Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To correct something on the "Donor Board"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1

To correct something on the "Donor Board"

Jul 4, 2004, 1:33 AM

Tyler Lumsden has already made his professional debut. He's pitched in 2 games (1 a start) and has an ERA of 5.40 in 6.2 innings pitched. Collin Mahoney made his debut last week and gave up 2 earned runs in 2/3 of any inning, for an ERA of 27.00 He's pitched again since then and it's down to 19+. Just thought I'd offer some clarification.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, it came from me not checking the date on the article

Jul 4, 2004, 1:50 AM

The article was from MLB.com, announcing Lumsden's first start, which was said to be happening Saturday - too bad the article was from last week, and as such was referring to last Saturday.

It has since been corrected, and this article details his performance.

Warthogs win, not Lumsden

By Katrina Waugh | The Roanoke Times
katrina.waugh@roanoke.com 981-3127

It was hardly the best game Tyler Lumsden has pitched at Salem Memorial Baseball Stadium.

"I wish I could've done better," he said.

It was a common sentiment on Friday, when the Salem Avalanche and the Winston-Salem Warthogs combined for seven errors.

At least Lumsden's team got a win. Though the former Cave Spring High School star struggled in his first appearance in Salem since signing a million-dollar contract with the Chicago White Sox, the Warthogs beat the Avalanche 10-4.

"It wasn't one of our better games," Avalanche manager Russ Nixon said.

Lumsden, who was the 34th pick in last month's major-league amateur draft, has plenty of experience pitching in Salem from his high school and American Legion days. He even pitched here the past two seasons for Clemson in the ACC tournament.

"I'm comfortable here," Lumsden said. "I was trying not to be nervous and do what I'm capable of."

It was the 21-year-old left-hander's third appearance for the Warthogs. He struck out three in two scoreless innings of relief against the Frederick Keys on June 21, then allowed four runs on three walks and four hits in 4 2/3 innings in a start against Wilmington on June 26.

He started again Friday but lasted only 3 2/3 innings. The Avalanche (4-3) scored four runs off him, two of them earned, on eight hits and two walks. He struck out three batters.

The biggest difference between college and high-A minor-league ball, Lumsden said, is "the hitters."

"They get better and better as you go up," Lumsden said. "You learn by going out there and pitching to them. If you make a mistake, they're going to hit it."

Lumsden allowed a single in the first inning and a walk in the second without have too much trouble. But with two outs in the third, Salem speedster Josh Anderson beat out an infield single to kick off a run of five straight hits.

"I kept thinking just make three good pitches, or even one, and I'm out of this jam, but it didn't happen," Lumsden said.

Two runs scored, putting Salem ahead 2-1, before Mark Saccomanno was thrown out at the plate trying to score from second on a single by Ryan Kochen.

With one out in the third, Ryan Stegall reached on a bunt single and stole second. John Helquist walked. Reinaldo Ruiz reached on an error by shortstop Andy Gonzalez. Anderson flied out, then Wade Robinson, who went 3-for-5, singled to bring Stegall and Helquist home for a 4-1 lead and Lumsden was done.

Scores of family and friends who'd come out to support Lumsden gave the rookie an ovation as he walked of the field with his head hanging.

In the top of the fifth, Lumsden's teammates took him off the hook, scoring four runs on four hits to chase Salem starter Mark McLemore from the game and give the Warthogs a 5-4 lead.

Lumsden said he was grateful that he was drafted and sent to play for a team so near his home. He stayed at the park signing autographs and greeting well-wishers for nearly an hour after the game. Having so many fans didn't make him nervous.

"I think it kind of helped me," Lumsden said.

Note

Infielder Brian Skaug has been called up to Salem from short-season Tri-City, where he'd played in just five games this season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic