Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is my baseball criticism fair?
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 10
| visibility 701

Is my baseball criticism fair?

May 11, 2024, 5:18 PM

Love this team, and I've watched every single game, even though I'm more of a football fan. It's so hard to watch sometimes because I think they do really stupid things. If they could clean some of it up it would be really hard to get anything from us.

For instance, sending the runner from 2nd with 1 out on a short left field hit was dumb.

Few games ago, Purify was showing bunt with 2 outs and hunted foul out. Like ### guys you can get out swinging with a chance to HR or drive the runs in on base. I understand small ball, but its usually in a tighter game with runs at a premium. This obsession with Purify bunting is rough to watch. Also, the wild pitches, trying to do too much with the ball making plays when there's nothing there, etc.

As I type this we just sent Purify to second and got thrown out for the second out. Quit trying to steal runs and earn them. We are good enough.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is my baseball criticism fair?

May 11, 2024, 5:26 PM

Definitely fair criticism and I wish our lame Clemson media had the guts to ask tough questions. May get a pat answer but at least you tried.

This baserunning crap has been here for a long time. Thought it might stop with new coaching but apparently that's too big an ask. We should have at a minimum, two more runs. And possibly more.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2024, 5:38 PM

I've got a few pet peeves with sports. One is effort, which isn't an issue with our baseball team, and one is giving things away. Make them earn everything. Everything. Be annoyingly stingy. This baseball team is good, really good, but they just give crap away all the time like it doesn't matter. Some stupid in the moment plays, and some just lack of focus or bad coaching IMO. Not saying I'd rather be disciplined and bad at baseball, but we're leaving more on the table guys. Can't do this in Omaha.

that was a problem whem Legget was head coach***

May 11, 2024, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Is my baseball criticism fair? ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2024, 5:30 PM

It’s all metrics. The percentage of scoring rises significantly with a runner on second vs a runner on first. Not saying I agree with all of it but pretty sure that’s why

May 11, 2024, 5:44 PM

I have no problem with purify trying to steal. It's at least 4 times this year we've got picked off for too big a lead. With top of the order coming up, a hit and run is probably the better call. And purify is good enough to steal without a huge lead at first. Wait til the pitcher at least comes set to wind-up. Left handed batter to protect the plate and swing... I like our chances with purify.

Fastlane Tiger

May 11, 2024, 5:38 PM

I think it’s a fair ask but we aren’t watching the Braves I would remind ppl of that… I promise we aren’t the only college baseball team that has questionable decisions that are made by players or coaches on the field. We just only watch us play mostly. It sucks when we do things like this in big games and it’ll be amplified even more come post season… a couple more runs is a huge deal when every run matters. But if they don’t make good throws on the play at home and purify steal no one is bashing it. Give them credit for making great throws also, gotta take some chances.

May 11, 2024, 5:53 PM

True, and agree. But crighton isn't a burner. It was a short, fast hit. You've got to know your opponent and your players. Purify or cam, maybe you try.

May 11, 2024, 7:01 PM

Agree with that. Creighton ain't the guy to send. But fair point on the Braves. Can't expect perfection. I'm also not exactly keeping track of other teams errors.

No I dont think it

May 11, 2024, 8:13 PM

NM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2024, 6:44 AM

They give up a lot of runs which I blame on the quality of the pitching. I think we're a work in progress that's ahead of schedule.

Replies: 10
| visibility 701
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next