Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Clemson story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

My Clemson story

Sep 8, 2011, 2:35 PM

I attended my first Clemson game in Death Valley in 1979. Clemson beat WFU that day 30-0 as I recall. A good friend of mine, a Wake man, invited me to go. Our seats were in the N. side visitor section. This was before the N. upper deck was added. We were treated great that day, from walking around campus, the tailgating with Orange clad friendly strangers, throughout the game, the after game tailgate and Tiger Paws were everywhere!. I remember being impressed and intrigued with the respect and pride these people had for Clemson University. That day I knew I would soon return to this special place.

As many on this board will attest, Clemson gets into you and then you get into Clemson. Clemson is a proud family, pure and simple. I joined IPTAY, the Loyalty Fund and became a season ticket holder. Our first seats were in the old West stands, then to the new N. upper deck and finally worked (contributed) my way to the South lower stands.

Over the years I have made numerous good friends with many Clemson family members, traveled untold miles to home, away, and bowl games. I still get that indescribable warm feeling when I drive into Tiger Town, go by the Esso club, walk the beautiful campus and especially when I hear Tiger Rag for the first time on game day.

I have been asked countless times to explain both my attraction to Clemson and love and support of a school I did not attend. I really don't have the words. I suppose you have to experience Clemson for yourself as I did on that special first visit years ago.

Where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness.......

If you are a Clemson Tiger....you understand.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Clemson story

Sep 8, 2011, 2:45 PM

Congrats on your 50th point. ;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, whenever I go to Clemson I feel like.....

Sep 8, 2011, 2:56 PM

I'm going home. I'm 56 now but the feeling is just as strong (if not stronger) than when I graduated.

Gorsh, you are

Sep 8, 2011, 3:17 PM

old. ;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

My thoughts as well.......

Sep 8, 2011, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Yeah, whenever I go to Clemson I feel like..... ]

it does feel like I'm going home. When I retire, it WILL be my home.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2011, 3:19 PM

My Dad graduated from Clemson. He led the way for 2 of his sons (including me) and 2 grandkids (so far) to graduate form Clemson. His accomplishments while in Clemson were many and he was a highly honored IPTAY Representative until shortly before his death. I never heard him speak a negative word about Clemson. Though he is no longer with us, I feel him whenever I'm in Clemson! And, when I march in the Alumni Band every year, I look to his seat and can almost see him in it. I thank God and my Dad every day for leading me to be a Clemson Tiger!

Sep 8, 2011, 3:25 PM

Great Story! Why so many non-alums are as great of a part of the Clemson family as the alums.

Also really explains what to Coots don't get (or just don't want to get) when they say they don't understand why we get the players that we do.

Can you just imagine if this were My Univ of South Carolina Story:

I attended my first SoCar game in The Industral Park in 2003. Clemson beat SoCar that day 63-17 as I recall. A guy I met on the road, a redneck with a mullet, invited me to go. Our seats were in the N. side visitor section. This was before the drunk section was added. We were peed on that day by a coach, from walking around campus, the tailgating with wife-beater clad strangers, throughout the game, the after game tailgate and hos were everywhere!. I remember being dismayed and intrigued with the feelings these people had for the University of South Carolina. That day I knew I hoped I would never return to this ugly place.

As many on this board will attest, SoCar is a forgettable place. SoCar is a strange group of people that bought T-shirts at Walmart and call themselves fans.

Over the years I have seen numerous So Car people give players and other fans the finger, key professor's cars and pee on the sidwalk. I still get that indescribable sick feeling when I drive into Columbia, go by the abandoned buildings, try to walk around all the cars on the dis-jointed campus and especially when I hear grown men yell Go ##### for the first time on game day.

I have been asked countless times to explain both my dislike of So Car and pity of a school I did not attend. I really don't have the words. I suppose you have to experience So Car for yourself as I did on that awful first visit years ago.

Where the cess pool widens its greatest.......

If you are a Gamecock....you understand

Sep 8, 2011, 4:00 PM

When I was a toddler my mom gave me a stuffed tiger and I slept with it until kindergarten. I grew up in the low country and only watched on TV as a kid and not many games were on back then. Of course I grew up around what felt like a million coots and they did not take kindly to me liking Clemson. I went to school as a freshman in 1982. My first game was BC with Doug Flutie and I sat on the hill and watched a 17-17 tie I think it was. I watched the N deck being built out Johnstone. I went on road games with room mates and almost no money. Went to every bowl game I could. Met my wife as a junior. I have lived as far away as Oregon and have proudly worn my orange and tiger paws everywhere I go. Nobody really understands what Clemson is about until they go for the first time. It truly takes you over and you never get it out of you even if you wanted to. It is a one of a kind place and I have been to a lot of colleges so the sample size is pretty good. I took my oldest son to games when he was as young as 7 when we moved back from Oregon. He is now a sophomore at Clemson. My youngest son attended his first game last year (we lived in Indiana for 8 yr). He told me after the first game against PC that he finally understood why we liked Clemson so much and why we could not wait to get back every time even if we were driving by on I85. He would not miss one now. I love Clemson and it has been very good to me career wise and other wise. No where else even comes close! GO TIGERS!!

My grandparents took me to my first Clemson game the

Sep 8, 2011, 6:11 PM

week after I was born. I always remember them having Tigers everywhere. I can remember growing up and tailgating at Clemson. I remember the friendliness Clemson fans always gave to opposing teams (the exception was Georgia fans who met hospitality with hostility). I remember games being a big family get together where the majority of my family (my mom, dad, uncle, aunt, grandparents, brother, sister and brother) always went. I remember feeling like everyone in Clemson was a family, even opposing teams. I now try to get as many of my friends to come to the games with me as I can. All of this is what played a large role in my choosing Clemson as my college, even when better academic establishments gave me similar offers.

My mistake, two weeks after I was born.***

Sep 8, 2011, 6:14 PM

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic