Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownlee is doing more with less. Just to give you an idea:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 3,192

Brownlee is doing more with less. Just to give you an idea:

Feb 1, 2014, 7:40 PM

FSU played 9 players today. 5 of them were 4-star recruits coming out of high school, and 4 of them were ranked in the top 70 in the country.

We have ZERO 4-star recruits. Our highest rated recruit was Blossomgame, a 3-star, at #114.

Recruiting rankings aren't perfect. We had the best player on the floor today in 3-star McDaniels. Brownell gets some credit for his development, however. Bottom line - Brownell can coach. He's taken this young, raw bunch to wins against Dook and now FSU on the road, and a 5-3 record in the ACC. Not too shabby.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Well said!

Feb 1, 2014, 7:49 PM

TU

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our talent will be greatly improved next year***

Feb 1, 2014, 8:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cam, we are on the same basketball page

Feb 1, 2014, 8:07 PM

I would be interested to see a vin diagram of our beliefs....sports may be the only thing in the overlapping part.

I think you guys are right, and I sure hope you are, but

Feb 1, 2014, 8:11 PM

I've heard these optimistic predictions before regarding our incoming players only to see them fail to be realized.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

What gives me hope about the incoming class

Feb 1, 2014, 8:33 PM

Is that it won't be relied on immediately. If either can come in and fill a role for 10 minutes a game I will be happy.

Smiling, if I recall correctly, you were pretty down on

Feb 1, 2014, 8:38 PM [ in reply to I think you guys are right, and I sure hope you are, but ]

Brownell last year in spite of a lot of people trying to explain additional experience, increased talent, and depth would begin to show up this year. Personally, my target for this year was an NIT win or two. We may or may not make it, but overall it seems pretty obvious that we are growing slowly but surely. Brownell is building recruiting relationships, and if he can get this turned we can be a solid basketball program. You agree?

I do agree with you - but I've never been down on Brownell.

Feb 1, 2014, 9:13 PM

While I have questioned his ability to recruit, I've always felt he was an excellent coach in terms of x's and o's, and player development. I've always said that Brownell's success here will ultimately depend on his ability to recruit. In fairness to him, our lack of tradition and commitment has made recruiting tough for all Clemson basketball coaches. Still to get to the next level and start winning NCAA tourney games, getting better players than we traditionally do is not an option. In getting better players, we must get players with better offensive skills coming in. So far Brownell has not been able to do that - our next class may turn that around.

Until this year, we had gotten worse every year under Brownell. I understand that he was handicapped in many respects, but another year of getting worse was unacceptable. We are playing about the way I expected this year, but I'm happy to say we have managed to win a few more than I expected so far. Congrats to coach Brownell and the players for that; I hope it continues.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Our talent will be greatly improved next year***

Feb 2, 2014, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Our talent will be greatly improved next year*** ]

yup, huge talent upgrade coming in next year with a 2 star point guard and a 3 star forward.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownlee is doing more with less. Just to give you an idea:

Feb 1, 2014, 8:12 PM

Agree that HCBB is doing a great job with what he has. I love his intensity on the sideline. 3 consecutive timeouts at the end of the game just to make dang sure they got the win! McDaniel and Blossomgame next year will be a great combo, I'm thinking. Maybe Coleman saw that too and is why he transferred.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Making silk purses...

Feb 1, 2014, 8:35 PM

Thx Smiling...those facts really shed light on this this team's accomplishment tonight. It's easy to say a guy can coach, but it's hard see those two wins against superior talent without throwing some credit to the top. So here's to making more silk purses out of sow's ears!

Don't go and try to confuse the dumpers with facts.***

Feb 2, 2014, 12:15 AM

Re: Don't go and try to confuse the dumpers with facts.***

Feb 2, 2014, 8:51 AM

The dumpers will dump even if we had a 30/1 record. If our coach would have been worth a chit, we would have won the other one. Its the nature of the b!thching fan type.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and lord knows we have more than our fair share of those...

Feb 2, 2014, 9:09 AM

n/m

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You make a good point re: talent level. I would imagine a

Feb 2, 2014, 10:57 AM

lot of FSU's higher rankings were based on size. They's big.

But I still think Brownell is a great coach on the def end, that is proven time and again.

But on the offensive end we are still very sloppy. Too many unforced turnovers.

But that was a big win, we are in great shape to have a +.500 conf season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps even more baffling

Feb 2, 2014, 11:22 AM

How did Leonard Hamilton land five 4-star recruits? FSU is not exactly a marquee program. Maybe it's simply because Hamilton has been there so long and can provide program stability...

Re: Perhaps even more baffling

Feb 2, 2014, 12:06 PM

FSU has a great recruiting advantage over Clemson and a lot of other schools. Location and being in the capital city of Florida is one of them. Having Florida A and M across the street is also a plus. Hamilton may even be a plus for them.

I don't hear a lot about Donte Grantham but I think he is a highly regarded player who is in prep school this year. Devoe obviously can shoot and score but we haven't seen him against big time players. I don't know if he is on an AAU team or not, but he probably is playing year around. Both are in the top 150 I am sure. That doesn't compare with Duke and UNC who get 2 or 3 every year in the top 25!

Brownell is responsible for recruiting is he not?.....

Feb 2, 2014, 5:29 PM

He's yet to show he can recruit at the level needed to be successful in this league.

Every one of his players is a major project. In fact, other than KJ, there's not one player on our team that would even make the roster of another ACC team.

Don't get me wrong, I think Brownell is a great coach but after 4 years he has yet to show that he can recruit at the level he needs to. If anything, this will be his downfall.

Wow, we have an early contender for the SPOTY

Feb 2, 2014, 5:36 PM

"there's not one player on our team that would even make the roster of another ACC team."

The SPOTY commemorates the stupidest post of the year. I think this one might have staying power.

Correct if I'm wrong....

Feb 2, 2014, 5:46 PM

but who on our current roster was recruited by another ACC team?

Its a serious question because I really don't know. My bet is that not many of our guys had offers from other ACC teams.

off the top of my head

Feb 2, 2014, 5:49 PM

bc and va tech would trade rosters

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell is responsible for recruiting is he not?.....

Feb 2, 2014, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Brownell is responsible for recruiting is he not?..... ]

I think some of our "fans" would be much happier not watching our BB team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plenty of high D-1 offers on our team

Feb 2, 2014, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Brownell is responsible for recruiting is he not?..... ]

Also, it doesn't matter where they recruited, but how they are playing. Do you honestly think no ACC team would take Nnoko, Blossomgame, Hall, Roper, Filer, or Ajukwa?

Nnoko was offered by Florida, Georgetown, and Louisville...

Feb 3, 2014, 12:57 AM [ in reply to Brownell is responsible for recruiting is he not?..... ]

Ajukwa was offered by Wake Forest and BC.

Djitte was offered by Auburn and Cincinnati.

There is limited talent on our team but look where you are recruiting to. Build it and they will come and we are about to build it.

Re: Brownell is responsible for recruiting is he not?.....

Feb 3, 2014, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Brownell is responsible for recruiting is he not?..... ]

I think that Clemson's lack of basketball tradition has more to do with Brad not recruiting at a high level at Clemson, than it does with Brad himself. Our lack of a winning Basketball tradition of our past can't be blamed on Brad. Our BB dumper fans sure as H&ll won't give him the credit when he improves our tradition through good recruiting and winning. They will act as if winning and great recruiting was at Clemson before Brad ever got here based on the short quick and out that Purnell done before he ran out, and leaving empty cupboards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to believe someone TD'ed this post.....***

Feb 2, 2014, 5:33 PM

So, who is the idiot that gave you a TD?***

Feb 2, 2014, 8:29 PM

Feb 3, 2014, 12:32 AM

Smiling, I see that a disgruntled dumper didn't agree, and won't agree with the facts. But as we already know, that when facts get in the way with these types of fans, a TD is the only way they can respond b/c they have no counter facts to prove you wrong. Laughable!!! There are also some Netters that believe that the TD choice is the only way to disagree without a shred of facts to back their reasoning for a TD other than their profound dislike for Brad. Common sense failed again, as it usually does on t-net... And those types don't give TU's even when they agree. One of those situation of ### if you do, and ### if you don't kind of things. Great post though, no mater what the dumper thinks!!! I'll probably get a TD for this post describing their negativity of reasoning, but I just don't give a ###, Have at it!!!

Feb 3, 2014, 7:18 PM

Agree with this post...saw our home game against FSU and have never seen a worse basketball game. Would not have given us much of a chance down there. KJ was sensational, and Coach Brownell flat out can coach. I did not realize FSU had recruited that well in basketball.

Replies: 28
| visibility 3,192
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic