Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This weekend with da feels (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

This weekend with da feels (long)

Apr 22, 2018, 10:17 AM

I’m getting too emotional as I age. Emptied out the tear ducts plenty this weekend.

I’ve shared some background re: my son on the autism spectrum. He’s come a long way and is somewhat high functioning these days. Been playing on a Coaches Pitch baseball team this spring. No hits, but coaches do a great job of supporting him and getting him into the outfield a few innings each game.

Friday afternoon game during his at bat, they stopped the game and announced an ‘unlimited strike’ at bat. Coach pitched much closer than normal, and son finally made contact.

What I didn’t know, is our coach coordinated a ‘hero homerun’ with the other teams’ coach. The other team proceeded to Bad News Bear throw the ball all over the field, allowing my son to hit a 5ft ‘homerun’ and race around the bases. Both teams ran out of dugout and swarmed son at home.

Confidence sky high and smile on his face, son smoked the ball to 3B next at bat. Crowd erupts. My son too busy celebrating the hit that he forgot to run to first. Exciting times nonetheless.

Son awarded the game ball and he has slept with it each night. @ryanadidas needs this coach.

Saturday morning was a concert/recital for special needs kids using music therapy. Wide range of functioning children, but incredible to see transformation once they are given instrument or chance to perform. One boy could barely control his muscles before performance, but played a beautiful song on the piano. It was uplifting and a blessing to see the smiles on both children and parents.

Thanks for listening. Love your children and give them hugs. Continue to lift up any child who struggles.

Now back to regular Lunge programming.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

:) ******

Apr 22, 2018, 10:21 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats really cool the coaches orchestrated that.***

Apr 22, 2018, 10:49 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is awesome******

Apr 22, 2018, 10:57 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good stuff, how it ought to be at that age.

Apr 22, 2018, 12:26 PM

I’m assuming ryanadidas son does not play on that team?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's great!***

Apr 22, 2018, 12:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent.

Apr 22, 2018, 7:45 PM

That get's to me too. ?

Best thing I've read today, thanks for that dave!***

Apr 22, 2018, 8:38 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mumbette has worked a lot with special needs kids, some with

Apr 23, 2018, 4:51 AM

autism. It takes a special person to do this, and it sounds like you and your son have found a great group of people.

I hope the rest of us can share some good news stories like this. It helps restore our faith in humanity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

That's awesome

Apr 23, 2018, 8:23 AM

I can't imagine how hard it would be to have a child like that. Glad he is getting some love.

Obligatory lunge post:
He playing football this year?

Is this real?

Apr 23, 2018, 11:48 AM

Did some Mfer really jack that kid up like that ?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This weekend with da feels (long)

Apr 23, 2018, 9:36 AM

Man I could read post like this all day long! Good stuff!

WOW. That got me a little choked up.

Apr 23, 2018, 9:58 AM

Really awesome. :)

I'm not teared up, shut up.***

Apr 23, 2018, 11:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Great story! I can relate to dem feels...

Apr 23, 2018, 11:53 AM

son-of is also on the Spectrum and diagnosed with ADHD and ODD too. From an autism spectrum perspective, he's very high functioning and I can only imagine how difficult it must be to further up the spectrum (not sure that's the correct terminology).

Good on you for involving him in sports!! Playing team sports has been huge for my son. He's become really good at soccer and half decent at basketball and the confidence that has come from that has helped him make big strides socially.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's controversial these days

Apr 23, 2018, 1:04 PM

But our household celebrates those 'participation' trophies. Immense rewards watching him try to be part of a team, focus as best as he can, and put in the effort. Our definition of success is very different than other parents on the team.

We've tried a few sports, and baseball has really worked well due to the pace of play, team focus, and phenomenal coach. Putting on the baseball uniform is like a superhero costume for him. So focused and ready once we start gearing up.

Soccer and lacrosse were train wrecks (threatened the lax coach). Golf has been nice, but doesn't support his social development as much as we'd like.

Glad to see you're having success with your son. Keep up the great work of being a parent! Hope each day goes a bit smoother than the prior.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not crying you're crying***

Apr 23, 2018, 11:53 AM

I like your funny words magic man

Just Qurious

Apr 23, 2018, 1:06 PM

did you follow the normal vaccination schedule or did you spread them out

Re: Just Qurious

Apr 23, 2018, 1:08 PM

2nd r/JesusChristReddit I have seen on here today***

Apr 23, 2018, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Just Qurious ]

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not gonna happen

Apr 23, 2018, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Just Qurious ]

I will say we followed the exact same vaccination schedule for our second child.

My son had an autistic teammate in soccer a couple years ago

Apr 23, 2018, 1:27 PM

The kid's parents said he was actually pretty good at golf but that he enjoyed being on a team. He didn't completely suck at soccer, mostly he was just easily distracted and lacked attention. But he did a good job at playing defense, mostly just getting in the way of the other team.

Possibly the proudest I've ever been of my son was the last quarter of his team's last game. Their team was up by a lot and both my son and this kid were playing forward. My son had numerous opportunities to score, yet every time he yelled this kid's name and passed it to him. My son was a monster that quarter constantly tracking the ball down with his only goal to get this kid a goal. Each time the kid either mishandled the pass, missed the goal, or the goalie made a save. Finally he helped get this kid set up and the kid scored. The kid's celebration was awesome and my son just casually walked back to center and high fived him.

I asked my son after the game if the coach had asked him to do that, he just said "no, last season I didn't score a goal and I wanted him to score".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are raising your son to be a good man!***

Apr 23, 2018, 1:31 PM

I keep trying to tell his middle school teachers that

Apr 23, 2018, 1:36 PM

he's not the little #### that they think he is. But in reality he's both an incredibly empathetic kid, and a little ####.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow,

Apr 23, 2018, 3:46 PM

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic