Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Speaking of man made climate change
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 753

Speaking of man made climate change

Jul 14, 2019, 9:59 AM

Here’s an interesting couple studies, which are linked in the summary article, that cast some doubt on man’s contribution, or at least our ability to reliably calculate man’s contribution.

Just a couple additional data points in a large topic, but interesting nonetheless.

Sorry if Germans—haven’t been around much past couple days.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-07-11/scientists-finland-japan-man-made-climate-change-doesnt-exist-practice

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Speaking of man made climate change

Jul 14, 2019, 10:05 AM

Oh boy, that is gonna poke a stick in their hornets nest for sure.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2019, 12:12 PM

That is interesting, but unpersuasive. I prefer to trust the other 97% of the Climate scientists whose opinions and data contradict this story.

Zerohedge is one of the least objective sites I know. As a matter of fact they're history of disseminating this Administrations propaganda is well established.

It is is worthy of note that not only does Trump still call climate change a hoax, he is also the only person in America I think that still denies the Russians attempted to interfere in our elections. That's a hoax too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Poor Lindsey he can’t get on the right side of anything

Jul 14, 2019, 12:16 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=25662410#25662410

Climate change is real.

Jul 14, 2019, 12:17 PM

The earth has been warming for at least 200 years. Carbon dioxide does emit infrared radiation. Man, to some degree, has contributed to this. That much is pretty clear. What is not clear at all, is how much is caused by humans vs. natural variability; since we don't know the extent of our impact, can we even do anything to impact the warming? How will this warming trend play out over the next 100 years (will it continue or level off on it's own?)? What are the possible unintended consequences of actions we may take to throttle carbon emmissions? All of that is not settled.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Climate change is real.

Jul 14, 2019, 10:36 PM

Lol. It's very clear. We've contributed to >99.9% of climate change.

Without our contribution, the climate would be the same as it was in 1700. Natural changes would take thousands of years to move the needle.

Jul 15, 2019, 6:36 AM

That is an ABSOLUTE pile of crap! Absolutely! Think for yourself, man...stop listening to money-grubbers and self-serving politicians!

Man hasn't come close...not remotely CLOSE to the impact Krakatoa made on this planet in one blast. One eruption.

Riddle me this: why didn't two world wars, Korea, and Viet Nam have an impact on the world's climate? Those soldiers at the Battle of the Bulge and in Korea weren't sunning themselves.

Look, I'm all for limiting emissions, simply because it only makes sense. I don't need fear and misguided agendas to influence that line of thought.

It's fine to have a cause, but it can't come at the expense of blasting to he77 rational thought of others. And most assuredly, global warming's mantra can't come at the expense of the USA and its' taxpayers, when the US has been decades ahead of the rest of the world. To hear people talk, you'd think the US was still belching coal smoke into the air.

Based on 'scientists', who I trust as much as ambulance-chasing lawyers, used car salesmen and politicians, Earth should resemble Venus by now. Frankly, it will one day...but we'll be long gone, regardless successful or failed human impact reduction efforts.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 10:20 AM

I have data to back up my position. You have Sean Hannity.

Jul 14, 2019, 12:24 PM

It is further significant that the paper is not peer reviewed and contains multiple flaws. Why conservative's cling to the whole no Climate change idea is beyond me. The Republicans and fossil fuel industry have managed to make climate denial a cornerstone of conservatism.

It makes no sense at all. How is climate change political?

You really, really can't trust right-wing zerohedge to give you accurate info any more than you can trust Rachel Maddow on MSNBC.

"Non-peer-reviewed manuscript falsely claims natural cloud changes can explain global warming"

https://climatefeedback.org/claimreview/non-peer-reviewed-manuscript-falsely-claims-natural-cloud-changes-can-explain-global-warming/

Climate change is not political, but has become

Jul 14, 2019, 12:57 PM

highly politicized. You know that. It has become politicized because according to many, it can be addressed and a crisis averted only by tremedous monetary investment, largely in the form of direct or indirect taxation through government regulations. Any reputable, serious scientist who dares to challenge or question any such supporting scientific opinion, is marginalized and often villified, because the science has become politicized and the politics, quite humorously, has become scientized. Neither is good.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Climate change is not political, but has become

Jul 14, 2019, 1:00 PM

I agree, and the reason it's become politicized is sizable campaign contributions by the fossil fuel industry.

Both sides are at fault here.

I know it's easier to dismiss the messenger...

Jul 14, 2019, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Speaking of man made climate change ]

Like I said, the links to the studies were contained in the article, and it would be interesting to hear what you think of it rather than what your instant feedback loop climate denial refutation generator site (totally unbiased and independent I'm sure) tells you to think.

The major use case of arXiv is for disseminating manuscripts that you also publish in a journal or conference. By posting a preprint on arXiv, people can find your research, build on it, cite it, and give you feedback on it immediately, while at the same time the same work goes through the (sometimes slow) peer review process. Some of these papers will fall out of the peer review pipeline at some point, and only appear on arXiv, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are less useful, important, or sound.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know it's easier to dismiss the messenger...

Jul 15, 2019, 10:17 AM

Well, let me quote the great climate scientist Lindey Graham. "You have 9 out of 10 climate scientist that believe in climate change, I choose to believe the 9 not the 1."

If you're using consensus to validate science, it's not

Jul 15, 2019, 10:38 AM

really science at all. Aside from that point, the whole 97 percent thing has been known to be bullshitt for quite a while, but at this point it's been repeated so often that it's taken on a life of its own.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepstein/2015/01/06/97-of-climate-scientists-agree-is-100-wrong/#413cc02e3f9f

too many people, genocide is the solution

Jul 15, 2019, 6:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Speaking of man made climate change ]

keep the poor people with small carbon footprints and kill old white guys that drive trucks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2019, 2:53 PM

The cause doesn't matter to me and I don't think it can be stopped (maybe slowed at best). However, there's no reason not to proactively deal with the inevitable fallout.

Jul 14, 2019, 2:58 PM

when an article cites inaccurate data in the second paragraph, does that mean i get to stop reading?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2019, 3:04 PM

when an article cites inaccurate data in the second paragraph, does that mean i get to stop reading?

Yes, at that point the article becomes a drink coaster, are a place for a new puppy to peee.

Interesting observation,

Jul 14, 2019, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Speaking of man made climate change ]

and would be a lot more interesting if you actually posted the inaccuracy you believed you saw.

Re: Interesting observation,

Jul 15, 2019, 4:08 AM

The earth's temp has changed 2 degrees Celsius over the last 100 years, not .1 degrees. The article also cites a handful of opinions comprised of junk science..

example

New evidence suggests that high-energy particles from space known as galactic cosmic rays affect the Earth's climate by increasing cloud cover, causing an "umbrella effect."

this is utter garbage. and there is no consensus that increased cloud cover would warm the planet, the exact opposite has been observed.

https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/clouds/articles/wild_card_climate.pdf
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/phenomena/galactic-cosmic-rays

And then of Course Zero Hedge? Is this where you go for news?

But hey, at least you guys are admitting there is a problem, 10 years ago the right denied the problem even existed and claimed that the earth was getting cooler. that is some progress.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pro tip

Jul 15, 2019, 10:34 AM

The climate "experts" started claiming the Earth was getting cooler a long time before the right.

Some replies to your other points:

#1---your perceived inaccuracy: "The earth's temp has changed 2 degrees Celsius over the last 100 years, not .1 degrees". Where to start....first, your statistic is wrong. The IPCC, whom I'm guessing you'll consider a good source, says it's warmed 1.33 degrees F, or .74 decrees Celsius over the past 100 years...that's a significant inaccuracy. Secondly, and more importantly, the sentence you're referencing clearly says "During the last hundred years the temperature increased about 0.1°C because of carbon dioxide. The human contribution was about 0.01°C”---key words there "because of carbon dioxide", which implies the author's belief that other factors led to other portions of the temperature increase.

#2---As for clouds, it's only garbage if you don't understand clouds and their effect on temperature. "If more high clouds were to form, more heat energy radiating from the surface and lower atmosphere toward space would be trapped in the atmosphere, and Earth’s average surface temperature would climb."

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/44250/clouds-and-global-warming

And again with shooting the messenger....I'm not saying this guy is 100% correct and all other theories are crap, but the vehemence that's shown to any data points at all that veer from the current party line and it's like you're talking about someone's mom. It's cult-like.

That's never stopped your bias, before...

Jul 14, 2019, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Speaking of man made climate change ]

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

fake news

Jul 15, 2019, 10:22 AM

doesn't fit the narrative

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Replies: 22
| visibility 753
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic