Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let this crap from Tennessee be a lesson to all of us.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Let this crap from Tennessee be a lesson to all of us.

Nov 30, 2017, 2:28 PM

They fired Phillip Fulmer in 2007.

The last time Tennessee won 10 games?
Under Phillip Fulmer.

They fired Phillip Fulmer after a losing season.
How many losing seasons did Fulmer have? 2.... in 17 years
How many losing seasons has Tennessee had in the 9 seasons since? 5

Phillip Fulmer finished in the top-15 on 11 occasions.
How many since then? 0 in the top-20

Why did they fire Phillip Fulmer?

Unreasonable expectations based on previous success by....Phillip Fulmer.
Anyone care to argue that firing Phillip Fulmer worked out well? They hired the hottest coach in the country at the time. Ended in disaster in ways that fans didn't anticipate.

But because of fan/booster pressure they started out on a shaky path that has now culminated into a nationally recognized humiliation. They all want to blame each other, but the whole apparatus is responsible from the fans up.

Imagine in 8 years Dabo being on the hot seat after a losing season. Don't be that guy. Learn from history. Don't ever let this be us.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why Tennessee deserves what's happened to them

Nov 30, 2017, 2:32 PM

FSU does also. They let Jimbo and a few boosters ease Bobby out. Bobby Bowden built FSU Football and should have had the Farewell Tour year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jimbo was hired years in advance as CIW; there was

Nov 30, 2017, 2:52 PM

a bonus in place should Bowden not retire by that time and as promised - Bobby was to turn 80 that year.

Fulmer was in his mid 50s when he got run and seemed a knee-jerk reaction at the time, more so now, hind sight being what it be & benefiting from its perspicuous luciditys.

It can't be easy to part with a legend, see Beamer and the VaTech situation or Clemson & Jack HOF Leggett, but the situations between Tennessee & FSU don't seem similar beyond parting ways with a HC.

Fortunately in some situations, Coach Wilhelm, he was ready to walk away. Maybe Bobby and Frank struggled a bit more with it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beamer was treated right by VT, they did it right.

Nov 30, 2017, 3:16 PM

Heck for the 1st 2 seasons,Fuente has chosen a special player to wear Beamer's Number each. Jimbo went to a select group of Boosters and pulled his "gonna go somewhere else" crap if Bowden didn't retire NOW! (sound familiar ? He's pulled it the last 3 years)

VaTech forced Beamer out, FSU included Bobby in the process

Nov 30, 2017, 3:25 PM

planning years ahead with a HCIW and putting conditions in place should Bobby do what Bobby did, fight the bit.

Bobby had 3+ years to say goodbye, more than Frank was afforded. He was not given options.

The OP showed what happens when things go terribly wrong and included a long list of what Tennessee had before and after.

FSU won a national title, play for another[CFP] and several ACC Championships.

Does not seem remotely the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Beamer was treated right by VT, they did it right.

Dec 1, 2017, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Beamer was treated right by VT, they did it right. ]

JimBo is proving that he is selfish and self centered and will always cry that enough isn't never enough for him. He is the type that will never be happy around anybody that he doesn't have more than anybody he chooses as friends or associates with. In other world, his needs are to be better than anyone he is close to, he has to be the man, the King of his world!!! But when the truth is really told, he is just another piece of shiot!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jimbo was hired years in advance as CIW; there was

Dec 1, 2017, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Jimbo was hired years in advance as CIW; there was ]

Absolutely agree. And I still feel that it was time for Jack to go peacefully on his own, but his stubbornness interfered with his logical thinking that led to a forced resignation that equaled being fired. As bad a I hated the whole ordeal, D-RAD done what was necessary and had to be done. At this point, coach Lee seems to be doing the right thing to get our Baseball team heading back to the college world series!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jimbo was hired years in advance as CIW; there was

Dec 1, 2017, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Jimbo was hired years in advance as CIW; there was ]

Coach Wilhelm was a very complex individual. We all suffer from our own complexes, but one thing for sure Coach Wilhelm spent his career at Clemson because he loved the place, his job and CLEMSON. He walked away when he knew it was time. Long live the memory of Coach Bill Wilhelm!!!

Message was edited by: gunstock15®

Coach Wilhelm was a long time family friend. He wasn't

Dec 1, 2017, 12:58 PM

as much complex as a man of devout integrity and none too shy to share his thoughts concerning things over which he had influence. He got your attention.

He hand picked Coach Leggett and probably would have kicked some ##### at the way Coach Leggett was treated, rather poorly, by many.

Anyway, great man who took a 10 year old's last dollar in a bet, not because he needed the money, but it was the right thing to do.

The dollar was mine, that bastich.

Haha.

Amen***

Nov 30, 2017, 2:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..and amen.***

Dec 1, 2017, 12:35 PM

we've lived this story already.....

Nov 30, 2017, 2:38 PM

Remember a guy named Danny Ford?

Remember Clemson Football wandering aimlessly for 20 years?

I do. Clearly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^ this***

Nov 30, 2017, 2:54 PM

null

Nevermind the fact he didn't win the SEC his last 10 years

Nov 30, 2017, 2:39 PM

At UT. I don't care who you are, that will get you fired.

and they have not won SEC since Fulmer was fired. So what

Nov 30, 2017, 8:05 PM

did firing Fulmer accomplish? Had they kept Fulmer, they might have at least won a division title. They would also have more money. They are now known as He Haw U

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: and they have not won SEC since Fulmer was fired. So what

Dec 1, 2017, 12:47 PM

LOL!!! When Fulmer was at UT, recruits like Tee Higgins and Amari Rodgers didn't leave Tennessee for greener pastures!!!

Re: and they have not won SEC since Fulmer was fired. So what

Dec 1, 2017, 12:55 PM [ in reply to and they have not won SEC since Fulmer was fired. So what ]

Maybe they can clone Jr. Sample for their new coach. BR-549

Re: Let this crap from Tennessee be a lesson to all of us.

Nov 30, 2017, 2:42 PM

Excellent post. Lot of Clemson fans are good at appreciating what Dabo has done for our program. Some need reminders like this. Very few programs are immune from long stretches of mediocrity and irrelevance.

So you're saying, give Dabo the boot...?

Nov 30, 2017, 2:46 PM

if he doesn't bring home another national championship this season?

Totally on bored.

Re: So you're saying, give Dabo the boot...?

Dec 1, 2017, 12:56 PM

I'll say that people wanting to use their boot for kicking a coach like Dabo out, they don't have any kind of a clue of just how hard winning at the level where Clemson is now is to do. How many NC winners have we seen come back and play in the title the next year, and not even talking about being still as good as we are now. It's only a hand full in the history of college FB. A lot of teams will make it back, but not the following year and surely not 3 times back to back to back. Most winners of the Title games do it with a roster full of seniors and a few juniors!!!

As far as I am concerned Dabo will never be on the hot seat

Nov 30, 2017, 2:50 PM

contract for life. Losing with Dabo is better than winning with most.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best post on here in quite a while.***

Nov 30, 2017, 3:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: As far as I am concerned Dabo will never be on the hot seat

Nov 30, 2017, 3:36 PM [ in reply to As far as I am concerned Dabo will never be on the hot seat ]

I agree with you, Neal! Clean program, high graduation rate, quality players and coaches - winning is a great bonus!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As far as I am concerned Dabo will never be on the hot seat

Nov 30, 2017, 3:40 PM [ in reply to As far as I am concerned Dabo will never be on the hot seat ]

> contract for life. Losing with Dabo is better than
> winning with most.

Funny, that's how a lot of people feel about Trump.

(I keed, i keed) :)

They said that about Fulmer and Bowden.

Dec 3, 2017, 9:12 PM [ in reply to As far as I am concerned Dabo will never be on the hot seat ]

It's NEVER that way. That's the point of my post. Human nature always kicks in.

Pretty sure whomever our President and AD at the time.

Nov 30, 2017, 2:51 PM

Will listen to fans about as much as they did when Dabo was hired.Hope that eases your soul a lil bit.

Re: Pretty sure whomever our President and AD at the time.

Dec 1, 2017, 1:01 PM

Even though I was OK with Dabo from the start, and that was only bc I had read enough about Dobo to know that he was a very smart man. It was still a huge risk hiring a coach with no HC or coordinator experience. It really was!!!

If social media was as prevalent 10 years ago, Clemson fans may have Schiano'd Dabo

Nov 30, 2017, 3:04 PM

Nah, let me change that to would have Schiano'd Dabo. At least many of the geniuses on this board.

Ten years ago we were like Tennessee is today. Holding on to past glory and thinking we were a destination school because we had won a national championship once upon a time.

Had the AD and admin listened to TigerNet, I highly doubt we would have the 2nd championship nor be inline to garner a third.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As I recall, there was plenty of social media and plenty of

Dec 3, 2017, 9:27 PM

unrest. Thankfully, most on the BOT and boosters trusted Terry Don Phillips.

Nov 30, 2017, 3:08 PM

HATFIELD IS IN AS COACH AT CLEMSON
January 22, 1990

CLEMSON, S.C., JAN. 21 -- Ken Hatfield left Arkansas, his alma mater, today and accepted the football coaching job at troubled Clemson, where a threatened player boycott was averted after he met with the Tigers team.

Hatfield, who coached the Razorbacks for six years and led them to 55 victories and the Cotton Bowl the past two seasons, replaces Danny Ford, who resigned under pressure Thursday, less than two weeks after the NCAA accused Clemson of recruiting violations for the second time in his 12 years as coach.

The deal was closed in less than 48 hours, according to Hatfield, and was done so quickly that he said contract negotiations have not been completed. He is expected to receive a long-term contract package worth at least $300,000 annually. Hatfield confirmed he had encountered differences of opinion with Arkansas Athletic Director Frank Broyles, but declined to be specific.

Outside Memorial Stadium, where Hatfield's hiring was announced, about 200 Ford supporters called for the resignation of Clemson President Max Lennon and Athletic Director Bobby Robinson. Lennon was booed heavily as he made his way to his car, but Robinson slipped out a side entrance accompanied by law enforcement agents.

Some of the fans carried signs supporting Ford. One read, "Bring Danny Back -- Fire Robinson and Lennon."

"We understand it's a very difficult situation and time, but I promise you that things will work out," Hatfield said. "There's nothing that can't be accomplished if everybody's part of the team and you're part of something that's bigger than yourself."

Robinson said it took a person of "great strength and fortitude and confidence" to take the job following the NCAA investigation and the uproar surrounding Ford's resignation.

"We looked and we talked to a lot of people. The name that we always kept coming to was Ken Hatfield," Robinson said. "I just hope that all the Clemson people will appreciate him as much as he's been appreciated everywhere else because he's going to do the job. He's going to earn your respect and appreciation -- and most of all he's a winner."

Hatfield compiled a 55-17-1 record at Arkansas, guiding the Razorbacks to six bowl apperances in as many years. His bowl record at Arkansas, however, was 1-5, including Cotton Bowl losses to Tennessee (31-27 in 1990) and UCLA (17-3 in 1989).

Robinson said he sought Ford's resignation because of "an honest difference of opinion on certain basic aspects of the football program." The decision was not met kindly by fans, to whom Ford delivered a national championship in 1981, or the players, who Saturday threatened to boycott the 1990 season if Ford was not rehired or one of his assistants named.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1990/01/22/hatfield-is-in-as-coach-at-clemson/fe885784-d0a4-412f-9519-381c7f274f35/?utm_term=.680530606e79

and it was a long slow slide until Dabo too.. man.. tough to

Nov 30, 2017, 3:34 PM

relive in my mind. we stunk for a long time.

Dec 1, 2017, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Let this crap from Tennessee be a lesson to all of us. ]

Guess who the noble statesman was that stepped out of the shadows that day to pour some oil on those troubled waters? None other than Coach Frank Howard, because he also had an undying love for CLEMSON.

Dec 1, 2017, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Let this crap from Tennessee be a lesson to all of us. ]

I remember all that well, and it was a very sad day Clemson Nation, and we have surely suffered more than we should have for a school that had as solid of a FB fan base as we've had at Clemson for so long. But I think that most of our suffering came from the Board of Trustee's holding back the funds to keep up our facilities and for hiring top college FB coaches. I could be as wrong as hanging an innocent man, but that's what I think....

By this logic, we'd still have Tommy Bowden

Nov 30, 2017, 3:22 PM

Just sayin

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: By this logic, we'd still have Tommy Bowden

Nov 30, 2017, 8:14 PM

Not exactly. Bowden didn't even win a conference championship - much less a national championship like Fulmer did at UT. We got rid of Bowden because we were tired of year after year of mediocracy.

Tommy Bowden accomplished want Phil Fulmer did?

Dec 1, 2017, 12:37 PM [ in reply to By this logic, we'd still have Tommy Bowden ]

No.

Just saying.

Um... What?

Dec 3, 2017, 9:12 PM [ in reply to By this logic, we'd still have Tommy Bowden ]

Did Tommy Bowden win a national championship?

Ridiculous comparison.

No sense of perspective.

Nov 30, 2017, 3:29 PM

You're absolutely right. Phil Fulmer was the best thing to ever happen to Tennesse. They were a nationally recognized power year after year.

Since he left they haven't approached their former prestige.

UT has hissyfitted itself into another decade of suck.***

Nov 30, 2017, 7:34 PM

Dabo will leave on his own terms

Nov 30, 2017, 7:48 PM

Nothing about his hire or tenure has been conventional. Neither will his departure. He wi be in control of it

Nov 30, 2017, 8:04 PM

well that's a decent post...

PUT HUNTER JOHNSON IN THERE!!

Dec 1, 2017, 12:33 PM

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Too late...we’ve already gone there and wrote the book on it

Dec 1, 2017, 5:25 PM

After Danny was fired. Took us 25+ years to recover.

Dec 3, 2017, 9:33 PM

Firing Fulmer could have been arguably the right call. The devastation began when they chose the crown prince of D-bags as his successor. He is the one that wrecked Tennessee.

If anything should be learned, it's that you don't fire a

Dec 3, 2017, 9:33 PM

coach without a plan of how you're going to move forward. Either with an interim or a good idea of who you want and whether they will come. Tennessee's error was giving in to their fans. They should have gone forward with Schiano if that's who they wanted.

Dec 3, 2017, 9:37 PM

I also think the firing of Fulmer upset a lot of coaches, and has impacted their ability to attract a bigger name coach. This latest situation has only made that worse.

Dec 3, 2017, 9:38 PM

in 8 years Dabo will have at least 3 or 4 more national championships........Go Tigers!!!!!

Dec 3, 2017, 10:38 PM

We already learned that lesson, it was called firing Coach Ford.

The fans didn't call for that. Different sitch.***

Dec 4, 2017, 12:34 PM

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic