Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Still wish we'd just drop basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 2,081

Still wish we'd just drop basketball

Mar 21, 2015, 8:01 PM

All together and move on. Save the money. I love my tigers but feel we're investing in a losing product. I'm happy being a football school. I know this won't go over well but it's my opinion.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Although I don't agree with your opinion...

Mar 21, 2015, 8:04 PM

I'll defend to the death your right to speak it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Although I don't agree with your opinion...

Mar 21, 2015, 8:13 PM

Thanks. I know most won't agree but it's where I'm at. Thats what this board is about. Speaking ones mind. And basketball won't ever be "great" at Clemson. Is what it is. With mid majors out doing us and football taking off, it doesn't bother me. But investing millions that likely won't change anything does. Considering thats "our" money, I'd rather them save it.

You say that basketball won't ever be great at Clemson.

Mar 21, 2015, 8:54 PM

That's a pretty sorry attitude to have. Are you that pessimistic in all of life's endeavors? I hope not.

I know you are probably going to say that we have always been a relatively poor basketball program, but we have never fully committed to basketball. It's not fair to say that we will never be great when we have never invested in basketball in a meaningful way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You say that basketball won't ever be great at Clemson.

Mar 21, 2015, 8:57 PM

I'm a realist. We've already invested and results didn't chNge. Are you the guy that tells his wife, don't worry, I'll make money this time. I won't lose our mortgage payment. This ones a winner?

There's a difference in realizing a situation and being a negative person.

Re: Although I don't agree with your opinion...

Mar 21, 2015, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Although I don't agree with your opinion... ]

To your death? Or the death of wrestling and swimming?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still wish we'd just drop basketball

Mar 21, 2015, 8:21 PM

with that kind of logic, coots would have given up football decades ago.

how about keep pluggin, never give up attitude. it I is called work ethic, taking a challenge, the good ole American try, never say die attitude. people these days give up way too easy. ever worked for anything, or has it all been handed to you? grow a pair and act like a man, or at least a respectable woman. if not, keep your whiney bs to yourself, and go change your tampon

Mar 21, 2015, 8:27 PM

EOT. I'm fine with us giving it a "try". But don't investing more Money. What did they invest in the early 2000s help. Nothing. Not a single thing. Now we're just tossing money away. You grow a pair and say enough is enough. Let them play their way but a new arena isn't going to make them better. Last I looked we didn't build a new football stadium to get better.

Mar 21, 2015, 8:33 PM

we are building a new wt. room, coaches offices, players activity center,....etc... adjacent to our recently built indoor practice facility. DUH!!! we succeed in football because the commitment is there. If we commit to succeed in bball we will do better, may never be UCLA, but we will compete

Mar 21, 2015, 8:35 PM

We're already successful in football. Pay attention. We compete. We beat top 10 teams. Those may help us win a NC. We can't wven make the tournament in basketball. Not even comparable.

Mar 21, 2015, 8:47 PM

Basketball is one of only two profitable sports at Clemson. I believe the profit is between 4&5 million dollars a year. That money would have to be taken from football. If you don't play
basketball you do not get a share of the ACC basketball TV
revenue.

Mar 21, 2015, 8:49 PM

I'm ok with playing it. But not investing in it. Title post is more for the "point" than actual thought. I Don't want it gone but I'm over it

Mar 21, 2015, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Still wish we'd just drop basketball ]

no you pay attention. I went to death valley before upper decks. we haven't always been successful in football. When I was A CU student we won A NC in FB and made it to the elite 8 in BB. Our facilities, etc, were competitive. We fell behind in both sports and paid a price. Remember Tommy West? Good guy, couldn't get the job done. WE chose to get back in the game with football, and have done so successfully. We have piece-mealed basketball, so you get what we have now. LACK OF COMMITMENT EQUALS MEDIOCRITY, and I've seen it at Clemson in both sports over the years. Thankfully we have INVESTED in football. We are investing in baseball. Results will follow. If we don't commit to success in whatever sport, it aint gonna happen.
What do KY., UNC, Duke, Indiana, etc... put there priority on? Alabama, So.Cal, Georgia, Clemson? They are all known as a BBall school, or FTball schools because that is what they have done best historically, but all make that choice to excel in one sport or the other.

Jesus Christ what else does football need?

Mar 21, 2015, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Still wish we'd just drop basketball ]

There are other sports on campus. Football already gets 75% of the stuff. Helping basketball facilities does not hurt football

Re: Jesus Christ what else does football need?

Mar 21, 2015, 8:45 PM

Agreed. Doesn't hurt football but its a waste of our money. Tennis, soccer, women's rowing, etc would benefit more. We stink at basketball and money won't change that.

Re: Jesus Christ what else does football need?

Mar 21, 2015, 8:46 PM

And all thenpussies giving me a TD for this. Get a life. It's called an opinion and for grown ups. Haven't bashed anyone. Pusses

Well I agree with you then

Mar 21, 2015, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Jesus Christ what else does football need? ]

The other sports facilities keep getting pushed back and back

Mar 21, 2015, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Still wish we'd just drop basketball ]

Mar 21, 2015, 9:04 PM

Yeah.....

And USuCk should drop football....

;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tigers don't quit***

Mar 21, 2015, 9:10 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Mar 21, 2015, 9:11 PM

Please name all the major programs that don't have a basketball team?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you imagine being in the ACC

Mar 21, 2015, 9:16 PM

without a basketball team?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Can you imagine being in the ACC

Mar 21, 2015, 9:26 PM

Oh the horror! The things they might say about us!

not just the major

Mar 21, 2015, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Still wish we'd just drop basketball ]

every school in the country with sports has basketball. It's like the first sport schools get

Perhaps surprising to our younger crowd, this idea

Mar 22, 2015, 7:49 AM

has been floating for years - even back during my days in the 60's when tin can "debates" raged over our basketball program.

I don't expect Clemson to terminate it; thus, either we decide to continue relegating it to a secondary role, accepting the status quo or we make the commitment needed to excellence. Most Clemson folks would support the latter...even those who are football enthusiasts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2015, 7:59 AM

Hey - if CLEMSON treated it like a business as UAB did with football, then BBall would be bye-bye already. I've watched CLEMSON BBall long enough to know it's never going to amount to anything. It is nothing more than a game that other teams circle on their calendars as a "W". Saying it is painful to watch is an understatement.

Of course, I've said similar things regarding BBall here before, so nothing new about my view on this sport.

UAB dropped football due to cash, not losses

Mar 22, 2015, 8:20 AM

all the money in the state is funneled to Bama or Auburn. They had their first winning season in years last year. Hoops makes money, and we've had all of 2 losing seasons since 2004. Great, no. Horrid, ugh, no.

Replies: 26
| visibility 2,081
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic