Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Guys, about Mays...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Guys, about Mays...

Dec 28, 2005, 10:41 PM

I see several posters getting all over James Mays, saying he let the team and the school down etc., etc. People are saying he didn't try and he should be ashamed and things like that. Well, I'm just curious, where did this information come from?

I haven't seen it written in any reputable source that James knew about his situation and just didn't try. Maybe he just made a mistake. Watching Mays play it certainly looks like he isn't a lazy type of guy. He works his a$$ off every minute he's in the game. He just doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would not put forth an effort.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible James tried as hard as he could and just came up a bit shy? And yes, I know about tutoring and all that, but maybe he just had a course or two that stumped him and he came up short on a final? That's what i would guess anyway. It happens all the time to students from all walks of life, whether it's through their own lack of effort or just not getting it done. Kids can make mistakes.

Maybe I totally missed something and it was reported that James loafed, but I would find that hard to believe watching the guy play. Unless that report exists, I would think it's best to take the high road and assume the kid did the best he could.

Some folks are calling Mays out saying he let the everyone down, how he didn't even try, and stuff like that. To me that sounds like a little bit of resentment and selfishness. Hey I'm upset he's not going to be there either, but I don't think it's a good thing to jump to conclusions. If I missed something please let me know.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can see two sides of this issue....

Dec 28, 2005, 10:46 PM

one, considering all the help available to athletes, I can't see how someone can let himself become ineligible. That being said, if I were in the same place, I wouldn't want to have my academic shortcomings aired in public and debated on public forums. I don't know his situation (and neither need nor want to know it), but to say he didn't try really isn't fair.

You're right, bf...

Dec 28, 2005, 10:50 PM

There are a lot of resources and a guy has every opportunity to succeed. But that doesn't mean he can't fail. One point too is that basketball players are subject to the fall semester. A football player can fall below 2.0 in the spring but make it up in the summer. It happens a good bit. Unfortunately James doesn't have two summer sessions to make it up for this season. Hopefully next year.

Everyone is subject to the fall semester...

Dec 28, 2005, 10:59 PM

it's what kept Bobby Williamson from playing in the bowl game. Granted, it didn't keep him from playing over half the season, but it still cost him the bowl game.

I just know we are in big trouble without him. He was like

Dec 28, 2005, 10:59 PM [ in reply to You're right, bf... ]

our only decent big man and it's already cost us one game of many - tonight.

Re: Guys, about Mays...

Dec 28, 2005, 10:59 PM

I had a class with James this past semester and he never missed a class and seemed to turn things in on time and do his work. I cannot speak for his other classes but that proves that he isn't a lazy student and does try.

So you just proved that he does everything right,

Dec 28, 2005, 11:35 PM

but he is just stupid?

you cant convince me that if he did everything he could to pass that he wouldnt have passed..

Some people try as hard as they can and still end up

Dec 28, 2005, 11:39 PM

on academic probation.

Nobody knows the story behind the story, but I think citing Mays' attitude and work ethic on the court go a long way towards making an estimate about his work ethic in general.

no they dont...

Dec 28, 2005, 11:50 PM

we just 100% completly totally disagree...

you cannot try with everything you have and still end up on academic probation...you just cant...your insulting his intelligence... you think he's an idiot...

he is not.. as a matter of fact from the way he carries himself and the type of basketball IQ he has, he appears to be very intelligent..

I am very much questioning his work ethic..bball obviously comes easy to him and im sure academics do not, but that just means he needs to work twice as hard in the classroom in order to get the job done...

lets be honest with ourselves here... we both know he can do it...he just didnt

Yeah, we totally disagree...

Dec 28, 2005, 11:56 PM

Where you're wrong is that sometimes people do try and still end up on academic probation. That doesn't mean they're "stupid". Happens every semester in fact. Don't know how you can judge his IQ by how he plays basketball, but more power to you. By the same token, how he plays basketball DOES show his level of effort, and I have no reason to believe the classroom is any different. And neither do you. That's as honest as either of us can be about it. No sense filling the blanks with speculation and calling him lazy and all that.

Re: Yeah, we totally disagree...

Dec 29, 2005, 12:02 AM

Im not filling in blanks.. Im calling it like I see it.. you think just because a person plays hard means they work hard?

you insane if you think just because the kid hussles in a game that he hussles academically...

people who have 1/2 of any kind of decent iq, who get into college, through the entire application process, unless they cheated to get in, are very very capable of making the grades if they put up the effort...l

Wondering if OP knew this was coming and why.....

Dec 28, 2005, 11:01 PM

didn't he get him some help when there was a chance to turn it around. I know we don't know exactly what happened or what effort he put forth but there has to be accountability for him. He is accountable to his teammates and I believe OP is accountable to him. I played D1 baseball and I know my coach was all over our grades and making sure we got the necessary help if needed. So I'm just wondering how much did OP know about his grades. Just imagine the shame that he must feel now walking around campus facing students knowing how smart he is. Effort. Like my dad used to tell me. If you fail in school it's because you didn't have the desire or just lacked the effort to succeed. He knew what the problem was, it just seems he didn't care to get the extra help he needed.

FWIW, OP said tonight it took him by surprise.***

Dec 28, 2005, 11:06 PM

Someone dropped the ball if it caught him by

Dec 28, 2005, 11:12 PM

surprise. The coaching staff show know how a player is performing in the classroom 24-7.

I agree, Uttles. It took me by surprise to hear OP say that.***

Dec 28, 2005, 11:16 PM

I agree. OP should never be surprised by academics of

Dec 28, 2005, 11:23 PM [ in reply to Someone dropped the ball if it caught him by ]

any player. Someone on the staff should be aware of all of the player's classroom progress.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So your saying He is stupid...

Dec 28, 2005, 11:33 PM

Man If you cant see this then you blind...

I know its "pc" to feel sorry for people and give them the benefit of the doubt but I think your nutz in this situation if you do that...

as I said earlier if he has a learning disability then Clemson university failed this oung man by not recognizing it and getting him the help he needs,,, but other than that situation this is ALL james mayes fault..

and yes he is lazy... I dont care if you hussle all over the bball court... he is a student first athlete second.. and you cant tell me that this young man is stupid.. cause that what your saying.. your saying he is not smart enough and I just font believe that...

I know he can do it.. I know he is smart enough... you say how do I know? because he got into Clemson to begin with.. he couldnt get in at all if he couldnt read...James will tell you he can do it...

he did let the team down.. he did let his coaches down.. he did let the fans down...

C'mon man, that's asinine...

Dec 28, 2005, 11:45 PM

There's a chance he tried as hard as he could and failed. It happens all the time... but I sure as heck ain't calling the kid "stupid". It has nothing to do with feeling sorry for the him or any of that. You don't know a single thing about his efforts in the classroom. Calling him "lazy" in spite of not knowing a thing makes you look bad. Maybe he tried hard and failed. It happens. He didn't let anyone down but himself if that's the case. Like you said though, maybe the time away from basketball will free up time he can put towards school. I hope like heck to see him back. He is a huge loss.

Re: C'mon man, that's asinine...

Dec 28, 2005, 11:52 PM

thats just bull ####...

people lie to themselves and to you if you think they try and give it everything they have and still dont pass a basic college course...

if he tried as hard as he can and still failed then he has absolutely no business whatsoever being at any college at all much less Clemson...

people do not give it their all and still fail..

he is not stupid.. he has a year under his belt and did just fine last year... he has shown the capability to do the work.. this time he didnt..but dont tell me the kid is stupid.. he could have done it..

No, you're making things up to suit you...

Dec 28, 2005, 11:59 PM

You're "lying" to yourself by saying he was lazy. You also don't know anything about how he did last year. I'm saying we have no idea, therefore we should give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Every single semester students who tried don't make it. Every single one. They're not necessarily stupid people. Hopefully he can get back on course.

Re: C'mon man, that's asinine...

Dec 28, 2005, 11:54 PM [ in reply to C'mon man, that's asinine... ]

btw he did let someone down besides himself.. if you dontr think he let his parents his teammates and coaches and fans down then your just wrong..

he let this fan down..

if you think me calling him lazy makes me look bad I think you saying he tried as hard as he could and was not smart enough would make him feel much much much much worse than me saying he is lazy..

im saying he's lazy and could have done it.. your saying he tried as hard as he could and wasnt smart enough..

which is worse?

Nope...

Dec 29, 2005, 12:01 AM

If he tried as hard as he could and just didn't make it, then he hasn't let anyone down. Folks might be disappointed, but that's not the same as "letting them down". I'm disappointed that he won't be with us, but I'm not so selfish to say he let me down without knowing the facts.

Re: Nope...

Dec 29, 2005, 12:03 AM

no he let me down

I choose not to believe the kid is stupid...

if he tried as hard as he could and didnt make the grades then he doesnt belong in college anywhere..

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic