Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SC gets a lot of things wrong with transportation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 558

SC gets a lot of things wrong with transportation

Jan 23, 2019, 11:00 AM

That said, I'm always thankful to not be a driver in Virginia

https://www.thenewspaper.com/news/66/6635.asp

"Drivers who take a highway exit to avoid having to pay a toll on Virginia's Interstate 81 could end up paying far more after a ticket arrives in the mail. The state Senate Transportation Committee will consider a proposal later today that would authorize tolling on I-81. Introduced by state Senator Mark D. Obenshain (R-Harrisonburg), the measure would also allow private companies to operate a new type of automated photo enforcement camera that issues tickets based on a motorist's choice of route. Those attempting to save a bit of money by taking a side street could be subjected to a fine set by the Commonwealth Transportation Board.

"The operator of a vehicle that the board determines is through traffic or that is subject to a through travel restriction... shall be considered to be in violation... if the operator (i) exits the interstate highway to travel on a parallel route in proximity and prior to a toll collection point and (ii) re-enters the interstate highway after the same toll collection point that demonstrates the routes traveled were selected to avoid paying the toll at such toll collection point, determined by the board," Senate Bill 1716 states."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes

Jan 23, 2019, 11:05 AM

Yes

I do this often on 85 to avoid traffic, the 46 and 44 exits when combined will get you maybe a mile and a half down the road.

Re: Yes***

Jan 23, 2019, 11:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Virginia law sucks in many ways, for sure.***

Jan 23, 2019, 11:07 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BS, twice over

Jan 23, 2019, 11:11 AM

first, if they're open, legal roads, why can't a driver take them?
turd, We just recently started taking that way up to NJ and back when we drive...it's a MUCH nicer drive than 85/95, and the no tolls thing was a welcomed perk, as well

I travel up and down I81 a lot. US11 runs parallel to I81

Jan 23, 2019, 11:34 AM

a lot. It's not unusual for people to get off of 81 and take 11 due to less traffic. Also, not unusual for people to get on or off 81 for a short time in their normal local travels. I can't see their software being smart enough to really determine that you're avoiding the toll.

Personally, I think they should take pictures of all the out-of-state license tags, and only charge the toll to them. Let the people from somewhere else, clogging up our scenic highway, pay for the road improvements.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

actually that is kind of the plan. locals can buy a season

Jan 23, 2019, 11:42 AM

pass foer a very low cost.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah like hotel taxes and meals taxes.

Jan 23, 2019, 11:43 AM

too bad we can't get a season pass to be exempt from meals taxes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes, that is bs and should be taken to court

Jan 23, 2019, 11:38 AM

if implemented.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed, the big toll road corp getting greedy***

Jan 23, 2019, 12:26 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

What?!?!?!?

Jan 23, 2019, 12:04 PM

Oh, no sirree Bob.

Replies: 10
| visibility 558
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic