Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Speaking of speaking of Augusta...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 751

Speaking of speaking of Augusta...

Apr 10, 2019, 9:50 AM

The egg salad sammiches are the best egg salad I have ever eaten...and I make a pretty mean egg salad myself. One might say they are eggsellent. The pimento cheese is fantastic, but now that there seems to be a cottage industry of craft pimento cheeses, I can't say it's the best, but certainly one of the top choices. The peach ice cream sandwiches are worth taking a human life for. Those and the caramel peanut clusters are dessert perfection. And everything you hear about the pricing is spot on...dirt cheap concessions and a system for getting you in and out with your food that every other venue could take a lesson from.

On the other hand, the golf shop was a complete madhouse. It truly reminded me of being at one of those sales at Filene's Basement where people were assaulting each other to get their hands on merchandise that you used to hear about. Joonyer bought a sack full of swag and I tagged along with him, but I could not justify in my mind the need for $150 polo shirts.

The course is absolutely gorgeous, and after a couple of days of hard rains even the mud there is spectacularly unique. The best part of the day was posting up in the stands by #16 and watching the pros skip balls across the water to the green. I could have watched that all day, and most of the players were very gracious and interacted with the crowd like nowhere else on the course.

I would highly suggest that if you haven't created an account and put your name in the lottery for tickets yet that you do so, because it's one of the greatest sports bucket list items on the planet even if you really don't care about golf. Reading about it or seeing it on TV doesn't do it justice at all.

And the super deluxe Master's bonus of the day was going down a block from the course to Hooter's and meeting the legendary John Daly, getting an autographed pin flag and a picture with him.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Practice days are definitely the most fun there.

Apr 10, 2019, 10:02 AM

Today is the par 3 tourney. Wish i was there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Up through the 90’s practices were no big whoop

Apr 10, 2019, 10:08 AM

You wanted a ticket? Order in advance or Show up at the gate and pay your $17, no waiting.

Turns out those who bought the practice round tickets every year when it was like that were the ones put on the last waiting list for badges.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my buddy finally got Masters Tourney tickets 3-4 years go

Apr 10, 2019, 12:51 PM

He and his wife got on the waiting list up in 1985, right after they got married. Yes, that's 1985. 30+ years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

tuesdays are Crasss favorite day to be on property***

Apr 10, 2019, 10:05 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Crass will be at La Heritage next week...goot times***

Apr 10, 2019, 10:05 AM

I’ll be there in Thursday

Apr 10, 2019, 1:11 PM

Wanna meat up and buy me a beer?

shur***

Apr 10, 2019, 1:33 PM

12th tee at 12?***

Apr 10, 2019, 4:05 PM

Mine was always Friday though the practice rounds were

Apr 10, 2019, 3:08 PM [ in reply to tuesdays are Crasss favorite day to be on property*** ]

a blast in the old days until they turned into Lil’ Woodstock and they put an end to the UDP Masters and started the lottery for practice rounds also.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AWESOME

Apr 10, 2019, 10:06 AM

I concur on the egg salad.

The fan shop was undoubtedly the worst change last year from when I used to go back in the 80’s and 90’s when my grandfather had badges. Not only was it chaos, and the prices high, but the scalpers were rampant. I got Friday badges last year through the lottery, and at 9am there were guys with badges leaving with 10 bags each full of merchandise to resell online for double, and from what I heard most of them had no intention of watching any golf.

Seems as though Augusta National could really crack down on those folks if they wanted to.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

number and register the shirts and hats?***

Apr 10, 2019, 10:31 AM

One other thing I noticed about hats & shirts yesterday...

Apr 10, 2019, 10:36 AM

Not a single piece of swag in orange.

I’m thinking a no re-entry policy

Apr 10, 2019, 10:36 AM [ in reply to number and register the shirts and hats?*** ]

If you want to buy 50 shirts, fine, but you’re going to be carrying them around all day if you hope to watch any golf.

A per-badge merchandise limit could work too. It would cut revenues, but Augusta has done plenty of other revenue-limiting moves in the past in an attempt to protect the brand.

I haven't looked, but it sure seems like there would be a

Apr 10, 2019, 11:09 AM

lot of knock-off Masters stuff made in China and sold for cheap like every other pro sports jersey is. I'm not sure what the draw of having official gear is if you're going to buy it from an eBay vendor in the first place.

Imma be honest here, I can get you 50 Master's polo shirts

Apr 10, 2019, 11:38 AM

for $10 each probably on Ali Express

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there's a Goodwill store

Apr 10, 2019, 11:39 AM [ in reply to I haven't looked, but it sure seems like there would be a ]

a couple miles out from the property towards Martinez that almost always has a proliferation of ANGC/Masters stuff, sometimes even has its own section when stock is high. Evidently the locals donate their Masters garb to this one in bulk, probably lots of the tourney workers that get freebies every year, along with the old widows cleaning out their dearly departed's closets.

I don't frequent Goodwill stores on the norm, but I HAVE to stop in there whenever I pass through Augusta just to check it out. Over the years I have gotten basically new $100 Bobby Jones polos, $200 Peter Millar pullovers, and many other jackets and rainjackets with the little yellow USA logo for $6, $8, whatever the Goodwill price is. I don't mind giving out my little secret because last time I was in there, there had to be over 100 Masters-related items to pick from, every size and color. And seems half my closet is Masters garb, whatever isn't Clemson. I got way too much.

Any Green Sport Coats?

Apr 10, 2019, 3:52 PM

in say a 48 Reg?

Sorry for the delay......this is one of the main culprits

Apr 10, 2019, 3:52 PM [ in reply to I haven't looked, but it sure seems like there would be a ]

https://www.mmogolf.com/

There are a few out there like this. It's pure resale of the stuff you get inside the gates at a hefty markup, and if you saw those guys with armfuls of bags, they were making runs for places like this.

Seems like if they changed the value proposition via limits so that spending thousands for a badge for a runner didn't result in much of an ROI for the amount of merchandise one was able to buy, these guys would give up because there'd be no profit in it.

RH Tig

set it up like an amusement park

Apr 10, 2019, 3:56 PM

the swag is at the exit after the "ride"

Make em walk the whole course to get to it.

Gonna miss it this year due to scheduling fark up

Apr 10, 2019, 10:25 AM

I'm with the egg salad crowd, tasty yellow stuff between some squishy white bread...best followed by a swallow of cold beer in the warm sunlight. However, I can't agree on the pimento cheese sammich. I'm a verified expert in pimento cheese and ANGC pimcheese is middlin' at best. To me, it is just bland.

Favorite spot: Right side of the green at #3, excellent view of the approach shot and putting surface, easy access to beer and restroom.

Oddest moment in recent years: Landing area on 18, having relaxed conversation with random drunk dude who has worked in that he's former government intelligence, worked in Iran, now employed in some kind of maintenance engineering capacity. Fixes MrsSlac's sunglasses with a pine twig while singing "Downtown" to himself in his finest Petula Clark voice.

Strange and wonderful place the ANGC is.

where's the pig?***

Apr 10, 2019, 11:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

They get their pimento cheese from Wife Saver.***

Apr 10, 2019, 3:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Until 2013 they did.

Apr 10, 2019, 3:17 PM

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/mystery-masters-pimento-cheese/

Re: Until 2013 they did.

Apr 10, 2019, 3:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Replies: 24
| visibility 751
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic