Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rose Breasted Grosbeak
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 23
| visibility 1,101

Rose Breasted Grosbeak

Apr 18, 2024, 10:47 AM

The Rose Breasted Grosbeak migrated through SC and NC in late April and May. I am in the upstate and see them at my feeders in the first or second week of May. They only stay a few days and usually there are only 3 or 4. The summer in the mountains of NC.

THEY LIKE BLACK OIL SUNFLOWER SEEDS. They do not stay at the feeder very long and may visit 6'7 times a day. They will suddenly appear one day and leave just as quickly a few days later.

Beautiful birds. Hope you are lucky enough to see one.

I'm on cell phone and can't get picture to post. Google Rose Breasted Grosbeak for picture or video.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rose Breasted Grosbeak

Apr 18, 2024, 10:51 AM

That's awesome. The blue Grosbeak is my favorite. Haven't seen one yet.

Hummingbirds are here. Gotta get my feeder out

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2024, 2:56 PM

Lucky to see one??? Turds are banging my bedroom window at 6 am!! Then they go bang another window etc etc.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2024, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Rose Breasted Grosbeak ]

Its wide open in Charleston. Painted Buntings on the feeder, Hummingbirds on the orange honeysuckle, Blue Birds all over the place and I saw a Goldfinch while I was walking to dog the other evening.

Apr 18, 2024, 10:51 AM

https://youtu.be/ATGSA-nOJhE?si=bDVFm0xSDhbzzfok

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2024, 11:06 AM

I picked one up in the Midlands about a week ago for a few days on Merlin. Didn't spot it unfortunately and supposing now that I won't anytime soon after reading about their migration pattern. Fortunate to live in a very attractive location near town for a wide variety of birds.

Go Birds!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2024, 11:17 AM

When I lived in the midlands I saw them every year about this time. I lived in the country on 17 acres with plenty of trees surrounding me. I had at least 6 feeders out, plus my deer/turkey feeders which I kept filled year round. Did not kill either as I hunted for 50 years but gave it up. I especially liked seeing the Pilated Woodpeckers. Large gorgeous birds. I miss all the wildlife I had on the property. Even saw A Bobcat a few times.

Apr 18, 2024, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Rose Breasted Grosbeak ]

Love Merlin. It's a cool app.

Apr 18, 2024, 11:21 AM

I will have to look at that app. Thanks.

Apr 18, 2024, 11:22 AM

I too live an area (NC piedmont) where we have a brief sighting of them from time to time. One of my favorite yearly visitors is only seen maybe a day or two and that is wood ducks. I live in a very wooded area with very tall trees near a small lake. The momma and poppa wood duck couple come every year and fly from tree to tree, way up, looking for a place to nest. There is just something funny to me seeing a couple ducks in the trees like that.

We also get to see our share of bald eagles, cooper and red shouldered hawks, lots of barred owls too. Time to refill my feeders now that I think about it.

Apr 18, 2024, 11:26 AM

Awesome. Esp. Eagles in upstate SC.

Apr 18, 2024, 11:26 AM

Oops, NC.

I thought this was going to be

Apr 18, 2024, 12:07 PM

a recipe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Had one on my feeder a couple of years ago.

Apr 18, 2024, 12:23 PM
Grosbeak.jpg(49.1 K)

Cool looking bird.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2024, 2:23 PM
IMG_5306.JPG(60.3 K)
IMG_5319.JPG(75.2 K)

Awesome birds! these pigs were taken May 7 last year at my bird feeder in Belton SC

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regarding seeing them in the NC mtns ...

Apr 18, 2024, 2:27 PM

If you are a hardy enough hiker to make it up there they are quite common on the balds in the southern half of the Great Smoky Mountains during the summer months.

I would see them there on a few occasions, but that was back in the 90s when I still lived in the area.

I live in Black-Headed Grosbeak territory now.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-headed_Grosbeak/overview

Re: Regarding seeing them in the NC mtns ...

Apr 18, 2024, 6:44 PM

Never seen a black headed grosbeak. Beautiful.

Apr 18, 2024, 3:49 PM

I’ve had them too except these had yellow color. As you described,love sunflower seeds. In about two days they wiped out around ten pounds of seeds. Have two feeders a hundred feet apart and they would glide from one to the other.

Yellow ones are Evening Grosbeak ...

Apr 18, 2024, 4:25 PM

Did they look like this:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Evening_Grosbeak/overview

Re: Yellow ones are Evening Grosbeak ...

Apr 18, 2024, 4:49 PM

That looks like them. Beautiful huh?

Re: Yellow ones are Evening Grosbeak ...

Apr 18, 2024, 6:47 PM

It looks like every grosbeak species is beautiful. That very large beak is a sunflower eating machine.

I thought this was oene fo those what is for supper threads.***

Apr 18, 2024, 4:50 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MODS!!!!

Apr 18, 2024, 4:51 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2024, 8:39 PM

we have a pair, male and female travel through every year

when we were in clinton, a large flock of evening grosbeaks would visit our feeders

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1,101
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next