Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On the subject of preseason Gamecock Football.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

On the subject of preseason Gamecock Football.

Aug 19, 2005, 2:54 PM

Yeah, yeah, Tiger Board, all we do is talk about the Gamecocks, etc. Blah, blah, blah.

I want to try to explain a few things about the Tiger (and Gamecock) psyche as it applies to our rivalry in football.

1) Why Clemson fans are always going on about how much better Clemson is in football: Because we are, and because large numbers of SC fans continue to dispute that while having nothing to back it up except for...

2) The future. As in next year, next coach, next recruiting season. Excuse our skepticism, Gamecocks. You see, it just ain't happened yet. I understand why you want so badly for this to be the guy to lead you into national prominence and put Clemson Football in the rear-view mirror. I get it. 100 and x years later, desperation is starting to set in, and everyone's gotta have hope. But, if I may make a tiny suggestion...

3) Shut up until you've actually done something. Talk about how great Steve Spurrier is once he's won a conference championship at South Carolina. Because truly, winning anything with a program in the condition that yours is in would be quite the accomplishment. No one knows what the future holds. Clemson could win the ACC this year, or come in dead last. There are too many variables for a team such as ours. I know, I know, to combat that Clemson fans are always...

4) Living in the past. But you see what's actually occurred is the only thing that counts. What might occur in the future don't mean squat. Again, I realize that the future is all you have to look towards, because looking back in the past gets you naught but visons of...

5) A losing program. Sure, there have been a few acceptable years here and there, but only one year in your history really stands out. The problem with our Gamecock foes, Tiger Fans, is that they have a very rabid fan base that never gets rewarded for their patronage (at least in the first half) at Williams-Brice. Can you imagine being in their shoes with their history? It's enough to drive anyone...

6) Insane. Which brings us to why you always see these posts from (some) Gamecocks telling us how we're about to be put in the rear-view mirror in terms of football in this state. The insanity clearly causes the affected person to forget football season itself, and only concentrate on media attention, off-season coaching changes, spring games, attendance at spring games, and recruiting battles. The afflicted individual can no longer understand what transpired during the season, and therefore has forgotten that the Gamecocks would need to...

7) Win 26 consecutive games to tie the series with Clemson which going to be very difficult to do, what with their track record of...

8) Not having beaten Clemson in back to back games in 35 years. Fortunately fans like me who are 32 years old have never seen this happen, and have actually only been around for 9 total losses to South Carolina. But can you see, Tiger bretheren, where if you were in their shoes you might have a mental illness when you also consider that...

9) Clemson has won 7 out of the last 8 games and the last two have been by margins so convincing that no one outside of the state wanted to watch the game.

Pandora opened the box in Columbia. All the evil, nasty stuff got out but had trouble crossing the Congaree, so it all stuck around. In the bottom of that box was hope, and that's all the Gamecocks have left. Every now and then something else crawls out of the box, and this time it appeared wearing a visor. So perhaps Mr. Spurrier will bring improvement and glory to South Carolina football - who knows? So hang on to your preseason glory, Gamecocks, hold on to that thin thread of hope. No one can take that from you. It's just that people would respect your fans more if you just wouldn't...

10) Talk #### to that 600 lb anvil as it falls towards your heads each fall. I've never seen a group of fans whose program has accomplished so little talk so much trash to the fans of schools that absolutely OWN them.

This has been a presentation of The Gamecock Excuse Network, a division of Learfield and ISP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's very good. Is it your stuff?***

Aug 19, 2005, 2:59 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my favorite is his Anvil analogy...***

Aug 19, 2005, 3:01 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's all my stuff, EXCEPT that analogy.

Aug 19, 2005, 3:01 PM

That credit goes to MojoRisin, who's much funnier than I am.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very well done... Point.***

Aug 19, 2005, 3:14 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely, you never hear anymore good anvil analogies!***

Aug 19, 2005, 3:24 PM [ in reply to my favorite is his Anvil analogy...*** ]

It's all boulders and safes or pianos these days for sure.***

Aug 19, 2005, 3:41 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard one of their worst, redneck fans

Aug 19, 2005, 3:00 PM

who goes by "dirty coke man" poke fun at UT as he sang rocky top, he said "good ol rocky top, always second in the S-E-C"

they'd give their left giblets to come in second once.

amazing.

absolute genius******

Aug 19, 2005, 3:07 PM

One of the best TNet articles of all time***

Aug 19, 2005, 3:42 PM

Excellent flyingtigerfan.......excellent***

Aug 19, 2005, 3:44 PM

Point for the cartoon in your profile.***

Aug 19, 2005, 3:51 PM

Well done Grasshopper

Aug 19, 2005, 4:13 PM

I might remark, being slightly older than you, that the current state of CU domination (and the turning of the screws in the 35 year period you referenced) started vegefully after a particularly bad beating in 1975 at Wiily Brice...56-20...ouch! Since that fateful day when Jeff Grantz threw a TD pass very late in the game to further embarass the Tigers, SCU victories have been few and far between. Good work and a point for you.

"What's actually occurred is the only thing that counts."***

Aug 19, 2005, 4:26 PM

Nicely Done. Hall of Fame!*******

Aug 19, 2005, 5:01 PM

Great Job!!!!!!***

Aug 19, 2005, 6:55 PM

Replies: 15
| visibility 1