Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
i shouldn't have to say this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 98
| visibility 1

i shouldn't have to say this

Nov 13, 2011, 11:52 AM

I'm sick and tired of people being disrespectful during god bless America and the national anthem, coming from a military family I'm 16 I have 2 brothers in navy and 1 cousin is a marine show some respect quit talking in the portals, quit walking to your seats, and take your hat off.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i shouldn't have to say this

Nov 13, 2011, 11:56 AM

spot on.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2011, 11:59 AM

They need to tell people to either get there earlier or they can't be walking up the steps during it

Re: i shouldn't have to say this- we have literally

Nov 13, 2011, 11:59 AM

raised a genration that have to be told to take their hats off for these things. And that is pretty sad

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It boils down to 1 thing

Nov 13, 2011, 12:03 PM

PARENTING. We have become a nation of helicopter parents. When I was young, my mom would jump my you know what if I didn't take my hat off during the anthem or prayer

Re: It boils down to 1 thing

Nov 14, 2011, 10:09 AM

Don't helicopter parents pay close attention to everything that their children do?

GT only had one song, the national anthem

Nov 13, 2011, 12:05 PM

it was nice

Nov 13, 2011, 12:06 PM

Lol like I said I'm 16 my dad is military brother and cousins are they would beat my ### if I didn't take my hat off

I don't understans how wearing a hat makes you

Nov 13, 2011, 12:11 PM

less American. Are hats offensive somehow?

Re: I don't understans how wearing a hat makes you

Nov 13, 2011, 12:13 PM

Its a sign of respect...that should be enough for anyone

Doesn't make you less of an American but

Nov 13, 2011, 12:22 PM [ in reply to I don't understans how wearing a hat makes you ]

makes you a disrespectful loser that is ignorant to common traditions and protocol. Sad that, apparently, neither your school nor your family explained this to you. Or you chose to ignore it and reflected poorly on your school and family...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly this

Nov 13, 2011, 12:30 PM

everyone who didnt take their hat off for god bless america = loser. Like the staples that was easy button

It is not only a sign of respect for the country / flag

Nov 14, 2011, 10:16 AM

but for the people who died to defend it. The people who wrote a blank check and said I am willing to lay down my life so that people like you can walk around Death Valley on Saturday afternoons. Is it really asking too much for you to stop for 30 seconds, take your hat off and/or not talk to your friends?

My mom also taught me to mind my own business and not

Nov 13, 2011, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Doesn't make you less of an American but ]

judge others.

Not really judging. It's a sign of respect to your country

Nov 14, 2011, 9:19 AM

and the men and women who have served, or given their lives, to protect the freedom you and I have to watch football on the weekends, tailgate before hand, and you know the rest.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be you judging them on their level of patriotism.***

Nov 14, 2011, 10:53 AM

Common traditions and protocol have nothing to do with

Nov 13, 2011, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Doesn't make you less of an American but ]

respect and affection for one's country.

In fact, people should make decisions on reason and morals instead.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2011, 12:22 PM [ in reply to I don't understans how wearing a hat makes you ]

you wouldn't wear one on a dinner date would you?

They probably would.

Nov 15, 2011, 7:56 AM

Sadly.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

the removal of the hat, or head gear as it's called in the

Nov 13, 2011, 1:12 PM [ in reply to I don't understans how wearing a hat makes you ]

military, stems mainly from a couple of traditions. When I was in the Army we were made to take our hats off whenever inside a building, unless we were carrying weapons, than then hat stayed on. If you're outside and in uniform, you better have some kind of head gear on.
When I was in the Coast Guard we were told to remove our caps either when inside a land-based building or on the mess deck of a ship (the same basically for the Navy). In seagoing services you take your hats off on the mess deck out of respect for the dead, because there once was a time when the mess deck was used as the hospital and for surgery during wars.
Interesting, though, I don't ever recall in my 13 years of combined service being told to take my hat off for the purpose of any formal ceremony.
I just think the removing of hats is a tradition that transcended from the military to the civilian world, but was altered slightly.

Lack of parenting or either you don't give a crap....

Nov 13, 2011, 4:01 PM [ in reply to I don't understans how wearing a hat makes you ]

either way, pathetic on your part for not showing respect.

Nov 13, 2011, 7:34 PM [ in reply to I don't understans how wearing a hat makes you ]

If not your father your grandfather should have taught you...doing the Pledge of Alligence and singing the Star Spangle Banner...you remove your hat if you have one on..it is showing respect. At least it is Southern thing.

United States Code, 36 USC Sec 301

Nov 13, 2011, 7:40 PM [ in reply to I don't understans how wearing a hat makes you ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=11428122

Re: United States Code, 36 USC Sec 301

Nov 13, 2011, 7:56 PM

Thanks for your post.
Go Tigers!

It's a sign of respect.

Nov 14, 2011, 7:36 PM [ in reply to I don't understans how wearing a hat makes you ]

Kind of like opening a door for a lady or elder. Or taking your hat off in church. Or saying thank you when someone does something nice for you. Wearing a hat doesn't make you less American. But, when you know that it's a sign of respect to take it off during the national anthem, but continue to wear it anyway... then, it IS less American.

Nov 13, 2011, 12:20 PM

I disagree. Talking yeah, but you can show respect while walking to your seat. Get to your seat every one else wants to see the team run down too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stop standing in the portals!***

Nov 13, 2011, 12:30 PM

Everybody's just trying to get to their seat to watch the

Nov 13, 2011, 12:32 PM

game. Nobody is attempting to be disrespectful to anything. Part of the problem is that we play The National Anthem, God Bless America, have a prayer all while people are filing into the stadium.

If everybody stops for that, it blocks progress of people coming into the stadium. Maybe more people here just need to #### and mind their own business. I'll raise my kids with the morals and ethics I see fit.

For the record, I served my country in the military, as did my brother, a few uncles, grandparents, and so forth. But when I'm trying to get to my seat with 20,000 other people, I'm not stopping for the National Anthem. I'll put my hand on my heart and tell my kids to be quiet, but keep walking.

You're sick and tired of people getting to their seat...I'm sick and tired of people like you on this board who's sole purpose is to simply judge everybody else as though you are a moral authority. Get over yourself. I rarely bother with this board anymore anyway because of this general attitude.

If you get to your seat 30 minutes early so you can be sure to hold the moral high ground, CONGRATULATIONS! I'm not going to sit there for 30 minutes with my 8 year old bored out of his mind when we could be throwing the football at the tailgate.

Re: Everybody's just trying to get to their seat to watch the

Nov 13, 2011, 12:36 PM

Very well said!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ exactly

Nov 13, 2011, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Everybody's just trying to get to their seat to watch the ]

made the points I was thinking in great way

I actually had a run in with a moral authority such as

Nov 13, 2011, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Everybody's just trying to get to their seat to watch the ]

yourself when I was taking my kids to the game 3 years ago. My youngest was 5 at the time and I waited late to get into the game because as anybody who has a 5 year old knows...they have to pee at the worst time. So I wanted all of us to be in our seat before the tigers run down the hill, but only after he had plenty of time to relieve himself.

So we're walking up the stairs in the top deck, I have my youngest on my shoulders and the National Anthem starts. I keep walking, but put my hand on my heart in order to allow others behind me to get to their seats.

Some guy felt it was his duty to tell me that I'm being disrespectful for not paying attention to the flag during the National Anthem. I retorted with, then so are you since you are paying attention to me and not the flag and kept walking. I don't care what you think about me or my patriotism. I'm secure enough in myself and what I've done for this country that I don't need approval from any of the 80,000+ at Memorial Stadium.

Nov 13, 2011, 7:46 PM [ in reply to Everybody's just trying to get to their seat to watch the ]

That teaches your 8 year there are times to sit still, and be attentive, be punctual, and a time to play... Let me relay a story from when our boys were pretty young.

We visited church with friends and that church's children were sitting on the front few rows, with their parents and being attentive...the children were as young as 3 and 4 years old. The kids could also respond to questions when they were asked. We were amazed at their parenting skills and took lessons from that for our boys. They told us they practiced that at home, so they knew how to behave when the children went out in public. Not, the mess you see when you go to a store, with the kids running around, throwing tantrums, crying, etc. It can be done, if the parent disciplines themselves to "train up a child in the way they should go". Quite often it means the parent has to give up some things they want to do, or do some things that inconvenience them. You have to ask, who's in charge of the household? (parents or kids) 'just a sidenote...my guys are now in their mid-twenties, and doing very well. 'hope this helps some young parents bring up their little Tigers! Blessings to you! :)

Nov 13, 2011, 7:59 PM

'figured I would get a TD..the truth hurts.
Much is required to be a parent.

I'm glad that you raised your children with your values.

Nov 14, 2011, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Everybody's just trying to get to their seat to watch the ]

Now if you don't mind, I'll raise mine with my own. Actually I think the story of the kids sitting in church like drones is sad. I'm an Atheist but I don't shove my belief system down my children's throats because they're going to have to make that decision for themselves one day. If they choose religion, then I'll support them 100% as long as they chose it for themselves and not because it was forced upon them.

Let me sum up my parenting for you, I know you probably won't understand it, but I'll try it anyway. I'm not raising my kids to think like me, I'm just raising them to think. Nothing should be blindly accepted and everything deserves to be questioned.

Maybe you don't agree, but then again, I don't care about your opinion when it comes to how I am bringing up my children.

Re: I'm glad that you raised your children with your values.

Nov 14, 2011, 8:14 AM

No wonder you are so angry. The tone of your remarks on here are very sad indeed. And saying you were in the military...I somehow can not see it. I worked at the Pentagon, had lots of family and friends -- all having served in WW2 all the way up to Iraq. My brother was in VietNam. Knowing how they all felt or feel now about their faith, their respect towards the flag and the song...I can't imagine anyone having served and not believing in God. Nor can I picture someone that has gone thru the birth of a child and not believe.
You are missing out on more than you realize and being bitter about so much is very sad indeed.

You can't imagine someone serving and not believing in God?

Nov 14, 2011, 4:34 PM

First, are you blind, dumb or ignorant? And secondly, what does one have to do with the other?

There's something in these hills.

are you being serious?***

Nov 14, 2011, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm glad that you raised your children with your values. ]

Re: I'm glad that you raised your children with your values.

Nov 14, 2011, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm glad that you raised your children with your values. ]

Funny, I didn't read his remarks as sad or angry at all. I read *your* post, however, as patronizing and insulting. If you "can't imagine" those things you mentioned, I think that's an indictment upon your lack of imagination and not on his (non-)belief system.

i have read that serving in military

Nov 14, 2011, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm glad that you raised your children with your values. ]

actually shakes people's faith. They see tons of people die and wonder how can a god allow this

Re: i have read that serving in military

Nov 14, 2011, 8:39 PM

I served in Viet nam and it made mine stronger.

I knew lots of Atheists in the military. I don't know of

Nov 14, 2011, 8:44 PM [ in reply to i have read that serving in military ]

any that converted while serving, but I knew of plenty that were in foxholes at one point or another. So, yes, there are Atheists in foxholes.

Re: I knew lots of Atheists in the military. I don't know of

Nov 14, 2011, 8:53 PM

That may be true but there are no racists in fire fight!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like this quote:

Nov 14, 2011, 4:33 PM [ in reply to I'm glad that you raised your children with your values. ]

"I don't care about your opinion when it comes to how I am bringing up my children."

Quick - Somebody Please

Nov 14, 2011, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Everybody's just trying to get to their seat to watch the ]

Call the scientists. Neanderthals are not extinct!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Surely you aren't calling me a Neanderthal.***

Nov 14, 2011, 9:09 PM

kids should not be allowed in games***

Nov 14, 2011, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Everybody's just trying to get to their seat to watch the ]

I'm with you on everything except the hat.

Nov 13, 2011, 12:52 PM

Taking your hat off is an arbitrary tradition that people hold on to for no reason. To inject the concept of disrespect into someone having a hat on is silly.

Not talking, not going to your seat, and certainly not laughing all show that you are stopping and paying respect. Taking your hat off is a random addition.

Actually that is incorrect....

Nov 13, 2011, 4:50 PM

United States Code, 36 USC Sec 301

301. National anthem
(a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

The removal of the hat is to show respect for the dead heroes that have help keep this country free. So if you do not respect them, by all means keep your hat on and continue to walk and talk.

If you think reading it in the official code book makes

Nov 14, 2011, 12:01 PM

it actually a moral or ethical factor in terms of having respect for certain people... well then I can't help you.

There are people who are so distracted by tradition and arbitrary habit that they are totally lost when it comes to real moral issues. Don't be one of those people.

I never wear hats, so I guess I'm in the clear.***

Nov 13, 2011, 12:57 PM

Nov 13, 2011, 12:58 PM

i dont have to tell my kids , we always remove our hats and give respect.

Nov 13, 2011, 1:03 PM

I agreed with you until I saw your "fairy" comment - apparently you have a problem with showing respect to those with beliefs that differ from yours which shows an abundance of ignorance on your part.

Nov 13, 2011, 1:08 PM

Actually it doesn't show ignorance when I bow my head, stand up, and close my eyes during the prayer.....I respect your beliefs actually

Here's a better idea...stop playing it.

Nov 13, 2011, 3:51 PM

I know this won't be popular, but really, our pregame is the longest of any other team in America.

God Bless America, National Anthem, Pledge of Allegiance, a Prayer to unknown Gods, and the Alma Mater.

Do you want people to stand in a portal that by the way smells like cat urine for 15 minutes? Do you want them to miss Running Down the Hill?

And before you answer, remember that it was a Noon game. You have to get to campus, setup, tailgate in record time, and then walk a mile and a half to the stadium.

I can't get there earlier from my parking spot, and I,m not going to be climbing stairs when the Tigers come down the Hill. So with respect, I say we cut out half of the stuff and stop putting people in a position to have to make a decision.

yeah like I said GT only played the national anthem***

Nov 13, 2011, 6:49 PM

Unknown Gods? There is but one God and that is Jesus Christ***

Nov 13, 2011, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Here's a better idea...stop playing it. ]

POTE

Nov 14, 2011, 8:25 AM

Point of the Eternity

May the Flying Spaghetti Monster forgive you for your

Nov 14, 2011, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Unknown Gods? There is but one God and that is Jesus Christ*** ]

ignorance.

prove it or gtfo :)***

Nov 14, 2011, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Unknown Gods? There is but one God and that is Jesus Christ*** ]

The guy praying Saturday didn't even address God to open

Nov 14, 2011, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Unknown Gods? There is but one God and that is Jesus Christ*** ]

his prayer, said all sorts of meaningless "phrases" from other religions at the end, and didn't even say Amen.

So yes, I referred to his prayer as one to unknown gods.

His point went soaring straight over your head methinks

Nov 15, 2011, 12:04 AM [ in reply to Unknown Gods? There is but one God and that is Jesus Christ*** ]

I think he was referring to the extremely vague prayers we have at the games. The ones that don't always quite mention if they're to God, or just an open letter to anyone who might be listening. If you were able to get any "Jesus" out of the prayer Saturday, then you must have heard something I didn't.

GO TIGERS

Re: Here's a better idea...stop playing it.

Nov 14, 2011, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Here's a better idea...stop playing it. ]

Boy you are very pathetic! I love the pregame. Of course this in my 41st year and for a 12 game...I left Greenville at 7...I am not missing anything and as far as not believing that is your choice but I won't. I will fight to keep the pregame like it is. You are one of a few!

Where did I say I didn't believe? You people on here kill

Nov 14, 2011, 10:42 PM

me when you half read a post and then try to sound intelligent responding to something that wasn't even said.

Maybe you're the pathetic one...hmmm?

He was referring to how vague the prayers are.***

Nov 15, 2011, 12:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Here's a better idea...stop playing it. ]

GO TIGERS

BS. The only reason they play the national anthem at games

Nov 13, 2011, 7:01 PM

is because it became popular during WWII as PROPOGANDA to drum up support for the war. The only reason they play God Bless America is because that New York fireman started singing it opera style after 9-11.

It's a FOOTBALL game...propoganda doesn't belong. Sing the alma mater and start the #### game.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BS. The only reason they play the national anthem at games

Nov 13, 2011, 7:30 PM

the national anthem is propaganda?-you should join the occupiers

Nov 13, 2011, 7:44 PM

Or move to a country where if you lose you get beheaded. Idiot

Singing the national anthem at a football game doesn't make

Nov 13, 2011, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Re: BS. The only reason they play the national anthem at games ]

you a better person nor does it make you a patriot. It's a football game, not a #### constitutional rally.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Singing the national anthem at a football game doesn't make

Nov 13, 2011, 8:13 PM

It's a good reminder, that there are others besides ourselves that we should stop and remember. And show gratitude... If not at sporting events...generally when would our children be taught this? It's about the only place we hear these patriotic remembrances.
Other than these venues...it would maybe once or twice a year...that is insufficient for it's importance. Are you grateful to those that have served, and gave their life, so you can express your opinion? If so, then what's wrong with taking a few minutes of your time to express that?

Nov 13, 2011, 7:55 PM [ in reply to BS. The only reason they play the national anthem at games ]

Propaganda? I suggest you move to China

Nov 13, 2011, 7:58 PM

He said it was propaganda when they started it at games DURING WWII. Apparently some here can't read.

Message was edited by: CUAtTheFinishLine®

do you think the USA has never used propaganda?***

Nov 14, 2011, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: BS. The only reason they play the national anthem at games ]

Propaganda was rampant during WWII.***

Nov 14, 2011, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Re: BS. The only reason they play the national anthem at games ]

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2011, 8:08 AM [ in reply to BS. The only reason they play the national anthem at games ]

I don't really want to jump into the argument, but I do want to point out that your post is factually incorrect. I was in Tiger Band from 1991-1995 and I distinctly remember playing "God Bless America" during pregame shows for at least 1993 and 1994; possibly 1992 as well. I also know we didn't play it in 1991, so it's a new addition in the last 20 years.

It was NOT added "because that New York fireman started singing it opera style after 9-11".

Nov 14, 2011, 8:22 AM

It has always been played in the top of the seventh inning in baseball games.

Nov 14, 2011, 8:32 AM

I don't believe that to be accurate either. There is no song traditionally played at the top of the 7th, and the only song traditionally played during the 7th inning stretch is "Take me out to the ballgame". MLB adopted "God Bless America" as a song only after 9/11, and currently each team individually decides when to play the song so it's not always during the 7th inning.

You're one of my favorite posters on TN

Nov 14, 2011, 4:29 PM [ in reply to BS. The only reason they play the national anthem at games ]

but I couldn't disagree more.

I'm with you on this one!***

Nov 14, 2011, 8:22 AM

I respect your opinion; however

Nov 14, 2011, 8:26 AM

it is my belief that it's not necessary to remove one's hat during God Bless America. It's a patriotic song that I sing proudly, but is not an official anthem of the country; therefore it represents individuals singing it, and not the country itself. For those who would argue it's a prayer in song form, I would counter that no law in this country requires me to remove my hat for a prayer that I'm under no obligation to repeat or participate in.

The national anthem is a totally different story. Hats come off for that, no questions asked.

As for walking to and from my seats, I don't think I'd personally do it (without good reason) but have no particular objection to it. Others have mentioned the challenges of being in one's seat 30 minutes before gametime with young children, and as a father of 3 young boys I can attest to that challenge.

I think there are far more disrespectful things that people do at games, like
+ coming to the game stumbling drunk
+ unleashing a constant barrage of obscenity around young children, like the ####### behind me at the Wake game who subjected my 2 sons to every 4-letter word in the book for all 4 quarters. I'm not saying you gotta stay PG the whole game--I let a few curse words fly myself on Saturday--but at least TRY to have consideration for the tender ears around you.

Re: I respect your opinion; however

Nov 14, 2011, 8:29 PM

your making it right by saying there are worse things that people can do. Ok well i can go kill someone but since i could be killing 6 people its not a big deal.. sounds stupid eh?

You're right; you sound stupid

Nov 14, 2011, 8:39 PM

But that has nothing to do with my post.

Nov 14, 2011, 8:44 AM

but there's absolutely no etiquette associated with God Bless America. It isn't the national anthem, and it doesn't require you either to take off your hat, or put your hand over your heart, or stop walking to your seat. One of these days, when you're old enough to actually be in the military, rather than simply trying to score some cheap points off your relative's service, you'll know that, because your sergeant will tell you, as he almost certainly does know proper flag etiquette.

Amen brother...LOVE IT or GET THE H### OUTt!!!***

Nov 14, 2011, 10:02 AM

Nov 14, 2011, 10:13 AM

Very well put, lots of folks older than you need to follow your example.

FAIRWOODTIGER 67

Agree on the anthem.

Nov 14, 2011, 11:22 AM

God Bless America is meaningless, though.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct - never understood why this song is considered

Nov 14, 2011, 4:11 PM

nationalistic.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pax Americana!

Nov 14, 2011, 11:35 AM

I don't support this overly militant country. Therefore, I will not pledge my allegiance to it.

You're 16? I'm 12

Nov 14, 2011, 4:10 PM

and what is this?

agreed im tired of people disrespecting the national anthem

Nov 14, 2011, 4:15 PM

by treating god bless america like it is the national anthem its a great opportunity while that plays for people to get to their seats and be ready to treat the star spangled banner as it should

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

Politics and religion board is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>***

Nov 14, 2011, 4:25 PM

Politics and religion board is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>***

Nov 14, 2011, 4:25 PM

I'm in the military. And am a veteran.

Nov 14, 2011, 7:31 PM

When the national anthem is played, I give the respect which is due. I always think about what my fallen friends and their families have been through during the time it is played.

I do not, however, ENJOY it. I don't mind doing the right thing. I feel compelled to, as a matter of fact.

The occurrence of the playing of the national anthem is so seldom, that I really don't mind it at the game.

I think it's a good time to assure that 10's of thousands of people stop to consider what some people have sacrificed for us. Some REALLY good, selfless, people... with families, and friends. The very first day I went to Iraq, twenty people were killed. They weren't in my unit. It was kind of a wake-up, but I still shrugged it off. Less than a week later, I lost 8 friends. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM was a father! That hurts!

So, when the national anthem is played, I reflect. But, not just on my own lost friends. I think about the soldiers who were involved in even worse stuff... WWII, Viet Nam, the War of Northern Aggression... They all saw a lot worse than I did, and I saw some really bad stuff.

If the national anthem were played 50 times a day, it would get old. But, it doesn't. And, at least I'm alive to have a minute of my time "wasted" respecting the selfless sacrifices others have made for me. At least I'm alive to be grateful enough to show the respect that taking my hat off symbolizes. And, thank God my father wasn't killed so I could listen to a bunch of people b!tch about having to exert the effort required to take their d@mned HAT OFF and sit still for a freaking MINUTE!!!

Re: I'm in the military. And am a veteran.

Nov 14, 2011, 10:07 PM

WELL SAID!!!

I don't sing the National Anthem or say the Pledge.

Nov 14, 2011, 8:58 PM

I don't pay tribute to the Empire that occupies my homeland.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't sing the National Anthem or say the Pledge.

Nov 14, 2011, 10:08 PM

Find another place to live.

Re: I don't sing the National Anthem or say the Pledge.

Nov 15, 2011, 7:11 AM [ in reply to I don't sing the National Anthem or say the Pledge. ]

If you don't care about this country, or it's oppressors, why do you care enough to support Ron Paul?

No.

Nov 15, 2011, 7:20 AM [ in reply to I don't sing the National Anthem or say the Pledge. ]

You exercise one of the great freedoms of our wonderful country.

Freedom of speech or in your case, freedom to remain quiet.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

But I'll bet you're glad ya did, because you got 90 points

Nov 14, 2011, 10:26 PM

Out of it

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Question

Nov 15, 2011, 7:23 AM

Are you required to remove your hat for "God Bless America".

What is proper etiquette?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 98
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic