Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To the doomsayer, the actual worst bowl loss
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 3,622

To the doomsayer, the actual worst bowl loss

Jan 8, 2012, 8:51 AM

In a BCS level game was the 1995 National Championship game. (I know it was pre-BCS) Nebraska handed The Old Ball Sack a 62-24 beatdown that could have been 100-0. At least Tom Ozborne has the decency to run the ball the entire 2nd half. Well, did Florida dry up and blow away? No, they were back in the Championship game the next season and won it.

So you can whine and hand-wring all you want. I'm moving on and looking forward to next season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To the doomsayer, the actual worst bowl loss

Jan 8, 2012, 9:11 AM

Hey Genius,
That Nebraska team may have been the best CFB team of all time. WVU lost to freaking Syracuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and Clemson lost to freaking NC STATE !!!!!!!!***

Jan 8, 2012, 9:15 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: and Clemson lost to freaking NC STATE !!!!!!!!***

Jan 8, 2012, 9:19 AM

agree on 95 huskers. they could have beaten a few NFL teams.

they were good.. so was FLorida that year

Jan 8, 2012, 9:21 AM

the comparison is fair

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Florida was 12-0 that year and won the SEC. Then the 62-24

Jan 8, 2012, 9:25 AM

bowl game occured. A Florida fan posted on one website that Clemson now reminds him so much of Spurriers earlier Florida teams.

lol oh my. fla had been the best sec team since '90. 1 bad

Jan 8, 2012, 2:53 PM

game doesn't equal 3 years of BS under Dabo. oh and didn't the pumpers say we were winning the national title this year b/c of all the '80 omens? now it's '95 fla omens. what will it be next year after Dabo stinks it up again? you pumpers just keep ignoring the obvious smacking you in the face. you did it 10 years with TB, now even worse under Dabo.

You spent all offseason

Jan 8, 2012, 2:59 PM

saying this was a sinking ship. Calling Dabo an idiot for hiring Morris instead of Freidgen. Saying we would never have success under Dabo.

And what do we do this year?

We win 10 games and a conference championship. Stop whining.

fail. you have me confused with someone else. never posted

Jan 8, 2012, 3:07 PM

any such comments. but we are stuck in a cycle of under achievement under dabo just like TB.

Re: lol oh my. fla had been the best sec team since '90. 1 bad

Jan 8, 2012, 3:06 PM [ in reply to lol oh my. fla had been the best sec team since '90. 1 bad ]

Also doesn't equal all the years of your BS here on T net.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

onlyif you call fact based objectivity BS***

Jan 8, 2012, 3:07 PM

Underachieve - look up the definition

Jan 8, 2012, 8:53 PM

The last word I would use to describe the 2011 team. Look at any preseason magazine and tell me where we underachieved ..

Disappointing .. maybe
Inconsistent .. yes

Underachieve - go whine on the Florida State Board and learn the definition of the word. Or Notre Dame for that matter.

Re: and Clemson lost to freaking NC STATE !!!!!!!!***

Jan 8, 2012, 9:25 AM [ in reply to and Clemson lost to freaking NC STATE !!!!!!!!*** ]

There's not one Clemson person on this board that thinks we're going to have a bad year next year. We ALL believe we're moving forward. That's why the posts keep coming this week about the 70-33 loss. It's so we can move forward.
It's called VENTING!!! It's healthy, so we can move forward. These posts will stop in a few weeks, and we'll talk about recruits and the Spring game. We're moving forward....

his repsonse was not venting

Jan 8, 2012, 9:29 AM

he was trying to down play the comparison.. in which i showed the error in his logic.

That Nebraska team was 1 of the all time best. That Florida team was very good as well.

Clemson and WVU were both 3 loss teams form weaker conferences.

Both matched comparable teams, both were blow outs. The comparison is the OP made was fair.

you are amazingly observent******

Jan 8, 2012, 9:28 AM [ in reply to and Clemson lost to freaking NC STATE !!!!!!!!*** ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: Re: To the doomsayer, the actual worst bowl loss

Jan 8, 2012, 9:19 AM

Hey genius, that Florida team was one of the best teams ever as well and was expects to at least compete, coot

Thanks, boy that really makes...

Jan 8, 2012, 9:36 AM

me feel better...NOT

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So losing in the national title game

Jan 8, 2012, 9:55 AM

to one of the best teams in the history of college football is on par with a 37 point drubbing at the hands of a mediocre Big-East team in their first year with their coach...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 2011 Tigers were

Jan 8, 2012, 10:02 AM

not very good. In case you didn't notice.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So losing in the national title game

Jan 8, 2012, 10:03 AM [ in reply to So losing in the national title game ]

WVU is the 19th winningest football program of all time. Anyone that wants to dismiss them as mediocre spends too much time buying ESPN/SEC hype and not enough time actually watching football. The same reasons you think this should have been a cake walk are probably the same reasons our players did and got spanked for it.

those rankings are skewed. statistics can be used to prove

Jan 8, 2012, 2:57 PM

anything if you don't look too closely. additionally, the past has nothing to do with this year and our pathetic performance. you pumpers will use any excuse to avoid the truth and live in your deluded fantasy world.

Jan 8, 2012, 9:58 AM

TU and excellent point. I've been wondering why this hasn't been pointed out more. Gee, I wonder if Florida football ever recovered from this embarrassment. A bigger loss on a bigger stage. They must have folded up shop. The coach must have gone on to a disgraced nfl career and forced to coach the chickens to find employment. No way he won a National Championship and is a future hall of famer.

By the way, for you youngsters, Nebraska took a knee at the 1 yard line to run out the clock. An act of class Spurrier has never reciprocated in his career. Even resorting to trick plays to run up the score on the Citadel this season. And, all the pre-game hype was that Nebraska did not stand a chance in this game. ESPN was actively selling the idea that Spurrier's "fun and gun" offense would destroy Nebraska's option style. Nebraska was in the midst of an incredible 5 year run in which Osborne went 60-3 over the last 5 years of his career and won 3 of 4 national titles in the last 4 years of his career. The betting lines for this game opened with Nebraska at a 3 point favorite, but talking heads persuaded enough people that Florida was the sure thing that most lines had made Florida a 3.5 point favorite by kickoff. Spurrier and Florida were supposed to be the future of football and Osborne and Nebraska represented relics of the past. It was a hugely embarrassing loss and one that went against the ###### that ESPN and sports writers in general were selling. But since the margin of defeat in a game one season has nothing to do with the next, Florida went on to win the National Championship beating Florida State by 32 in a rematch that year. (And surely losing to a rival by 32 in a title game would devastate recruiting and spell the end of Florida State - right? Or did they go 45-5 over the next 4 years and pick up their 2nd National Championship of the decade?)

great points all viztiz

Jan 8, 2012, 10:13 AM

Thanks!

wrong, its a pumper using an apples n oranges comparison to

Jan 8, 2012, 3:04 PM

take continuing trends of under achieving at clemson by poorly qualified coaches being supported by irrational fans with irrational personal attachments to said coaches, and justifying that chronic under achieving or excusing it by trying to compare the exception somewhere else.

They also won the NC the following season with a different

Jan 8, 2012, 11:29 AM

Defensive coordinator

1995 Bob Pruett
1996 Bob Stoops

Re: They also won the NC the following season with a different

Jan 8, 2012, 11:54 AM

I can play this game too. In 2002 LSU, under head coach Nick Saban, OC Jimbo Fisher, and DC Will Muschamp lost 5 games and finished 4th in their division. Included in that season was 31-0 loss AT HOME to Alabama while they (LSU) were ranked #14 in the country. Boy, with failure of that magnitude the program must have never recovered and everyone involved struggled to find work, right?

The national championship that year was won by Ohio State over Miami. The SEC were not even part of the picture. Surely heads needed to roll. How could the 7th best team in a conference not even involved in the national championship picture possibily move forward with out serious changes to an offense that averaged barely more than 20 points a game against BCS competition and surrendered nearly 30 points a game against the same.

Or, perhaps, everyone stuck around and won the national championship the next year. But, if hysterical fans had their way most of those guys would be FCS assistants these days and LSU would be struggling to be relevant as opposed to playing for their 3rd title in 10 years.

Message was edited by: viztiz®

Jan 8, 2012, 1:04 PM

The most points LSU gave up in a game that season: 35

Jan 8, 2012, 1:39 PM

So are you asserting that points surrendered by a defense is the single most important aspect of evaluating a football team? Margin of victory is less significant?
Win Loss record doesn't matter?

South Carolina has never given up more than 38 points in a bowl game. So, despite their 5 wins total does that mean they have a better bowl history than us. I guess they moved on so quickly from 63-17 to us and 56-6 to Florida because they didn't allow the magic number 70 to be scored against them.

Jan 8, 2012, 5:03 PM

I never said it was the most important aspect of evaluating a team- but neither is margin of victory. The bottom line is W's and L's- and it's hard to win when you are unable to play defense. We can talk about other great teams who rebounded from big losses all day, but it's not going to help me get over the OB and the 2nd half of our season. If we had a "young" defense- how did they get worse as the season progressed? Why was there no improvement? We're not just talking about a fluke game. Florida was solid on D all year in '95- they had a top 25 defense- the Fiesta bowl was just a bad game. We were bad all season (except against VT), and throwing out USuC scores is not going to make me feel better about it.

Jan 8, 2012, 5:30 PM

My serious reply to this is that we had major problems at linebacker coming into this season and we knew it. Steele recruited an amazing class but linebacker is rarely played at this level by freshmen and then the ones who were ready suffered injuries. I've pointed this out before and someone threw it in my face why didn't we address this sooner. I still believe that the 2009 class (or lack thereof) is the biggest impediment to this team. Not only are you missing the players, but your missing young players to push the upperclassmen. Just as you rely on the upperclassmen to deprogram the star mentality out of rookies, you need the rookies to keep the upperclassmen looking over their shoulder. I have never argued that this is a young team. We actually had a great deal of experience on both lines coming into this year - but we had an astounding lack of depth. I think we'll be improved at LB next year but will unfortunately suffer up front.

I'm not a pumper, but 2 division wins and an ACC title in 3 years from a first time head coach has me giving him the benefit of the doubt. If they keep recruiting at this level I think by 2013 Clemson will have the quality top to bottom to return to being a national powerhouse. Too many people seem to be letting our premature rise into the top 10 blind them to how many good things happened this season.

Jan 8, 2012, 11:52 AM

Those Nebraska teams ran the option. Running the entire second half was called an offensive scheme.

Tommie Frazier had 177 pass attempts all season, 12 games.
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/nebraska/1995.html

But otherwise, spot on.

Of course he ran that ball, that is what they did***

Jan 8, 2012, 12:21 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well then I guess there's no problem! Thanks!

Jan 8, 2012, 12:39 PM

Bowden taught you well.

Re: Well then I guess there's no problem! Thanks!

Jan 8, 2012, 2:03 PM

Tommy's tenure at Clemson was his second job as a head coach. He coached at Clemson for 10 years and finished with a best conference mark of 6-2 once (accomplished with Rich Rod as OC and never repeated). He never won a division and he never won a title. If it was purely dumb luck, one should have fallen into his lap after a decade. In case you weren't paying attention, the ACC sucked pretty much his entire tenure. This is nothing new.

In three seasons, Dabo has already matched Tommy's best mark ever - twice. Tommy 0/10 on ACC titles and 0/4 on divisions. And I will hold his last season against him since he already had us in a 1-2 hole when he was fired. Dabo is 1/3 for ACC Championships and 2/3 for Divisions. If you don't recognize that as a radical change from the Bowden years I don't know what to say, and don't know how you could possibly derive any joy from watching Clemson football.

When I was cheering for Clemson at the ACC Championship game it never once occurred to me to stop enjoying it because the ACC sucks. I was never screaming at the top of my lungs then pausing to reflect on how much more satisfying it would be if we'd beaten South Carolina. Even if it has, so far, come with some of the trademark disappointment of the Bowden era, we have had more to cheer for in the last three years than in the previous decade. Individual player achievements were literally the only thing a decade of Tommy Bowden gave us to be excited about (and a nice beatdown of Tennessee in a bowl game if I'm being honest).

To think that Dabo would step into the role of a BCS conference school as head coach and take over without hiccups is demeaning to the job itself. If you think football is worth watching and investing time and emotion in, then you have to believe that being a head coach at this level is also an incredible challenge. This is a guy (Dabo) that was never even a coordinator. He is not supposed to be here. He should have ridden Tommy's last team into the ground. It's fine to be disappointed that Clemson didn't go out and hire their own version of Steve Spurrier when they finally let Tommy go. But they didn't and I don't see how you can refuse to admit that Dabo has accomplished great things. All with a bust of a recruiting class in 2009 that would be most other teams achilles heel. This team has the potential to become one of the true powerhouses in college football in 2013 and beyond which is a sentiment I have not been able to honestly have about Clemson football in a very, very long time.

And what did UF (Spurrier) do in response to that debacle?

Jan 8, 2012, 2:48 PM

He fired the DC and brought in Bob Stoops to handle his defense. We're waiting, Dabs.

Re: And what did UF (Spurrier) do in response to that debacle?

Jan 8, 2012, 2:49 PM

wrong again, pruett left for a head coaching job. history has shown dabo will fix things that need fixing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol when his job is on the line, too bad he sucks so bad

Jan 8, 2012, 3:11 PM

fans see the need for a 2nd major staff overhaul after only 3 years. good coaches don't continually need to overhaul their staff. especial not multiple times in their first few years. but again, don't let facts hurt your delusion.

The DC wasn't fired. He was hired as the HC at Marshall.***

Jan 8, 2012, 2:51 PM [ in reply to And what did UF (Spurrier) do in response to that debacle? ]

Replies: 37
| visibility 3,622
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic