Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it time for Clemson to find another "flagship" radio
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Is it time for Clemson to find another "flagship" radio

Apr 9, 2011, 6:23 PM

station? WCCP just is not very good. They don't focus on Clemson athletics as compared to most major universities flagship stations.

They don't seem to be able to get through any day without at least one technical difficulty and they seemed to satisfied with rather amateurish broadcasting talent. The tailgate shows are now a joke.

Time to shop around. Maybe Tigernet can start an internet radio broadcast and become the flagship. WCCP sucks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

long past time

Apr 9, 2011, 6:31 PM

WCCP is just awful of course the whole radio network coverage situation is not good either. I'm sure someone in Clemson's AD works on and is responsible for all this. To say the job they've done is poor is being very charitable

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: long past time

Apr 9, 2011, 6:49 PM

To start with you would have to break up the love feast between Tim Bourret and Dan Scott.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: long past time

Apr 9, 2011, 7:27 PM

You should feel lucky to have the coverage that you get, you live in most any other area in this country and you will not hear a quarter of the coverage you get here about the local teams. Many areas do not even have a sports talk radio in the area of the college, they listen to national sports talk that has no local flavor at all. I think WCCP is doing a good job for the market they are in, no they are not perfect, but they do a pretty good job for the size of this market. Stop bitching about everything and be thankful for what you do have, this is not Boston, NYC, or LA, I am sure you are not willing to donate any of your money to upgrade what you don't like, so enjoy what you have and it is like voting, if you don't contribute keep your mouth shut cause we don't care about hearing you and your buddy's whine all the time.

hey Lee Harper***

Apr 9, 2011, 7:32 PM

Tigersense DID donate to Tigernet....what makes you think

Apr 9, 2011, 7:35 PM [ in reply to Re: long past time ]

he wouldnt donate money to a a good radio station? I'm not sure you are in a position to make that judgement. Just because you dont...doesnt mean others wouldnt. Just sayin'

Re: Tigersense DID donate to Tigernet....what makes you think

Apr 9, 2011, 7:47 PM

If others would donate then your problem would be solved wouldn't it,but they don't, so quess that covers that point. No I do not donate money to the the radio station, other than for some of the charity things they do, for Clemson coverage because I am happy with what we have and feel lucky to have what we have.

Lee,

Apr 10, 2011, 7:50 PM

You seem like a good guy. You cant let a thread about the station upset you personally. I'm not a big fan of WCCP anymore...but dont take that to mean people dislike you.
The station is struggling since it tried the Jerry Springer approach by having Gamecocks on all the time (Gamecock Will in studio). It's hokey.

So which idiot is this from WCCP? Dude the station sucks

Apr 9, 2011, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Re: long past time ]

balls and till they get rid of Walt and the coot on changing gears many won't listen.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So which idiot is this from WCCP? Dude the station sucks

Apr 9, 2011, 7:55 PM

You seem to be listening, cause you no what is going on, did you ever stop and think that maybe they are one step ahead of you,controversy makes for a good listening audience.

WCCP is hands down the worst flagship station Clemson

Apr 9, 2011, 8:42 PM

has EVER had. I know, I've been around 52 years and heard a lot of radio. It is a real shame, the WCCP product is far behind the level WFBC in Greenville gave Clemson for so many years. It is almost too painful to even remember what we have lost.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What audience?***

Apr 9, 2011, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: So which idiot is this from WCCP? Dude the station sucks ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I listen to Walt maybe once a week and never changing gears***

Apr 10, 2011, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Re: So which idiot is this from WCCP? Dude the station sucks ]

You need to visit Columbia and listen to 107.5

Apr 9, 2011, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Re: long past time ]

I hate listening to them, but they do chicken right! By that, I mean they cover the Gamecocks much better than WCCP covers Clemson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And the coots all complain about it.

Apr 11, 2011, 6:09 AM

They have a tater on the morning show!

Grass is always greener.

Re: long past time-stuff it

Apr 9, 2011, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Re: long past time ]

I give plenty to Clemson- the school and IPTAY. I wouldn't give any commercial station anywhere squat. They have more than enough commercials every hour to make money. That's provided they put out a product someone wants to hear.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you ever lived in Cootlumbia--there are 3 stations at

Apr 9, 2011, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: long past time ]

it 24-7 for Cooter propaganda. Clemson deserves better!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHAT TIME DID THE O&W GAME END?***

Apr 9, 2011, 7:08 PM

They have Lee Harper....***

Apr 9, 2011, 7:50 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: They have Lee Harper....***

Apr 9, 2011, 8:01 PM

Lee is a good guy, don't judge people unless you know them, have friends that have played golf with Lee and they say he is a nice guy, I trust my friends and that is good enough for me. We are not ESPN here, what do you people want?????

Apr 9, 2011, 8:10 PM

then yer friends are idiots too

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

everyone in the clemson area is a good guy***

Apr 9, 2011, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Re: They have Lee Harper....*** ]

Apr 10, 2011, 10:31 PM [ in reply to Re: They have Lee Harper....*** ]

So who are you? You keep saying we when talking about wccp. I have no problem with Lee, he is a good guy.

lol "WE are not ESPN". he just gave himself up

Apr 10, 2011, 11:13 PM

you dont have friends that play golf with Lee, you are Lee. Silly Lee!

Apr 11, 2011, 7:35 PM [ in reply to Re: They have Lee Harper....*** ]

quality radio?

WAY past time.***

Apr 9, 2011, 8:01 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

Re: Is it time for Clemson to find another "flagship" radio

Apr 9, 2011, 8:21 PM

Long way overdue. If you get halfway to Spartanburg from Greenville you lose the signal. Plus we have to put up with Walt "I am the greatest, and we will get to the phones in a minite after I get to talk forever Daptula."

WYFF was our original station and it can be reached from the upperstate to below Columbia. 104,9 has about a 30 mile radius!!

Apr 9, 2011, 8:49 PM

Now the great DipTula has a double eagle to his credit. Just go out to Bristol and ask about him but be prepared for a good laugh.

WFBC

Apr 11, 2011, 12:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Is it time for Clemson to find another "flagship" radio ]

When I first started following Clemson sports, this was the station that carried Clemson sports, and it had the tailgate show with Russ Cassell and Jane Robelot. This station was an oldies station in the 80s, and at some point in the 90s became B 93.7 with today's young adult music, and is still that way today. It never has been a sports talk radio station in my life. It is a strong station, and a lot of that has to do with its transmitter being on Caesar's Head mountain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFBC

Russ Cassell and Jane Robelot are not coming back. That's pretty much how Robelot got her start, then she was hired by WSPA in Spartanburg, then went to a national level, some people thought she could be the next Katie Couric. But, she had some health problems, Crohn's disease that held her back, and she is back in Greenville, but working for WYFF on a part time basis. I just do not see her coming back to where she pretty much got her start, after where she has been.

http://www.wyff4.com/station/10715496/detail.html

Russ Cassell has his own political talk show on an AM station in the upstate. It's a conservative show, but I have heard a lot of complaints about him, even a lot of conservatives that don't like him. I don't listen to him, so I don't really have my own opinion on the matter.

Comparing a radio station in Clemson to stations in Atlanta and Columbia is laughable. I will agree with the majority that they do have too many technical issues, and need a stronger signal to be our flagship station, but that's all I can agree on.

There was a host on their ten years ago named "Mad Dog," and he was fired for defending Shyatt and saying Clemson would never be a basketball school being in a rural area, at least that's what I was told was the reason for his firing.

There was Big Moe, but he loved to talk pro sports, and nobody in the upstate wants to hear about pro sports, except for maybe the Atlanta Braves or Carolina Panthers on occasion. From what I understand he was canned as well, but he always had a good personality.

Over the years on this website, I heard some people say they loved Jim Rome or Pac-Man, and some hated them, it was about 50/50.

If Clemson were located in Greenville things would probably be a lot different, but it's not. If they opened up a talk-show in G-ville they would have to cater to a gamecock audience, even though Clemson fans are the majority in Greenville. The point is, even though Clemson is not far from a decent sized city like Greenville, it's still not in Greenville. In Georgia, if you are a college football fan and choose one of the in state schools to root for probably a good 80% root for UGA, unlike the 50/50 in this state. Georgia can set up camp in Atlanta and not worry about stepping on GT's feet. Schools like UGA and Scar will have an advantage over us when it comes to radio stations, and newspapers, because of location in South Carolina, and who the natives root for in Georgia.

I don't know why anyone has a problem with Dan Scott? He pretty much talks about what the callers talk about. Mickey is the only homer that is in charge of a show, but I have a weird work schedule and rarely get to tune in to him.

I don't have that big of a problem with gamecocks like Greg Finley, he is not disrespectful towards Clemson or anything. But I guess they could go back to Jim Rome, and let the complaints start back up about him.

As far as Walt, he is arrogant, but probably knows more about sports than anyone else on WCCP. Walt is smart enough to know that all of his bold predictions will not pan out, but he's also right on a good bit of them. If you hate him so much, call him and rub it in his face when he is wrong.

Basically I just agree with whomever said that it's better to have this than nothing. Once again, the only thing I agree with the majority on is the technical problems and weak signal.

I have nothing to compare it to, but...

Apr 9, 2011, 8:26 PM

I like Walt's show when he discusses sports. Very knowledgable. I went with his UConn b-ball pick and did pretty well.

Don't like shows that do ladies basketball at Furman and on and on and on and on...

You're right - if you listen to WSB in Atlanta......

Apr 9, 2011, 8:40 PM

(UGA flagship station) they act like it hurts them to even mention Georgia Tech, much less do much talking about them. On the other hand, WCCP seems to be in love with Carolina.

WCCP was a two-bit, redneck station when I was in school in the 70s - it still is.

I'm sure Greg is a good guy and all

Apr 9, 2011, 8:51 PM

but why is he doing "sports talk"? He is a gamecock through and through but tries to act like he sorta likes Clemson. Mainly his show is bible verses and old guys reminiscing about players in the 50's.

Agree! Clemson deserves better.***

Apr 9, 2011, 9:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah--maybe hartwell georgia radio wants the gig******

Apr 9, 2011, 10:34 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

You are stuck with WCCP.......

Apr 11, 2011, 5:57 PM

or it seems that way. Now I agree that the pregame shows have fallen off drastically over the years, and six hours is a bit long to start your pregame broadcast, but they have nothing else to do, so why not. But Clemson gets coverage from CCP that they wouldn't get anywhere else. Football and men's basketball are a given, but other things would not be on a normal station that actually competes for ratings in the mainstream. No station that cares about rating would carry baseball, much less women's basketball. But it seems CU can get CCP to carry just about anything so they can be the flagship station. It is what it is.

Re: You are stuck with WCCP.......

Apr 11, 2011, 6:08 PM

women's basketball is probably "piggy-backed" onto the football and basketball contract ......Clemson baseball has always been a fairly popular broadcast entity and I doubt they have a great deal of trouble selling advertising for it

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2011, 6:41 PM

I agree, sometimes it is painful to listen . Technical problems need to be worked out

What else could they do?...

Apr 11, 2011, 6:42 PM

they broadcast what is in the contract with Clemson. WCCP does not choose the broadcasters, Clemson does.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic