would head from the hill to where my parents were sitting... at this time they would use tickets that were just outside the door to the presidents box. OICU812 has told me before that he a other local “Clemson” kids would often sit under the stairs to the Old press box so we may have seen each other at times over the years. After the UGA game of 1974, my parents decided that we were not going to stay in Clemson that night but that we were going to drive to visit family in Georgia that we had not seen in a while…. Hmmmm…we had just beaten UGA and were going to visit UGA fans in our family…. How sweet is that!!!

Through most of the ‘70’s the stadium had no upper decks. I understand the economics behind the additions, but I have to say that part of my youth was left behind when the stadium started expanding. The stadium I remember only held about 43,500 and it was not always full. But it ALWAYS seemed loud!!

This is probably from the S. Carolina game in 1976 (I think). The next time we would play USC at home, there would be the addition of the South Upper Deck. It didn’t have the seats yet so the fans up there just sat on the concrete.

1977 was a good year for Tiger football and then, the next season the Tigers did something that I had never experienced before….. back to back winning season’s….. with a bowl game tagged on the end of each of them!!! These, to me were the season’s that laid the ground work for the NC run. This is where Tiger Football started to get some national recognition. The ’79 season was yet another winning season and high school graduation was just around the corner in 1980.

And now….. ah….the ‘80’s…..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ticket was vs. Virginia. We won.

May 4, 2004, 12:12 PM

It took a long time for the Hoos to beat us.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nice post

May 4, 2004, 12:16 PM

it wouldn't happen to be an unabashed attempt at gaining points would it? :)

This brings back the memories...............................

May 4, 2004, 12:36 PM

I rarely missed a home game while in high scool (late 70s)and never in college(early 80s). I grew up in Central so it was pretty easy to get over there by hitching a ride. I got in on my older brother's student ticket while I was in high school. We go early and walk thru the parking lots talking with the tailgaters, you wouldn't believe how much food and beer people would give us.

Re: Clemson in the '70's

May 4, 2004, 1:05 PM

Great post - it really brings back the memories. I too was 11 years old in 1973, and that same Virginia game was one of my first games as well. Also, I have many of the same old ticket stubs from the 1970's and 1980's. I also have a 1974 "Undefeated Home Season" commemorative Pepsi bottle, as well as a 1981 National Champions Coke bottle and a Clemson Orange Soda can from that year as well.
Good stuff - thanks for an enjoyable trip down Memory Lane.

Nice job.***

May 4, 2004, 1:20 PM

Great job! Now I can add two more DV pics to my collection.***

May 4, 2004, 1:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I especially like Tiger Band's formation in the 4th pic.

May 4, 2004, 2:35 PM

We cannot get drill like that now since it is no longer created at Clemson. Alas, Dr. Spede is too good to write drill and hires outside people.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I especially like Tiger Band's formation in the 4th pic.

May 4, 2004, 3:27 PM

Nice classic picks.

I would kill for that stub....1 week prior to my birth.***

May 4, 2004, 3:36 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember that Virginia game because it was that weekend

May 4, 2004, 6:56 PM

I met my wife on a blind date. We will have been married 30 years this June 23.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 157
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic