Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What a difference a decade makes:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,027

What a difference a decade makes:

May 22, 2006, 5:53 AM

I'll have to admit it. I get keyed up every year about this time. I try to contain myself and approach each year with a "cautious optimism". But when you look at the team we are going to put on the field this year, it's hard to hold back.

We are getting hyped by most if not all of the pre-season publications. ESPN's Ivan Maisel has us at #11. Athlon Sports has us at #12. Lindy's has us at #18. Most have us picked to win 10 games, the ACC, and maybe even go to BCS bowl.

I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about the similarities of this team to the teams we fielded in the late 80's. Those teams were defined first and foremost by a dominating defense, followed by a great backfield. We never had explosive offenses that threw the ball - we mostly ran the ball and relied on our defense to keep us in the game, giving us good field position.

Is that not exactly what we have now? The best part of this year's team should be the defense and we will run the ball a whole lot. With our offensive line combined with Davis, Spiller, and Merriweather, we should be able to control the game.

One thing that I remember about the teams in the late 80's was that no matter WHO we played that week - I always felt like we were going to win. Then came the Hatfield/West years where you would just look at the schedule and automatically mark down the FSU game as a loss. We went from beating them in '89 in Tallahassee to the game becoming a "laugher" under Hatfield/West - just hoping to keep it respectable. In less than 4 years we went from winning at FSU to losing by more than 50. It became painfully obvious how far ahead of us they had gone in just a very short time. Now we have beaten them 2 out the last 3 years, we beat Miami in their house, and we beat the 6th ranked Vols in the Peach Bowl - 3 top 10 wins in as many years.

It has taken us over ten years to get back to the point where once again I feel that we can win every game. I am not going to sit here and predict an ACC championship, BCS bowl, undefeated season, or a national title. But I feel a realistic goal this year is 10 wins.

Thank you Tommy Bowden for bringing us back to that point.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said.********

May 22, 2006, 6:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Good coaches win right away".. ;^)***

May 22, 2006, 8:23 AM

when they have the talent they do -

May 22, 2006, 8:27 AM

like Stoops and Coker -

but both of those had more succes in their first 2-3 years than they have recently

IMO - Larry Coker will be gone after this year

A loss would ruin my weekend growing up - Hatfield cured me***

May 22, 2006, 7:07 AM

I get giddy just thinking about it!!!***

May 22, 2006, 8:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

I'm very happy that Clemson, and TDP, did the smart thing

May 22, 2006, 8:55 AM

in keeping Bowden around.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was very surprissed knowing the wt TAC carries.***

May 22, 2006, 8:57 AM

me too - and this is interesting

May 22, 2006, 9:08 AM [ in reply to I'm very happy that Clemson, and TDP, did the smart thing ]

I know everybody always says they have an "inside source" or whatever - But here's what I know about what went down in 2003

I have an uncle who is a retired from Clemson - he was the Dean of a Major Dept - you know the Clemson license plates that everybody has -this dude has one that is single digit and lives on the Walker course.

Anyway - I saw him one night in Nov 2003 at a basketball game after we had beaten FSU, Duke, and SC to close out the season. He said that before the FSU game Tommy's lawyers were already in negotiations with TDP about a buyout. Said Bowden went from a man who was certain to be gone to a man who was calling the shots. It was a great story.

I'll admit that after the Wake loss I was ready to help him pack myself - and that was the ONLY time I have faltered in my support for TB. I am glad things have workd out the way they did.

Listen I am not disputing your word or anything but I

May 22, 2006, 9:21 AM

have been arround CU athletics a fairly long time and have heard many of these stories. Maybe your uncle was missled or maybe TB was just covering bases but I really never thought I heard that much about us getting rid of Tommy from the folks that count. Again I am not questioning your uncle but sometimes even some "top" person gets things wrong.

true -all heresay anyway -I'm just glad he's still the coach***

May 22, 2006, 9:26 AM

Except for Gamescocks. They're still 5-6 or 6-5.***

May 22, 2006, 8:59 AM

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,027
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic